[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

20 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Rebuilding teams aren't going to pay to trade for him.  He doesn't fit with a rebuild and he almost certainly won't sign with a rebuilding club.  It just doesn't make sense to gut a club to aquire a player who will be gone in a season 

Did I bring up Montréal? 

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, 24K said:

We will just have to agree to disagree. I believe media gonna make a bigger deal of it if a big US city wins it than Vancouver. 

You know US cities have won the cup for the last 30 years right? American media barely blinks at who wins the Stanley Cup, lol. You are making zero sense. Also Canada is not the butt end of jokes in Europe, so again, your take is very off.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

The speculation in this thread is wild.  It just shows how the media infects the minds of fans.  He'll sign when he signs.  

It’s so bizarre. Also just seems to be the way these stoic quiet Swedes operate. I remember Naslund, Ohlund. Edler all did the same thing. Said they wouldn’t negotiate during the season, there was always speculation they wouldn’t re-sign and then sure enough, they’d sign in the summer and usually for less than the numbers being tossed around by the speculating “insiders”. They were also UFAs not RFAs, so this worry and angst is just bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

I'd have preferred he signed but that's looking more and more like his future will not.br here

If he wanted to be here he would have signed by now so to team would have cap certainty in place before the trade deadline so the team could plan which long term assets it can get

The delay is now hindering the teams ability to plan for the future ......  Sadly this isn't the way it would roll out if his heart was set on being here 

It's a business and if he does want out then I wish him well and thank him for his thrilling play. I hope he lands were he wishes and that our return will continue to set us up for great success 

Again I hope he does stay but it's really starting to look like that's not the outcome we will see 

I wasn't worried about it before (still not) mostly because of our management, and that you have no choice. If he won't sign with another team (if traded), that will lower the return though

Either way , you have no control if he wanted to be somewhere else, your return won't be overwhelming

But he used the excuse while we were a bottom feeder, that he wanted to be on a winning team (maybe a false reason to flee) ?

Now that he is on that winner he wanted, and his delay in signing is hurting signing and keeping a strong team together waiting on him signing when others become ufa

Maybe the Canucks will start signing the players that want to be here and EP next excuse is they don't have the money to sign me?

(JR himself said this is unusual) and he will have a back up plan to move forward

I am sure they have inquired and asked his agent, what is the length of terms he would do ? (you need that answer before $)

If it isn't long enough and suitable, I think JR, would then ask what length of term would he be willing to do with another team, and what are those lengths you would consider and with what teams?

With now knowing the teams, and if one of them were the ones inquiring about EP,  JR would be asking them , "if he were to be available, what are you offering"?

EP did say he wanted to wait till the end of the season, but what I bolded from you I think has merit, he is on a winner now, and if he wanted to be a part of this, and keep this team intact, he would have signed, if in his heart he wanted to be here

We are just spit balling ideas, as that is what a forum is designed for

If he stays, I know it will because management can make it work building a team, instead of a individual payday

If he is moved it is because his heart wasn't here, or, the money and term hurts building a depth team

Until that decision is made we get to enjoy some good exciting hockey once again finally

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we take Petterson’s comments about wanting to win at face value, it made sense that he didn’t want to extend last offseason.

We have been consistently one of the best teams in the league this year with the only key pieces not locked up being him and Hronek.

What extra information will be garnered between now and the offseason?  How we do in the playoffs?

At this point he is actively hurting the team’s chances to win next season and beyond by paralyzing the GM’s ability to make moves and sign other extensions until he knows what Petterson’s number is.  His agent will clearly understand this and has already floated the idea publicly about Petterson signing a one year extension/arb award taking him to free agency.

The team simply can’t go beyond the draft with Petterson not signed to an extension.  His value goes down every day after that, until he is just a rental at the TDL next season.  Also, without an extension, the team can’t make any moves all summer as they will almost certainly have to wait for an arb decision and what number that comes in at.

48 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

It’s so bizarre. Also just seems to be the way these stoic quiet Swedes operate. I remember Naslund, Ohlund. Edler all did the same thing. Said they wouldn’t negotiate during the season, there was always speculation they wouldn’t re-sign and then sure enough, they’d sign in the summer and usually for less than the numbers being tossed around by the speculating “insiders”. They were also UFAs not RFAs, so this worry and angst is just bizarre.

If you notice who's complaining the loudest are fans who, from jump, don't really like Petey's game and/or don't like the aav being thrown around because they feel he isnt worth that number.  It's pretty transparent.  For most, aside from the media gossip, it's much ado about nothing.  He'll sign, when he signs.  

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, he didn't say that at all.  The question was around him helping the Canucks win the cup for the first time.  And he said it would be great to do that just like Messi did with Argentina, winning the World Cup for the first time with Messi on the team.  He never said anything about needing to win with a bigger team than Vancouver.

