[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's ok to infer from Peteys position that he knows a trade could be possible. Unless he locks in somewhere it's always a possibility. 

There are only a few players that I'd be happy to see traded for before this TDL, and reality can't see it unless a gm phones with a package no one could say no to, like Brady Tkachuk+. 

I think you trade anyone if someone backs in the truck. Hell, I'd trade Hughes if NJ called in an absolute grandfather offer.

But at this point, why would we trade Petey, UNLESS there is more to the situation we don't know? The team is first in the league, were leaning into a cup run, and Petey is holding tight and doing exactly what he said he was going to do and wait to talk contract. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yep that's the cost to do deals like this at the TDL, the most expensive time of the year to make moves.

Kuzy was/is high risk.

Im sorry dude but thats brain dead.

Show me 5 more deals like that throughout the history of time. Kuzy was a cap dump. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

More dialed in ? to what ? there is nothing here to be dialed into ffs.

Player informs team he wants to negotiate after season, team ( management level ) accepts and regularly throughout season talks to player as is normal and not contract related. It is suggested by management they are happy to talk when the player wants to.

Thats it.

Zero to be frustrated about ? season is still ongoing is it not ? don't care who is pretending to be " dialed in " to the situation, there is no situation. No games, no disrespect, no frustration, no indication either way what the player wants to do.

Yet here we are on page 124 of nothing. As a fan, an outsider I would think maybe a player should have a better read on the market they are in and realize in the case of Vancouver, it's media group here and the almost a sabotaging desperation of the fanbase to stick to anything where there is smoke if not only to sound relevant but to make something out of nothing ( which the media here jump on so easily as the market makes it that way ).

There is nothing to report, simple.

Wha are you doing on this thread? Just here to complain that people want to discuss the topic of the thread you clicked on?

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Wrong

Actually Gillis went on local radio with Scotty Rintoul before he was fired and commented on his plan. Torts expressed openly that our core was stale. Gillis got fired for wanting to rebuild. Those are the facts. Accept and bow 🙇 to the Empties. 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

As would I, but I'll never get pissy at a person for doing exactly what the said they would do. That's where I'll never agree with this conversations at there current point. Would it be incredibly helpful for Petey to give further insight, obviously. But from day 1 he said he didn't want to talk contract in season. People should be no more upset today then they were in September, but evidently that isn't correct at all.

Of course they can be more upset or "pissy". Since between the time Petey made his statement in the summer, to where the team is now, a lot has changed. Most notably our position at the top of the league. Our use of LTIR, the trade with Lindholm to name a few, but not all.

Because the situation has changed  we are in a position that neither management or Petey thought we would be in, it is reasonable to assume that if Petey was fully invested in winning with this team, he would consider the factors which have changed, and reconsider how the decision he made in the summer might not be in the best interest of either him or the team to stick to.

It's called making an informed decision. With new information, its often best to reevaluate your position.

Petey doesn't "have to" change his mind, but based on a lot of new information, he really should. If he's choosing not to it's his choice, but it doesn't make him free of criticism, it actually makes him look pretty bad. IMHO

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Im sorry dude but thats brain dead.

Show me 5 more deals like that throughout the history of time. Kuzy was a cap dump. 

Here, about Kuz Missile being a cap dumperoo, we agree. The cost to dumperoo him was the first and the third. We pretty much got Lindholm for two iffy prospects. 

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Of course they can be more upset or "pissy". Since between the time Petey made his statement in the summer, to where the team is now, a lot has changed. Most notably our position at the top of the league. Our use of LTIR, the trade with Lindholm to name a few, but not all.

Because the situation has changed  we are in a position that neither management or Petey thought we would be in, it is reasonable to assume that if Petey was fully invested in winning with this team, he would consider the factors which have changed, and reconsider how the decision he made in the summer might not be in the best interest of either him or the team to stick to.

It's called making an informed decision. With new information, its often best to reevaluate your position.

Petey doesn't "have to" change his mind, but based on a lot of new information, he really should. If he's choosing not to it's his choice, but it doesn't make him free of criticism, it actually makes him look pretty bad. IMHO

I just disagree with this, simple as that. Would I have loved to see him sign his contract already, yes. Would even an indication of his plans been helpful, yes. But do I judge a person for doing exactly what they said they were going to do, not in the slightest. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I remember Drance discussing this before the season started. Pettersson is a smart guy he's not going to think just one regular season making the playoffs means the team is winning team. 

Which I kind of agree with. So far this season has turned out to be a very good one but it all comes down in how the team performs in the Playoffs. I'd imagine if the team gets bounced in the 1st round or even in the 2nd round after 5 games, I would imagine, despite the regular season, Petey would still feel the team isn't where we wants it to be. 

