[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

The problem with any trade possibilities is that contending teams either wouldn't trade players we would want or have cap.space .... And if he doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team it further limits options 

I still hope he signs here and given how his last contract hold out / moves went it's not 100% that he doesn't want to be here 

The bigger issue is the team is being handcuffed to whom.they can add at the deadline to rentals only unless we.sort out what our cap will be next year 

I'm hoping the canucks know his answer and are just keeping it under wraps till the deadline 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Lot of weirdos on here that can’t take feared rejection well it seems. 😂

More like I don't really care if he re signs or not. I would not minding getting a haul for him as he plays weak (falls down constantly). But yes, he does put up the points and has great mitts.

You sure got your back up with a simple joke. Maybe don't take things on the interweb so seriously.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure, but who has the money for that? the list of contenders that also have 12 mil in cap, and need a 1C isn't that long. 

It doesn't have to be 12M available though, more than likely we'd be taking cap back.

Let's take a look.

I could see Nashville being interested, O'Reilly is their 1C and he ain't getting any younger. Hard to say which direction Trotz wants to take the Preds. I don't view them as a likely trade partner, but you never know.

Potentially Buffalo, but we'd likely be taking one of Mittlestadt or Cozens+ back. They could fit him, Thompson being on such a palatable deal helps them. But I don't see it as being a likely thing.

Columbus could certainly use him, but I don't see Pettersson having any interest in the mess that's been Columbus.

Potentially Carolina? Pettersson and Aho would be a nice 1-2 punch. We'd likely be asking for Svechnikov+ though. 

Winnipeg could use Pettersson, I don't see a Monahan extension as a sure thing and Schiefele will be 31 in March. Doubt Pettersson has any interest in Winnipeg though.

Pettersson and Barkov would also be a nice 1-2 punch, he'd likely cost him less due to taxes. Hard to say what Florida does, them keeping all of their current crew seems like a stretch, they're a wildcard. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

Seattle has Beniers, Wennburg is a pending UFA. Walking away from both Eberle and Wennburg would pay for most of Pettersson. We'd be asking for Beneirs or Wright+, but maybe they'd go for it to get a 1C. 

Maybe Dallas? Someone to go with Hintz? Benn's deal will be up after next season, Pavelski won't play forever. Duchene is having a great year but he's 33 and isn't a long-term option up front. Maybe something around Robertson? Harley and Johnston are appealing pieces. 

Boston has Coyle and Zacha as their top two centers, and while they've both performed admirably Pettersson would be an upgrade. We'd probably have to take one of them back in any deal, they have trade clauses and Coyle has a NMC, but who knows. Boston has limited trade assets though, probably not an ideal trade partner. 

Strome has played well for Washington but they need a top six center something fierce. They have the Backstrom LTIR, and his deal is up entirely after next season. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

If Minnesota didn't have another season of 14M+ in dead cap space ahead of them I'd list them, but they do. 

Tampa could opt to let Stamkos walk and try to trade for Pettersson but it seems extremely unlikely given he's a franchise icon. Cernak and Hagel are interesting pieces. 

Vegas has Eichel, but never count them out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Man, people love jumping straight to a life or death situation. Yes. If someone was threatening me or my family I would react. If someone is waiting to sign a sport contract, I'm not. I consider those a far different priority, not even in the same realm. But I guess that's on for not cultivating ever single word I say knowing someone would take it to the most outrages example possible.

Nonsense, it was just using your objectively false logic.

The same could be said if someone said they were going to steal money from you, or shit on your lawn, or anything else unpleasant.  Your statement that you wouldn't get pissy overy someone doing what they said they would do is just a pile of crap to justify an untenable position.  If someone promises to do something unpleasant to you, you aren't going to shrug and say "well at least they are doing what they said they would do, I have no reason to get upset...".

If someone says something that negatively affects you, and then does it... they don't get a pass.

There is no question that Petterson not signing is negatively affecting the team.  It could be an impact of millions of dollars to the organization, and an impact of the team losing momentum it built this year and being at the bottom of the standings again next year.

The rubber hits the road at the end of the season, as that is when  the impacts become enormous if he isn't signed to a long term extension by draft day... before decisions on qualifying offers and signings have to happen.  Even then, we would have lost months of negotiating time with other players who need contracts. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep I'd say right now it would be Boston or Florida. But that's if he's traded this year, who knows what their cap is a season from now.

boston is prolly doable with their cap situation florida would be a little tougher because of rhino.. and they do have 14+mil tied up in goaltending

• MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It doesn't have to be 12M available though, more than likely we'd be taking cap back.

Let's take a look.

I could see Nashville being interested, O'Reilly is their 1C and he ain't getting any younger. Hard to say which direction Trotz wants to take the Preds. I don't view them as a likely trade partner, but you never know.

Potentially Buffalo, but we'd likely be taking one of Mittlestadt or Cozens+ back. They could fit him, Thompson being on such a palatable deal helps them. But I don't see it as being a likely thing.

