[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

26 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dhali mentioned that there's zero indication that Petey wants to sign long term, and there's "frustration there." He also mentions Petey doesn't want out. So it's just a case of Petey wanting a short-mid term deal and management wanting 7-8 year deal. I think Petey is more concerned with chasing the bag than winning like he claimed. Again, that's his right. But the writing is on the wall that he's more interested in money. Following the Matthews model of getting the biggest possible bag on 4-5 year deals.

I don't think the sky is falling. I think Petey would re-sign. The question is, how committed is he to winning and the team. And how much of it is just him trying to get every single penny he can. Is the lack of commitment to a long term deal enough for management to trade off the center with arguably the most talent we've ever had? I somehow doubt it. I think they begrudgingly sign him to a 4-5 year deal for 12+mil and just try build around him and Huggy as best they can.

Mid (term) deal could make sense IMO...

Miller is signed to 2028-2029

Hughes signed to 2026-2027

Thatcher signed to 2025-2026

That's probably your window to win, If Petey signs a 4 or 5 year deal and wants $12.5-13 million then so be it. But I would want a movable contract in the final season (or 2). If we can't win during that window, we'd need to be able to pivot and move him to recoup some assets if he didn't want to stay. IMO

During that timeline guys like Lekkermaki, Willander, D-Petey, Podkolzin should be able to come in on cheaper contracts and keep our Cap in balance.

I suspect the CAP will increase over that timeline as well to help resign some of the players we'd like to keep such as Demko 

I don't think Petey's next contract has to be a all or nothing (Max term 8 years) ...just my 2 cents though.   

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Mid (term) deal could make sense IMO...

Miller is signed to 2028-2029

Hughes signed to 2026-2027

Thatcher signed to 2025-2026

That's probably your window to win, If Petey signs a 4 or 5 year deal and wants $12.5-13 million then so be it. But I would want a a movable contract in the final season (or 2).

If we can't win during that window we'd need to be able to pivot and move him to recoup some assets if he didn't want to stay. IMO

During that timeline guys like Lekkermaki, Willander, D-Petey, Podkolzin should be able to come in on cheaper contracts and keep our Cap in balance.

I suspect the CAP will increase over that timeline as well to help resign some of the players we'd like to keep such as Demko 

I don't think it has to be an all or nothing contract (Max Term)...just my 2 cents though.   

If anything less term should lower the price no?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Johngould21 said:

Petey also said he doesn't want to have his contract negotiated during the season, let's let this play out.

It’s not difficult to sense he doesn’t want to be here long term. If that report is true then he has already made up his mind on what he wants (nothing long term). Which is fine. The organization would know more about this than us. Let’s dig our heads into the sand.

If we sign him short term it better be for less than 12M per. 

Just now, Hammertime said:

Not entirely sure...in theory you'd be buying his most productive years. 

He's 25 now so a 4 or 5 year contract would take hime to 29 or 30....that's typically when players have peaked 

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

If Matthews' contracts are anything to go off of, doesn't seem like it. His last deal was 11.6mil. Which didn't seem like less than market value. And his current deal is over 13mil. Money isn't being left on the table for short term deals anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Petey also said he doesn't want to have his contract negotiated during the season, let's let this play out.

I never understood this reasoning. Pettey have an agent. He doesn't do any negotiating anyways. 

The agent can negotiate just fine without Pettey ever needing to know about it until there is something to sign. 

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If Matthews' contracts are anything to go off of, doesn't seem like it. His last deal was 11.6mil. Which didn't seem like less than market value. And his current deal is over 13mil. Money isn't being left on the table for short term deals anymore.

Agreed... I think it has more to do with their age and production though. 

• Upvote 1

Round and round we go conjecture and assumptions.

He will work on his deal in the offseason, this is really proving a very hard thing to understand. Media make it sound like there is a daily struggle and frustration during an active negotiation.

There is also no rule or law saying a player whose a pending RFA has to sign an 8 year deal. Smarter for a player to look for shorter term in a world where a contending window is now opening and a cap world where the cap will rise year by year again. Its not chasing the bag in having your representation look at ways for you to maximize your earnings.

