[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

2 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yeah, your American is coming out.

Winning a cup in America is not going to get you more recognition internationally than winning a cup in Canada.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I believe media gonna make a bigger deal of it if a big US city wins it than Vancouver. 

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Maybe cause I been living in the US too long but I came to the realization that no one gives a F about Canada unless we are the butt end of a joke. 

No one gives a fuck about hockey in the US. It’s less popular than college football in pretty much every state.

What are you even talking about. Winning in Canada would make him a legend. Winning in the US would put him behind MLB, NBA, NASCAR and golf coverage.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He said it might be a bit unusual for a player  to take this long to make up their mind.

Petey is a different cat though. He also made it very clear before the season he didn’t wanna negotiate in season. Not his fault no one was listening. 😂

It is one thing to not negotiate and another when your own management is unsure of your commitment. 

Edited by 24K
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No one gives a fuck about hockey in the US. It’s less popular than college football in pretty much every state.

What are you even talking about. Winning in Canada would make him a legend. Winning in the US would put him behind MLB, NBA, NASCAR and golf coverage.

I am talking about international coverage not Canadian patriotism. 

Like I said agree to disagree. We don't know cause Canada have gone so long without winning the cup to have history to point to. 

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

It is one thing to not negotiate and another when your own management are unsure of your commitment. 

At this point it seems like they don’t know whether he wants a short term or long term contract.

It’s not even known if he knows yet. Since when is it a must for a pending RFA to sign before the summer? Plenty of high profile RFAs and even UFAs have waited right till the summer and they weren’t crucified because of it.

Canucks fans need to chill. He’ll sign when he signs.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, 24K said:

I am talking about international coverage not Canadian patriotism. 

Like I said agree to disagree. We don't know cause Canada have gone so long without winning the cup to have history to point to. 

Any international media that covers hockey would realize what a big deal a Canadian team winning the cup would be.

It would get WAAY more coverage than yet another US team winning it.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay?

No cap space there either. Why is everyone assuming he wants to go to New York?

I'd send him to Columbus or Arizona he doesn't have any trade protection. He either signs here or he can play in Mullet arena for all I care .

Just now, Hammertime said:

I'd send him to Columbus or Arizona he doesn't have any trade protection. He either signs here or he can play in Mullet arena for all I care .

Well yea if he doesn’t sign here needless to say he’d be playing somewhere else. 😂

Why you heff to be so mad?

• Haha 2

Talk about shitty fans here… Is it like this in every fan forum or is it a lot of trolls here doing this to stir some commotion and laugh about it? 

If all those shitty fans here stabbing Petey in the back had hounded Benning off the GM post he had I could have respected you guys but since you probably thought he was good at ”drafting” you didn’t say a word during his eight years here screwing the organisation. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Any international media that covers hockey would realize what a big deal a Canadian team winning the cup would be.

I bet they want to see if the Van fans riot even when they win. might be a different sort of riot

Anyone else notice the EP40 jerseys are way cheaper than a JT or a Brock?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I am talking about headlines from none sports media.

I am not talkig about any team in the US either. No one cares if Arizona  or Minnesota wins it but the likes of the morning show, late nights, etc. is gonna make whole bigger deal if NY ir LA wins it. You ain't getting invited to Steve Colbert or Jimmy Kimmel if you win in Vancouver but you probably might if you did it in NY or LA. 

Just now, 24K said:

I am not talkig about any team in the US either. No one cares if Arizona  or Minnesota wins it but the likes of the morning show, late nights, etc. is gonna make whole bigger deal if NY ir LA wins it. You ain't getting invited to Steve Colbert or Jimmy Kimmel if you win in Vancouver but you probably might if you did it in NY or LA. 

So that’s what this has all been about then!

Petey has always dreamed of being on Kimmel… 🤔 Thanks for solving that one!

I hope you realize how ridiculous your leaps and bounds are. 

46 minutes ago, 24K said:

I agree. He always says he want to win where it matters and where he will get the biggest PR like Messi did. 

He probably see Vancouver and Canada as some back water hillbilly farm compared to the big apple. 

No, he didn't say that at all.  The question was around him helping the Canucks win the cup for the first time.  And he said it would be great to do that just like Messi did with Argentina, winning the World Cup for the first time with Messi on the team.  He never said anything about needing to win with a bigger team than Vancouver.

Here is the interview, the Messi stuff is right at the end.  Everyone can listen for themselves...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

"the last goal

ever scored

Won the leafs the cup"

So doesnt being written into a song have more weight than Kimmel?

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Hah. I guess Hughes could be next if he sees Petey leaving. After going through a botched rebuild because of the incompetency and idiocy of Benning. We’re now looking at another rebuild possibly. Fuck us. All of this noise now surrounding the team because it’s about Petey. Good grief. Does that affect the room? 

Doubt it as EP said summer time which media don't get.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I also don't think the International Coverage for the NHL is all that huge. Any other hockey crazed country has their own league and are sleeping when the NHL is being played.

I think there would be more talk about a Canadian team winning, 100%. But it's not gonna be plastered everywhere in the media.

The reason Messi is a legend is because he was the best player in the most popular sport in the world, if Petey wants that type of coverage he's kidding himself. Also, it's totally different since there is the Champions League where the best teams from all the big leagues play each other but the regular leagues are really only covered in the countries they play in(EPL in England, Bundesliga in Germany etc). Without the Champions League and the World Cup, Messi wouldn't have the world wide recognition.

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

You aren't getting invited to anything like that as an NHLer in the States, no matter what team you play for. These stars are behind the NFL, NBA and MLB for popularity in the USA.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky was on most of those shows...

Okay, you are talking about the best player to ever play the game. It is not a common occurrence that NHL players get invited to Late Night TV talk shows.

I don't think it's common for the stars of the even bigger sports to get invited to those shows either.

Edited by greenbean30

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Do you really think they did not offer the captaincy to Petey ? 

And if they did , why isn't he the captain ?

Dude, if you made up your statement that "Petey turned down the captaincy" then you're best to just say so.

Not sure why you would intentionally make up a B.S. story for no apparent reason, but put down the shovel. 

19 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Rebuilding teams aren't going to pay to trade for him.  He doesn't fit with a rebuild and he almost certainly won't sign with a rebuilding club.  It just doesn't make sense to gut a club to aquire a player who will be gone in a season 

53 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think that is a perfect comparison.  He wasn't in RFA years. He had already been to the promised land with the team. They were trying to keep as much of the pieces together as they could. And didn't just want to give him a massive retirement contract. They were clearly negotiating. They weren't handing him a pen and a blank check and asking him to write what he wants on it. Which is basically what the Canucks are doing.

Who really cares if it's not a perfect comparison. It's a comparison with a lot of similarities. That's the point.

2 hours ago, 24K said:

At this point it is clear he doesn't want to be here. 

Only so few players that behave like this re-signs with the team. 

Based on what? Look at his HNIC episode where he said he loved it here. There's more evidence he wants to stay than there is he wants to leave (where there is no evidence).

Thinking "it's clear that he doesn't want to be here" is nothing but your own paranoia taking hold... or you're trolling which I guess is possible? lol

And no, being silent is not evidence. If anything it's evidence he's focused on this season. Any extra thought of that is over thinking.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, 24K said:

We will just have to agree to disagree. I believe media gonna make a bigger deal of it if a big US city wins it than Vancouver. 

Depends on which US City. NYR I could see the argument. Arizona... not so much.