[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, except that NJ doesn't do that deal. Jack Hughes is the better player, and he's younger by about 3 years.  

21 years old, and he had a 99 point season (22-23 season)

52 points in 42 games as a 22 year old this season. But he's been injured. 

Canucks would have to add for sure. I'd never say never, because if the GOAT (Gretzky) can be traded, everyone else is untouchable. 

Petey is by far the better player than Jack Hughes. It’s not even close really. The Empties are clear in this matter. Bow 🙇 

• Haha 1

It would be quite reasonable to assume that the only reason at this point Petey has not signed is because he isn't sure he wants to spend 8 more years in Vancouver.

The team is good and if he has a 96 million dollar offer on the table what else could it possibly be?

It's very likely he just doesn't like Vancouver / Metro Vancouver. Maybe it doesn't fit his life style. Vancouver isn't for everybody

Doesn't make sense to trade him now but at the draft get him the heck out. The canucks have plenty of long term options if they trade Petey I'm not worried... use that 12 mil to bring back Lindholm and bring home Reinhart... and get a bunch of cost controlled assets for Petey...

If we trade Petey put me on the side of I think the canucks will be a better team due to it in the long-run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

If you notice who's complaining the loudest are fans who, from jump, don't really like Petey's game and/or don't like the aav being thrown around because they feel he isnt worth that number.  It's pretty transparent.  For most, aside from the media gossip, it's much ado about nothing.  He'll sign, when he signs.  

Yeah, the vocal few (or is it two?) are pretty annoying. I mean, I don’t think Petey should be getting 12M either, at this point, but I actually trust this mgmt group to properly evaluate talent and pay accordingly. If they think 12M can fit the structure and their strategic plans then fine. If not, I’m sure they’ll get good assets back to make up for it. I’ll just wait and see what happens in the summer.

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I remember Drance discussing this before the season started. Pettersson is a smart guy he's not going to think just one regular season making the playoffs means the team is winning team. 

Which I kind of agree with. So far this season has turned out to be a very good one but it all comes down in how the team performs in the Playoffs. I'd imagine if the team gets bounced in the 1st round or even in the 2nd round after 5 games, I would imagine, despite the regular season, Petey would still feel the team isn't where we wants it to be. 

If they go further than that or win the cup, awesome! If they do as you say and he feels as you say, then he’s just being irrational and is having unrealistic expectations. It’s a process going from where the team was at the last few years to playoff success or a cup. Again, if they go further than that or win the cup this year, awesome, but teams typically don’t make the jump this team has made. Usually it’s over 2-3 years. Plus, if he wants that for this team (want to play for a winning team), then he needs to help guide them in that direction, not run for where he thinks the grass is greener. All that being said, I think management, coaches and teammates have proven this year that they’re headed in the correct direction. 

And, this isn’t to hate on him. He’s one of my favourite players and I’d love for him to sign long term, but he needs to get his head straight re: a few things (personal and team wise) and move forward in a positive direction with the team. 

Edited by 88Canuck

9 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

I wasn't worried about it before (still not) mostly because of our management, and that you have no choice. If he won't sign with another team (if traded), that will lower the return though

Either way , you have no control if he wanted to be somewhere else, your return won't be overwhelming

But he used the excuse while we were a bottom feeder, that he wanted to be on a winning team (maybe a false reason to flee) ?

Now that he is on that winner he wanted, and his delay in signing is hurting signing and keeping a strong team together waiting on him signing when others become ufa

Maybe the Canucks will start signing the players that want to be here and EP next excuse is they don't have the money to sign me?

(JR himself said this is unusual) and he will have a back up plan to move forward

I am sure they have inquired and asked his agent, what is the length of terms he would do ? (you need that answer before $)

If it isn't long enough and suitable, I think JR, would then ask what length of term would he be willing to do with another team, and what are those lengths you would consider and with what teams?

With now knowing the teams, and if one of them were the ones inquiring about EP,  JR would be asking them , "if he were to be available, what are you offering"?

EP did say he wanted to wait till the end of the season, but what I bolded from you I think has merit, he is on a winner now, and if he wanted to be a part of this, and keep this team intact, he would have signed, if in his heart he wanted to be here

We are just spit balling ideas, as that is what a forum is designed for

If he stays, I know it will because management can make it work building a team, instead of a individual payday

If he is moved it is because his heart wasn't here, or, the money and term hurts building a depth team

Until that decision is made we get to enjoy some good exciting hockey once again finally

Well said. You’ve put more thought and detail into what I was trying to say above.

