[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Panarin signed his deal almost 5 years ago.  The market has changed since then.  Also, he signed his deal in the summer of 2019.  He finished 3rd in Hart trophy voting in 2020.  You probably should have looked that up before your claim that Panarin was a Hart finalist so he deserved that contract.  Kucherov was the one who actually won the Hart trophy in 2019 and then also signed in the summer of 2019 for only $9.5 million.  So why did Kucherov only get $9.5 million when he won the Hart trophy and Panarin got $11.6 million in the exact same summer and he didn't even receive one single vote?  Can you explain that?

At the time Panarin signed his $11.6 million contract he was coming off an 87 point season from 79 games.  Nowhere near a 100 point pace as you claim.  Those numbers and his Hart trophy finalist came AFTER he signed his contract.

Petey will be a two time 100+ point player BEFORE he signs his new contract, well above any numbers Panarin put up before he signed his current contract in the summer of 2019.  Panarin was overpaid back then.  Maybe Petey will be overpaid now.  We will see...

I have bad feel this is not about money.Something is out there totally wrong.I cant put my finger on it.But i know every player who bargain like this never resins with his team.Pettersson taking some unpopular decision here.Or it is his Agent

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Trades happen when they make sense for both teams.  I outlined why a rebuilding team most likely wouldn't trade a 1st OA pick for a 26 year old player who likely wouldn't sign with them and wouldn't fir thuer timeline even if he was willing. Saying it's that teamsvotoblem doesn't negate all those things. Pettersson is a fantastic player but that doesn't mean he's a fit for a rebuilding team. If you were Chicago would you rather have Bedand and Celibrini on EL contracts while they continue yo rebuild plus a minimum of 7 years of team control, Or 1 year of Bedard playing with Petterson testing up a minimum of $8.2m cap space abd then walking off into rhe sunset for free after 1 season? I take the Celebrini/Bedard duo over the slight chance that they can re-sign Petterson.  Even if tge manage to resign him he'll be wasted on a team that won't be relevant for several more seasons as they continue to rebuild

That's right he won't as he wants to win NOW.

There are at least three teams that could afford to trade for him and give a younger player,D man,prospect and 1st.

Those are teams EP would be traded to and he would sign with or like I said many times a sign and trade.

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no team is going to gamble their future away unless they have confirmation EP will sign with them.. if PA makes a similar trade for a EP type player and he walks after 1 year because there was no confirmation he ever sign with the team? you guys 100% run the guy out of town and trash him on every single social media platform u can get ur hands on

That's it if we did trade for one he wouldn't sign, TDL you will get the same back so what's the problem????

I just think he asks for more then 12mill he ain't worth it you trade him.

If any GM thinks they can sign him they will trade for him and most likely they would do a sign and trade.

But if he doesn't he can still be traded and will.The return will be the same and why wouldn't it be. That's a chance some GM's will take if they think it will get them a cup.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Correct. The team landing the best player almost always wins the deal in the short term. 

Which is why I suggest if we can somehow snag the number 1 pick to draft Macklin ++, I think most would be satisfied. I know I would be for sure.

Draft day deal

Petey 
Mikhayev

2025 first 

Anaheim FOR 

Mctavish

their first this year 

Noah Warren 

at some point Anaheim needs to start winning and stop collecting high picks 

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's it if we did trade for one he wouldn't sign, TDL you will get the same back so what's the problem????

I just think he asks for more then 12mill he ain't worth it you trade him.

If any GM thinks they can sign him they will trade for him and most likely they would do a sign and trade.

But if he doesn't he can still be traded and will.The return will be the same and why wouldn't it be. That's a chance some GM's will take if they think it will get them a cup.

lol so you trade for a player to help u for half a season if he wouldn't sign and then trade him away at the TDL? at which point he would be worth nothing more than a rental couple months from ufa and only teams with no prospect low 1st rounders are left to trade for him?

23 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

I have bad feel this is not about money.Something is out there totally wrong.I cant put my finger on it.But i know every player who bargain like this never resins with his team.Pettersson taking some unpopular decision here.Or it is his Agent

If he doesn't re-signs then PA can trade him for a big deal in the summer.  Guys like EP almost never become available via trade.  Eichel is an exception due to mismanagement by Sabres to piss him off.  Vegas lucked out and got him.  

Again, not sure why we care about this.  It's a business. They will try to get maximum value, players, agents, and teams.  Bo got what he wanted, Nux did too, and it's good for all parties.  

• Like 1
  • Wiener 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If he doesn't re-signs then PA can trade him for a big deal in the summer.  Guys like EP almost never become available via trade.  Eichel is an exception due to mismanagement by Sabres to piss him off.  Vegas lucked out and got him.  

Again, not sure why we care about this.  It's a business. They will try to get maximum value, players, agents, and teams.  Bo got what he wanted, Nux did too, and it's good for all parties.  

