[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

29 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I wonder if the Sedins have a hand in this. I remember the Sedins shut down contract negotiations until after the season back in 09 and preferred to sign short term deals signing for 5x 6.1m in their primes and then 4x7m back in the days of Kovalchukian terms being handed out. 

If the Sedins are giving Pettey that kind of advice then they need to be terminated on the spot. 

They in management not, not the player union.

• Wiener 1

51 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I wonder if the Sedins have a hand in this. I remember the Sedins shut down contract negotiations until after the season back in 09 and preferred to sign short term deals signing for 5x 6.1m in their primes and then 4x7m back in the days of Kovalchukian terms being handed out. 

Actually the Sedins wanted to sign long term 9, 10 yrs, it could have been for around 5.6/yr from what I recall. It was Gillis that didn't want to sign them that long. He said he didn't believe in signing players that long even though he signed Luongo to a 12 yr term right after he said that. Gillis messed that up we could have had the Sedins for cheaper, longer and more cap money to spend for better complimentary players 

Edited by VanOriginal

Petey will Re-sign with the Canucks no doubts about it. The media are just blowing this out of proportion to cause angst amongst the fans. Though I believe it will be for 4 or 5 yrs. Which is probably good for both parties. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted this in another thread.

Brady Tkachuk,5th

For

EP40, Truscott and McDonough

If rumours are true and he might be shopped this trade would work for both.Easy sell to the fanbase of both.

1 hour ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Not sure. If he was 22 or 23 then I wouldn't be concerned. The fact that he is 25 and he is still getting knocked around makes me really question this. The real question is, can you win the cup with him being your #2 centre? He is not that great of a face off guy, and he sure seems to give the puck away a lot.

Ya I noticed that as well… especially on the power play… 

he’s either being pressured more than usual or psychologically he’s tired of the grind… and lost his edge… needs more character… at any rate we need dudes with more com-pete 

(see what I did there?)

• Like 1

The club wanted to give Petey the same deal Hughs got. Petey turned that down. Then he turned the captaincy down. 

The "winning" comment seems like it was just an excuse. The team is one of the best in the league now regardless what happens in the playoffs. 

I can't remember where i read it but there was talk that he likes New York. Maybe it has always been about a desire to live and play in NY. It makes sense to me. 

We will probably end up with some kind of trade with Zibanejad and Laffrenier coming the other way. 

Petey seems like a natural Canuck but if he doesn't want to be here , there's the door. 

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

The club wanted to give Petey the same deal Hughs got. Petey turned that down. Then he turned the captaincy down. 

The "winning" comment seems like it was just an excuse. The team is one of the best in the league now regardless what happens in the playoffs. 

I can't remember where i read it but there was talk that he likes New York. Maybe it has always been about a desire to live and play in NY. It makes sense to me. 

We will probably end up with some kind of trade with Zibanejad and Laffrenier coming the other way. 

Petey seems like a natural Canuck but if he doesn't want to be here , there's the door. 

Do you have a source for all that?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Posted this in another thread.

Brady Tkachuk,5th

For

EP40, Truscott and McDonough

If rumours are true and he might be shopped this trade would work for both.Easy sell to the fanbase of both.

He isn't being shopped, just teams inquring, which is normal. I'd say Petey is worth more than that. Lastly Truscott is UFA this year since he indicated he won't sign with the Canucks doubt he has any trade value or would want to sign with the Sens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It's gonna be someone

But if the idea is to try and chase a cup sooner than later, while Miller is still a force, than signing Pettersson to a medium term deal fits that timeframe anyway 

We were always going to have to look beyond Pettersson sooner or later, which is why management needs to start using their high picks to start drafting center's again 

Petey being moved will always happen via trade though. In the same way Horvat was moved.

I think the inference that he wants to live in New York is a good one. Nothing else makes sense. It was never about winning per se. But NY is a good team. 

Edited by Blue

Just now, VanOriginal said:

He isn't being shopped, just teams inquring, which is normal. I'd say Petey is worth more than that. Lastly Truscott is UFA this year since he indicated he won't sign with the Canucks doubt he has any trade value or would want to sign with the Sens. 

Tkachuk might be if rumours are true,if so yes you have to try and make the team better.

Brady I think will have a better rounded game then EP in he s prime so I'd try to get him now.

Truscott won't sign here but might there so a throw in but might work for them.

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Tkachuk might be if rumours are true,if so yes you have to try and make the team better.

Brady I think will have a better rounded game then EP in he s prime so I'd try to get him now.

Truscott won't sign here but might there so a throw in but might work for them.

Brady is a downgrade, he is LW not a C which would be needed, only a year younger than EP and aside from his toughness he hasn't shown the same overall hockey IQ and ability that EP has. Don't see BT surpassing EP at all. 

If EP doesn't want to sign here highly doubt he'd want to for the Sens. Any potential trade would require EP agreeing to sign for said acquiring team. 

Beside I'm not worried about EP not wanting to re-sign here as I see him re-signing for the Canucks, though at 4 or 5 yrs. Which is great imo

Edited by VanOriginal
  • Vintage 1

There’s no story until he undeniably informs the Canucks he wants out and by the craziness that is surrounding this, would you blame the guy? 

the media is poking at this cause there’s nothing really negative to talk about right now and it’s gets the fans all riled up cause some beat writer wrote a blog about nothing factual just theories and gross assumptions 

11 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Brady is a downgrade, he is LW not a C which would be needed, only a year younger than EP and aside from his toughness he hasn't shown the same overall hockey IQ and ability that EP has. Don't see BT surpassing EP at all. 