TLDR Trust this management group to handle this properly 

• Thanks 1

Remember when everyone thought Matthews was going to walk free to Arizona or anywhere else but a Canadian franchise? Because he signed his way to free agency as fast as possible? Lets not jump to conclusions, lets let the GM and POHO handle this and either sign him or move him and gain MULTIPLE prospects/picks in return and end up deeper over all. I love Petey, but this is a win win either way. He stays or we gain a plethora of talent in return.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Dahliwal's comment doesn't make sense. So he says that Canucks get the sense that Petey's not committed to them long term, but then later says that he has no intel? So where did get the information that the Canucks don't get the sense that Petey's not committed to them long term come from? lol. If you're going to pull information out of your ass, Dahliwal, at least lie about it well. Good grief. 

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

I think the bolded answers your own question 😜

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Remember when everyone thought Matthews was going to walk free to Arizona or anywhere else but a Canadian franchise? Because he signed his way to free agency as fast as possible? Lets not jump to conclusions, lets let the GM and POHO handle this and either sign him or move him and gain MULTIPLE prospects/picks in return and end up deeper over all. I love Petey, but this is a win win either way. He stays or we gain a plethora of talent in return.

the only mistake that can be made is waiting until there's no value left to make a decision. We all saw that under Benning and have some PBSD from it. JR/PA won't do that.

All the angst and fighting about Miller, and look how that turned out. Guy wanted to be here, and is a stud performer. Although there are still a few here who don't like the Miller choice over Bo, but thats what a fan base is, a wide range of positions. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Remember when everyone thought Matthews was going to walk free to Arizona or anywhere else but a Canadian franchise? Because he signed his way to free agency as fast as possible. Lets not jump to conclusions, lets let the GM and POHO handle this and either sign him or move him and gain MULTIPLE prospects/picks in return and end up deeper over all. I love Petey, but this is a win win either way. He stays or we gain a plethora of talent in return.

IMHAO Matthews enjoys the limelight of a hockey crazy market. Petey isn’t like that. 
The Hughes boys spent a lot of years in Toronto. Quinn loves it here and so would his brothers. They would thrive in our hockey mad market. 
The Empties are seeing a Petey + for Jack and Luke Hughes. It will happen after our Cup celebration parade late June. 

Edited by Alflives

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the only mistake that can be made is waiting until there's no value left to make a decision. We all saw that under Benning and have some PBSD from it. JR/PA won't do that.

All the angst and fighting about Miller, and look how that turned out. Guy wanted to be here, and is a stud performer. Although there are still a few here who don't like the Miller choice over Bo, but thats what a fan base is, a wide range of positions. 

Not like Benning had much for value to move. Washed up old vets whos careers ended within a season or 2 after being moved. GILLIS waited too long and dropped their stocks.

this current management group also sat on everyone after 2021-22 when their values were fairly high, Kuzmenko shoulda been shipped last year at the TDL and we had to pay to dump him. Dont be so quick to overlook this current management groups slow choices.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Not like Benning had much for value to move. Washed up old vets whos careers ended within a season or 2 after being moved. GILLIS waited too long and dropped their stocks.

this current management group also sat on everyone after 2021-22 when their values were fairly high, Kuzmenko shoulda been shipped last year at the TDL and we had to pay to dump him. Dont be so quick to overlook this current management groups slow choices.

Gillis got fired for wanting to rebuild. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Difference is Matthews signed his deal in Aug 2023, an entire season before the expiry of his current deal.  Petey is waiting until his current deal is completely done before even negotiating. If Petey truly wants to win, he would do this management group good by signing before the TDL so they know what the hell they have to work with.  An extra $500k or $1m is a big difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

It would be quite reasonable to assume that the only reason at this point Petey has not signed is because he isn't sure he wants to spend 8 more years in Vancouver.

The team is good and if he has a 96 million dollar offer on the table what else could it possibly be?

It's very likely he just doesn't like Vancouver / Metro Vancouver. Maybe it doesn't fit his life style. Vancouver isn't for everybody

Doesn't make sense to trade him now but at the draft get him the heck out. The canucks have plenty of long term options if they trade Petey I'm not worried... use that 12 mil to bring back Lindholm and bring home Reinhart... and get a bunch of cost controlled assets for Petey...

If we trade Petey put me on the side of I think the canucks will be a better team due to it in the long-run.

