[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sens don't need Pettersson at all, in fact they have a surplus of talented centers

Stutzle and Norris are signed long-term, Pinto has 13 points in 15 games

Offense is not where the Sens need help, trading Brady makes zero sense for them

Someone suggested Anaheim, which makes sense to me. Carlsson and Petey would make a heck of a 1-2 C threat. 

Something around Petey for McTavish could be compelling.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Someone suggested Anaheim, which makes sense to me. Carlsson and Petey would make a heck of a 1-2 C threat. 

I'm by no means as knowledgeable as many on these boards, but I'm assuming you mean Petey for McTavish++? I know he's a 3rd overall pick, but is he that well rounded already?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Regarding Anaheim, the thing that immediately jumps out is why would Pettersson sign with a rebuilding Ducks team if he wants to win?

Pettersson will get paid wherever he goes, that's not a question, he will. Anaheim offers money and that chance to be relatively anonymous, but it'd take more than Pettersson to turn that Ducks team into a playoff team, let alone a contender.

The caveat to any Pettersson trade is that he has to be willing to sign there or the deal is dead before negotiations even begin. The Canucks have limited trade power because of this, they'd have to deal with a team Pettersson would commit long-term to.

There'd likely be no shortage of interest in Pettersson if he were available, but one could probably cut the list of potential landing spots down pretty quickly.

More than likely Pettersson wants to get paid to play with a competitive group, that ain't Anaheim and probably won't be til their youth develop more. Anaheim will go as far as their youngsters can take them, and I like Anaheim's youth and prospect pool.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Dannyboy88 said:

I'm by no means as knowledgeable as many on these boards, but I'm assuming you mean Petey for McTavish++? I know he's a 3rd overall pick, but is he that well rounded already?

yeah I'm not sure about the additional pieces, just the principle ones being Petey and McTavish, who seems to me to be a very Tocc type addition. 

But if it was 1:1, you could certainly do worse value-wise. 

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Regarding Anaheim, the thing that immediately jumps out is why would Pettersson sign with a rebuilding Ducks team if he wants to win?

I think so, they would be just at the start of a long window if all goes well. I could see him very much wanting a guy like Carlsson (who likely thinks about the game the way Petey does) on his team. 

Pettersson will get paid wherever he goes, that's not a question, he will. Anaheim offers money and that chance to be relatively anonymous, but it'd take more than Pettersson to turn that Ducks team into a playoff team, let alone a contender.

The caveat to any Pettersson trade is that he has to be willing to sign there or the deal is dead before negotiations even begin. The Canucks have limited trade power because of this, they'd have to deal with a team Pettersson would commit long-term to.

There'd likely be no shortage of interest in Pettersson if he were available, but one could probably cut the list of potential landing spots down pretty quickly.

More than likely Pettersson wants to get paid to play with a competitive group, that ain't Anaheim and probably won't be til their youth develop more. Anaheim will go as far as their youngsters can take them, and I like Anaheim's youth and prospect pool.

Not that many teams can, or will want to, pay Petey 12 mil. ANA can and should be one of them. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think so, they would be just at the start of a long window if all goes well. I could see him very much wanting a guy like Carlsson (who likely thinks about the game the way Petey does) on his team. 

Not that many teams can, or will want to, pay Petey 12 mil. ANA can and should be one of them. 

I just don't see it, Anaheim would be better off being patient too imo

I think plenty of teams could pay Pettersson, in fact I think there's a stronger chance the Canucks would be taking a sizeable amount of cap back (in the form of positive value player/players) to facilitate a Pettersson trade 

I see Pettersson as wanting to get paid on a playoff team, more than likely he does that here imo 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Guess what, no team has guarantees in the playoffs, so that is a total red herring argument. 

Few teams repeat Stanley Cups and different teams go far in different years.  The best you can do is be on a team that does well enough to get you there and has a decent shot.  The rest is luck, injuries, opposition, and just chaos.

The few teams that have been pretty consistently good over the past few years would also just not be able to fit a $12 million contract onto their roster without major surgery which could make them "un-good" and wouldn't make a ton of sense.

I guess in terms of playoffs we can use maybe the Devils in the 2017-2018 season. They made the playoffs but I don't think anyone can say this was a step forward to being a better and winning team. 

I guess for Petey is playoffs do factor and if the Canucks are eliminated it's not about that they got eliminated but how. If it was a blood competitive series in Round 2. Then that may be a winning team in Petey's eyes. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's a fair point, if it is about the money and term as a concern

Which top contenders can afford him while still being a contender?

JR/PA may just make the decision for him, if he hasn't given them any inclination of this is where he wants to be , with needing to plan the future of this team and be competitive next year

• ThereItIs 1

I just don't see it, Anaheim would be better off being patient too imo

I think plenty of teams could pay Pettersson, in fact I think there's a stronger chance the Canucks would be taking a sizeable amount of cap back (in the form of positive value player/players) to facilitate a Pettersson trade 

I see Pettersson as wanting to get paid on a playoff team, more than likely he does that here imo 

sure, but who has the money for that? the list of contenders that also have 12 mil in cap, and need a 1C isn't that long. 

I'm not sure why the fan base is panicking all of a sudden.

Last off season, Petey said he wants to wait til the end of this season to work out a deal. No one seemed to panic when he said that then. Nothing has changed and now everyone's panicking.

JR and PA have cool heads. They will look to extend Petey as soon as he is ready. If that is not workable in the off season, they will trade him.

