[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thank you.... 

The amount of talk in these pages about Petey refusing to sign a $12M x 8 contract is nothing short of disgusting...

Almost feel like somebody is trying to make an uneasy feeling with the Canucks squad, and more importantly between Petey and the fans... 

I am not sure. Is it better that people in the org were irate vehemently denying  it. It doesn't sound like these contract negotiations / non negotiations are going well. 

It seems to happen a lot in this market some big number is leaked and floated with Myers it was 7m, Miller 10, then when they sign for a bit less this rabid fanbase calms down instead of implodes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thank you.... 

The amount of talk in these pages about Petey refusing to sign a $12M x 8 contract is nothing short of disgusting...

Almost feel like somebody is trying to make an uneasy feeling with the Canucks squad, and more importantly between Petey and the fans... 

This is the second time that number has been "leaked" though. First time was a few months back. It certainly seems odd that Petey would refuse that amount but at some point where there's enough smoke there's fire. Probably something to keep an eye on if it comes up again in the future.

More concerning to me though is if Petey truly hasn't given his agent the go-ahead to restart negotiations. I understand that he might want to focus on his play, but that's why he has an agent. The agent negotiates so that he doesn't have to and can focus on just playing.

It is very possible that Pettersson doesn't like playing in the spotlight and would prefer to go to a smaller market team or to a city with other major sports teams that take some of the attention away. He's clearly never loved the media in Vancouver going back to his death stares as a rookie. But of course maybe he re-signs in a month and all this speculation is moot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Lol what is the world coming to that fans are prioritizing Joshua and Bleuger over a top 10 scoring player in the league...

The Petey slander around here is our of this world hahaha

It is coming from a place of fear, preemptive breakup

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

IF! this is true, then it is not about money obviously. What is it then? Is any other source reporting the same thing?

Their source is likely Halford and Brough this am, second hour, you can listen to the podcast. They said, their source was Dhaliwal.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Thank you.... 

Or maybe Ricky is concerned the Canucks will shut him out? Halford and Brough said in the second hour, Dhaliwal said it was offered. So someone is lying and I don't take Halford and brough to make it up. Sounds to me like Ricky is worried that management will be upset with him and he's walking it back.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Lol what is the world coming to that fans are prioritizing Joshua and Bleuger over a top 10 scoring player in the league...

Petey slander? There's such a thing? 

• Haha 1

If the 12 mill x 8 years is true and he turned it down for whatever reason it would tell me he isn’t signing here. I don’t believe that offer was tendered and is still on the table but….

the risk of something happening or a bad season and getting less out weighs the odds of him ever getting more than that.

not sure he’d even get 11 as a ufa right now.

I think he’ll be firing his agent before he sign the lesser deal unless he’s just decided to move. 
should be a good haul for him as a RFA that can be traded to any team this summer.

anyone know what he’d get from arbitration if he qualifies 

I hope he resigns but it’s a business as they say and he’s a commodity so if he’s not happy here 🤚✌️

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Thank you! 

This is wild. The greatest center we have ever drafted and we're talking about making sure we don't lose 3rd liners or we gotta be careful not to lose Lindholm!? 

Lindholm is a rental everyone. If the reports are true and he wants 7 million plus a year with term they absolutely should let him walk (unless they can magically find a way to trade Mik and Garland without giving up assets). 

The goal of this organization should be resigning Petey to a deal. Yeah sure he can be hot and cold at times he's also on pace for 100 points again. A 4 year deal is great too. Gives him options for the next contract and Canucks have some flexibility on their end.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mac said:

pete ain't worth 12 million

we could really round out the roster into a great team by trading him

Agreed on the first bit, but....it all comes down to who we get back / who the trading partner is

Clearly, we need a team who "needs to add to start winning", because they will be the teams that have alot of good young pieces

We will need a potential 1c back, someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be as such or at worst a legit 2c...

The only teams I can think of that meet most of that criteria are Anaheim or Columbus. Columbus doesn't have that 1c (they aren't giving us Fantilli) talent in their prospect pool but need to start winning. Anaheim is sick of losing and has some 1/2c talent

I don't think we pry Leo Carlson, the Ducks would try to push Zegras to us (No thanks, can't play D), but...

Maybe

Mason Mctavish

1st rounder

and another pick?

We get a solid 1/2c with size and a temper

a high first rounder that could end up being celebrini

and a 2nd or 3rd.

My guess is the first rounder would be a challenge this year so maybe we take 2025 or Noah Warren (Big young RD) and this years second.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, FlippersUp said:

I am not sure. Is it better that people in the org were irate vehemently denying  it. It doesn't sound like these contract negotiations / non negotiations are going well. 

It seems to happen a lot in this market some big number is leaked and floated with Myers it was 7m, Miller 10, then when they sign for a bit less this rabid fanbase calms down instead of implodes. 

There is a difference between speculating and knowing... 

In the beginning of the season Peteys camp said clearly... no negotiations until the end of the season... ever since that, fans and paper hacks alike have speculated, what number he would come in at... Just like they did with Miller... number are leaked, but are they really? or is it just speculation?

