[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

That's a fair question:  Where exactly are the "mind games"?  Petey said full stop in the summer he didn't want to talk contract.

For it to make sense, to me anyway, I would consider that the "Mind Games" started last summer.

I  like the analogy (by HKSR) of Petey not negotiating until next summer  with  girls that play mind games not telling you whether or not they want to keep seeing you.

In that situation you date other women.

Management should be signing the RFA's and UFA's they want to keep like Joshua, Hronek, Myers, Zaderov, so Petey sees the money all being spent on everyone else

Edited by VintageActualCanuckfan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

When was the last time a team traded away one of their star players at the deadline when they were at or near the top of the league standings and clearly going for a cup? That would be an incredibly bold move.

Yes, it would be an incredibly bold move to trade him at this year's TDL but it would also maximize the return.

Doubt that it happen as we are in first place and looking to do well in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

There's not much, short of hurting another person, that I wouldn't do for 4 million bucks. I simply can't fault a young man for going for the bank, even if it's frustrating.

Fair, but you most likely don’t have / won’t have the money he’ll have over his career…everyone’s needs / wants will be different. Most people are a product of their environment and your / most people’s need for 4 million dollars is far different that a pro athlete’s need for 4 million dollars when they’ll end up making hundreds of millions of dollars. 

A big assumption that a lot of you are making is that our winning season someone constitutes “new information”.

Yes it’s new that we’re good now after we sucked last year. Petey said he wanted to be on a winner and would love to be like Messi and bring the championship to Vancouver. He did not say “if we start winning in Vancouver I could change my mind.” He said hey - let’s have a great year and focus on hockey then circle back in the summer.

For all we know could have said “whether we win the presidents trophy or are lottery contenders - I’m going to focus on only hockey.” In this scenario, nothing has changed. The point is - assumptions are turning this into a circus.

Yes, his deal could be holding some other things back. But that’s the business and that’s the right Petey has earned. I don’t think any of his teammates, who are also professionals and trying to secure their bag, would fault him for this.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 88Canuck said:

Fair, but you most likely don’t have / won’t have the money he’ll have over his career…everyone’s needs / wants will be different. Most people are a product of their environment and your / most people’s need for 4 million dollars is far different that a pro athlete’s need for 4 million dollars when they’ll end up making hundreds of millions of dollars. 

Ok, fair, but let's rap then. I know this isn't a great example, but it's the best I got.

So Petey is going to make 100 million and the amount in questions is 4 million.

Say I make 100 thousand so the amount in question is 4 grand.

Would I annoy my current employer and piss off my coworker short term for 4 grand. Definitely, that 4 grand gets me and my wife a heat pump.

Yes the amount is different, it's apples and oranges. But I can't judge how wealthy people look at money, but from far as I can tell it's exactly the same as how I do. Life's hard and people want theirs.

I simply can't fault a person for prioritizing themselves and their family. I sure as hell would.

1 minute ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

In that situation you date other women.

Management should be signing the RFA's and UFA's they want to keep like Joshua, Hronek, Myers, Zaderov, so Petey sees the money all being spent on everyone else

That could be one approach.

We then hope that Petey accepts the leftover money.

If he doesn't the Canucks could be in one helluva bad situation.

24 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You’re right, we dont have to. but bringing up Benning out of nowhere??? And comparing an actual cap dump to acquire a D and a winger compared to blowing the value on Kuzmenko and trading a plethora of picks and prospects to get 1 aging pending UFA 30 year old soon to be declining 2C…..?? nowhere even remotely close to comparable. One guy moved bottom 6 guys out with picks, the other moved a top 6 after losing all his value and a ton of picks and prospects to get a guy heading downhill. Facts are that Lindholm trade hurts us soooooo much more than the OEL and Garland deal.

okie dokie. 

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Ok, fair, but let's rap then. I know this isn't a great example, but it's the best I got.

Would I annoy my current employer and piss off my coworker short term for 4 grand. Definitely, that 4 grand gets me and my wife a heat pump.

Yes the amount is different, it's apples and oranges. But I can't judge how wealthy people look at money, but from far as I can tell it's exactly the same as how I do. Life's hard and people want theirs.

I simply can't fault a person for prioritizing themselves and their family. I sure as hell would.

That’s a very fair point! I get that. Everyone looks at money differently for sure. 

Maybe this makes more sense…I just feel like maybe he’s stepping on his own foot / standing in the way of his own goals (things he’s stated he wanted). And those said goals are a by product of a team (good team) and not an individual. While there’s individual elements of the game of hockey, it’s always comes down to being a team sport at the end of the day and those individual elements effect that (play a role). 