Pretty much. It sucks when good players leave your team, but it's also an opportunity for renewal. Almost no one is upset over the Bo trade outcome.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I am ok with what ever happens here.Have trust in our President and Gm.In my mind Canucks above everything.But it is sad none the less

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pretty much. It sucks when good players leave your team, but it's also an opportunity for renewal. Almost no one is upset over the Bo trade outcome.

Maybe because we see other teams get burned or still feel the effects of JB letting good players walk for nothing.   

But I really trust this management.  They know what they are doing. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

IF Pettersson doesn’t re-sign, I would try targeting CBJ.  

EP

for

Johnson + Jiricek + 1st 2025 (unprotected).  It won’t be 2024 as it’s most likely a top ten pick.

CBJ gets their #1 C.

VAN get promising young prospects to restock the cupboards.  Both Johnson and Jirek would probably benefit from Tocchet structured play.

50 minutes ago, BPA said:

IF Pettersson doesn’t re-sign, I would try targeting CBJ.  

EP

for

Johnson + Jiricek + 1st 2025 (unprotected).  It won’t be 2024 as it’s most likely a top ten pick.

CBJ gets their #1 C.

VAN get promising young prospects to restock the cupboards.  Both Johnson and Jirek would probably benefit from Tocchet structured play.

If Pettersson isn't signing with the team in first place what makes you think he would sign with a team in the bottom 4?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

If Pettersson isn't signing with the team in first place what makes you think he would sign with a team in the bottom 4?

Maybe CBJ offers him $13-14M.  Something that maybe VAN won’t offer.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Miller or Hughes???

To me they are both ahead of EP.

Agreed 

TJ and Hughes are our best 

Petey only shows up against the weaker teams and the less physical teams it seems… and disappears for stretches… maybe he battles with depression? Who knows…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Like 2

I have a feeling they are gonna trade him… I don’t know why but I just have this feeling - probably it’s his compete level against tougher teams and his inconsistency - how he disappears… I dunno… for some reason I’m thinking they want a tougher JT type instead of Petey… he Just seems indifferent and disconnected and disinterested…

Petey needs more size and bite… he’s always falling… I don’t think he fits Tocchets style of hockey… 

Not that i want this -

He’s so skilled - but he’s just not tough… if he would compete like JT he would be killer… and take over games..

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is what I have been saying for awhile now, if we are building  a TEAM, Miller is #1C and Lindholm is #2 C according to their play. Petey has a hard time even playing Center on a full time basis and he hasnt been able to gel with anyone lately. I thought Lindholm would help but nothing has come of it yet.

If we are looking at a #2 C, I would choose Lindholm over Petey, as he seems to do better with the tighter checking. I totally agree though, he is over rated and he would have to come in at a reasonable salary or we move on from him too. We need to stay far away from the Toronto Model of building a Contender at all costs.

There is always that option of just playing him as a winger but boy...12-13M for a 2nd line winger is a bit silly. That being said he's still very young and could easily end up being a consistent 100+ point player and we might just be seeing him at his worst right now, but surely we shouldn't have to pay for that now then.

A cheaper bridge deal should really be considered by both parties. 10-11M x 2-3 years. Get him into his prime, let him earn a big 13M contract. We can't throw that sort of money around now.

Another key piece which makes things interesting is Boeser - he's still relatively young, is now suddenly on a great contract and scoring big time for us on the wing. With Miller, Boeser and Lindholm we have a decent crew of top-6 forwards so can afford to lose a star. I would say that they're obviously all a bit older than Petey, but if we get a solid top-6 forward and top-4 defenceman out of Petey it does make our team a lot more balanced.

I've said there's a deal with Boston to be had there because they lack a true 1C but imagine some other Eastern teams (these are all probably under-payments too):

TO DET: Pettersson

TO VAN: Compher + Wallman + prospect (Wallinder any chance?) + 1st

Cap-wise it's even so we have enough money to keep all our UFAs easily and go out and get another depth guy (Tanev?)

Philly's another interesting team who could use a star center.

TO PHI: Pettersson

TO VAN: Konecny + Sean Walker + 1st

Or a real jokey one for a desperate team who are heading nowhere fast is NYI

TO NYI: Pettersson + Myers

TO VAN: Barzal + Mayfield

For the record I wouldn't want to trade Petey, and all these deals above are probably undervaluing him by a 1st or so, but it really could balance our team out. Problem is, it'll make us older for sure and in much more of a win-now mode.

14 hours ago, Joe King said:

If Petey and Lindholm appear as though they won't be worth huge new contracts,trade em. Target players through trade or use the money we would have given those two for players suited to play with Miller. Hopefully these new players would take some of the pressure of Miller helping him to produce at the highest rate possible. I'm sure our management team would make the best choice,they have done great so far.

Yeah I trust management are wise with their cap and won't make stupid moves that turn us into a top-heavy Leafs team. There's guys like Reinhart and Roslovic out there in free agency and loads of centers in between we could offer money to. 

