[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The fans will turn on Hughes in 3 years just like they have turned on Petey. Remember, both players held out of training camp at the same time for new contracts and were in Michigan watching NCAA games while the rest of the team was training for the new season. And both players have the same agent too. 

Yup, I'm waiting for it. Dahlin won't set anything in regards to Hughes, Hughes has another three cap increases to drive up his price as well.

You're right, both players sat out. Neither took a discount either, if anything Pettersson took a little less to drive his term down and set himself up later.

Both players likely get paid full value.

But yeah, a lot of the folks fussing about not wanting to pay Pettersson probably won't want to pay Hughes 12-13M+ either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, I'm waiting for it. Dahlin won't set anything in regards to Hughes, Hughes has another three cap increases to drive up his price as well.

You're right, both players sat out. Neither took a discount either, if anything Pettersson took a little less to drive his term down and set himself up later.

But yeah, a lot of the folks fussing about not wanting to pay Pettersson probably won't want to pay Hughes 12-13M+ either.

Hughes is our franchise player. He deserves franchise player money. Petey does not IMO. And petey is one of my favourite players, but at this point he is far from the face of this franchise, that belongs to Quinn

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Ohhh I strongly disagree there.  Hughes drives the play and is noticeable every single game.  He's a franchise defenceman that we have never had...ever.  we've had lots of high scoring wingers/centers...everyone I talk to has no issues signing Hughes for what ever that young man wants.  He's also captain material.  I would aks you this...if paying petey means losing Hughes do you do it.  Who would you rather have if you had to lose one.  I don't think it's even remotely close. Hughes gets a majority.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The fans will turn on Hughes in 3 years just like they have turned on Petey. Remember, both players held out of training camp at the same time for new contracts and were in Michigan watching NCAA games while the rest of the team was training for the new season. And both players have the same agent too. 

I don’t know if it is really turning on them.  If they don’t want to extend with the team, the team needs to look after its own interests and move on from them getting assets if they can.

My loyalty as a fan is to the team, not to an individual player or management person.  If they don’t want to show they want to be a Canuck, then they can go pound sand and I will cheer for the guy who puts on the uniform in their place.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

NJ might have something to say about that. Something like "pound sand and never call us again" 

Right.. think about that. Jersey says no to petey over jack Hughes....lol so why would we pay elias 4 million more a year for an inferior player.  If he's not inferior why does jersey say no?  I get the value deal but if petey was so godlike why does jersey hang up?

Petey has to realize he has become a major distraction to the team at this point, in what should be a celebratory regular season. 
If he truly cared about the team and winning, he’d at least do some kind of deal now, whether it’s one or eight years or somewhere in between, and let the Canucks management plan based on the rest of the team and the cap. He's being bloody selfish at this point, and it's not a good look. It’s similar to his last contract negotiations where he missed training camp and came in rusty as hell, needing 15-20 games to get his own game close to where it needed to be. Selfish. Put the team and winning first.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t know if it is really turning on them.  If they don’t want to extend with the team, the team needs to look after its own interests and move on from them getting assets if they can.

My loyalty as a fan is to the team, not to an individual player or management person.  If they don’t want to show they want to be a Canuck, then they can go pound sand and I will cheer for the guy who puts on the uniform in their place.

Somehow i think JR let bird out.Message to Pette indirectly.Or sign or we have customers.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

At today's cap, I'd be paying Hughes 12M before Pettersson 10 times out of 10. That's not a knock on Petey, but his play doesn't justify Mackinnon money. Mackinnon, Matthews, McDavid excel in all types of games. They are always dangerous, always driving play, always creating. Petey doesn't do that when the games get physical and tighter.

Panarin makes 11.6M, Matthew Tkachuk makes 11.25M - So I put Petey somewhere in there.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ronning4center said:

Right.. think about that. Jersey says no to petey over jack Hughes....lol so why would we pay elias 4 million more a year for an inferior player.  If he's not inferior why does jersey say no?  I get the value deal but if petey was so godlike why does jersey hang up?

Where did you see me say hes godlike?  The bottom line for NJ is Hughes is younger, signed long term to one of the best value deals in the league, abd orifices at a similar clip to EP40.  Plus they have Luke there as well. Why would they consider moving him for the older player who doesn't have a contract beyond this season and could force his way to UFA status in a year if he chooses to?  

There's no reason for them to do it and a multitude of reasons to not do it.  

Jersey took a chance and locked in Jack before he was worth what he was asking for.  Vancouver went the bridge route and now they're going to have to pay a lot more to lock him up. 

What the eff was EF talking about during the broadcast today regarding teams asking mgmt if EP is available...who would possibly think that EP is available during the season given the Canucks position in the standings?

