[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

While the money is relevant I am more concerned about his play...we were all waiting for his young adult body to fill out so he could play heavier....unless I am being impatient, based on his play he does not seem to heading in that direction like a Sundin type player...something is missing from his game even given his talent level....and worse he is being a distraction to his team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Lol what is the world coming to that fans are prioritizing Joshua and Bleuger over a top 10 scoring player in the league...

The Petey slander around here is our of this world hahaha

I know "top 10" sounds nice but Pettersson is actually not in the top 10 in pts per game.

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

New Jersey laughs and hangs up the phone.....

More like EP and Demko, Jack Hughes, and that's with a trade and sign.  

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Provost said:

In this scenario, did the Jersey GM have a stroke or something and accidentally ok’ed this?

Jack Hughes is a kid and already as good as Petterson.  He is also on a team friendly contract for his entire prime.

Why would you want Petterson at $12 million (IF you can Re-sign him) when you can have Jack Hughes club controlled for 7 years at $8 million?

Which begs the question, what makes Pettersson worth $4 million more per year? Nothing that I can see. 

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Which begs the question, what makes Pettersson worth $4 million more per year? Nothing that I can see. 

To be fair, NJ could sign him for 700k less and EP would take home about the same .. so 11.3.   And sign one more year which might mean something for them.   But more like find the worst albotross on their team, include that, and add Demko plus Podz, Joshua etc so they could maybe make a go of it.    It's not going to happen.  Delusional stuff.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Jack Highes signed his deal 2021 coming off and ELC not the same situation, context matters.

2 hours ago, testycal said:

While the money is relevant I am more concerned about his play...we were all waiting for his young adult body to fill out so he could play heavier....unless I am being impatient, based on his play he does not seem to heading in that direction like a Sundin type player...something is missing from his game even given his talent level....and worse he is being a distraction to his team.

Why is he a distraction to the team?

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact an incompetent GM put the team in a cap bind and couldn’t sign him to a max term contract like that while he was under club control.

They we’re willing to sign longer deals according to their agent, it might have just cost us a million more per guy at the time to buy the UFA years.

Those bridge deals for Petterson and Hughes will hurt the team for the entire winning window we may have.  The terms walked the guys to having complete leverage.  Petterson could simply take an arb award and walk to free agency.  Hughes will still be in his prime and a UFA when his deal is up, he will be able to get a max term extension for mega dollars that will likely become an anchor by the end.

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think this may be a telecasting rumor method. LOL

Earlier I proposed Petey, D Petey, Lekkermaki for the Hughes brothers and felt if anything Canucks add. This proposal shows stupidity. Jack has slightly higher value than Petey as they are similar in offensive talent, Petey is better defensively but Jack is on an amazing contract. So probably Petey and a 3rd is closer to value for Jack. That leaves Juulsen for Luke????? HAHAHAH 

I also proposed what I felt was a more realistic Petey for Power and Benson. Benson could play wing in the top 6 replacing Petey's wing spot. Lindholm resigned with the cap savings, and Power sliding into the top 4 D. 

Lineup in a couple years when the youngsters are ready.

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Benson Lindholm Lekkermaki

Joshua Bluegar Garland

Pod Suter Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Power Willander

D Petey Soucy

EP is fantastic.....but not 150% of the JT contract or Hughes contract.  He can single handedly win games but he can also single-handedly kill the future of this franchise with a crippling contract.  No thanks.  People will say that the cap is going up but what they're ignoring is that EP's salary will set the benchmark for all other contracts on the team.....Quinn, Lindholm......Demko.  It just doesn't work.  The 2010 team was amazing because they had the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Luongo all on team-friendly contracts (at least $ / yr).  

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

EP is fantastic.....but not 150% of the JT contract or Hughes contract.  He can single handedly win games but he can also single-handedly kill the future of this franchise with a crippling contract.  No thanks.  People will say that the cap is going up but what they're ignoring is that EP's salary will set the benchmark for all other contracts on the team.....Quinn, Lindholm......Demko.  It just doesn't work.  The 2010 team was amazing because they had the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Luongo all on team-friendly contracts (at least $ / yr).  

Actually, the Hellebuyck contract will set the benchmark for Demko.  And the Dahlin contract will set the benchmark for Hughes.  And the PLD/Horvat contracts will set the benchmark for Lindholm.  Unless you are suggesting that the Canucks have some type of a "Miller" cap where nobody can get paid more than Miller.  

Miller signed his deal at the time he did.  He could have gotten more but he chose to sign at $8 million.  Whether Petey is worth $4 million more than Miller is irrelevant.  Petey will sign his next contract at market value.  Nylander signed at $11.5 million.  That is Petey's benchmark contract, not Miller...

Also, the only reason Luongo's contract was "team friendly" was because they made it a 12 year deal in order to lower the cap hit.  That's not allowed any longer.  As for the Sedins, they did not have their career years until after they signed their contracts.  They never hit 100 points until age 29.  Petey is already a 100 point player from age 24...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

42 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

People just need to look at the Leafs cap situation the last 3 years to understand what cap inflexibility looks like. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, what do you think of McDavid then? 
The Wild made 4 5v5 goals while McDavid was taken away 5v5.

Strange huh… It seems you and others put a blind side to the fact that Petey get a lot more coverage as the Canucks danger no. 1 while Miller still goes under the radar.

Put two guys on Miller all the time and he can’t do squat either.

• Wiener 1