Here is the interview, the Messi stuff is right at the end.  Everyone can listen for themselves...

Nothing in this boat cruise interview says to me that he doesn’t want to be here.  Frankly I don’t think it’s fair to speculate on any of that.  Both sides have options if a deal cannot be made.  I just want to concentrate on how the team plays rest of the way and worry about his contract after the season is over.  Hopefully he will bump the slump he is in and play like we know he caN.

btw, this past summer I was on that same boat (not at the same time).  Great way to see Stockholm.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the "I have no intel he wants out" part needs to be the most highlighted here. Everything else there is either Pettersson just being quiet (which means nothing) or someone's opinion that's being used to stir the pot.

Again... no intel he wants out. Let that roll around in your head for a bit. It's not very panic inducing by itself, is it? lol

• Cheers 1

I don’t think this have anything to do with money or terms. He’s prolly still waiting for management and coaching staff to give him some good proven wingers to play with. I don’t care miller played with everyone in his 99 point season. Since miller joined the team with ep top 3/4 wingers ep played with in his 5 seasons here in Vancouver the mins isn’t even close to the top 2 wingers miller played with. They give him 0 stability and I think that factors into this. I don’t care about if he wants a stable winger he should take less crap. Coz that doesn’t change the narrative in his 5 years in Vancouver he had 0 stability or top wingers to play with 

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t think this have anything to do with money or terms. He’s prolly still waiting for management and coaching staff to give him some good proven wingers to play with. I don’t care miller played with everyone in his 99 point season. Since miller joined the team with ep top 3/4 wingers ep played with in his 5 seasons here in Vancouver the mins isn’t even close to the top 2 wingers miller played with. They give him 0 stability and I think that factors into this. I don’t care about if he wants a stable winger he should take less crap. Coz that doesn’t change the narrative in his 5 years in Vancouver he had 0 stability or top wingers to play with 

Top wingers

Miller

Brock

Horvat

Toffoli

I count 4 from the last 5 years that he has played with.

Plus Kuz last year and now Lindy so in reality that's 6.

Kuz fell off the cliff but last year was a top player

Edited by cripplereh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

If we take Petterson’s comments about wanting to win at face value, it made sense that he didn’t want to extend last offseason.

We have been consistently one of the best teams in the league this year with the only key pieces not locked up being him and Hronek.

What extra information will be garnered between now and the offseason?  How we do in the playoffs?

At this point he is actively hurting the team’s chances to win next season and beyond by paralyzing the GM’s ability to make moves and sign other extensions until he knows what Petterson’s number is.  His agent will clearly understand this and has already floated the idea publicly about Petterson signing a one year extension/arb award taking him to free agency.

The team simply can’t go beyond the draft with Petterson not signed to an extension.  His value goes down every day after that, until he is just a rental at the TDL next season.  Also, without an extension, the team can’t make any moves all summer as they will almost certainly have to wait for an arb decision and what number that comes in at.

So basically he's fucking the organization. 

Sounds like a prick to me. 

And I love Petey. 

Edited by N4ZZY

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don't think this is true. I think this probably has everything to do with money first, and then to see if the team is a one off in terms of a winner, or is the winning this season sustainable moving forward? I think he signs short term (3-4 years), and then bet's off after that. If it's this difficult and crazy to sign this guy right now, what becomes of the season when he is a UFA and he has the pick of the litter to choose from? If I'm a betting man, I'm betting that he's going to take off after that. 

57 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the "I have no intel he wants out" part needs to be the most highlighted here. Everything else there is either Pettersson just being quiet (which means nothing) or someone's opinion that's being used to stir the pot.

Again... no intel he wants out. Let that roll around in your head for a bit. It's not very panic inducing by itself, is it? lol

Dahliwal's comment doesn't make sense. So he says that Canucks get the sense that Petey's not committed to them long term, but then later says that he has no intel? So where did get the information that the Canucks don't get the sense that Petey's not committed to them long term come from? lol. If you're going to pull information out of your ass, Dahliwal, at least lie about it well. Good grief. 

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

2 hours ago, arsenalian said:

You know US cities have won the cup for the last 30 years right? American media barely blinks at who wins the Stanley Cup, lol. You are making zero sense. Also Canada is not the butt end of jokes in Europe, so again, your take is very off.

That's so sad, man. That Lord Stanley's Cup hasn't been on Canadian soil in over 30 years. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Petey for Jack and Luke Hughes. Very fair trade for both clubs. 

Yeah, except that NJ doesn't do that deal. Jack Hughes is the better player, and he's younger by about 3 years.  