Based on the play so far this season, IMO Petey is worth no more than 11.5M and Lindholm honestly no more than 6M. There's lots of season left for them to score/impress everyone but so far we would look stupid offering either more. I know there was that 12M deal on the table at the start of the year for Petey but if he's asking for 13M based on his current play...not sure about that. He's arguably our 4th best player this year (Hughes, Miller, Demko above him), can't be earning that much. Those 3 guys took team-friendly discounts and deals and were signed in their low-points, Petey can't just cash in for futures he hasn't quite proven yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Send him to hockey hell. 

The way he's stringing the Canucks along. I could see management sending him there. Look what happened to Johnny Hockey in Columbus. 

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I trust management are wise with their cap and won't make stupid moves that turn us into a top-heavy Leafs team. There's guys like Reinhart and Roslovic out there in free agency and loads of centers in between we could offer money to. 

Based on the play so far this season, IMO Petey is worth no more than 11.5M and Lindholm honestly no more than 6M. There's lots of season left for them to score/impress everyone but so far we would look stupid offering either more. I know there was that 12M deal on the table at the start of the year for Petey but if he's asking for 13M based on his current play...not sure about that. He's arguably our 4th best player this year (Hughes, Miller, Demko above him), can't be earning that much. Those 3 guys took team-friendly discounts and deals and were signed in their low-points, Petey can't just cash in for futures he hasn't quite proven yet.

I think Petey probably takes 11.5 or 11.75M over 4 years, and then sees where he's at, during that time. But he'll be a UFA by that point, so he could very well walk away from the team, pursuing both money and being on a contender at that time. Sucks to be talking about one of our best players possibly not wanting to be in blue and green. What would be his reason? The team is in first place. They're winning. Fuck, they're even a contender this season. Allvin and Rutherford have done everything they can to get Petey to sign on the dotted line, but the player himself doesn't seem to want to sign. Unless he's really serious about signing in the off-season. But it better happen, or else he just looks worse and worse for stringing the team along, causing distractions (to himself, and his teammates). 

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

But I can see Hughes and Demko getting major raises once their current contracts are up. Miller signed long term, this is his last deal to earn big bucks. He cashed in already. 

Petey could cash in, but even if he signs 8 years, that would bring him to 33 years old when that deal is over. He's still got one more deal left I say. Hughes is going to be making major money once his deal is up. 

Sad to say, but it's very likely that Petey and eventually Hughes may not be on the Canucks in a few years down the road. Why nobody wants to be a Canuck? 

Does it have to do with how Benning treated people when he was GM? Fuck that guy...

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Petey probably takes 11.5 or 11.75M over 4 years, and then sees where he's at, during that time. But he'll be a UFA by that point, so he could very well walk away from the team, pursuing both money and being on a contender at that time. Sucks to be talking about one of our best players possibly not wanting to be in blue and green. What would be his reason? The team is in first place. They're winning. Fuck, they're even a contender this season. Allvin and Rutherford have done everything they can to get Petey to sign on the dotted line, but the player himself doesn't seem to want to sign. Unless he's really serious about signing in the off-season. But it better happen, or else he just looks worse and worse for stringing the team along, causing distractions (to himself, and his teammates). 

I wouldn't take it personally, I think Petey just doesn't want the distraction and it makes sense to see the full value of the player, especially after the playoffs.

The Nylander deal and even Pastrnak's deals are quite interesting comparisons and around the 11M mark seems to suit Petey and fit quite well. More than that is MacKinnon/McDavid territory and there's no way Petey deserves 12+. 

He deserves 8 years x 11.5M. Takes him to 33, then of course he probably just gets some small contracts to finish his career. Sounds like the Canucks offered him 12M which he turned down in the hope that he'd blow up this season. To be fair, he started the year scoring at 2PPG so it looked like he could become the best center in the league but of course quickly came back down to Earth. I think if he has a good playoffs, 12M is certainly warranted but he can't possibly get any more. If he has a bad playoffs we've surely got to get him closer to 11M.

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Agreed 

TJ and Hughes are our best 

Petey only shows up against the weaker teams and the less physical teams it seems… and disappears for stretches… maybe he battles with depression? Who knows…

This has already been debunked so why are you still trying to push this unfounded agenda???

44 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't take it personally, I think Petey just doesn't want the distraction and it makes sense to see the full value of the player, especially after the playoffs.

The Nylander deal and even Pastrnak's deals are quite interesting comparisons and around the 11M mark seems to suit Petey and fit quite well. More than that is MacKinnon/McDavid territory and there's no way Petey deserves 12+. 

He deserves 8 years x 11.5M. Takes him to 33, then of course he probably just gets some small contracts to finish his career. Sounds like the Canucks offered him 12M which he turned down in the hope that he'd blow up this season. To be fair, he started the year scoring at 2PPG so it looked like he could become the best center in the league but of course quickly came back down to Earth. I think if he has a good playoffs, 12M is certainly warranted but he can't possibly get any more. If he has a bad playoffs we've surely got to get him closer to 11M.

IMG_7416.png