[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

50 minutes ago, Pears said:

IMG_7416.png

That's where the Big talk comes after the season.

To me 12 is to much so if he doesn't sign asap you trade him at the draft.

EP if he really wants to win should come back saying 11 mill a season to keep  money for others.

Find a team with a good young player, D man , good prospect and a first plus whatever else would work maybe another pick or prospect.

To me Carolina or the Panthers would be a great trade partner.

12M is 13.7% of the cap next year, McKinnon and Mcdavids contract are roughly 15% of the cap this year, matthews new contract is roughly 15% next year. I think 12M is fair for Petterson in comparison to those guys, he's a tier down so -1%-1.5% sounds about right, and as we are heading out of the flat cap era, that percentage will come down.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Petey for Brady 🫣

This^ I have been saying this for the last couple of weeks! EP looks disinterested and not engaged like he used to. If the rumors of him not signing a $12 million-dollar max deal, then he obviously has an issue that we haven't heard about. I might be in the minority here, but EP and his whole "I want to be on a winning team" schtick rubbed me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, but something bugs me about him. No doubt he is talented, but I've been an ardent fan since 1982, and it should be team before self, and I don't get that from him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ohthehumanity said:

This^ I have been saying this for the last couple of weeks! EP looks disinterested and not engaged like he used to. If the rumors of him not signing a $12 million-dollar max deal, then he obviously has an issue that we haven't heard about. I might be in the minority here, but EP and his whole "I want to be on a winning team" schtick rubbed me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, but something bugs me about him. No doubt he is talented, but I've been an ardent fan since 1982, and it should be team before self, and I don't get that from him.

I said it then, but I think the writing was on the wall when they chose Miller over Bo

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

That's where the Big talk comes after the season.

To me 12 is to much so if he doesn't sign asap you trade him at the draft.

EP if he really wants to win should come back saying 11 mill a season to keep  money for others.

Find a team with a good young player, D man , good prospect and a first plus whatever else would work maybe another pick or prospect.

To me Carolina or the Panthers would be a great trade partner.

If that report is true, I'd say it's not about money

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I agree. I think the expectations placed on him are very high - and it seems he's struggling to meet those. But as 'bad' as he is now, he's still very much in the mix as a top performing player. Maybe he's injured, but I doubt he's actually disgruntled.

That said, I'm also quite concerned about that quote he made, plus his performance this season. At 12M, he is not worth what he's doing now, but the market has been inflated with these types of contracts. Some of which are actually good deals, like McDavid's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

12M is 13.7% of the cap next year, McKinnon and Mcdavids contract are roughly 15% of the cap this year, matthews new contract is roughly 15% next year. I think 12M is fair for Petterson in comparison to those guys, he's a tier down so -1%-1.5% sounds about right, and as we are heading out of the flat cap era, that percentage will come down.

in a 100 mil cap world it could be a bargain if he's this productive over 8 full years, which I think he's capable of. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, J-23 said:

Why would Ottawa do this, don’t they want to compete next season.

The sens have something cooking right now. Rumor Boys hearing that Ottawa would maybe move Brady Tkachuk. Can’t believe it though because no one could be that dumb. 9 points out of playoffs with 2 games in hand https://t.co/EF5FdrXzT0 

– Ryan Whitney (@ryanwhitney6) February 25, 2024

Sesame Street Idk GIF

3 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

If you were around for the 2011 era thr  you remember Kesler doing the same thing.  That rubbed everyone thr wrong way.  It was 10 years before he felt he could come back to our building without getting booed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Petey probably takes 11.5 or 11.75M over 4 years, and then sees where he's at, during that time. But he'll be a UFA by that point, so he could very well walk away from the team, pursuing both money and being on a contender at that time. Sucks to be talking about one of our best players possibly not wanting to be in blue and green. What would be his reason? The team is in first place. They're winning. Fuck, they're even a contender this season. Allvin and Rutherford have done everything they can to get Petey to sign on the dotted line, but the player himself doesn't seem to want to sign. Unless he's really serious about signing in the off-season. But it better happen, or else he just looks worse and worse for stringing the team along, causing distractions (to himself, and his teammates). 

