[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Hopefully a deal can get done at 8 x 11. I think that would end up being a good value for the team, and if Petey values winning so much then he shouldn't be fighting for that last bit to get in the 12 range. He hasn't done enough to earn the Mackinnon or Matthews level deals yet.

Boy is that Jack Hughes 8x 8 looking like the new (and maybe even better) version of the Mackinnon 7 x 6.3. If only we had the cap to sign Petey and Quinn to 8 year deals at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know we're judging this after a hat-trick game but he's on pace for 145 points lol. Hughes has looked unreal but is maybe slowing down a bit. Somehow Jack is a +0, Petey +7, and Jack has a 33% faceoff percentage whereas Petey is just over 50%.

You could easily argue that Petey is the best player in the world right now stats-wise. 2 points less than Hughes in 1 more game played but look at all the other intangibles.

The longer this season goes on and the better Petey gets, the more he's going to deserve. We should have tried to sign him to an 11M deal when we had the chance. This man could clean up at the awards and take home the Selke easily, but the Hart is floating around right now. Jack deserves the MVP right now but Bratt's scoring is right up there and they're arguably the far better team, and McDavid is nowhere to be seen so far.

Obviously it's a long season but at the 10 game mark, if awards were handed out now, Petey would be in the running for the Art Ross, Hart and Selke. That smells like 12+M to me. 

Yeah, Pettersson is putting himself into McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews salary territory as one of the top forwards in the entire league. At this point anything under 12M avg would be a bargain, but the longer he keeps this up the more likely it is that we'll be paying 12M+. 

• Upvote 2

Swedish players are smarter than American players. Dahlin signed a bridge deal and now is breaking the bank on a new 8 year extension. Petey will be doing the same thing. 

Compare that to Jack Hughes who jumped on the money right away and now is underpaid by like $4 million a year already in only his second year of his new deal. Even brother Quinn did the same thing with a longer term deal and is now underpaid for for the next 4 years by around $3 million. Tage Thompson totally screwed up. Should have signed short term as well but took the money on a long term deal. 

Nylander who is basically Swedish as well is doing the same thing maximizing his value this year for a huge payday. These Swedish players are smart. Can’t really find any top elite Swedish players that are vastly underpaid with a long term contract. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Swedish players are more selfish than other players. Dahlin signed a bridge deal and now is breaking the bank on a new 8 year extension. Petey will hopefully not be doing the same thing. 

Compare that to Jack Hughes who took a team friendly deal and now is underpaid by like $4 million a year already in only his second year of his new deal. Even brother Quinn did the same thing for his team with a longer term deal and is now underpaid for for the next 4 years by around $3 million. Tage Thompson also put his team first. Could have signed short term as well but took  a long term deal. 

Nylander who is isn't Swedish (but I'm going to pretend he is)  is doing the same thing maximizing his value this year for a huge payday. These "Swedish" players are selfish. Can’t really find any top elite Swedish players that are vastly underpaid with a long term contract. Curious.

There. FTFY.

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, Devil's locked him in early and it's paid off beautifully, Jack blew the hell up. At the time many of us weren't as keen on the deal. https://forum.canucks.com/topic/399334-signing-devils-re-sign-jack-hughes/

Jack absolutely took the money at the time. 

I don't see why folks fuss about players asking for what they're worth, or managing their careers in a way that allows them to maximize their earnings. I get that folks are biased because they look at it through the lens of wanting their team to have a favourable cap structure, but that's selfish too. There's nothing wrong with Elias securing the bag at all, it's not his job to manage the team's salary structure or to take less so management can do x or y. 

We finally have a legit superstar, we should be goddamn thankful if he wants to sign long-term at all. Top players almost always get paid market value or more, Elias is likely a top ten NHL forward. 

Exactly.  Didn't Wayne Gretzky also take the bag in LA?  He was going to play out the last year of his contract too and become a UFA.  Gretzky even admitted this and said he wanted to make sure he got proper value.  Pocklington low balled him in the summer and that's when the trade happened.  That Edmonton team could have easily stayed together and won another 4-5 cups if they had all taken team friendly deals.  But they all wanted their bag, so Pocklington had to get rid of all of them...

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  Didn't Wayne Gretzky also take the bag in LA?  He was going to play out the last year of his contract too and become a UFA.  Gretzky even admitted this and said he wanted to make sure he got proper value.  Pocklington low balled him in the summer and that's when the trade happened.  That Edmonton team could have easily stayed together and won another 4-5 cups if they had all taken team friendly deals.  But they all wanted their bag, so Pocklington had to get rid of all of them...

Fans have the luxury of being able to view hockey as entertainment, players may love the game but once you they reach the professional level they view it as a career, as their job. 

