[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If the season ended right now 

Miller would possibly garner some Selke and even Hart nominations.

Petey wouldn't 

I dare say Miller is more valuable to us right now than Petey

If Petey doesn't want to be here so be it.  Trade him where he wants to be and reap the futures for it

Don't hold on for the sole reason of hope

Yeah I would just say if he is traded next year better be damn sure to get a up and coming sure thing Center to replace him, a guy who can play the 3rd C role now. Sucks to loose him but the haul would be insane for him too. The guys amazing but does have his flaws, thank God he's not our only 1C option def still a 1b behind Miller. Crazy times though. I don't understand why he wouldn't want to be here lol. (Speculation) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't necessarily see a 4-5 year as being the end of the world. Pettersson will be 26 in November, a 5x12M deal would take him through the meat of his prime and give both sides and out. 

We get his best years without the potential decline, he gets an opportunity to cash in elsewhere, or to possibly re-sign with the Canucks. I view it as win/win. 

I've argued it in this thread before, I think going forward we'll see more top tier players opting to go the Matthews route, they'll bet on themselves for an overall larger payday across multiple deals instead of taking a single mega deal. Lot of guys will still opt for security, but I think we'll see more of it. 

It's true, we'll have his best years and him leaving to get overpaid in his 30s isn't so bad. I just worry we'll be the suckers to overpay him in his 30s.

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I never said Petey deserves Matthews money. I am saying Matthews didn't leave money on the table, and neither would Petey.

Sure I'm just saying if he's signing short term the number should be closer to 10 than 12. He's on pace for 101 points 50% of which are PP points and 30% are secondary assists. 10m is generous. If he doesn't want to sign long term then his contract should only reflect what he is presently worth. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It's true, we'll have his best years and him leaving to get overpaid in his 30s isn't so bad. I just worry we'll be the suckers to overpay him in his 30s.

It's gonna be someone

But if the idea is to try and chase a cup sooner than later, while Miller is still a force, than signing Pettersson to a medium term deal fits that timeframe anyway 

We were always going to have to look beyond Pettersson sooner or later, which is why management needs to start using their high picks to start drafting center's again 

25 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Once again, it is not about him just not wanting to resign in season; this is a discussion of what he is worth and why he hasn't seemed engaged in a while. Besides, the whole premise of not resigning in season is to avoid the drama and mental toll. We'll...sorry to say, this is Canadian market, and not resigning causes more drama than signing.

Bang on, you might want to add....yet, to your final sentence.

Do you guys see Petey becoming a tougher player to play against ? someone who is not gonna fall down as much ? it took a long time for the Sedins to get their legs so to speak… They used to fall down a lot as well… What do you think the outlook is for his strength and his compete level… Do you think we’re gonna see Petey get stronger and stronger and harder to knock off the puck…?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

In some markets, a player would be lauded as a hero and a true team player if he was determined to focus only on playing hockey and helping the team win during the season, and delayed his contract negotiations to the off season.

this

15 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Sure I'm just saying if he's signing short term the number should be closer to 10 than 12. He's on pace for 101 points 50% of which are PP points and 30% are secondary assists. 10m is generous. If he doesn't want to sign long term then his contract should only reflect what he is presently worth. 

Sadly the world doesn't really work like that, he'll still sign for what he can in theory do not what he currently brings. If that were the case he should sign for closer to Miller money than over 10mil.

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, old guy said:

If he wants to play on a winning team-he's got that.

If he wants too much money- he'll have to go where that cash is available, and if that's all he wants he'll go wherever that is offered. 

I'm not worried that management will drop the ball here, but it will be interesting. I'm older and don't have time for bullshit games, I believe JR and PA feel the same way.

I think he might want everything... a winning team, huge money, less taxes and a market that isn't a fishbowl.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dhali mentioned that there's zero indication that Petey wants to sign long term, and there's "frustration there." He also mentions Petey doesn't want out. So it's just a case of Petey wanting a short-mid term deal and management wanting 7-8 year deal. I think Petey is more concerned with chasing the bag than winning like he claimed. Again, that's his right. But the writing is on the wall that he's more interested in money. Following the Matthews model of getting the biggest possible bag on 4-5 year deals.

I don't think the sky is falling. I think Petey would re-sign. The question is, how committed is he to winning and the team. And how much of it is just him trying to get every single penny he can. Is the lack of commitment to a long term deal enough for management to trade off the center with arguably the most talent we've ever had? I somehow doubt it. I think they begrudgingly sign him to a 4-5 year deal for 12+mil and just try build around him and Huggy as best they can.

I don't think he's in the top 5 for greatest players we've had.  I'd take Bure, mogilny, linden, naslund, bertuzzi, both sedins, Kesler, burrows in his prime, man o man I could go on.  Just cause he scored a lot of points doesn't mean his over all impact is as high as what I consider to be a great player.

Edited by ronning4center
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sadly the world doesn't really work like that, he'll still sign for what he can in theory do not what he currently brings. If that were the case he should sign for closer to Miller money than over 10mil.

That's not the case. Miller signed long term well into his late 30's If he had signed short term he number would have begun with 10. So it's kind of the inverse for Miller being 30 signing long term reduced the number where for Pete being 25 signing long term would increase it. 