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

We can infer something like 12x8 has been offered . Even if it was just verbal

I'd be surprised if Allvin and Petey's agent didn't already basically agree on the total amount, somewhere in the 90-100 mil range on the full 8 year term. Specifics would be dealt with later, on how much bonus, etc. Also the willingness to do a massive deal with Petey would certainly be well established. 

So Petey knows he's sitting on a huge payday. For me, I'd sign that mo-fo yesterday, but I'm just some schmo. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

That’s a very fair point! I get that. Everyone looks at money differently for sure. 

Maybe this makes more sense…I just feel like maybe he’s stepping on his own foot / standing in the way of his own goals (things he’s stated he wanted). And those said goals are a by product of a team (good team) and not an individual. While there’s individual elements of the game of hockey, it’s always comes down to being a team sport at the end of the day and those individual elements effect that (play a role). 

Now this, this is something I entirely agree with the concept of. Man, I'd love if we had a bunch of star players who limited themselves to smaller contracts to help the team. Put their team first, try to make a dynasty. But, in the real world I don't expect players to do that. I expect every player to look after themselves first, and the team second. Maybe I'm bitter, it's just the way I feel.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Now this, this is something I entirely agree with the concept of. Man, I'd love if we had a bunch of star players who limited themselves to smaller contracts to help the team. Put their team first, try to make a dynasty. But, in the real world I don't expect players to do that. I expect every player to look after themselves first, and the team second. Maybe I'm bitter, it's just the way I feel.

For sure! I thinks there’s multiple smaller things that effect / play a role in the biggest thing(s)…winning (regularly) and winning the cup. Ultimately, those top the list. All players should def consider the biggest thing (big picture) when dealing with all the various smaller things. They’re all intertwined. Minus the very rare exception, pretty much every players dream (ultimate goal) from when they were a kid to now is wining the cup at the end of the day. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I think it's personal preference, not generic "how wealthy people look at money". As an example, my business partner and I would drop $4k discount on a $100k invoice if the client said they would pay it now rather than in 30 days without blinking an eye. Our way of thinking is that if it's easy to work with us, the clients will give us more business in the long term, so those $4k is easily recovered in no time. Yet, I know of other business people in my industry, the companies of similar size, who would not do that. And more often than not, these people have to work extra hard to get new business.

Same with pro athletes - some people will want to just get deal done and look at a big picture and some will try to get every last penny possible.

11 minutes ago, TopCheese said:

He could also devalue himself beeibg invisible in the playoffs and getting bullied by opposing teams 

High risk high reward. But Petey looked just fine the first time in the playoffs, and has only become more physically mature since then. Every indications from this dude is he has a hyper confidence in himself and would bet on himself every time. Infact, he is currently doing so.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

3 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I think it's personal preference, not generic "how wealthy people look at money". As an example, my business partner and I would drop $4k discount on a $100k invoice if the client said they would pay it now rather than in 30 days without blinking an eye. Our way of thinking is that if it's easy to work with us, the clients will give us more business in the long term, so those $4k is easily recovered in no time. Yet, I know of other business people in my industry, the companies of similar size, who would not do that. And more often than not, these people have to work extra hard to get new business.

Same with pro athletes - some people will want to just get deal done and look at a big picture and some will try to get every last penny possible.

Yeah this is totally fair. I talk big, but I'm actually a big softy in real life. If a patient no shows me, I rarely charge a no show fee and often waive it. 

I guess I just don't expect people to all value money the same way. So if someone charges the no show fee everytime, I don't think less of them. If anything, I wish I could... My bank account would thank me.

I just don't blame people for looking out for number 1, I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The point was THIS management group and coaching staff knew there were issues, yet the management group held onto a guy no one had a book on other than his 39 goals. Coulda landed a huge return, yet they fucked that up huge. I said after game 1 of watching him, his skating was an instant concern and preached it alllll season. Everyone here ignored it and watched the puck not the play and just drooled over his 39g. Just wasted a huge trade piece that coulda returned serious pieces on his own. Instead we had to package him up with multiple picks AND prospects for a 30 year old pending UFA heading towards his declining years that leaves us either investing cap in his declining years or let him walk and have alllll that shit given away for nothing.

How can you be sure that the Canucks weren't trying to move Kuzy before Calgary stepped up.  I

would think that if the team were noticing his limitations, so were their rivals. 