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I guess in terms of playoffs we can use maybe the Devils in the 2017-2018 season. They made the playoffs but I don't think anyone can say this was a step forward to being a better and winning team. 

I guess for Petey is playoffs do factor and if the Canucks are eliminated it's not about that they got eliminated but how. If it was a blood competitive series in Round 2. Then that may be a winning team in Petey's eyes. 

My guess would be if the Canucks didn't do well in the playoffs, is that EP was partly to blame, you need your best players to be your best players, and our best have been fairly consistent, So in Petey's eyes what would he do about it?= Take less and say I can't rise above it? 😉

I'd expect that if Petey is traded, this season, there will be a cap heavy player, on an expiring contract  coming back.

Some other teams equivalent of Tyler Meyers or the like.

Gets the trade done for this year, plus an entire off, and next  season,  to get the new team compliant for the year after.

Edited by Gurn

4 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

That's a fair point, if it is about the money and term as a concern

Which top contenders can afford him while still being a contender?

just to be clear, my preference is for Petey to stay here. BUT if thats not going to be possible, then PA has to do something.

Looking at contender cap space next year:

Tampa - 10 mil

Colorado - 3 mil

Vegas - 13 mil

LA - 22, but with a bunch of high power RFAs

Boston - 26

Dallas - 17

Carolina - 31

Florida - 28

So the options are limited for sure. Is Boston, Carolina or Florida where he thinks he's got a better chance than here? 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I'm not sure why the fan base is panicking all of a sudden.

Last off season, Petey said he wants to wait til the end of this season to work out a deal. No one seemed to panic when he said that then. Nothing has changed and now everyone's panicking.

JR and PA have cool heads. They will look to extend Petey as soon as he is ready. If that is not workable in the off season, they will trade him.

It changed that the Canucks made some moves, and that the trade deadline is approaching and confusing how they want to proceed with taking a player on to make this team even stronger for the playoffs, with a key person future unsettled and lead the league and have to plan for a future with or without him

This management likes to strike early and not be into bidding wars or miss out on replacements because he doesn't want to be here longer

I think this is why it's been reported that JR finds him not signing confusing and the Canucks are getting frustrated

If they can't even get an answer (never mind a signed contract) if he wants to stay or not that would be frustrating, they have already announced they want to sign and keep him, he has never stated he wants to stay and work out a contract which adds to their frustration I am sure

Edited by Ballisticsports

14 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

My guess would be if the Canucks didn't do well in the playoffs, is that EP was partly to blame, you need your best players to be your best players, and our best have been fairly consistent, So in Petey's eyes what would he do about it?= Take less and say I can't rise above it? 😉

It depends on if he can say that he is used as a screen as I said many years now…  Change place with him and Miller and Petey get at least 20p more per season.

To me, there aren't many teams that can be competitive now AND have lots of cap space next season (unless it's a trade situation for players adding up to around 12m).

If Pettersson wants to win now AND make around 12m, and the Canucks are one of the few teams that appear able to offer both (at least the way things look now), that should in principle give them some bargaining power.

But at the end of the day, the question it comes down to is whether a player unable to drive play with any sort of consistency will be good value at around 12m.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just to be clear, my preference is for Petey to stay here. BUT if thats not going to be possible, then PA has to do something.

Looking at contender cap space next year:

Tampa - 10 mil

Colorado - 3 mil

Vegas - 13 mil

LA - 22, but with a bunch of high power RFAs

Boston - 26

Dallas - 17

Carolina - 31

Florida - 28

So the options are limited for sure. Is Boston, Carolina or Florida where he thinks he's got a better chance than here? 

Florida prolly is very intriguing.. since he can take quite a bit less and still make more than here and they just came off a finals run and almost top of the conference/league again.. boston here would play with pastrnak and that would be a nasty duo and with the goaltending they got they have just as good if not better chance by adding ep. Carolina is questionable he would replace staal but they need goaltending and if they get that I think they are there but Carolina model is they prolly won’t go for the high end star powers. Tampa ep to replace stamkos would keep their windows open for sure. 

• MillerTime 1

Funny enough, this just showed up on my feed. Seems others are discussing this as well. 

I’d rather him stay. But I wish he had signed so management can get on with signing the rest of the team as well…

4B96B9CC-9975-4D51-953E-AB287DC26047.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yeah I'm not sure about the additional pieces, just the principle ones being Petey and McTavish, who seems to me to be a very Tocc type addition. 

But if it was 1:1, you could certainly do worse value-wise. 

If we’re talking Tocc type players and people doesn’t think Petey is that you can shop out Lekkerimäki and Willander also because they are also players, not crashers.

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Florida prolly is very intriguing.. since he can take quite a bit less and still make more than here and they just came off a finals run and almost top of the conference/league again.. boston here would play with pastrnak and that would be a nasty duo and with the goaltending they got they have just as good if not better chance by adding ep. Carolina is questionable he would replace staal but they need goaltending and if they get that I think they are there but Carolina model is they prolly won’t go for the high end star powers. Tampa ep to replace stamkos would keep their windows open for sure. 

Yep I'd say right now it would be Boston or Florida. But that's if he's traded this year, who knows what their cap is a season from now.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He wouldn't be doing a Messi in Anahiem. They already have a cup. Nobody would give a fuck. Petey says a lot of things.

3 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

If we’re talking Tocc type players and people doesn’t think Petey is that you can shop out Lekkerimäki and Willander also because they are also players, not crashers.

That would be a big mistake, those kids look to be money in the bank.

I like Petey a lot and hope he stays. I don't understand his reluctance.

• Upvote 1