Columbus could certainly use him, but I don't see Pettersson having any interest in the mess that's been Columbus.

Potentially Carolina? Pettersson and Aho would be a nice 1-2 punch. We'd likely be asking for Svechnikov+ though. 

Winnipeg could use Pettersson, I don't see a Monahan extension as a sure thing and Schiefele will be 31 in March. Doubt Pettersson has any interest in Winnipeg though.

Pettersson and Barkov would also be a nice 1-2 punch, he'd likely cost him less due to taxes. Hard to say what Florida does, them keeping all of their current crew seems like a stretch, they're a wildcard. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

Seattle has Beniers, Wennburg is a pending UFA. Walking away from both Eberle and Wennburg would pay for most of Pettersson. We'd be asking for Beneirs or Wright+, but maybe they'd go for it to get a 1C. 

Maybe Dallas? Someone to go with Hintz? Benn's deal will be up after next season, Pavelski won't play forever. Duchene is having a great year but he's 33 and isn't a long-term option up front. Maybe something around Robertson? Harley and Johnston are appealing pieces. 

Boston has Coyle and Zacha as their top two centers, and while they've both performed admirably Pettersson would be an upgrade. We'd probably have to take one of them back in any deal, they have trade clauses and Coyle has a NMC, but who knows. Boston has limited trade assets though, probably not an ideal trade partner. 

Strome has played well for Washington but they need a top six center something fierce. They have the Backstrom LTIR, and his deal is up entirely after next season. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

If Minnesota didn't have another season of 14M+ in dead cap space ahead of them I'd list them, but they do. 

Tampa could opt to let Stamkos walk and try to trade for Pettersson but it seems extremely unlikely given he's a franchise icon. Cernak and Hagel are interesting pieces. 

Vegas has Eichel, but never count them out. 

The Kings and Rangers are probably the two teams that go all in if it comes down to a trade. Buffalo as well.

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

No? We can infer that something like 12x8 may have been spoken about, but you can't just say something was offered if there is no proof that something was offered.

And yet you have no proof it wasn’t 

and the media - Dhali, who’s not a major gossiper, said it. 

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Gillis was brought in to win. He failed. He also failed to draft and develop so anything. He was too afraid to make changes to the core, held onto them too long and their value decreased as their level of play began to fall off and slow down with age. So no he is not the guy for a rebuild. Not to mention the dog shit traces he made that left us with more and more dead weight. Its a good reason they fired his ass. Benning was brought in with a well respected scouting background for a reason. Also how do you plan on rebuilding with a GM that has been outcasted by the league and no one would be willing to do business with him? Why else has Gillis never had another GM job? Maybe put the bottle down and see straight for once

It’s nit arguable fact that Gillis was POHO and GM during our club’s most successful era. Gillis has not had another GM job because he broke the code of silence and always supporting the ownership’s choices. 
Kneel and bow 🙇 to the Empties.

27 minutes ago, Sapper said:

The problem with any trade possibilities is that contending teams either wouldn't trade players we would want or have cap.space .... And if he doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team it further limits options 

I still hope he signs here and given how his last contract hold out / moves went it's not 100% that he doesn't want to be here 

The bigger issue is the team is being handcuffed to whom.they can add at the deadline to rentals only unless we.sort out what our cap will be next year 

I'm hoping the canucks know his answer and are just keeping it under wraps till the deadline 

Does Pettersson have a limited NTC because if not then he has to go wherever he's traded.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

The Kings and Rangers are probably the two teams that go all in if it comes down to a trade. Buffalo as well.

I thought about the Kings, but Dubois is the wrinkle

Not sure what cap the Rags would move out 

They're also fronted by Zibanejad and Trocheck has slotted in nicely

9 minutes ago, Bardown said:

And yet you have no proof it wasn’t 

and the media - Dhali, who’s not a major gossiper, said it. 

Did he now, can you pull up that video? Because the only person I have found who actually reported this was Pagnotta who's based out of Toronto, and then it was refuted by Friedman. I tend listen to what Dhali says, but I haven't heard him report on this particular rumor directly saying it felt it was true.

Edit; Both Friedman on 32 and Dhali said it wasn't true 4 days ago. So not sure why you are saying Dhali actually backed the rumor

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Did he now, can you pull up that video? Because the only person I have found who actually reported this was Pagnotta who's based out of Toronto, and then it was refuted by Friedman. I tend listen to what Dhali says, but I haven't heard him report on this particular rumor directly saying it felt it was true.

Edit; Both Friedman on 32 and Dhali said it wasn't true 4 days ago. So not sure why you are saying Dhali actually backed the rumor

Cool

did you ever consider Dhali was walking it back because he doesn’t want to lose his privileges with the canucks? 

and do you really think he’s not being offered at much as Nylander and more because he’s a center?

common sense matters 

Nylander 11.5 mil aav

578 gp 508 pts

primarily a winger 

Petterson 

385 GP

397 pts 

pretty sure he’s over Nylanders offer given the ppg difference and position 

Edited by Bardown
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s nit arguable fact that Gillis was POHO and GM during our club’s most successful era. Gillis has not had another GM job because he broke the code of silence and always supporting the ownership’s choices. 
Kneel and bow 🙇 to the Empties.

goes from Presidents trophy to 23rd in the blink of an eye with garbage moves. Booth, Matthias, Garrison lmfao. 