After a deep Playoff run I expect to see the Canucks extend Petey and Hronek, not too concerned, not too worried about term or price. These contracts won't affect the other pending UFAs as is so its not really much of a distraction or story except I guess that we keep replying here and the media keeps running with nothing lol.

4 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Agreed... I think it has more to do with their age and production though. 

Definitely. Matthews lived up to his past contract. And surpassed it's value this year. But he'll pretty much have to be a consistent 60 goal scorer to live up to 13mil. Which is why managements love long term deals so much. We'll see how much it matters to this management team this summer.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If the season ended right now 

Miller would possibly garner some Selke and even Hart nominations.

Petey wouldn't 

I dare say Miller is more valuable to us right now than Petey

If Petey doesn't want to be here so be it.  Trade him where he wants to be and reap the futures for it

Don't hold on for the sole reason of hope

That's called pulling a Gaudreau

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Matthews is on pace for 76g. 

Pete on the other hand is not. He only has 38 points 5v5 and nearly a 3rd of his total points are 2ndary assists. The gap between Matthews and Pete is wide.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

All I see is panicked speculation.  

I don't see any panic. I just see Canucks fans discussing if Petey is worth 13m/8yrs and if he truly wants to be here. Panic is what you see in Edmonton trying to appease McDavid so he stick around beyond 2026.

IF we were to decide to trade Petey, we'd get a very good haul, and probably do a Horvat & Hronek type deal (trade player for picks...flip picks for top end roster players). We are in the drivers seat. We just need to be honest about who Petey is, and ensure we get max value for him IF he doesn't want to be here.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Matthews is on pace for 76g. 

Pete on the other hand is not. He only has 38 points 5v5 and nearly a 3rd of his total points are 2ndary assists. The gap between Matthews and Pete is wide.  

I never said Petey deserves Matthews money. I am saying Matthews didn't leave money on the table, and neither would Petey.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

In some markets, a player would be lauded as a hero and a true team player if he was determined to focus only on playing hockey and helping the team win during the season, and delayed his contract negotiations to the off season.

Once again, it is not about him just not wanting to resign in season; this is a discussion of what he is worth and why he hasn't seemed engaged in a while. Besides, the whole premise of not resigning in season is to avoid the drama and mental toll. We'll...sorry to say, this is Canadian market, and not resigning causes more drama than signing.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dhali mentioned that there's zero indication that Petey wants to sign long term, and there's "frustration there." He also mentions Petey doesn't want out. So it's just a case of Petey wanting a short-mid term deal and management wanting 7-8 year deal. I think Petey is more concerned with chasing the bag than winning like he claimed. Again, that's his right. But the writing is on the wall that he's more interested in money. Following the Matthews model of getting the biggest possible bag on 4-5 year deals.

I don't think the sky is falling. I think Petey would re-sign. The question is, how committed is he to winning and the team. And how much of it is just him trying to get every single penny he can. Is the lack of commitment to a long term deal enough for management to trade off the center with arguably the most talent we've ever had? I somehow doubt it. I think they begrudgingly sign him to a 4-5 year deal for 12+mil and just try build around him and Huggy as best they can.

I don't necessarily see a 4-5 year as being the end of the world. Pettersson will be 26 in November, a 5x12M deal would take him through the meat of his prime and give both sides and out. 

We get his best years without the potential decline, he gets an opportunity to cash in elsewhere, or to possibly re-sign with the Canucks. I view it as win/win. 

I've argued it in this thread before, I think going forward we'll see more top tier players opting to go the Matthews route, they'll bet on themselves for an overall larger payday across multiple deals instead of taking a single mega deal. Lot of guys will still opt for security, but I think we'll see more of it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

In some markets, a player would be lauded as a hero and a true team player if he was determined to focus only on playing hockey and helping the team win during the season, and delayed his contract negotiations to the off season.

Your post is spot on. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix