[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Is Elias Pettersson Waiting for Elite Level Money?

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli, commented on the reason the Canucks don’t yet have an extension done with superstar forward Elias Pettersson: “I don’t think he’s going anywhere… the reason he’s not signed is that he believes he’s a 102-110 point player every year…he wants to be paid like that…Canucks didn’t put that money on the table.”

Earlier reports were that Pettersson wants to see how the season unfolds before committing long-term. Seravalli seems to be suggesting this is less about how good the Canucks will be and more about Pettersson wanting the big money and having another huge season where he’ll prove he’s a 100-points or more player.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-september-26-2023/

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Is Elias Pettersson Waiting for Elite Level Money?

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli, commented on the reason the Canucks don’t yet have an extension done with superstar forward Elias Pettersson: “I don’t think he’s going anywhere… the reason he’s not signed is that he believes he’s a 102-110 point player every year…he wants to be paid like that…Canucks didn’t put that money on the table.”

Earlier reports were that Pettersson wants to see how the season unfolds before committing long-term. Seravalli seems to be suggesting this is less about how good the Canucks will be and more about Pettersson wanting the big money and having another huge season where he’ll prove he’s a 100-points or more player.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-september-26-2023/

Most likely the Canucks offered him Barzal money and his agent told them to f*ck off.  Petey is a superstar and wants to be paid as such.  Dahlin is asking for $10.5 million.  Petey is at minimum a $10.5 million player.  But now that the Canucks lowballed him he will simply wait it out, put up another 100+ point season and then ask for a 12x8 contract...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I like the long-necked one a lot, I really do, but it seems like a bit of a gamble on his part if that's his/agent's strategy(s)

He could still have a (respectable) drop off 80ish point season, which would undoubtedly change the scope of negotiations, to his detriment

I may be in the minority here, but I also don't think he is $11M elite level yet (he will be)...his body of work so far in 5 seasons is at 1 PPG

Maybe I'm just not a fan of "paying forward" contracts, I'm old school "show me/earn your pay"

And I don't even like 8 year contracts TBH, I miss the old days of 4 or 5 yrs max...teams didn't get stale with players floating through the years (like some of our present and near past have done) so often as we see throughout the league now, especially with players waiting until "contract year" to amp it up, after sucking eggs for previous seasons.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I like the long-necked one a lot, I really do, but it seems like a bit of a gamble on his part if that's his/agent's strategy(s)

He could still have a (respectable) drop off 80ish point season, which would undoubtedly change the scope of negotiations, to his detriment

I may be in the minority here, but I also don't think he is $11M elite level yet (he will be)...his body of work so far in 5 seasons is at 1 PPG

Maybe I'm just not a fan of "paying forward" contracts, I'm old school "show me/earn your pay"

And I don't even like 8 year contracts TBH, I miss the old days of 4 or 5 yrs max...teams didn't get stale with players floating through the years (like some of our present and near past have done) so often as we see throughout the league now, especially with players waiting until "contract year" to amp it up, after sucking eggs for previous seasons.

If he drops off to 80-85 points he is still going to get Barzal money which is apparently what they offered him.  So there is zero risk to Petey to not sign right now.  He can just walk to free agency and easily get over $10 million from any team...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I agree with most of what you say, but I'm also okay with him gambling on himself to prove that he can improve upon last year. 

And if he does, obviously, he'll be a much better bargaining position for his next deal. 

I personally am not worried, like some others, who feel he may want out of Vancouver. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Petey wants the bread, we need Celebrini to say he'll only play in Vancouver and we ship off Petey and our 1st rounder for the 1st overall pick. Get er dun.

Petey + our 2024 first for Celebrini? 
I think that’s a bad move unless we were heading into a deep diving, 5-7 year rebuild. 
Considering we have a great goalie, and a fantastic number one D, a super 2C, and Petey is a top 5 number one C it’s a lot smarter to pay him and continue to build around that core than trying to draft a new core. 
What are the chances we draft in the next 5 to 7 years a core as elite as we already have? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey + our 2024 first for Celebrini? 
I think that’s a bad move unless we were heading into a deep diving, 5-7 year rebuild. 
Considering we have a great goalie, and a fantastic number one D, a super 2C, and Petey is a top 5 number one C it’s a lot smarter to pay him and continue to build around that core than trying to draft a new core. 
What are the chances we draft in the next 5 to 7 years a core as elite as we already have? 

Yeah I agree. A move like that would contradict the complete now mode and create a massive hole in our top 6 centre position. It is a “rebuild” move that would never happen. 

Team has a great spine. Needs the support players to pick it up and the new additions/coach will help.

This is more than money. It’s about being in a team that works and succeeds at a high level.

Petey will re-sign once we make the top 3 division and win a couple rounds in the playoffs. It will happen and these bozo critics will eat their words. 