21 years old, and he had a 99 point season (22-23 season)

52 points in 42 games as a 22 year old this season. But he's been injured. 

Canucks would have to add for sure. I'd never say never, because if the GOAT (Gretzky) can be traded, everyone else is untouchable. 

1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

If you notice who's complaining the loudest are fans who, from jump, don't really like Petey's game and/or don't like the aav being thrown around because they feel he isnt worth that number.  It's pretty transparent.  For most, aside from the media gossip, it's much ado about nothing.  He'll sign, when he signs.  

They should choose a spokesperson so they don't litter everywhere on the forum. 😉

45 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So basically he's fucking the organization. 

Sounds like a prick to me. 

And I love Petey. 

Well there is no question it is hurting the club right now, hence why they are likely getting frustrated.

If Allvin wants to make a deadline move that involves taking back a player with term… he just can’t right now unless it is a really small cap hit.

If he had cost certainty for Petterson, he would have a really good idea how much cap space he will have and be able to map out the cap situation going forward.

The rest of the unsigned guys also have to wait in line until the big deals are in place.  You can’t commit other money to keep your options open to protect against offer sheets for our big RFAs.  You also just need to know how much money is leftover for a guy like Joshua who has likely priced himself out of Vancouver unless Petterson and Hronek come in at reasonable numbers.

Petterson saying he doesn’t want to negotiate in season isn’t a get out of jail free card for avoiding criticism.  He could have signed before the season if he was committed to the team.  He doesn’t have to do any of the work really.  His agent does it all and then Petey signs.

More often than not, big players like this extend with their own clubs…. So it is still more likely he will than not.  When he signs though, and for how much will go a long ways towards whether this is a winning team next year as well.

A $11.8 million dollar max term deal signed in August the day before a pending arb case drastically screws the team for next year.  The same deal signed this week puts the team in a much better position.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well there is no question it is hurting the club right now

And Petey doesn't know this or he doesn't care? Because I thought he said he wanted to play for a winner? If his indecision is affecting management from actually building a winner - who's really to blame here? Petey can't blame management who's trying to reinforce the team before the playoffs, because of Petey's indecision about not really knowing what to do. If the club isn't successful in the playoffs, he's not free from blame. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well there is no question it is hurting the club right now, hence why they are likely getting frustrated.

If Allvin wants to make a deadline move that involves taking back a player with term… he just can’t right now unless it is a really small cap hit.

If he had cost certainty for Petterson, he would have a really good idea how much cap space he will have and be able to map out the cap situation going forward.

The rest of the unsigned guys also have to wait in line until the big deals are in place.  You can’t commit other money to keep your options open to protect against offer sheets for our big RFAs.  You also just need to know how much money is leftover for a guy like Joshua who has likely priced himself out of Vancouver unless Petterson and Hronek come in at reasonable numbers.

Petterson saying he doesn’t want to negotiate in season isn’t a get out of jail free card for avoiding criticism.  He could have signed before the season if he was committed to the team.  He doesn’t have to do any of the work really.  His agent does it all and then Petey signs.

More often than not, big players like this extend with their own clubs…. So it is still more likely he will than not.  When he signs though, and for how much will go a long ways towards whether this is a winning team next year as well.

A $11.8 million dollar max term deal signed in August the day before a pending arb case drastically screws the team for next year.  The same deal signed this week puts the team in a much better position.

I just don't understand why he doesn't see that his hesitation is actually harming the team, and not helping it. The Canucks only go as far as Petey goes. He's a core piece, like a really core piece of this team. And like you say, he must have known that him not signing before the season would have put this club in a difficult position moving forward. Now you hear of all the rumors and misinformation going all over the place. Reporters in this city and outside of it, are going to be talking about him until the trade deadline passes, and even after it's done, the noise is going to be there still. There's normal noise, and then there's too much noise. Too much noise can affect the team in a negative way. You can only block out so much. If he cared about the team he's playing for, why wouldn't he sign? Is it just money to him? And the talk of being on a winner (which he is on, by the way) is just crap coming out of his mouth? 

4 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

But he used the excuse while we were a bottom feeder, that he wanted to be on a winning team (maybe a false reason to flee) ?

I remember Drance discussing this before the season started. Pettersson is a smart guy he's not going to think just one regular season making the playoffs means the team is winning team. 

Which I kind of agree with. So far this season has turned out to be a very good one but it all comes down in how the team performs in the Playoffs. I'd imagine if the team gets bounced in the 1st round or even in the 2nd round after 5 games, I would imagine, despite the regular season, Petey would still feel the team isn't where we wants it to be. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Pretty much. Petey has already been in the league for 6 years (i think), so I think his bench mark would be playoff success. I think he's in his career that he doesn't want to wait for regular season success to translate to playoff success.