In the end could he sign at less, great, but up until then fans are reacting and almost alienating him, if he doesn't play up to the perceived level of a $12M player... I am concerned that Petey himself says sod this, and ask his agent to engineer a move to somewhere with less exposure...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

This is the second time that number has been "leaked" though. First time was a few months back. It certainly seems odd that Petey would refuse that amount but at some point where there's enough smoke there's fire. Probably something to keep an eye on if it comes up again in the future.

More concerning to me though is if Petey truly hasn't given his agent the go-ahead to restart negotiations. I understand that he might want to focus on his play, but that's why he has an agent. The agent negotiates so that he doesn't have to and can focus on just playing.

It is very possible that Pettersson doesn't like playing in the spotlight and would prefer to go to a smaller market team or to a city with other major sports teams that take some of the attention away. He's clearly never loved the media in Vancouver going back to his death stares as a rookie. But of course maybe he re-signs in a month and all this speculation is moot.

Cheers,

Again, Peteys camp asked for negotiations to be postponed until the end of the season. That could mean anything or nothing... 

In this market we tend to react to the slighted talk of smoke... I don't think it is healthy for the relationship between Petey and the fans, although in the end its his play that dictates, how the relationship is... 

Sedins were almost hounded out because they weren't worth chopped liver, until they took off... Petey is still, despite it feels a lot longer, only 25 years old...  He is just about to enter his prime. I will feel bad about saying he has reached his limit before he has even entered his prime... Players go up and down... its just how it is... 

What is his worth, I have no idea, but I'm sure a man with the experience of JR by his side have a far better knowledge of, what Petey is worth or if he wants to stay at all.... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Their source is likely Halford and Brough this am, second hour, you can listen to the podcast. They said, their source was Dhaliwal.

Sure sounds like there's something floating around in the sports media toilet bowl.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It comes down to contract amount and asset management.  The sour feelings are fro  passionate fans that know he could never live up to a 12 mill plus co tract and the resulting pressure and ruthless fan base would be a gong show.  I don't blame the guy but if he walks for nothing....man oh man vs the haul we could get that would turn our team around.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Or maybe Ricky is concerned the Canucks will shut him out? Halford and Brough said in the second hour, Dhaliwal said it was offered. So someone is lying and I don't take Halford and brough to make it up. Sounds to me like Ricky is worried that management will be upset with him and he's walking it back.

Maybe? thing we don't know, and until we know for sure, I think we ought to be careful with throwing under the bus for being greedy, or assume he is.

• ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Agreed on the first bit, but....it all comes down to who we get back / who the trading partner is

Clearly, we need a team who "needs to add to start winning", because they will be the teams that have alot of good young pieces

We will need a potential 1c back, someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be as such or at worst a legit 2c...

The only teams I can think of that meet most of that criteria are Anaheim or Columbus. Columbus doesn't have that 1c (they aren't giving us Fantilli) talent in their prospect pool but need to start winning. Anaheim is sick of losing and has some 1/2c talent

I don't think we pry Leo Carlson, the Ducks would try to push Zegras to us (No thanks, can't play D), but...

Maybe

Mason Mctavish

1st rounder

and another pick?

We get a solid 1/2c with size and a temper

a high first rounder that could end up being celebrini

and a 2nd or 3rd.

My guess is the first rounder would be a challenge this year so maybe we take 2025 or Noah Warren (Big young RD) and this years second.

The thing about trading Pettersson is the Canucks have limited power regarding who Pettersson is traded to. Yes, he's a pending RFA, but if he isn't willing to sign somewhere that likely kills any potential deal immediately. 

Why would Pettersson sign with rebuilding franchises in Anaheim and Columbus? Why would he opt to go to a franchise that isn't competitive when he can simply stay in Vancouver and get a huge financial bag? We know he wants to win, but more than likely he wants to win while being paid handsomely. 

Any Pettersson trade would almost certainly be a sign and trade deal, therefore negotiating with franchises he's not interested in signing with is a non-starter. 

12 million is absolute max for this guy. Great player and respect what he does and deserves to get paid but he also isn't a top 5 player in the league. Too inconsistent.  The highest paid players in the league bring it 99 percent of the time. Not at the level of McDavid Matthew's or Mackinnon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

It comes down to contract amount and asset management.  The sour feelings are fro  passionate fans that know he could never live up to a 12 mill plus co tract and the resulting pressure and ruthless fan base would be a gong show.  I don't blame the guy but if he walks for nothing....man oh man vs the haul we could get that would turn our team around.

He would definitely live up to a 12 million contract...

Basically EP wasn’t going to sign with the Canucks in the summer because he wanted to (assuming) play for a winning team (ie. make into the playoffs).  NO ONE could have predicted the run Canucks have been on and be 1st in the NHL.  Plus EP said he’d wait until the offseason.  

So the real test is when the season is over and we will see what EP ultimately wants.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He would definitely live up to a 12 million contract...

Pettersson shouldn't get over 10M, in fact he should take a pay cut and play for 7Mx8 

:hurhur:

• Haha 1
  • MillerTime 1