[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

If he's team smart he takes $11 million or a shade less.  My money is on $11.25

If he's player smart he's $12+ without question.

Both long term deals

But then wtf is $7 ish million over a decade when you're already making $80+ million after taxes

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's the beauty of a descriptive link. You can read the title and see how banal the article will be without wasting time reading it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Any player that puts up 100 points and plays a high level two way games is a game changer. 

Also, not smiling after goal does not indicate that a player is struggling mentally.

I feel like you added absolutely nothing to the discussion. I explained why he is going to get 100 pts this year. A lot of it could be contributed to OTHER players elevated play. Hughes, Boes and Miller specifically. At a glance, it would appear that those players are making Petey better this year, and not the other way around which is what you typically look for in your #1 star player.

I also used his lack of smiling as an example, not the definitive factor. I'm sure i'm not the only one thats noticed Petey not quite playing like himself the last 6 games.

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

Toronto and Edmonton folks are been there, done that....

lol.. not sure how you are comparing toronto and edmonton to vancouver.. toronto and edmonton put all their money on forwards.. in edmonton's case they put it on nurse who's prolly at best a 7.5mil defenseman. 

toronto went out and put all their money on 3-4 players and no goalie..

top 3 in toronto = 33mil cap

top 3 in edmonton = 30.25mil cap

top 3 in vancouver even if say EP gets 12mil= 27.85

vegas won the cup last season with the top 3 making 28.3?? so they've been there and won so what's your point?

tampa won with their top 3 making 27.5.. and all of those were done before the cap going up next season?

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I feel like you added absolutely nothing to the discussion. I explained why he is going to get 100 pts this year. A lot of it could be contributed to OTHER players elevated play. Hughes, Boes and Miller specifically. At a glance, it would appear that those players are making Petey better this year, and not the other way around which is what you typically look for in your #1 star player.

I also used his lack of smiling as an example, not the definitive factor. I'm sure i'm not the only one thats noticed Petey not quite playing like himself the last 6 games.

Pettersson is dealing with an injury right now, that’s why he’s not playing like himself right now.

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Petey seems to be riding the high scoring because other guys like Boes, Hughes and Miller are having career years and are finishing the plays and Petey is picking up 2nd assists.

Also Pettersson has 11 primary assists this year so far, the 2nd highest in the entire league. 7 secondary assists, the same as Hughes.

Edited by J-23

35 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

By this metric, could it not be stated that pettersson is in fact better than he's been playing?

30 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Pettersson is dealing with an injury right now, that’s why he’s not playing like himself right now.

Also Pettersson has 11 primary assists this year so far, the 2nd highest in the entire league. 7 secondary assists, the same as Hughes.

Do we know this for sure? Or is it speculation?

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's the beauty of a descriptive link. You can read the title and see how banal the article will be without wasting time reading it. 

If we're going to spend time shitposting into the void we may as well have fun with it 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

By this metric, could it not be stated that pettersson is in fact better than he's been playing?

In theory yes. I do believe Pettersson has the potential to play even better. We've seen flashes of brilliance and creativity in the past that we haven't really seen much of this year.

Again, not saying Petey doesn't deserve a big contract. I'm just personally feeling like there's something missing and I'm nervous of the idea of paying 11m x 8 yrs. Really hoping he takes a bit of a team discount to stay

12 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I'm nervous of the idea of paying 11m x 8 yrs

This is unlikely to happen, and if EP40's camp accepted this (don't worry, they won't), GMPA would be bending over backwards to make sure his pen had ink so that there'd be no obstacles to signing.

What's more likely is that he aims for a shorter, higher contract - like a 12.5 x 4.  He doesn't need the job security at this point, he knows his worth and he knows he still has room to grow, and his prime is likely to be at a high level and can be sustained for a lengthly period of time (certainly longer than 4 years).  So this contract - a second bridge contract, if you will, will see him paid for a good time, not a long time, so he'll have a good time and his sunshine will be when he signs the contract after his 2nd bridge, when the cap will be expected to be much higher, and he can command a higher salary (not tied into this middling 12ish annual amount).