Petey should be our best player 

he has the most raw skill when he’s on… or he’s just behind Hughes… or on par… etc

if he put on some muscle played with more of an edge - was harder to knock off the puck and didn’t disappear for stretches at a time the dude would dominate… but his skill doesn't translate consistently cuz he’s not built for the rigours of the NHL… he’s just not tough enough physically or mentally…

I’ve said it before but he’s often the one who messes up the power play… and ya falls down easily looses the puck in traffic 

Maybe I’m just looking for it.. but I’d rather have tougher dudes who can win battles along the boards - who are tougher mentally and don’t fall down… if our systems are good and everyone is on the same page you win… 

But at the same time I’m hoping that he gets stronger and tougher and is able to handle the rigours of the NHL because the guy has crazy skill…

Kinda like the Sedins developed - they were always falling down and getting pushed around till they figured it out and got tougher and stronger and dominated… But it took some years for that happen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

And 12 mil allows him to be me and team…

if he’s not interested in that he wants somewhere else 

and it’s showing 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Send him to hockey hell. 

The way he's stringing the Canucks along. I could see management sending him there. Look what happened to Johnny Hockey in Columbus. 

That would be hilarious... but any team who gives up a ton to get him is going to want assurances. If EP doesn't want to re-sign he can just walk in a year, nobody is selling the farm for that.

53 minutes ago, Dom said:

It really sounds like he's going to get traded. 

JR said he's not trading him during the season.  It's too disruptive.  It's off season business.   If he doesn't sign by then, of course he will get traded.  

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

The sens have something cooking right now. Rumor Boys hearing that Ottawa would maybe move Brady Tkachuk. Can’t believe it though because no one could be that dumb. 9 points out of playoffs with 2 games in hand https://t.co/EF5FdrXzT0 

– Ryan Whitney (@ryanwhitney6) February 25, 2024

Sesame Street Idk GIF

is this credible? maybe BT wants out. 

I wouldn't get too excited, he's probably going to Florida. 

Edited by Bob Long

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

If you were around for the 2011 era thr  you remember Kesler doing the same thing.  That rubbed everyone thr wrong way.  It was 10 years before he felt he could come back to our building without getting booed.  

The difference with Kesler was that he’d already put over 10 years of his blood, sweat and tears into the organization, working his way up from the Manitoba Moose to almost single handedly getting us the Cup final on one leg.

After that he just wasn’t interested in being part of another rebuild at his age. 

I don’t like how it eventually ended for him but I don’t begrudge him wanting to leave. He’d earned it by that point imo.

Petey hasn’t earned a damn thing at this point.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Ya definitely got his wish - this is the winningest team in the league and YET he’s disconnected disengaged… and (one more d) he disappears 

deposit him on another squad and get a top 6 dude who has JT grit size and compete and a few first round draft pics 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

The difference with Kesler was that he’d already put over 10 years of his blood, sweat and tears into the organization, working his way up from the Manitoba Moose to almost single handedly getting us the Cup final on one leg.

After that he just wasn’t interested in being part of another rebuild at his age. 

I don’t like how it eventually ended for him but I don’t begrudge him wanting to leave. He’d earned it by that point imo.

Petey hasn’t earned a damn thing at this point.

Well said.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Ya definitely got his wish - this is the winningest team in the league and he’s disconnected disengaged… and (one more d) disappears 

deposit him on another squad and get a top 6 dude who has JT grit size and compete and a few first round draft pics 

Buchnevich 

Dvorsky

1st unprotected

• MillerTime 1

15 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

JR said he's not trading him during the season.  It's too disruptive.  It's off season business.   If he doesn't sign by then, of course he will get traded.  

Not unless he continues to show disinterest and poor play all the way leading up to the TDL. 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1