11 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

4-5 year contracts as a max would be great. Other than that I don’t see how Petey not signing yet is much of a risk for his end outside of any possible health issues. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he drops off to 80-85 points he is still going to get Barzal money which is apparently what they offered him.  So there is zero risk to Petey to not sign right now.  He can just walk to free agency and easily get over $10 million from any team...

even if he drops off to 80-85 points he's going to get MORE than Barzal's money.. Barzal is a .9ppg guy.. a giveaway machine.. doesn't hit doesn't block horrible on faceoff and never even back to ppg guy ever since the first season where he gets to pad his stats with tavares on the pp. to me 9mil is a lowball.. i get you start negotiation low and work your way up, and sure there's a risk with EP regressing a little but he's been at this pace of over 1.5 seasons now playing with a constant rotation of wingers. i dunno i'd feel like if they offered barzal's contract it's a slap in the face considering barzal is inferior in every category.. not quite the horvat slap in the face when they started the contract negotiation with a paycut but nevertheless a slap in the face. so if he goes out and have 40+ goals 110 points season.. while still doing his job defensively.. does that all of a sudden put him in mackinnon/matthew's range? maybe closer to matthew factoring in the cap rising. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's exactly it, he's getting paid regardless. He'll also have the Canucks by the balls, who else are they going to play at 1C? Miller? Yeah, that'd bode will for having a lengthier window, sure. The Canucks aren't getting a 1C from another team or via UFA and they know it, Pettersson's camp also knows this. If the Canucks plan on contending at all within the next 3-5 years they can't afford to not pay Pettersson. 

Barzal got just over 9M, even if Petterson drops to within an 80-90 point range he probably still gets 10.5M or more, particularly given the cap will be rising. Barzal's career high is 85 points, he got that during his rookie year back in 17-18. Petterson just broke 100 points last season, he has that elusive three bracket production to point to and has the benefit of having done so recently.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's exactly it, he's getting paid regardless. He'll also have the Canucks by the balls, who else are they going to play at 1C? Miller? Yeah, that'd bode will for having a lengthier window, sure. The Canucks aren't getting a 1C from another team or via UFA and they know it, Pettersson's camp also knows this. If the Canucks plan on contending at all within the next 3-5 years they can't afford to not pay Pettersson. 

Barzal got just over 9M, even if Petterson drops to within an 80-90 point range he probably still gets 10.5M or more, particularly given the cap will be rising. Barzal's career high is 85 points, he got that during his rookie year back in 17-18. Petterson just broke 100 points last season, he has that elusive three bracket production to point to and has the benefit of having done so recently.

And Barzal is now officially a winger that can play center in a pinch lol he’s gonna have Horvat as his linemate for the foreseeable future imo and move over to the wing since Horvat is superior in terms of center responsibility and capability. Prolly frees up barzal to be more aggressive on the line and take more chances offensively. Barzal is a horrible comparison now. If RNH have another 100+ point season are they going to use him as a comparable lol

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

The longer this drags out, the more non sense the media will continue to stir up through the regular season. Friedman didn't predict the Scheifele and Hellebyuk signings and now he turns his attention to Canucks and make stuff up.

I know Petey wants to focus on his game but I swear he will get asked about this every post game. 

On 9/26/2023 at 10:45 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Most likely the Canucks offered him Barzal money and his agent told them to f*ck off.  Petey is a superstar and wants to be paid as such.  Dahlin is asking for $10.5 million.  Petey is at minimum a $10.5 million player.  But now that the Canucks lowballed him he will simply wait it out, put up another 100+ point season and then ask for a 12x8 contract...

how the fuck does management lowball your best player? 

2 hours ago, Wing said:

The longer this drags out, the more non sense the media will continue to stir up through the regular season. Friedman didn't predict the Scheifele and Hellebyuk signings and now he turns his attention to Canucks and make stuff up.

I know Petey wants to focus on his game but I swear he will get asked about this every post game. 

Petey will be fine. Though, it will be annoying being asked the same question about his contract throughout the season - which is why the contract should have been done ideally before the season. Look what it did to Bo before he was shipped out of town. 

Petey basically the biggest fish right now, after Scheifele and Hellebuyk has signed to long term contracts. Could be a media circus for Petey, and a huge gamble. Could you imagine if this drags on, and it hurts his offensive production/output and he doesn't score 100 points? What then? If he's still looking to be paid as a 100+ point producer, but he didn't hit that mark, then management is going to offer him what they feel is a fair contract (whatever that is that they think that might be). 

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

A clown trying to get noticed.

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah, i saw this as well. true or is Friedman making stuff up? 

Definitely seems like Friedman trying to stir the pot. 

the part I hate about this is if petey truly just doesn’t want any distractions during the season, why not sign and get it over with. The longer this gets dragged out the more nonsense will get spewed by the toxic media

If Pettersson ends up being traded, I wonder if Anahiem would be a good partner. They are having some issues with Zegras's contract and they have Jamie Drysdale as a good RD. 

Would be nice to get those two back in a package. 

To Van - Zegras, Drysdale 

To Anahiem - Pettersson, Myers, pick 

Bouviller Zegras Kuzmenko 

PDG Miller Boeser 

Joshua Suter Garland 

Aman Blueger Lafferty 

Hughes Drysdale

Cole Hronek 

Soucy ______