[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

28 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we're taking Petey at his word, which you should take everyone at their word unless proven in trustworthy, management already knew they would have to wait till this summer. Nothing has changed, absolutely nothing. Is it reasonable that management hoped that winning roster would sway Petey to talking earlier then his original stated intention. Sure. But if you got out on a first date and your honey say there's no chance it's ending with boots on the floor, and you get pissy when you go home and have to play a game of solitaire, that's on you. You knew what you were getting into and can't be upset, even though the date went so well you hoped things had changed.

You say it's a business, that goes both ways. It's far more logical for Petey to wait till the summer. It's fine if you want to pretend these guys are our friends and bleed blue, but they are not. They are professional athletes who pay millions of dollars to powerful agencies with the soul intention on squeezing every penny out of a contract. Business goes both ways.

What really pisses me off, is I reckon half the people bitching about Petey right now also bitch about the media making mountains out of molehills. Nothing has changed since the summer, all this discussion is clicks and likes. The media is only driving this because fans are blowing their top instead of stopping for a minutes and realising that Petey has done nothing expect keep his words he said in the summer.

It's nothing to do with boots on the floor.  I equate it to girls that play mind games not telling you whether or not they want to keep seeing you.  It's selfish.

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Kuzy banana looked like an awesome fit with Petey, but he went out and had a bad offseason. Now look at him, scratched in Cowtown. Plus he was a free agent signing, we blew no picks on him.

We signed him for free only to PAY to get rid of him. his skating was INSTANTLY a major concern. He had a 39 goal season and we held onto a guy who cant skate and is poor defensively? Only to have to dump a 1st to get him out of here? When we could have sold extremely high at the TDL based off his production and no one really knowing who he was and the fact he was on a short deal. 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Regardless it was a panic and everyone viewed his path to free agency as the fastest guaranteed ticket out of Toronto. Especially when you look at the impact of COVID and how many americans wanted the fuck out of Canada. Or guys like Trouba and Fox. 

It was, but the panic was taken care if swiftly by signing just a few months into the period in which he could begin negotiations. 

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

That possible first rounder would look good as an ELC next year, or more importantly the 2 years of mega damage from the OEL buy out- which was my main reason for wanting a Kuze trade.

Hell of a guy, will likely end up as a solid 30 goal guy, but low cost is going to become very important in a years time.

Sure but we weren't thinking about rebuilding with him, didn't fit the win now idea 

Edited by Bob Long

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's nothing to do with boots on the floor.  I equate it to girls that play mind games not telling you whether or not they want to keep seeing you.  It's selfish.

Yeah I think your entirely wrong. Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract. Where exactly are the "mind games" that he has indeed not talked contract. I'd love for this to make sense to me, because that statement seems absurd to me right now.

• Cheers 1

I fully agree with this take. 

I can't stand when fans are called out as "haters" for wanting to discuss potentially negative aspects of things going on with the team. It's part of being a fan

I'm super frustrated by what, in my opinion, is selfishness on Petey's part not to help the team prepare for the future.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

We signed him for free only to PAY to get rid of him. his skating was INSTANTLY a major concern. He had a 39 goal season and we held onto a guy who cant skate and is poor defensively? Only to have to dump a 1st to get him out of here? When we could have sold extremely high at the TDL based off his production and no one really knowing who he was and the fact he was on a short deal. 

? When did we dump a first to get rid of Kuzy 🍌 

1 minute ago, van_can_fan said:

I can't stand when fans are called out as "haters" for wanting to discuss potentially negative aspects of things going on with the team. It's part of being a fan

I'm super frustrated by what, in my opinion, is selfishness on Petey's part not to help the team prepare for the future.

Meh its only a few that have a hard time having an objective discussion.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It was, but the panic was taken care if swiftly by signing just a few months into the period in which he could begin negotiations. 

Totally. But up til that point no one believed he was staying. I know countless leafs fans that said he was gone, there was no fuckin way he was staying. Nonetheless the guys in charge sat down and got it done.

We either re-sign Petey or we trade him for high end picks and prospects. Its a win win for us. A trade bringing in a couple high talented prospects/picks just makes us a deeper team AND better cap flexibility 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yeah I think your entirely wrong. Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract. Where exactly are the "mind games" that he has indeed not talked contract. I'd love for this to make sense to me, because that statement seems absurd to me right now.

No you're entirely wrong.  He hasn't come out and said whether he wants to re-sign or not.  It's like asking the girl if she wants to see you again, and the girl says I'll give you a call soon.  Promise.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

No you're entirely wrong.  He hasn't come out and said whether he wants to re-sign or not.  It's like asking the girl if she wants to see you again, and the girl says I'll give you a call soon.  Promise.

He said he didn't want to talk contract until the summer! There has been absolutely no mind games involved. None, zilch, nada. So far, until this point, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

The situation was layed out in plain sight on that faithful day, and now the Canucks are asking him to change his mind and come speak sooner. Please explain where the mind games are. I'm using your words in mind games, so it should be straight forward to explain how he's playing mind games.

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Petey missed part of a pre season before, due to contract issues.

I believe that shows he will do what suits him best, as a first priority; with all else coming after.

So did Quinn.  Are you expecting the Captain to follow suit?

55 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

crazy how things can change in a market or in managements thinking process.