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

Cool

did you ever consider Dhali was walking it back because he doesn’t want to lose his privileges with the canucks? 

Let me get this straight. You used Dhali as your reference, then when I said he actually said the opposite of what you said, now he's walking it back causes he's scared? 

That seems entirely logical.

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Cool

and do you really think he’s not being offered at much as Nylander and more because he’s a center?

common sense matters 

Did you ever consider you're wrong?

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

It changed that the Canucks made some moves, and that the trade deadline is approaching and confusing how they want to proceed with taking a player on to make this team even stronger for the playoffs, with a key person future unsettled and lead the league and have to plan for a future with or without him

This management likes to strike early and not be into bidding wars or miss out on replacements because he doesn't want to be here longer

I think this is why it's been reported that JR finds him not signing confusing and the Canucks are getting frustrated

If they can't even get an answer (never mind a signed contract) if he wants to stay or not that would be frustrating, they have already announced they want to sign and keep him, he has never stated he wants to stay and work out a contract which adds to their frustration I am sure

Clearly mgmt would like to get him signed asap, so a big piece of the puzzle is filled in. But I don't buy that they're confused about it, as Petey is doing exactly what he said he'd do.

2 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

Did you ever consider you're wrong?

Do you?

Nylander 11.5 mil aav

578 gp 508 pts

primarily a winger 

Petterson 

385 GP

397 pts 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I thought about the Kings, but Dubois is the wrinkle

Not sure what cap the Rags would move out 

They're also fronted by Zibanejad and Trocheck has slotted in nicely

I would accept any Kings deal if they included Byfield. That guy is underrated, and I think he makes the Team Canada rosters down the road.

The Rangers would definitely include Mika if it meant they were getting Pettersson back. The additional guys would be interesting Lafreniere, Chytil, Schneider, Miller, etc. Who would it be?

This is why I’m not really concerned. If he stays we are good. If he wants to leave, then there is nothing we can really do about it. Also we would get a really good trade back. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. 

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bardown said:

Do you?

Nylander 11.5 mil aav

578 gp 508 pts

primarily a winger 

Petterson 

385 GP

397 pts 

No one is disputing he's worth more then Nylander. Did you enter the conversation and then make an argument when you aren't even sure what the discussion at hand is?

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

goes from Presidents trophy to 23rd in the blink of an eye with garbage moves. Booth, Matthias, Garrison lmfao. 

Not an argument against Gillis being the POHO and GM during our most successful era. And he went to ownership after the first round exit to the Kings with a plan to rebuild. He was denied and fired the next season. Then we got Benning . Uggh.

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

No one is disputing he's worth more than Nylander. Did you enter the conversation and then make an argument when you aren't even sure what the discussion at hand is?

The basis of the argument is $12 mil not who said it or not. If that’s what you’re arguing you’re playing a silly game that ignores the actual point. The point is turning down 12 mil. 

if we agree that’s his “worth” Based on comps, and the Canucks have put such an offer on the table, which logically they would have given they said they’re very frustrated…

2+2 = what? 1.7 in your mind?

Edited by Bardown

So, what we know about this situation....

#1. Canucks have proven really effective in not letting anything out to the media about potential trades or contract negotiations.

#2. Pettersson and specifically his agent is not known to negotiate contracts in public or to do things that would lead the public to specific conclusions (talk to the media etc)

Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that the media has ZERO information about what has or hasn't been offered and is just making shit up.

With that in mind, why are we obsessing about this?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I would accept any Kings deal if they included Byfield. That guy is underrated, and I think he makes the Team Canada rosters down the road.

The Rangers would definitely include Mika if it meant they were getting Pettersson back. The additional guys would be interesting Lafreniere, Chytil, Schneider, Miller, etc. Who would it be?

This is why I’m not really concerned. If he stays we are good. If he wants to leave, then there is nothing we can really do about it. Also we would get a really good trade back. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. 

We can be thankful JR and PA are leading the ship and not Benning if there’s a Petey trade coming. Benning didn’t want Petey in the first place. And then only signed Petey to a three year deal. Classic Moran move. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We can be thankful JR and PA are leading the ship and not Benning if there’s a Petey trade coming. Benning didn’t want Petey in the first place. And then only signed Petey to a three year deal. Classic Moran move. 

They also are going to set a precedent here. 

if you want to play in Van, show it. If you don’t, show it and we will move you out. 

they said repeatedly they want players here who want to be here… Petey is burning bridges.

I appreciate a player has to look out for number 1, but then don’t expect a team to be committed to you either then. 

Edited by Bardown
  • ThereItIs 1