[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

13 hours ago, Slegr said:

Petey has to realize he has become a major distraction to the team at this point, in what should be a celebratory regular season. 
If he truly cared about the team and winning, he’d at least do some kind of deal now, whether it’s one or eight years or somewhere in between, and let the Canucks management plan based on the rest of the team and the cap. He's being bloody selfish at this point, and it's not a good look. It’s similar to his last contract negotiations where he missed training camp and came in rusty as hell, needing 15-20 games to get his own game close to where it needed to be. Selfish. Put the team and winning first.

He can sign his contract whenever he wants, I think its crazy to sit here and blame the guy for waiting till the end of the season. He's gonna get paid and it's going to add a lot of pressure at a time when the team is rolling, it makes complete sense for Petey to wait it out.

12 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Where did you see me say hes godlike?  The bottom line for NJ is Hughes is younger, signed long term to one of the best value deals in the league, abd orifices at a similar clip to EP40.  Plus they have Luke there as well. Why would they consider moving him for the older player who doesn't have a contract beyond this season and could force his way to UFA status in a year if he chooses to?  

There's no reason for them to do it and a multitude of reasons to not do it.  

Jersey took a chance and locked in Jack before he was worth what he was asking for.  Vancouver went the bridge route and now they're going to have to pay a lot more to lock him up. 

You say old like he's 34.  Petey is 25 and in his prime.  Also f we pay him over 12 that's mcjesus money....Jesus...godlike..

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

At today's cap, I'd be paying Hughes 12M before Pettersson 10 times out of 10. That's not a knock on Petey, but his play doesn't justify Mackinnon money. Mackinnon, Matthews, McDavid excel in all types of games. They are always dangerous, always driving play, always creating. Petey doesn't do that when the games get physical and tighter.

Panarin makes 11.6M, Matthew Tkachuk makes 11.25M - So I put Petey somewhere in there.

Tkachuk can fight and score and panarin can score 50.  I would take either of them over petey.  Tkachuk for damn sure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

You say old like he's 34.  Petey is 25 and in his prime.  Also f we pay him over 12 that's mcjesus money....Jesus...godlike..

I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing here.  I commented Hughes age and contract status make him far more valuable to NJ than what Pettersson would be.  Pettersson took a bridge contract and now he's going to get PAID. It doesn't mean he's a substantially better player that Hughes (although you can certainly argue he is better).  It means NJ gambled on  Hughes's contract and it paid off.  Vancouver went for the bridge an now they have to pay the piper 

11 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

What the eff was EF talking about during the broadcast today regarding teams asking mgmt if EP is available...who would possibly think that EP is available during the season given the Canucks position in the standings?

Fans and Van media just need to stop talking about this issue. The contract will be dealt with in the summer one way or another...cup is the focus this year! Let's go boys!

I found that strange too.  Elliot is legit though.  Maybe Rutherford and alvin know something we don't. Maybe peteys agent is putting g out feelers.   Guy hasn't signed and he has a blank cheque.  I'm trying to remember ever seeing this in my 35 years of hockey watching.  Every hold out has been for a certain dollar value.  EP is flat out saying no.  We might need to consider everything.

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing here.  I commented Hughes age and contract status make him far more valuable to NJ than what Pettersson would be.  Pettersson took a bridge contract and now he's going to get PAID. It doesn't mean he's a substantially better player that Hughes (although you can certainly argue he is better).  It means NJ gambled on  Hughes's contract and it paid off.  Vancouver went for the bridge an now they have to pay the piper 

Not arguing as much as poking holes in your semantics. Age is irrelevant and if money is the reason you choose a so called inferior player that sort of says Hughes is the better player.  My whole point is as much as I love EP I'm not willing to make him the top 3 highest paid players in the league or handicap my team for a player that I think is complimentary.

Whether we like it or not. (And I don't) But Toronto has screwed us by giving Nylander $11.5. He and Petey have similar production right now, and Petey has gotten to the 100 point mark already. EP40 is over a point a game pace for his career. I can't see Petey taking less than $11.5 Million. And he's a better player overall than Nylander.

Unless Petey is of the mindset if he leaves a little on the table, that's a better chance to keep winning I'd consider it lucky if he got him at $11 Million.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Not arguing as much as poking holes in your semantics. Age is irrelevant and if money is the reason you choose a so called inferior player that sort of says Hughes is the better player.  My whole point is as much as I love EP I'm not willing to make him the top 3 highest paid players in the league or handicap my team for a player that I think is complimentary.

When the production is very similar then age and contract status are very pertinent.  Hughes is definitely more valuable.  Better or worse is debatable.  I feel like we're arguing on the same side of the argument. Except I accept that Pettersson is going to be paid significantly more than Hughes. Either by Vancouver or someone else. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Tkachuk can fight and score and panarin can score 50.  I would take either of them over petey.  Tkachuk for damn sure.

Panarin has never sniffed 50 goals, his career high is 32. I'd take Petey over Panarin just because of age, but other than age they are similar players.

Tkachuk I take over Petey because of the intangibles but with that said, Petey gets more points so they are probably around the same value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I found that strange too.  Elliot is legit though.  Maybe Rutherford and alvin know something we don't. Maybe peteys agent is putting g out feelers. 

