[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Just now, HKSR said:

Out of the top 15 scorers in the league, he has the 3rd lowest primary assists and that's including Matthews who only has 25 assists in total.

He also has a better points percentage against teams in the top 10 than he does against others.

6 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Have you been watching - him- he disappeared - for the past month he’s lost his spark - looks disengaged and disinterested - he might be putting up points but he’s lost his fire

You can bet your bottom dollar Oilers fans were asking the same questions about McDavid and Draisaitl for the first month before they figured it out. 

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

Exactly this. It's pathetic and downright embarrassing to criticize this guy for a "rough" stretch where he still has 9 points in his last 10 games. 

He is also a minus 2 in those last 10 games, and he looks like he doesn't give a rip. IF the rumor is true that he was offered that mega deal but didn't sign it, then he wants out. If he was 22 still, I would cut him some slack, but the fact that he still gets knocked down so easily has convinced me that we are not going to see Sundin v2 here, and if that is the case, then he is nowhere near a $12 million dollar player for max term. $12 million dollar players are guys like McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

He is also a minus 2 in those last 10 games, and he looks like he doesn't give a rip. IF the rumor is true that he was offered that mega deal but didn't sign it, then he wants out. If he was 22 still, I would cut him some slack, but the fact that he still gets knocked down so easily has convinced me that we are not going to see Sundin v2 here, and if that is the case, then he is nowhere near a $12 million dollar player for max term. $12 million dollar players are guys like McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews.

The last report was he never in fact turned down that 8 year, $96 million offer in the summer but, again, stated he wanted to see how the season went and didn't want to negotiate during it. 

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

The difference with Kesler was that he’d already put over 10 years of his blood, sweat and tears into the organization, working his way up from the Manitoba Moose to almost single handedly getting us the Cup final on one leg.

After that he just wasn’t interested in being part of another rebuild at his age. 

I don’t like how it eventually ended for him but I don’t begrudge him wanting to leave. He’d earned it by that point imo.

Petey hasn’t earned a damn thing at this point.

Agree 💯 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Pears said:

You can bet your bottom dollar Oilers fans were asking the same questions about McDavid and Draisaitl for the first month before they figured it out. 

The deal is McGoats was injured 

he got better and hasn’t looked back

petey fades in and fades out over and over… 

And he’s lost his spark 

isn’t emotionally invested 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

The deal is McGoats was injured 

he got better and hasn’t looked back

petey fades in and fades out over and over… 

And he’s lost his spark 

isn’t emotionally invested 

Bullshit. There was not a single report of McDavid playing injured whatsoever. That's just a sad made up excuse to fit your narratives. 

Just now, Hammertime said:

Maybe it's something in his personal life? He just doesn't seem to be the player we all know he can be. His focus seems off. Hopefully he will be back soon. 

Ya that crossed my mind 

maybe he’s depressed

SmElliotte Friedman trying to create waves again. 🙄

Teams call on different players all the time doesn’t mean they’re being shopped or that there’s anything to it. He “reports” on this because he likes to try and rile this market up. It’s unprofessional.

Report on something concrete not a bunch of supposed phone calls that went nowhere.

Edited by DeNiro

We all care about Petey and this team 

we want management to assemble the best team possible that will give us the best possible chance of bringing home Lord Stanley 

we all believe he has the talent to be top 5 in the league but something has gone out in him… 

“the thrill is gone”

we all approach this situation a little differently that’s all

we don’t have to agree - but let’s keep it fun around here… don’t take yourself too seriously 

hugs not drugs 

stay classy

we all want the same thing…

Lord Stanley…

48 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

And if the rumor isn’t true?

• Like 1

Dhali mentioned that there's zero indication that Petey wants to sign long term, and there's "frustration there." He also mentions Petey doesn't want out. So it's just a case of Petey wanting a short-mid term deal and management wanting 7-8 year deal. I think Petey is more concerned with chasing the bag than winning like he claimed. Again, that's his right. But the writing is on the wall that he's more interested in money. Following the Matthews model of getting the biggest possible bag on 4-5 year deals.

I don't think the sky is falling. I think Petey would re-sign. The question is, how committed is he to winning and the team. And how much of it is just him trying to get every single penny he can. Is the lack of commitment to a long term deal enough for management to trade off the center with arguably the most talent we've ever had? I somehow doubt it. I think they begrudgingly sign him to a 4-5 year deal for 12+mil and just try build around him and Huggy as best they can.

• MillerTime 1

I think it's best for both sides to just wait it out, it's hard to say if he doesn't want to be here forever, maybe he wants some California love, I don't think it's really hurt us not locking him up he's been hot and cold, no way we trade him this year Jesus that would be stupid. We still have leverage here. Hard to see him making 4 mill more than Miller. Would have been nice having Miller Horvat Petey this year but Bo wanted that chedda cheese and maybe Petey is the same. At least we got Lindholm as I think our Centers were not at contender level with Bo gone. And maybe Lindholm signs cheaper than Bo would have? By a million at best probably.. I still see Petey at a level below McJesus, Matthews, Mckinnon.. so I'm still in the 11 max crowd. Doesn't seem like that'll get it done but maybe we trade him next year like Colorado did with O O OReilly, and a bunch of other young stars, would be nice to get a damn good roster player And a 1st + to keep some youth coming in while we go for it.  Just has to be the right package which Petey would collect for us. I'm not worried really. Miller still has some good years of the player coming back is a big step back in progress and needs some time. But if that's their plan gotta get a damn good Center back, and a high pick. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Can you tell me who made the heads up play in overtime on Saturday that lead to Boston getting called for too many men?

Petterson is an excellent smart hockey player, and a top player in the league. No one on here said he wasn't; he is VERY good, not élite. The question is if a guy that fades in and out for periods of time throughout the year and seems disinterested/disengaged at the moment is worth >12m/yr over 8 years.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey is here for now...I want him to play hard in the playoffs and if he wins the cup, he has his cup, his qualification money for next year or a trade to another team and I suspect PA and JR will pull the plug early so as not to be further backed into a corner. Win a cup and leave..love and leave them way of operating one's life.

• Cheers 1