It's hard to say that if they could have 'landed a huge return' is a sure thing.  So many Russian players

have passed through the NHL with great offensive skills, but limited defence.  They don't bother

much about defensive games; it's all about scoring.

In the end, the Nucks picked Kuzy up for free and got the player they wanted in the trade.  I

don't think they're worried about the picks and prospects that have years of development

ahead of them; most likely never getting a sniff at the NHL.  If Lindy helps extend their

playoff games, it's a win for them.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

How can you be sure that the Canucks weren't trying to move Kuzy before Calgary stepped up.  I

would think that if the team were noticing his limitations, so were their rivals. 

It's hard to say that if they could have 'landed a huge return' is a sure thing.  So many Russian players

have passed through the NHL with great offensive skills, but limited defence.  They don't bother

much about defensive games; it's all about scoring.

In the end, the Nucks picked Kuzy up for free and got the player they wanted in the trade.  I

don't think they're worried about the picks and prospects that have years of development

ahead of them; most likely never getting a sniff at the NHL.  If Lindy helps extend their

playoff games, it's a win for them.

Last year, zero rumours at all about Kuzmenko and they talked somewhat highly of him and gave no indication of trading him. There was zero speculation as well as to considering him as a possible TDL target as Vancouver was pretty hopelessly out of a playoff spot. This year the rumours couldnt be silenced. Its pretty evident they saw him as a Canuck and not a trade chip to add picks and prospects or even a 1 for 1 roster swap with a team who may have needed more scoring in exchange for a dman.

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Trade EP for Brady Tkachuk, give or take. Extend Lindholm to be the second line center, JT is first line center. Are we better or worse?

Sens don't need Pettersson at all, in fact they have a surplus of talented centers

Stutzle and Norris are signed long-term, Pinto has 13 points in 15 games

Offense is not where the Sens need help, trading Brady makes zero sense for them

• Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Trade EP for Brady Tkachuk, give or take. Extend Lindholm to be the second line center, JT is first line center. Are we better or worse?

0% chance Petey traded this year before TDL, we are in 1st in the NHL and moves were made to bring guys in for this year playoff run, it's simply not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

When was the last time a team traded away one of their star players at the deadline when they were at or near the top of the league standings and clearly going for a cup? That would be an incredibly bold move.

That would be forced move.You have to protect interest of your club.Problem is ,with time passing,if contract is not signed,value going down the drain.

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Last year, zero rumours at all about Kuzmenko and they talked somewhat highly of him and gave no indication of trading him. There was zero speculation as well as to considering him as a possible TDL target as Vancouver was pretty hopelessly out of a playoff spot. This year the rumours couldnt be silenced. Its pretty evident they saw him as a Canuck and not a trade chip to add picks and prospects or even a 1 for 1 roster swap with a team who may have needed more scoring in exchange for a dman.

Everyone loved Kuzy in his first year, but even Bruce benched him and I wonder if Tocc thought that

highly of his game.  When Tocc took over this year, it was clear that he wanted to see changes in

Kuzy's lack of defence and pushed him to do so.  Tocc gave him a lot of opportunities, but the change

was just not forthwith. The decision was to let him go.

As fans we are not privy to the complete picture behind the scene; our view is more linear.  We

can press our opinions as much as we like, but I am doubtful that we have all the facts.

Anyways, I hate to interrupt the fans degrading Petey page, so I'll agree to disagree with you this

time and call it a day.

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sens don't need Pettersson at all, in fact they have a surplus of talented centers

Stutzle and Norris are signed long-term, Pinto has 13 points in 15 games

Offense is not where the Sens need help, trading Brady makes zero sense for them

fortunately, Petey isn't just an offensive weapon.

He is a 200 foot Selke candidate, or was, just a short while ago. 🙂

This 'storm' could be seen, off in the distance, but coming ever closer, for weeks/months

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be surprised if Allvin and Petey's agent didn't already basically agree on the total amount, somewhere in the 90-100 mil range on the full 8 year term. Specifics would be dealt with later, on how much bonus, etc. Also the willingness to do a massive deal with Petey would certainly be well established. 

So Petey knows he's sitting on a huge payday. For me, I'd sign that mo-fo yesterday, but I'm just some schmo. 

Most do sign that mofo yesterday. His grand kids won't have to work a day in their lives. At least not a job they didn't like. 

Petey is playing a dangerous game. Who knows what can happen..but we do know , the NHL has guaranteed contracts. So it's a good idea to just sign them. 

• ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1