If EP doesn't want to sign here highly doubt he'd want to for the Sens. Any potential trade would require EP agreeing to sign for said acquiring team. 

Beside I'm not worried about EP not wanting to re-sign here as I see him re-signing for the Canucks, though at 4 or 5 yrs. Which is great imo

All a bunch of maybes and can't sees.

Traded are made with those questions all the time.

That's why we aren't GM's.

32 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Actually the Sedins wanted to sign long term 9, 10 yrs, it could have been for around 5.6/yr from what I recall. It was Gillis that didn't want to sign them that long. He said he didn't believe in signing players that long even though he signed Luongo to a 12 yr term right after he said that. Gillis messed that up we could have had the Sedins for cheaper, longer and more cap money to spend for better complimentary players 

Actually it was 12 years I remember that now that you mention it.  https://bc.ctvnews.ca/website-says-sedin-twins-seek-long-term-extension-1.409217 That would be a fun cap recapture to still be paying for a few more years. 

I believe they were on record later in their careers reflecting back saying short term is better. 

• Cheers 1

My take:

1. Pettersson will not be traded before the trade deadline.

2. The trade deadline comes in less than two weeks.

3. After the trade deadline passes the speculation will die down. Mngmt and the player will then confirm that no talks will occur until the off season.

4. Canucks will do a deal or two at the trade deadline - but not involving Petey.

5. In the summer the team will sign Petey.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DixonWard said:

I am a big fan of EP.  He is a special talent.  I am not hoping he leaves.  I am hoping he signs.  However, if he is going to keep talking about "wanting to play with a winner", he needs to take less money, and stop being out-played by Miller.  While it is hard to criticize the 5th highest scoring Centre in the league, but anyone watching his game can see that he doesn't bring the same intensity every shift.  MacKinnon, MacDavid, and, now, Miller bring the intensity every game, every shift.  They want to win and lead. 

EP should show how much he wants to win by accepting 10 mil and allowing the team to keep better players around him.  If he insists on 12+ mil he should be traded as he is not the leader we need and not the "winner" he says he wants to be.

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

but I can’t help but wonder if he’s gonna get stronger on his skates… and play with more intensity and consistency…

can you imagine if he did…

He would dominate… be a game changer… 

ya man - combine JT’s intensity with Petey’s skill and intelligence 

look out NHL!!!

if ONLY we could see into the future to see if that is where Petey is heading… 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

17 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

All a bunch of maybes and can't sees.

Traded are made with those questions all the time.

That's why we aren't GM's.

Actually there is a trade I'd make. Supposedly EP wants to play with Bedard in CHI. If CHI gets 1oa this yr I'd move EP and our 1st next yr for CHI 1oa (Celebrini) and this yrs TB 1st (Hemming or Chernyshov). That be a home run 

• Cheers 1

Petey would love to play in California. So Anaheim makes the most sense. They have a good young team, lots of cap space and a player I really like who could be Petey 2.0. Leo Carlsson. 

I’d do Petey for Carlsson and Drew Helleson. A nice young Swedish centre who can play the wing with Lindholm and a potential top 4 RHD. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VanOriginal said:

Maybe, or we could have been hogtied with 3 recapture penalties. 1 was annoying enough.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DixonWard said:

I am a big fan of EP.  He is a special talent.  I am not hoping he leaves.  I am hoping he signs.  However, if he is going to keep talking about "wanting to play with a winner", he needs to take less money, and stop being out-played by Miller.  While it is hard to criticize the 5th highest scoring Centre in the league, but anyone watching his game can see that he doesn't bring the same intensity every shift.  MacKinnon, MacDavid, and, now, Miller bring the intensity every game, every shift.  They want to win and lead. 

EP should show how much he wants to win by accepting 10 mil and allowing the team to keep better players around him.  If he insists on 12+ mil he should be traded as he is not the leader we need and not the "winner" he says he wants to be.

The "Home town discount" doesn't exist. It is only a shells game for guys that appear to take less money at the twilight of their career, and essentially carry dead years that will need to be bought out or just eaten. I will never argue a player should take less money to help the team; the team owner would never take a discount on ticket prices, so why should the player.

Petey deserves what his value is and that is 11-12m max. He is a VERY good player, not elite. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey would love to play in California. So Anaheim makes the most sense. They have a good young team, lots of cap space and a player I really like who could be Petey 2.0. Leo Carlsson. 

I’d do Petey for Carlsson and Drew Helleson. A nice young Swedish centre who can play the wing with Lindholm and a potential top 4 RHD. 

Petey for Jack Hughes would be nice too. But I like for Leo Carlsson too. Then Leo can slit into the three C role as he develops. The return would need to have more than just the two young guys. 

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Is this just something you're making up?

I haven't seen an article or any indication that Petey was offered the C.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The "Home town discount" doesn't exist. It is only a shells game for guys that appear to take less money at the twilight of their career, and essentially carry dead years that will need to be bought out or just eaten. I will never argue a player should take less money to help the team; the team owner would never take a discount on ticket prices, so why should the player.

Petey deserves what his value is and that is 11-12m max. He is a VERY good player, not elite. 

So Petey to Jersey for Jack and Luke Hughes? 

• Vintage 1