Guess what, no team has guarantees in the playoffs, so that is a total red herring argument. 

Few teams repeat Stanley Cups and different teams go far in different years.  The best you can do is be on a team that does well enough to get you there and has a decent shot.  The rest is luck, injuries, opposition, and just chaos.

The few teams that have been pretty consistently good over the past few years would also just not be able to fit a $12 million contract onto their roster without major surgery which could make them "un-good" and wouldn't make a ton of sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

What about Robert Thomas + for Petey?

Thomas is locked into a 8years @ just over 8 mill.

Right handed C and just over 51% in the draw

Robert Thomas and Dalibor Dvorsky?

Canucks would be lookin' pretty good at C

Miller

Thomas

Lindholm

Blueger

Suter

Raty

Dvorsky

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He said he didn't want to talk contract until the summer! There has been absolutely no mind games involved. None, zilch, nada. So far, until this point, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

The situation was layed out in plain sight on that faithful day, and now the Canucks are asking him to change his mind and come speak sooner. Please explain where the mind games are. I'm using your words in mind games, so it should be straight forward to explain how he's playing mind games.

I'm sorry, has he said he wants to stay in Vancouver? Or that he wants to re-sign?  All he has said is he wants to wait until the end of the season to negotiate.  In other words, don't call me, I'll call you, and maybe I'll go out with you again, maybe not.  Just wait for my call.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Robert Thomas and Dalibor Dvorsky?

Canucks would be lookin' pretty good at C

Miller

Thomas

Lindholm

Blueger

Suter

Raty

Dvorsky

Isn’t Thomas 220 pounds? Nice having a heavy body but is he an elite number one C? Blues would need to add a lot. 
IMHAO the most equitable return is Jack Hughes. 

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I just disagree with this, simple as that. Would I have loved to see him sign his contract already, yes. Would even an indication of his plans been helpful, yes. But do I judge a person for doing exactly what they said they were going to do, not in the slightest. 

Hypothetical.

You need a kidney transplant. Your buddy is a match and he says he will give you one of his kidneys next summer. He has some things he needs to sort out and cant get into major surgery just yet.

Halfway to next summer, your doctor says that things have escalated and you need a transplant asap or else you might die. You go to your buddy and say hey, new information has come to light and I really need that kidney now. You're totally fine if your buddy says "I told you I would do it next summer and I'm sticking to my word"? You wouldnt judge them for making a selfish decision now?

Hell no, you're going to give your buddy new information, and you're going to expect that because the new information does have a bearing on the original decision, you would expect them to make a different decision. In other words, you can 100% fault someone for not changing their mind when presented with new information that should impact the original decision.

You can disagree with me all you want, but you're probably doing so out of stubbornness rather than being rationale.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm sorry, has he said he wants to stay in Vancouver? Or that he wants to re-sign?  All he has said is he wants to wait until the end of the season to negotiate.  In other words, don't call me, I'll call you, and maybe I'll go out with you again, maybe not.  Just wait for my call.

Nice question dodge. None of that is mind games. It's still exactly what he said he was going to do. I'm sticking with mind games, because they are your words. You haven't given any logical examples of mind games yet.

Saying you're going to do something, and then doing it, is not mind games. If you can explain how he's playing mind games, I'm all ears. If you can't, we can move on.

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hypothetical.

You need a kidney transplant. Your buddy is a match and he says he will give you one of his kidneys next summer. He has some things he needs to sort out and cant get into major surgery just yet.

Halfway to next summer, your doctor says that things have escalated and you need a transplant asap or else you might die. You go to your buddy and say hey, new information has come to light and I really need that kidney now. You're totally fine if your buddy says "I told you I would do it next summer and I'm sticking to my word"? You wouldnt judge them for making a selfish decision now?

Hell no, you're going to give your buddy new information, and you're going to expect that because the new information does have a bearing on the original decision, you would expect them to make a different decision. In other words, you can 100% fault someone for not changing their mind when presented with new information that should impact the original decision.

You can disagree with me all you want, but you're probably doing so out of stubbornness rather than being rationale.

Being rationale? You just tried to equate a life and death situation to a game where grown men slap a price of rubber on ice.

If this was a life or death situation, yes you have to expedite a decision. This is a literal game and not life or death. 

What a strange way to spin this

conversation.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I think you trade anyone if someone backs in the truck. Hell, I'd trade Hughes if NJ called in an absolute grandfather offer.

But at this point, why would we trade Petey, UNLESS there is more to the situation we don't know? The team is first in the league, were leaning into a cup run, and Petey is holding tight and doing exactly what he said he was going to do and wait to talk contract. 

agreed, I'd rather Petey go on a playoff tear, but I can see JR/PA getting a bit agitated over the retooling process. We have other high quality players waiting to be signed while this goes on. 