I get the frustration, JR/PA need to ensure that they don't lose all this momentum. 

I do think you can replace Petey by committee most likely, I can't see us getting a 100 pt player back immediately in any deal tho. 

You won’t but you could get a couple 70pt players or a 70pt top 6 forward and a top 4D.  Like the Tkachuk trade with Florida.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, van_can_fan said:

Source... trust me bro, why people believe anything they read on Twitter is beyond me. 

42 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we're taking Petey at his word, which you should take everyone at their word unless proven in trustworthy, management already knew they would have to wait till this summer. Nothing has changed, absolutely nothing. Is it reasonable that management hoped that winning roster would sway Petey to talking earlier then his original stated intention. Sure. But if you got out on a first date and your honey say there's no chance it's ending with boots on the floor, and you get pissy when you go home and have to play a game of solitaire, that's on you. You knew what you were getting into and can't be upset, even though the date went so well you hoped things had changed.

You say it's a business, that goes both ways. It's far more logical for Petey to wait till the summer. It's fine if you want to pretend these guys are our friends and bleed blue, but they are not. They are professional athletes who pay millions of dollars to powerful agencies with the soul intention on squeezing every penny out of a contract. Business goes both ways.

What really pisses me off, is I reckon half the people bitching about Petey right now also bitch about the media making mountains out of molehills. Nothing has changed since the summer, all this discussion is clicks and likes. The media is only driving this because fans are blowing their top instead of stopping for a minutes and realising that Petey has done nothing expect keep his words he said in the summer.

Well fans can also think for themselves. It doesn't take some media click bait article to know that Petety's contract hold out is causing a distraction, limiting Management's ability to make decision prior to the TDL. Make long term plans and acquisitions, creating uncertainty about his commitment to the team and city etc.

Secondly, sure, Petey might be "keeping his word", but that doesnt make him a stand up citizen and immune from folks pointing out the repercussions of him keeping his word. I'd much rather Petey change his mind and make an unselfish decision, than be put on a pedestal for keeping his word despite the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

You won’t but you could get a couple 70pt players or a 70pt top 6 forward and a top 4D.  Like the Tkachuk trade with Florida.

I hope we can be smarter about it than Treliving, but yep something like that.

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Well fans can also think for themselves. It doesn't take some media click bait article to know that Petety's contract hold out is causing a distraction, limiting Management's ability to make decision prior to the TDL. Make long term plans and acquisitions, creating uncertainty about his commitment to the team and city etc.

Secondly, sure, Petey might be "keeping his word", but that doesnt make him a stand up citizen and immune from folks pointing out the repercussions of him keeping his word. I'd much rather Petey change his mind and make an unselfish decision, than be put on a pedestal for keeping his word despite the consequences.

As would I, but I'll never get pissy at a person for doing exactly what the said they would do. That's where I'll never agree with this conversations at there current point. Would it be incredibly helpful for Petey to give further insight, obviously. But from day 1 he said he didn't want to talk contract in season. People should be no more upset today then they were in September, but evidently that isn't correct at all.

9 minutes ago, van_can_fan said:

More dialed in ? to what ? there is nothing here to be dialed into ffs.

Player informs team he wants to negotiate after season, team ( management level ) accepts and regularly throughout season talks to player as is normal and not contract related. It is suggested by management they are happy to talk when the player wants to.

Thats it.

Zero to be frustrated about ? season is still ongoing is it not ? don't care who is pretending to be " dialed in " to the situation, there is no situation. No games, no disrespect, no frustration, no indication either way what the player wants to do.

Yet here we are on page 124 of nothing. As a fan, an outsider I would think maybe a player should have a better read on the market they are in and realize in the case of Vancouver, it's media group here and the almost a sabotaging desperation of the fanbase to stick to anything where there is smoke if not only to sound relevant but to make something out of nothing ( which the media here jump on so easily as the market makes it that way ).

There is nothing to report, simple.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

As would I, but I'll never get pissy at a person for doing exactly what the said they would do. That's where I'll never agree with this conversations at there current point. Would it be incredibly helpful for Petey to give further insight, obviously. But from day 1 he said he didn't want to talk contract in season. People should be no more upset today then they were in September, but evidently that isn't correct at all.

I think it's ok to infer from Peteys position that he knows a trade could be possible. Unless he locks in somewhere it's always a possibility. 

There are only a few players that I'd be happy to see traded for before this TDL, and reality can't see it unless a gm phones with a package no one could say no to, like Brady Tkachuk+. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

? When did we dump a first to get rid of Kuzy 🍌 

So you mean to tell me Lindholm on his own is worth… a 39 goal scorer on a team friendly deal… a 1st round pick a conditional 4th round pick that could potentially be a 3rd AND 2 prospects ?

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So did Quinn.  Are you expecting the Captain to follow suit?

It is a bit further away, but given that there was an issue last time, I'd lean to there being issues this next time too.

Just now, AnthonyG said:

So you mean to tell me Lindholm on his own is worth… a 39 goal scorer on a team friendly deal… a 1st round pick a conditional 4th round pick that could potentially be a 3rd AND 2 prospects ?

Yep that's the cost to do deals like this at the TDL, the most expensive time of the year to make moves.

Kuzy was/is high risk.

• Upvote 1