Or... hear me out cause this is crazy.

He hasn't signed yet because he doesn't want to talk contract extension in season and wants to wait until this summer. Which is exactly what he made abundantly clear to Friedman last summer in his interview.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable to take a person based off the words they say though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

I’d love it but doubt Chicago says yes. 

No way Chicago says yes.  Bedard is a far more elite talent.  Whether or not he hits his ceiling is yet to be seen, but if he does, he'll be in the same tier as the best of the best in the league.  Mcdavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Kucherov level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Halford and Brough made some good points on Petey today 

is he becoming a distraction?

Organization is “very”frustrated they can’t him to the table 

issues:

team needs to plan ahead, his lack of willingness to negotiate puts them in a difficult position to make other decisions given cap issues - yet it is his right 

“alignment” 

top to bottom they’ve preached all pulling in the same direction, to win, Petey seems to be pulling in his own direction 

Not a franchise player and you have to pay him like one

Hughes, Demko, Miller are franchise players and he will be paid more than all of them 

Puts up a lot of points but is not without his flaws 

interesting takes, worth listening to hour one today 

Edited by Bardown
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

is he becoming a distraction? Organization is frustrated they can’t him to the table 

issues:

team needs to plan ahead, his lack of willingness to negotiate puts them in a difficult position to make other decisions given cap issues - yet it is his right 

“alignment” 

top to bottom they’ve preached all pulling in the same direction, to win, Petey seems to be pulling in his own 

“Not a franchise player and you have to pay him like one

Hughes, Demko, Miller are franchise players and he will be paid more than all of them 

Good reasons for him to be traded this off season.  Let's face reality, he's not gonna be traded at the TDL... makes no sense when the team is doing so well.  It makes a whole lot more sense in the off season if he's chasing $13m or something stupid like that.  

You look at the recent elite player signings in the league, MacKinnon, Matthews, Pastrnak... they all signed either before the start of their final season or at the very latest near the TDL.  Point is, they negotiated ahead of time.  None of them waited until the season was completely over before STARTING the negotiation process.  Pretty damn selfish IMO.

Edited by HKSR
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bardown said:

issues:

“alignment” 

top to bottom they’ve preached all pulling in the same direction, to win, Petey seems to be pulling in his own direction 

Interesting takes. I'm looking forward to when this whole situation is done, and I have a feeling it will be without Pettersson on the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Kuzy banana looked like an awesome fit with Petey, but he went out and had a bad offseason. Now look at him, scratched in Cowtown. Plus he was a free agent signing, we blew no picks on him.

53 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Agreed but the media (take it for what it’s worth 😂) is saying the Canucks are very frustrated (Halford and brough this am) because he won’t come to the table

Rutherford is old school, he wants to see a player cares and is committed to winning with this team, and apparently they’ve basically opened the cheque book for him… so him not willing to even discuss would be a red flag

the frustration also comes from their ability not to plan moves, at the deadline, UFA time, trades etc… this could lead to them making bad cap decisions that if he then needs to be moved, hurts our leverage in trades 

Petey is not thinking about the team here 

Edited by Bardown

5 minutes ago, Bardown said:

issues:

“alignment” 

Just watched this and was going to post it. They had a lot of valid points and it’s a lot of stuff I agree with. But again, not to hate on him…he’s one of my favourite players and I hope it gets sorted and he signs long term. As I mentioned in a post above, he needs to get his head straight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Interesting takes. I'm looking forward to when this whole situation is done, and I have a feeling it will be without Pettersson on the team.

I think it may be done already. See my last post, the  new management team like to plan ahead (unlike benning), so they can make moves. They are chess players 

Petey is hurting them as they can’t plan. This won’t be seen positively. 

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Or... hear me out cause this is crazy.

He hasn't signed yet because he doesn't want to talk contract extension in season and wants to wait until this summer. Which is exactly what he made abundantly clear to Friedman last summer in his interview.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable to take a person based off the words they say though.

I don't think that your take is unreasonable. You are accepting that EP40 wants to negotiate in "Good Faith" this summer.

The problem is that NHL hockey is a business. A large portion of building a roster happens in the very early part of the summer with "Free Agency", the "Entry Draft" and the order that we re-sign our "UFA's and RFA's and the diminishing "Cap Space" after each signing.

My take is that it is a very "Prima Donna" like postion for the EP40 group to take as a lot of the Canucks moves this summer will have to wait on Elias Pettersson.

• Like 1