It's easy for fans to fuss about how they hope x player takes a discount because it'd be favourable for their cap scenario, but would the same fan take less than what they're worth to do x company a solid? I'm not gonna turn down 70k over 60k if it's available. The numbers are on different scales, sure, hockey players have the opportunity to make millions of dollars. But why would they take less to do a team or roster a solid when they're professionals who are part of a billion dollar league? Someone's gonna get those dollars, why not them? 

I don't have a problem with players being selfish in regards to their careers when it comes to pursuing their earning potential. Many players never even play in a final, may as well secure the bag and set your family up with intergenerational wealth. Taking less on your deal doesn't guarantee anything as far as winning a championship goes. The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win in sports, most guys are lucky if they get even one crack at it. It's a 32 team league and I expect that number will grow before the decade is done, most players will never win a cup. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 4

I think we get a solid RHD plus one more good 3rd like ner we are set for years.

Keep our players down till they are ready and we could be a contender for years.

Saying this means EP and others like Hronek will want to stay.I think we see them both back if we make the playoffs and atleast get to the second round.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Hopefully a deal can get done at 8 x 11. I think that would end up being a good value for the team, and if Petey values winning so much then he shouldn't be fighting for that last bit to get in the 12 range. He hasn't done enough to earn the Mackinnon or Matthews level deals yet.

Boy is that Jack Hughes 8x 8 looking like the new (and maybe even better) version of the Mackinnon 7 x 6.3. If only we had the cap to sign Petey and Quinn to 8 year deals at the time.

Fair enough. But those two aren't showing me that their worth around $13 mil a year. 

It's still early, but hopefully we don't get sucked into some dumbass contract like that. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Fair enough. But those two aren't showing me that their worth around $13 mil a year. 

It's still early, but hopefully we don't get sucked into some dumbass contract like that.

Matthews currently has 7 goals in 9 games and leads the league in goals since his rookie season 7 years ago (2 more than Ovi). MacKinnon is having a "slow start" of 1PPG. Over the past 6 seasons he has averaged 1.36PPG which translates to a 110 point pace/season on average. MacKinnon is third in league scoring during that time behind only Draisaitl and McDavid. Both are multi-time Hart finalists and Matthews won one. If they aren't worth $13M, no one in the NHL is.

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, Pettersson is putting himself into McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews salary territory as one of the top forwards in the entire league. At this point anything under 12M avg would be a bargain, but the longer he keeps this up the more likely it is that we'll be paying 12M+. 

I guess we could argue he's feasted on lower quality opposition and is yet to face a lot of the true playoff contenders, but I think he'll still produce. 

If he ends up even top-5 in scoring he's going to warrant 12M.

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jack Hughes never took a team friendly deal. He just wasn’t smart enough to bet on himself and play out his entry level contract before signing an extension.  He should have also went for the 3 year bridge deal like the Swedish players did. He’s still kicking himself about it and probably loses sleep over it. 

Petey isn’t being selfish. It’s called taking care of yourself. NHL owners are all billionaires now. The players have a right to get as much as they can from these people. They can simply increase the cap to accommodate the players. Or give them a bigger piece of the pie. 

Totally... he's missing out on 2 or 3 Bugatti's a year.  Over the course of his contract, he could have 20+ more Bugatti's if he were just a bit smarter.  Alas, he will have to live with only $64M over 8 years of work.  Poor guy...

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Totally... he's missing out on 2 or 3 Bugatti's a year.  Over the course of his contract, he could have 20+ more Bugatti's if he were just a bit smarter.  Alas, he will have to live with only $64M over 8 years of work.  Poor guy...

Obviously you’ve never had to negotiate contracts for yourself. 

First off, the agent takes a cut of the deal. Probably up to 3%. Then the players have to put money in to the NHLPA. Then they are taxed to death by the government. So Jack isn’t getting $64 million. He’s getting less than half of that. 

Also, you probably don’t understand the concept of generational wealth. You know when you can take care of your future generations, your parents and anyone else important to you. 

Another thing is alot of these multi millionaires give back and do good in this world. They set up companies, they set up hockey schools for kids. 

Jack probably threw away $30 million. I’d like you to see how you would feel if you threw away that kind of money. Regardless how much you already have there isn’t anyone in this world who would be happy by throwing away $30 million. 

Jack will still have a good life. Nobody is feeling sorry for him that is for sure. Like you said I’m sure he’ll survive. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Obviously you’ve never had to negotiate contracts for yourself. 

First off, the agent takes a cut of the deal. Probably up to 3%. Then the players have to put money in to the NHLPA. Then they are taxed to death by the government. So Jack isn’t getting $64 million. He’s getting less than half of that. 