And whats Petey waiting for? its a legit question. You can't really justify holding up the entire process for one dude, particularly if you can recover his performance - which is the big remaining question for me. 

Can we legitimately think we can replace Petey, either in aggregate or with one player? 

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually Gillis went on local radio with Scotty Rintoul before he was fired and commented on his plan. Torts expressed openly that our core was stale. Gillis got fired for wanting to rebuild. Those are the facts. Accept and bow 🙇 to the Empties. 

Gillis was brought in to win. He failed. He also failed to draft and develop so anything. He was too afraid to make changes to the core, held onto them too long and their value decreased as their level of play began to fall off and slow down with age. So no he is not the guy for a rebuild. Not to mention the dog shit traces he made that left us with more and more dead weight. Its a good reason they fired his ass. Benning was brought in with a well respected scouting background for a reason. Also how do you plan on rebuilding with a GM that has been outcasted by the league and no one would be willing to do business with him? Why else has Gillis never had another GM job? Maybe put the bottle down and see straight for once

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we're taking Petey at his word, which you should take everyone at their word unless proven in trustworthy, management already knew they would have to wait till this summer. Nothing has changed, absolutely nothing. Is it reasonable that management hoped that winning roster would sway Petey to talking earlier then his original stated intention. Sure. But if you got out on a first date and your honey say there's no chance it's ending with boots on the floor, and you get pissy when you go home and have to play a game of solitaire, that's on you. You knew what you were getting into and can't be upset, even though the date went so well you hoped things had changed.

You say it's a business, that goes both ways. It's far more logical for Petey to wait till the summer. It's fine if you want to pretend these guys are our friends and bleed blue, but they are not. They are professional athletes who pay millions of dollars to powerful agencies with the soul intention on squeezing every penny out of a contract. Business goes both ways.

What really pisses me off, is I reckon half the people bitching about Petey right now also bitch about the media making mountains out of molehills. Nothing has changed since the summer, all this discussion is clicks and likes. The media is only driving this because fans are blowing their top instead of stopping for a minutes and realising that Petey has done nothing expect keep his words he said in the summer.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Being rationale? You just tried to equate a life and death situation to a game where grown men slap a price of rubber on ice.

If this was a life or death situation, yes you have to expedite a decision. This is a literal game and not life or death. 

What a strange way to spin this

conversation.

Sorry, I thought we were doing hypotheticals because you had compared the contract signing to getting laid, which to some is practically life and death.

I just gave you another way to view the situation, to which you tried to deflect by making my post seem so outrageous that only in life or death could you accept that faulting someone for not changing their mind is acceptable. I'm sure though that you could think of many scenarios where the same logic applies, including Petey's contract situation. 

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Sorry, I thought we were doing hypotheticals because you had compared the contract signing to getting laid, which to some is practically life and death.

I just gave you another way to view the situation, to which you tried to deflect by making my post seem so outrageous that only in life or death could you accept that faulting someone for not changing their mind is acceptable. I'm sure though that you could think of many scenarios where the same logic applies, including Petey's contract situation. 

Yes... Life or death is the same as dating. Glad we have established a baseline here... 

When did I defect? I answered your question, even though I felt it was silly.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

agreed, I'd rather Petey go on a playoff tear, but I can see JR/PA getting a bit agitated over the retooling process. We have other high quality players waiting to be signed while this goes on. 

And whats Petey waiting for? its a legit question. You can't really justify holding up the entire process for one dude, particularly if you can recover his performance - which is the big remaining question for me. 

Can we legitimately think we can replace Petey, either in aggregate or with one player? 

Maybe Allvin thinks he can sign Jake Guenzel and Lindholm if Petey walks.

• MillerTime 2

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Benning says what?

Lol we dumped deadweight for a top 4 D and currently a very important player who has contributed a ton to the success of this season. You crying about Garland right now? Didnt think so. Take him off the roster and this team loses 10 games easily, as his line has contributed solely to roughly that many wins where our top 6 didnt produce. Be thankful for that trade. 
OEL looks great in FLA, a top team in the league, hes producing well and not a liability.

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Hughes

Demko

Myers

Juulsen

Garland

Hoglander

are all having excellent seasons and without any 2 of these players, this team is a WC team.

Myers has one of the best defensive stats as a top 4 dman in the league, Garland has the best possession numhers, Juulsen has stepped up and been a very reliable player. Compared to what PA added… a injury prone Soucy, deadweight Mikheyev, a cap dump dud in Kuzmenko and a somewhat underperforming Lindolm. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1