[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yeah I think your entirely wrong. Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract. Where exactly are the "mind games" that he has indeed not talked contract. I'd love for this to make sense to me, because that statement seems absurd to me right now.

That's a fair question:  Where exactly are the "mind games"?  Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract.

For it to make sense, to me anyway, I would consider that the "Mind Games" started last summer.

I  like the analogy (by HKSR) of Petey not negotiating until next summer  with  girls that play mind games not telling you whether or not they want to keep seeing you.

• Cheers 1

Someone texted in to Canucks Central or Canucks Talk yesterday about Petey holding up other UFAs from being able to talk contract with the Canucks. I thought this was a great point that isn't discussed enough. Petey is the domino, so it would explain why management is ostensibly very frustrated right now, as it's holding up a lot right now for a very important season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Lol we dumped deadweight for a top 4 D and currently a very important player who has contributed a ton to the success of this season. You crying about Garland right now? Didnt think so. Take him off the roster and this team loses 10 games easily, as his line has contributed solely to roughly that many wins where our top 6 didnt produce. Be thankful for that trade. 
OEL looks great in FLA, a top team in the league, hes producing well and not a liability.

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Hughes

Demko

Myers

Juulsen

Garland

are all having excellent seasons and without any 2 of these players, this team is a WC team.

Myers has one of the best defensive stats as a top 4 dman in the league, Garland has the best possession numhers, Juulsen has stepped up and been a very reliable player. Compared to what PA added… a injury prone Soucy, deadweight Mikheyev, a cap dump dud in Kuzmenko and a somewhat underperforming Lindolm. 

I'm not crying about anything 

1 minute ago, Artemus said:

That's a fair question:  Where exactly are the "mind games"?  Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract.

For it to make sense, to me anyway, I would consider that the "Mind Games" started last summer.

I  like the analogy (by HKSR) of Petey not negotiating until next summer  with  girls that play mind games not telling you whether or not they want to keep seeing you.

How though. How is that mind games? No one has been able to answer this question in the slightest.

Petey said he wanted to focus on hockey and wait till the summer. Petey is focusing on hockey and top 10 in the league in scoring. Petey keep his word to this point and wants to wait till summer. This seems all straight forward, and I have no idea how people are thinking this is him playing games with the team. I'm litterally asking for anyone to explain the thought process.

If you do what you said you're going to do, in my eyes, you aren't playing mind games. But I'm open to be convinced other wise, but the only attempt so far has attempted to equate hockey to a life or death situation, which personally has made me think this is even sillier then I thought it was originally.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

All this recent talk feels like another churn in the media cycle. All the sudden, every outlet is drumming up contract talks but there's actually no new information - other than that 12x8 offer rumour that's already been debunked.

I guess you can only talk about the Leafs for so long. Petey's contract was the next best thing.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yes... Life or death is the same as dating. Glad we have established a baseline here... 

When did I defect? I answered your question, even though I felt it was silly.

Well, I gave you new information that should have helped you rethink your position and you aren't able to do so. I suppose it makes sense that you still see no issue with Petey keeping his word despite him having new information that should logically force him to rethink his position.

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Well, I gave you new information that should have helped you rethink your position and you aren't able to do so. I suppose it makes sense that you still see no issue with Petey keeping his word despite him having new information that should logically force him to rethink his position.

They do say hockey is life in Canada after all. Just hadn't met anyone who took that litterally until now.

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

Man this thread is cooking 

isn't it?

Probably only to get worse as the TDL approaches and the rumor mill continues to swirl. Some of it rumor, some of it accurate reasonable speculation.

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

Something just seems off re the whole situation, lots of rumors re Petey out there if you happen to know people in the same age demographic who happen to know him.

And the rumours are? 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

How though. How is that mind games? No one has been able to answer this question in the slightest.

Petey said he wanted to focus on hockey and wait till the summer. Petey is focusing on hockey and top 10 in the league in scoring. Petey keep his word to this point and wants to wait till summer. This seems all straight forward, and I have no idea how people are thinking this is him playing games with the team. I'm litterally asking for anyone to explain the thought process.

If you do what you said you're going to do, in my eyes, you aren't playing mind games. But I'm open to be convinced other wise, but the only attempt so far has attempted to equate hockey to a life or death situation, which personally has made me think this is even sillier then I thought it was originally.

Sticking to your word / doing what you said isn’t necessarily a bad thing in of itself, but it doesn’t mean it was or is the right thing / right approach in this situation & the big picture. It def has a trickle down effect on a few things & ironically affects how they put together a winning team (something he wants) short term & long term. There is really no reason to wait…he is going to get paid well regardless, the team is winning (top of the league) & clearly headed in the right direction with this management, coach & a lot of the players we have. And, to keep some of those players & keep on this path, they need to know what he’s doing, so it’s actually effecting the “something” he wants from this team. 

• Upvote 1

It's very clear to me that EP wants to burn up his RFA status so he has total control, he wanted to go to UFA and get the best offer from all teams interested and it will be bad news on investment return, so we need to trade him ASAP to get the best return, there is no sense going into next season with him if that were the case.