10 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Tocchet has mentioned that he is "dealing with some things". He was a game time decision for the San Jose game. Pretty obvious he is a lil banged up.

Could it be that the things he is dealing with is not necessarily a physical injury? Watching Petey the person and not Petey the player seems to suggest it could be something mental or outside of the rink that he is dealing with.

16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This is unlikely to happen, and if EP40's camp accepted this (don't worry, they won't), GMPA would be bending over backwards to make sure his pen had ink so that there'd be no obstacles to signing.

What's more likely is that he aims for a shorter, higher contract - like a 12.5 x 4.  He doesn't need the job security at this point, he knows his worth and he knows he still has room to grow, and his prime is likely to be at a high level and can be sustained for a lengthly period of time (certainly longer than 4 years).  So this contract - a second bridge contract, if you will, will see him paid for a good time, not a long time, so he'll have a good time and his sunshine will be when he signs the contract after his 2nd bridge, when the cap will be expected to be much higher, and he can command a higher salary (not tied into this middling 12ish annual amount).

I could live with a higher pay bridge deal. I'm hoping this works for both camps. Well said 6

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I could live with a higher pay bridge deal. I'm hoping this works for both camps. Well said 6

I honestly think 12.5 AAV is his floor.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's asking for a 13 or 13.5 AAV.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he settled for less than 12.5 AAV, especially on a bridge contract.

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I honestly think 12.5 AAV is his floor.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's asking for a 13 or 13.5 AAV.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he settled for less than 12.5 AAV, especially on a bridge contract.

Thats nuts though isn't it? I mean am I way off base? Petey is an amazing player, but he isn't Matthews, he isn't McDavid, he isn't Mackinnon. I really like the player, but I just don't see it.

Maybe I'm alone here. What does that do to the dynamic of the room too? If a guy like petey is making 50% more than a guy like Miller who just signed last year?

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Could it be that the things he is dealing with is not necessarily a physical injury? Watching Petey the person and not Petey the player seems to suggest it could be something mental or outside of the rink that he is dealing with.

Not everyone is some weak soi boi. 
The kid is clearly injured.  
He isnt going to pout around the ice. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Thats nuts though isn't it? I mean am I way off base? Petey is an amazing player, but he isn't Matthews, he isn't McDavid, he isn't Mackinnon. I really like the player, but I just don't see it.

Maybe I'm alone here. What does that do to the dynamic of the room too? If a guy like petey is making 50% more than a guy like Miller who just signed last year?

Miller cashed in on job security.  I don't think the figure was as important as the length of the contract.  (I mean, it's important to know how much you'll be earning each year, but that he has a 7-year extension that puts him well into "hockey retirement" age is the more critical piece for him.)

I think EP40 is worth every bit as much as the Mackinnons, the Matthews, the McOMMFGs.  He's one of the very few bona fide star players (with superstar potential) that we've ever had.  Every off-season, he's worked on different elements of his game - if people criticize him about his weight, he puts on muscle and shows he won't be pushed around; if people say he can't take a face-off to save his life, he works on beating the opponent at the face-off dot.

He's only going to get better in the next few seasons.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Why? Your big tough masculine mind couldnt possibly allow you to believe it could be anything other than an injury. I guess to you real men don't have feelings. Just daddy issues.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Miller cashed in on job security.  I don't think the figure was as important as the length of the contract.  (I mean, it's important to know how much you'll be earning each year, but that he has a 7-year extension that puts him well into "hockey retirement" age is the more critical piece for him.)

I think EP40 is worth every bit as much as the Mackinnons, the Matthews, the McOMMFGs.  He's one of the very few bona fide star players (with superstar potential) that we've ever had.  Every off-season, he's worked on different elements of his game - if people criticize him about his weight, he puts on muscle and shows he won't be pushed around; if people say he can't take a face-off to save his life, he works on beating the opponent at the face-off dot.

He's only going to get better in the next few seasons.

I think you make some fair arguments. Maybe I am off base a little bit. and with the Cap going up maybe I just have to get used to these high dollar contracts.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

This. His shot hasn't been the same this year. The young man is probably nursing a wrist injury and leading the NHL in points. Sign him to whatever, EP is a stud superstar.