That would be very poor form.  Any team talking to an agent about a signed player on another team

would be heavily fined.  No way that is happening.

Guy hasn't signed and he has a blank cheque. 

What does a blank cheque mean?  EP can fill in whatever $ he wants?  I highly doubt it.

I'm trying to remember ever seeing this in my 35 years of hockey watching.  Every hold out has been for a certain dollar value.  EP is flat out saying no.  We might need to consider everything.

It's early days for contract negotiations.  This will be the largest signing the team has ever

dealt with.  It will take some time to work out the $ and term that is fair for both sides.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing to consider everything.  It's not like Petey becomes

a UFA at the end of the season.  Gotta be patient and have some faith in the Canuck

management.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be very poor form.  Any team talking to an agent about a signed player on another team

would be heavily fined.  No way that is happening.

If they were talking, it would not be about E.P.

It would be about an up coming European  restricted free agent that is a client of that agency.

"A player like....' ; 'a guy that can play wing and center' and a bunch of hints/descriptors but no names.

no names would be used, but all sides would know who is being talked about.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Whether we like it or not. (And I don't) But Toronto has screwed us by giving Nylander $11.5. He and Petey have similar production right now, and Petey has gotten to the 100 point mark already. EP40 is over a point a game pace for his career. I can't see Petey taking less than $11.5 Million. And he's a better player overall than Nylander.

Unless Petey is of the mindset if he leaves a little on the table, that's a better chance to keep winning I'd consider it lucky if he got him at $11 Million.

I don't buy this. For one, Nylander is on his way to a 40G, 100pt season himself. Secondly, 1 signing does not make the market. They will take a larger sample size. I'd be using Panarin, Tkachuk, Marner, Nylander, Barkov, Rantanen (pro rated % of cap) etc. These are all premier forwards and comparables for Pettersson imo. They all range form 10-11.5M cap hits. There is no way Petey can justify asking for 12M, and if he does then we ship him out. He has always voiced his desire to be 'on a winner', well here we are. He is no Mackinnon, Matthews, McDavid. Those are the forwards that can justify 12+ imo. I like Pettersson and want him to remain part of this team. But we can't afford to over pay him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big decisions for PA this post-season, especially because we know JT isn't going to play like this forever and it honestly might be his last or second last solid >PPG year, but we can't be throwing our money and cap away if it's not justified.

If Petey and Lindholm appear as though they won't be worth huge new contracts,trade em. Target players through trade or use the money we would have given those two for players suited to play with Miller. Hopefully these new players would take some of the pressure of Miller helping him to produce at the highest rate possible. I'm sure our management team would make the best choice,they have done great so far.

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Basically how to say something, without saying something. (Elliotte running for public office?)

The team wants to try and sign him. Duh.

Maybe, but like him or not he does hear things and if teams are hearing that they're not even interested in listening on him than it's worth sharing

21 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

When the production is very similar then age and contract status are very pertinent.  Hughes is definitely more valuable.  Better or worse is debatable.  I feel like we're arguing on the same side of the argument. Except I accept that Pettersson is going to be paid significantly more than Hughes. Either by Vancouver or someone else. 

There's a solid chance Hughes actually ends up making more than Pettersson by the time his deal is up for renewal

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

You would take 32 year old Panarin over 25 year old Petey?

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't buy this. For one, Nylander is on his way to a 40G, 100pt season himself. Secondly, 1 signing does not make the market. They will take a larger sample size. I'd be using Panarin, Tkachuk, Marner, Nylander, Barkov, Rantanen (pro rated % of cap) etc. These are all premier forwards and comparables for Pettersson imo. They all range form 10-11.5M cap hits. There is no way Petey can justify asking for 12M, and if he does then we ship him out. He has always voiced his desire to be 'on a winner', well here we are. He is no Mackinnon, Matthews, McDavid. Those are the forwards that can justify 12+ imo. I like Pettersson and want him to remain part of this team. But we can't afford to over pay him.

Isn't Nylander the most recent signing? Can you use 1-2 years previous contracts to gauge the current pay? I'd love to see Petey at $10 Million. But I just don't think it's happening. 

Miller is fantastic at $8 million, but he's older. You can use those other examples all you want, that's why it's a negotiation. But if it's for a low cap hit, the term won't be long. And pretty sure Petey then is going bye bye once he's UFA.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's a solid chance Hughes actually ends up making more than Pettersson by the time his deal is up for renewal

At least unlike Toronto and Edmonton, we are putting money into solid defencemen. 😉

• Cheers 1

I may have had some controversial takes on over paying EP but it does look like this thread is sorely divided.  I ask honestly.  Is petey worth 12 plus and is his character such that he can lead a team and handle the pressure of vancouver.  Talent aside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't Nylander the most recent signing? Can you use 1-2 years previous contracts to gauge the current pay? I'd love to see Petey at $10 Million. But I just don't think it's happening. 

Miller is fantastic at $8 million, but he's older. You can use those other examples all you want, that's why it's a negotiation. But if it's for a low cap hit, the term won't be long. And pretty sure Petey then is going bye bye once he's UFA.

The cap has only raised 2 million in the last 5 years so even if you take a percentage of total cap they are all comparable. Out of those that I listed Panarin is probably the least comparable because he was signed as a UFA.