27 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I would just say if he is traded next year better be damn sure to get a up and coming sure thing Center to replace him, a guy who can play the 3rd C role now. Sucks to loose him but the haul would be insane for him too. The guys amazing but does have his flaws, thank God he's not our only 1C option def still a 1b behind Miller. Crazy times though. I don't understand why he wouldn't want to be here lol. (Speculation) 

I can only surmise based on what I’ve seen in his time here that he would rather be anywhere that the media and fan spotlight won’t shine on him.

A market preferably that has maybe only one hockey reporter covering the team and where he could walk the streets and wouldn’t be recognized.

48 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

In some markets, a player would be lauded as a hero and a true team player if he was determined to focus only on playing hockey and helping the team win during the season, and delayed his contract negotiations to the off season.

No doubt, long Island loved it when Tavares did the same. Calgary fans could hardly contain their admiration for Johnny and Matthew when they waited it out. Columbus was overjoyed when Boberovsky, Panarin and Duchene all put contracts aside for the good of the team.

Petey just doesn't look happy much of the time. You would think being on a historically good team this year would have him pumped up, but it just doesn't look that way to me. He seemed to smile more in years past, although I could be misremembering. Something may be weighing on him, or he may just be getting more serious in his old age! Then again, I've noticed that Bains is super-stoic in his interviews too. Not sure I've seen the guy smile, but it doesn't mean he's not happy and dedicated to the team. So many hockey players don't show their emotions. I do prefer the JT Miller types who let it all out.

I am perfectly happy to see what Petey does in the playoffs, and I won't care one bit about a few regular season no-shows if he's a solid playoff producer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Do you guys see Petey becoming a tougher player to play against ? someone who is not gonna fall down as much ? it took a long time for the Sedins to get their legs so to speak… They used to fall down a lot as well… What do you think the outlook is for his strength and his compete level… Do you think we’re gonna see Petey get stronger and stronger and harder to knock off the puck…?

Not sure. If he was 22 or 23 then I wouldn't be concerned. The fact that he is 25 and he is still getting knocked around makes me really question this. The real question is, can you win the cup with him being your #2 centre? He is not that great of a face off guy, and he sure seems to give the puck away a lot.

I wonder if the Sedins have a hand in this. I remember the Sedins shut down contract negotiations until after the season back in 09 and preferred to sign short term deals signing for 5x 6.1m in their primes and then 4x7m back in the days of Kovalchukian terms being handed out. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

He trained hard last off season and looked jacked. Of course, players lose lots of it during the season, but I think if he continues to work out like he has, then yes, he will continue to build NHL man strength over the next few years and be much harder to push off the puck. 

Petey is replaceable...he plays hard but something is missing from his game....can it really be the money...whether he leaves 1 or 2 or 3 million on the table...really?  he will lifetime earnings of 100 million before he is 35...really?  can it be the money ... I do not think so...if he does not want to be here then he needs to leave as he is causing a distraction ...a good team mate one who is not selfish would make a deal or give an indication and move forward...he is entitled to wait and test the market.....he may go the way of Gudreau in Columbus....lots of money but no hockey future...and he has to live in Columbia, Ohio....starting to dislike Petey I have to say....need to stop calling him Petey..more like...first name only and sternly when one asks their child to behave..hereon in...now calling him Elias.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

That's not the case. Miller signed long term well into his late 30's If he had signed short term he number would have begun with 10. So it's kind of the inverse for Miller being 30 signing long term reduced the number where for Pete being 25 signing long term would increase it. 

It really depends, I know the Gillis era used the Sedin contracts to negotiate with other players. But you're also right, we signed Miller's last big deal, a 4 year deal would not be Petey's last deal.

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

arguably the most talent we've ever had?

That's a bit rich. 

He's arguably the 4th most important player on the team currently. if one of. 

Miller 

Hughes

Demko 

Go down it would be disastrous. If Pete were to get injured it would really suck but the effect wouldn't be nearly as devastating. 

9 minutes ago, testycal said:

Petey is replaceable...he plays hard but something is missing from his game....can it really be the money...whether he leaves 1 or 2 or 3 million on the table...really?  he will lifetime earnings of 100 million before he is 35...really?  can it be the money ... I do not think so...if he does not want to be here then he needs to leave as he is causing a distraction ...a good team mate one who is not selfish would make a deal or give an indication and move forward...he is entitled to wait and test the market.....he may go the way of Gudreau in Columbus....lots of money but no hockey future...and he has to live in Columbia, Ohio....starting to dislike Petey I have to say....need to stop calling him Petey..more like...first name only and sternly when one asks their child to behave..hereon in...now calling him Elias.....

Then you’ll need to be more specific as there’s two on the roster and one in the pipeline. 😂

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

That's a bit rich. 

He's arguably the 4th most important player on the team currently. if one of. 

Miller 

Hughes

Demko 

Go down it would be disastrous. If Pete were to get injured it would really suck but the effect wouldn't be nearly as devastating. 

I never said he was the most talented, just that he has the highest talent ceiling. I been on record all year saying Miller is our best forward. And I even said in another threat not too long ago that Petey isn't even our 2nd or 3rd most important player. On Reddit I went as far as to say 5 players have been more important. Including Hronek and Boeser. But we have really started to discount his upside cause he's been down this year. And his down year is still a 98+ point pace. Lol.

• MillerTime 1

44 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I think he might want everything... a winning team, huge money, less taxes and a market that isn't a fishbowl.

So Florida. 

What can we get out of Lightenings or Panthers?

Edited by 24K
  • ThereItIs 1