[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Random rambling perhaps, but my Youtube video feed seems full of Pettersson contract speculation these days. I get it, but it also gets frustrating since I tend to have a "let's wait until the end of the season" mentality. I don't feel like going insane from all this "will he" or "will he not" resign stuff.

My thought is most likely he resigns, especially if we continue to have a solid season. Logically, I don't see the reasoning to assume he won't at this point. Obviously, there will be the chance he doesn't and that's what the media's going to harp on, but that chance of him not resigning I would think is a smaller percentage compared with him resigning unless if there's things no one knows.

At this point it is clear he doesn't want to be here. 

Only so few players that behave like this re-signs with the team. 

The media is stirring something because it has been so quiet with trades. Petey already said he doesn't want to discuss contract during the season. I don't get which part of that the media does not understand...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

The whole thing seems very reminiscent of the Bo Horvat situation last year when the 2 parties just weren't close.  

They haven’t even begun negotiations.

This is completely different. Bo wanted to be here but wanted to get paid. That was more like the Nylander situation.

Right now fans are seeing this as more of the Tkachuk/Dubois situation which is why so many are panicking needlessly.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

**Media pushes worst case scenario narratives**

Media: Why are the fans all overreacting?

**Continues pushing panicky doomsday narratives**

So funny watching fans in this market continue to fall for the media constantly pulling to he puppet strings. And then acting like it’s all the fans. 😂

I don't see it as doomsday. Petterson had a 12 million /8 year contract offered before the season started and he didn't sign it. There is little indication that he's going to commit to Vancouver. Fans and management want to know what his intentions are. If he doesn't want to be here then fine. Then trades ideas and negotiations have to start. 

Perey needs to shit or get off the pot.

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

At this point it is clear he doesn't want to be here. 

Only so few players that behave like this re-signs with the team. 

Lots of players do not extend early, they play the season and hope they can earn themselves a bigger contract. UFAs and RFAs both do this.

Hell, both Petey and Hughes did this on their first contract renewal. The Sedins did this, Landeskog has done this, Stamkos has done this etc etc etc.

Is it a bit more nerve wracking not having him signed? For sure, would've been awesome if Petey extended for 8 last summer, but he didn't but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here.

We own his rights, if he's refusing to talk before the draft and UFA hits, I would then start to agree with people saying he doesn't want to be here, and he'll likely be traded at that point. Until then people are just speculating for absolutely no reason, and with no facts to back up that he doesn't want to be here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't see it as doomsday. Petterson had a 12 million /8 year contract offered before the season started and he didn't sign it. There is little indication that he's going to commit to Vancouver. Fans and management want to know what his intentions are. If he doesn't want to be here then fine. Then trades ideas and negotiations have to start. 

Perey needs to shit or get off the pot.

No he didn't, one person said that, who is not a credible source. Countless credible sources have come out and said that there is no proof to that offer ever happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Lots of players do not extend early, they play the season and hope they can earn themselves a bigger contract. UFAs and RFAs both do this.

Hell, both Petey and Hughes did this on their first contract renewal. The Sedins did this, Landeskog has done this, Stamkos has done this etc etc etc.

Is it a bit more nerve wracking not having him signed? For sure, would've been awesome if Petey extended for 8 last summer, but he didn't but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here.

We own his rights, if he's refusing to talk before the draft and UFA hits, I would then start to agree with people saying he doesn't want to be here, and he'll likely be traded at that point. Until then people are just speculating for absolutely no reason, and with no facts to back up that he doesn't want to be here.

By doing this I mean not signing 1 year left in rfa. That is the typical move of players wanting out. 

Just now, Blue said:

Do you really think they did not offer the captaincy to Petey ? 

And if they did , why isn't he the captain ?

No, I personally don't think they offered him the captaincy. He's not great with the media, and his personality doesn't really scream captain.

14 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

The whole thing seems very reminiscent of the Bo Horvat situation last year when the 2 parties just weren't close.  

Except for the club made Bo a 7 x 7 offer which was more than fair for him. 
Petey is a far superior player to Bo, and if the rumour of a 12 x 8 offer is true then Petey and the club would be close on money for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

By doing this I mean not signing 1 year left in rfa. That is the typical move of players wanting out. 

Well if he doesn't sign this summer, then I guess we know he doesn't want to be here. But at this point, there is nothing pointing to that.

He said at the beginning of the season, he will not negotiate the contract during the season.

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

No he didn't, one person said that, who is not a credible source. Countless credible sources have come out and said that there is no proof to that offer ever happening.

So you don't think the Canucks have made an offer to Petterson ? Rutherford is on the record saying they want to get a Petey extension done. Put 2 and 2 together. These are all confidential negotiations. We aren't going to get a copy of the offer to post on the internet. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I don’t know if you guys caught this, but when everyone was freaking out after Brock scored the OT winner, Pettersson was the only player not smiling during the celebration. 😔

so did he wish for something he now regrets 😉

Surprising if this happened though, as who isn't excited in any sport after a win, and a come from behind win at that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 24K said:

So Florida. 

What can we get out of Lightenings or Panthers?

Seattle, Nashville and Vegas are all in tax free states as well. Beyond that there are only 7 teams have a higher tax rate than Vancouver if he was insistent on pinching pennies.

Edited by Coryberg

Just now, Blue said:

So you don't think the Canucks have made an offer to Petterson ? Rutherford is on the record saying they want to get a Petey extension done. Put 2 and 2 together. These are all confidential negotiations. We aren't going to get a copy of the offer to post on the internet. 

Oh I am sure there was offers made and offers countered in the off season, but as you just pointed out, these are confidential so how do we know that 12x8 was offered? We don't, and it's speculation and taking the word of one reporter who is not a credible source, especially when it comes to the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

Seattle, Nashville and Vegas are all in tax free states as well. Beyond that there are only 7 teams have a higher tax rate than Vancouver of he was insistant on pinching pennies.

Seattle and Nashville ain't contenders so cross those off the list.

That leaves Vegas and we ain't trading him to a division trivial so that leaves only Florida. 

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Seattle, Nashville and Vegas are all in tax free states as well. Beyond that there are only 7 teams have a higher tax rate than Vancouver if he was insistent on pinching pennies.

The Empties are saying Petey isn’t concerned about taxes. It’s his anonymity that he cares most about. And Petey knows that he can’t live anonymously in any Canadian market. So if he does move on it will be to any US market so he can live in complete anonymity. 

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

No, I personally don't think they offered him the captaincy. He's not great with the media, and his personality doesn't really scream captain.

There was credible speculation that they offered Petterson the captaincy. To deny this is just delusional.

Petterson would have made a natural Canucks captain. To follow on Naslund and Sedin. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Except for the club made Bo a 7 x 7 offer which was more than fair for him. 
Petey is a far superior player to Bo, and if the rumour of a 12 x 8 offer is true then Petey and the club would be close on money for sure. 

Sounds like Pete want's short term so he can hit UFA in his prime holding all the cards. Frankly if he want's to go that route he's gotta leave money on the table. Or we send him to Columbus to stew in his own juices. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

There was credible speculation that they offered Petterson the captaincy. To deny this is just delusional.

Petterson would have made a natural Canucks captain. To follow on Naslund and Sedin. 

Where are your sources on this? All I remember is there was speculation it was between Miller, Petey and Hughes. Never anything about they offered Petey the captaincy.

You are assuming a lot and claiming it as facts to suit your narrative.

And the difference between Nazzy, and Hank are they were good with the media. Petey has always acted like the media is such a pain to him, which in a Canadian market you can't have a person like that as the captain.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Cheers 2