Edited by sxqhfeh
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's been explained to you. Yes I used an exaggerated metaphor, but the logic was meant to help you understand how sticking to your word can make you look bad, or be selfish, or be inconsiderate, if new information comes to light.

Like I said, it seems more like you're just being stubborn rather than actually considering new information and changing your mind... wait a minute... hmmmm...uh oh, I believe you have put yourself into an endless vortex. If you change your mind based on new information, then you will have to accept that Petey should/could change his mind.... but because you cant admit that scenario, you're stuck in the vortex. 

"I wont change my mind, so Petey doesnt change his mind, which makes me not change my mind which means Petey cant change his mind"

Just now, 88Canuck said:

Sticking to your word / doing what you said isn’t necessarily a bad thing in of itself, but it doesn’t mean it was or is the right thing / right approach in this situation & the big picture. It def has a trickle down effect on a few things & ironically affects how they put together a winning team (something he wants) short term & long term. There is really no reason to wait…he is going to get paid well regardless, the team is winning (top of the league) & clearly headed in the right direction with this management, coach & a lot of the players we have. And, to keep some of those players & keep on this path, they need to know what he’s doing, so it’s actually effecting the “something” he wants from this team. 

I don't agree there is no reason. For Petey it could hypothetically be a few different reasons, or a combo. Last time he has to negotiate mid season/pre season it effected his game mightly. So from a mental stand point there could be a reason why he decided to wait till summer. Financially, it could be very beneficial for him to wait. Even an extra 500k a year, ends up being 4 million dollars. More money then the majority of us will ever accumulate in our life, that's a pretty fair reason. It's also possible Petey just doesn't know yet, that's a reason.

I wish Petey signed, I'd love to have him locked up. But I'm not upset he's doing exactly what he said he would do. I'm disappointed because I want our team to succeed desperately, but I'm not going to fault a person for sticking to their guns about a business and life decisions. If the Canucks announce the organization has kidney failure and is going to die without Petey signing, I'll reevaluate my take.

Just now, JayDangles said:

It's been explained to you. Yes I used an exaggerated metaphor, but the logic was meant to help you understand how sticking to your word can make you look bad, or be selfish, or be inconsiderate, if new information comes to light.

Like I said, it seems more like you're just being stubborn rather than actually considering new information and changing your mind... wait a minute... hmmmm...uh oh, I believe you have put yourself into an endless vortex. If you change your mind based on new information, then you will have to accept that Petey should/could change his mind.... but because you cant admit that scenario, you're stuck in the vortex. 

"I wont change my mind, so Petey doesnt change his mind, which makes me not change my mind which means Petey cant change his mind"

I feel your example was dumb. Me not changing my mind based off, what I feel, was a dumb example doesn't make me stubborn. Get over yourself. Your word isn't law, and just because you make a massively hyperbolic statement and someone doesn't bow to you doesn't make them stubborn.

1 hour ago, van_can_fan said:

Wha are you doing on this thread? Just here to complain that people want to discuss the topic of the thread you clicked on?

I am a life long Canucks fan who has been on this and the old CDC forum since 2009. What am I doing on this thread ? taking part and chiming in like the rest of you.

Did I say I was complaining ? nope, I was chuckling that someone " more dialed in " is hearing how frustrated the Canucks are that Pettersson is not negotiating at current. Would they rather he work out a deal it sounds like it, since management said so themselves they are happy to negotiate when the player is ready.

My point is and wasn't to mock all the interest or disrespect anyone chiming in, but there literally is nothing to report. If we take a step back and pay attention to the local media, to Friedman and others outside Vancouver you see nothing actually of substance except for what we already know. But they keep going round and round so now it is portrayed as a " fluid situation " that is being dragged out or not coming to a resolution fast enough. Bingo! now the same media types can use this framework they just made out to look long and drawn out and up the ante by suggesting one side is growing frustrated and one side maybe is insincere about their intentions because hey otherwise the player would have just signed already right ?

It is a little funny to see how this thing explodes, they always do. It never seems to work out as maybe the player suggests when they say they won't discuss anything until after the season so as not to be a DISTRACTION as it almost always goes that way.

And how I explained things above you see the fans now question if Petey wants to be in Vancouver, if he is worth what we think he wants, we are questioning why he would maybe want a shorter or longer term deal and frankly there is a lot of questioning of his play as a hockey player, his character and intent. When really thats super cool and fine but there has been nothing to factually report at this time leading anyone to believe these things other than wonder and the conjecture and this story built by the media types thus far and many fans are eating it up.

I mean, the Canucks are not suddenly growing frustrated, why would they ? look at what Rutherford said earlier about Pettersson: “We can wait. I’ll say the obvious, we keep saying it over and over — we really want him to stay. He’s a very special player. He’s very important to the Canucks, he’s very important to the city,” Rutherford told reporters. “He can’t walk at the end of the season, and that the position we’ve taken. We’ve taken that position very comfortably, so there’s not anybody getting anxious here.”

So as much as we discuss and debate and follow what is being said in the media, I think we could stand to be a little more patient on this topic as there has been no reason to think this won't be resolved come the offseason which I hope is as far away as possible.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

On a scale of one to ten how much are we panicking today? 

About Petey? 3/10. Exactly the same as I would have answered if you asked in September.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Thanks 1