Fans and Van media just need to stop talking about this issue. The contract will be dealt with in the summer one way or another...cup is the focus this year! Let's go boys!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

What the eff was EF talking about during the broadcast today regarding teams asking mgmt if EP is available...who would possibly think that EP is available during the season given the Canucks position in the standings?

Fans and Van media just need to stop talking about this issue. The contract will be dealt with in the summer one way or another...cup is the focus this year! Let's go boys!

He said the contract situation has teams enquiring about EP40 but they're being told the Canucks are still trying to sign him.   Like it or not this is news and people will keep talking about it until a deal is done. Especially after Tkachuk forced his way out if Calgary in a similar situation 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Miller is our best forward hands-down now, he carried this team against Boston when all hope looked lost. That's what you get for 12-13M. Petey was invisible, lost the puck a bunch of times, barely did anything. He's our 2nd line center, has been for a while and probably will be for another year or so. How can he justify making 4-5M more than Miller then?

The same goes for Lindholm - he's a checking defensive center who's scoring at what, a 50-60 point pace? How can he justify making 8M which is Miller money who's essentially a monster two-way 100pt top line (on a top team) center? I know JT took quite a discount and we signed him before he popped off, but look around the league, at their roles and points. Lindholm is playing like a 2.5C. Petey a 2C. Miller a 1C. People saying that Petey and Lindholm want a combined 20M is why Toronto is so top-loaded and will never do well. If these guys want that sort of money, trade them or let them walk and we focus on other guys.

I wouldn't give Petey any more than 11M at this rate. Sure, let's wait for the end of the season and playoffs to really decide. If he hits 100pts and scores at a PPG in the playoffs, pay the man 12M. If he ends up at 90pts and like 0.5PPG in the playoffs, he doesn't deserve much more than 10.5M.

As for Lindholm, I'd offer him 6M. Some dumb team will pay him 7-8M and let them go for him, he must be the most over-rated player I've heard of in a while. Everyone's still living in delusion from his single 40G season with Gaudreau but he's nowhere near that impactful nowadays and hasn't been for a while. Right now he looks like Manny Malhotra out there. You want at least 70-80pts from an 8M player.

Big decisions for PA this post-season, especially because we know JT isn't going to play like this forever and it honestly might be his last or second last solid >PPG year, but we can't be throwing our money and cap away if it's not justified.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The noise will go away if he starts to produce and look like the two way threat we are accustomed to seeing from him.

Forget about the contract stuff, I just want Petey to start playing how he usually does, a constant two way threat. He is having moments, but we need him to be more consistent and start forcing his will on games. 

We just need him to get going.

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

He said the contract situation has teams enquiring about EP40 but they're being told the Canucks are still trying to sign him.   Like it or not this is news and people will keep talking about it until a deal is done. Especially after Tkachuk forced his way out if Calgary in a similar situation 

I get what he actually said, I call bull. He is just stirring the pot, doing the bidding of other teams' GMs.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Not news. Nothing to report.

People continue to choose to not listen to how this process will go down as per the player making it crystal clear negotiations will take place after the season.

Its just too difficult a fact for so many people EF included to simply accept, respect and move on.

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Friedman doing his stir the pot thingy. Dhaliwal does it too, he dined out on Boeser rumours for 3 years.

11 hours ago, Maddogy said:

When is Pettersson going to put this team on his back the way JT Miller does?

This is the crux of the debate about him imo. I’m certainly hard on him because I hold him to a higher standard. Yes he’s a “200 foot player” but it’s beyond frustrating to watch his play closely and see how how often he’s outworked for a puck, loses his balance…etc.

JT and Huggy put on a master class last night and it just makes me realize I can’t remember many (if any) games at all where Petey stood out in the same way. I’m not talking his point totals but that’s the frustration. Too often I don’t notice him in games at all where he’ll still have 2 or 3 points at the end of the night. 

Can he become that player to carry a team or will a team to win? Maybe. I hope so. But I’m not comfortable paying him the money and term being speculated for that maybe. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

This is the crux of the debate about him imo. I’m certainly hard on him because I hold him to a higher standard. Yes he’s a “200 foot player” but it’s beyond frustrating to watch his play closely and see how how often he’s outworked for a puck, loses his balance…etc.

JT and Huggy put on a master class last night and it just makes me realize I can’t remember many (if any) games at all where Petey stood out in the same way. I’m not talking his point totals but that’s the frustration. Too often I don’t notice him in games at all where he’ll still have 2 or 3 points at the end of the night. 

Can he become that player to carry a team or will a team to win? Maybe. I hope so. But I’m not comfortable paying him the money and term being speculated for that maybe. 

I feel like he was that player 3+ years ago but hasn't been since, or at least often enough.  It isn't "his" team any longer and there's something off about him attitude-wise.