Also, you probably don’t understand the concept of generational wealth. You know when you can take care of your future generations, your parents and anyone else important to you. 

Another thing is alot of these multi millionaires give back and do good in this world. They set up companies, they set up hockey schools for kids. 

Jack probably threw away $30 million. I’d like you to see how you would feel if you threw away that kind of money. Regardless how much you already have there isn’t anyone in this world who would be happy by throwing away $30 million. 

Jack will still have a good life. Nobody is feeling sorry for him that is for sure. Like you said I’m sure he’ll survive. 

Honestly?  I wouldn't care that much if I lost out and ONLY had a net of $4M every year that I could invest for my 'generational wealth'.  Obviously you don't have an idea of how much money that actually is, nor what that kinda money can do for you.

$4M is the equivalent of making $100k for 40 years (or $100k for 320 years from this contract alone -- over 3 centuries worth of making $100k per year).  So he basically makes enough from THIS contract deal alone to sustain multiple family members for their entire lifetimes and that's assuming he doesn't invest a single penny into any income generating source.

If he spent 50% of his NET income of $4M every single year, but invested the rest into some stupid mutual fund that only nets a 5% return (so roughly $167k a month), afer 8 years, he will have recovered $3M+ from interest alone.  Then he takes that $19M that is currently sitting in the bank and just leaves it to compound on itself for 15 more years until he's "old" (in his 50s), and there is now nearly $40M sitting in his bank account. 

Trust me, personally if I were Jack Hughes, I wouldn't be losing sleep over this.  Kicking myself a bit?  Yeah, but I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it knowing how my grandchildren's children will probably still be setup for life if I structure things appropriately.

I'm probably one of the last people that you should be trying to coach in regards to finances and accounting on here lol.  That's literally my profession for the past 20+ years.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly?  I wouldn't care that much if I lost out and ONLY had a net of $4M every year that I could invest for my 'generational wealth'.  Obviously you don't have an idea of how much money that actually is, nor what that kinda money can do for you.

$4M is the equivalent of making $100k for 40 years (or $100k for 320 years from this contract alone -- over 3 centuries worth of making $100k per year).  So he basically makes enough from THIS contract deal alone to sustain multiple family members for their entire lifetimes and that's assuming he doesn't invest a single penny into any income generating source.

If he spent 50% of his NET income of $4M every single year, but invested the rest into some stupid mutual fund that only nets a 5% return (so roughly $167k a month), afer 8 years, he will have recovered $3M+ from interest alone.  Then he takes that $19M that is currently sitting in the bank and just leaves it to compound on itself for 15 more years until he's "old" (in his 50s), and there is now nearly $40M sitting in his bank account. 

Trust me, personally if I were Jack Hughes, I wouldn't be losing sleep over this.  Kicking myself a bit?  Yeah, but I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it knowing how my grandchildren's children will probably still be setup for life if I structure things appropriately.

I'm probably one of the last people that you should be trying to coach in regards to finances and accounting on here lol.  That's literally my profession for the past 20+ years.

Haha, I wasn't really trying to coach you, it was more like nobody is going to turn down an extra $30 million regardless of how much money they make.  I used to be in the finance world as well many years ago.  I had multi-millionaire clients.  Most of them would get upset even if they lost a few thousand dollars.  If you are in that world I am sure you know this.

He's probably not buying mutual funds with his money.  Let's hope he has a good financial advisor, unlike some of these uneducated hockey players who throw all their money away, and let's hope he is investing in real estate, corporations and some charity work as well...

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha, I wasn't really trying to coach you, it was more like nobody is going to turn down an extra $30 million regardless of how much money they make.  I used to be in the finance world as well many years ago.  I had multi-millionaire clients.  Most of them would get upset even if they lost a few thousand dollars.  If you are in that world I am sure you know this.

He's probably not buying mutual funds with his money.  Let's hope he has a good financial advisor, unlike some of these uneducated hockey players who throw all their money away, and let's hope he is investing in real estate, corporations and some charity work as well...

I agree that several millions matter even to multi-millionaires. They don't get to where they are financially by thinking a few million don't matter. With that being said, Jack will be fine with his deal. 8M for the next 8 years? After that, he can sign and rip off the Devils (if he's still with them, maybe he comes out west to Van). 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that several millions matter even to multi-millionaires. They don't get to where they are financially by thinking a few million don't matter. With that being said, Jack will be fine with his deal. 8M for the next 8 years? After that, he can sign and rip off the Devils (if he's still with them, maybe he comes out west to Van). 

He will be 29 when his deal is done.  If he is a superstar he is looking at another 8 year deal that will probably be double what he is making now.  If he plays his cards right he could still make $180 million or more as a hockey player before he retires...

• Cheers 1