[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It doesn't have to be 12M available though, more than likely we'd be taking cap back.

Let's take a look.

I could see Nashville being interested, O'Reilly is their 1C and he ain't getting any younger. Hard to say which direction Trotz wants to take the Preds. I don't view them as a likely trade partner, but you never know.

Potentially Buffalo, but we'd likely be taking one of Mittlestadt or Cozens+ back. They could fit him, Thompson being on such a palatable deal helps them. But I don't see it as being a likely thing.

Columbus could certainly use him, but I don't see Pettersson having any interest in the mess that's been Columbus.

Potentially Carolina? Pettersson and Aho would be a nice 1-2 punch. We'd likely be asking for Svechnikov+ though. 

Winnipeg could use Pettersson, I don't see a Monahan extension as a sure thing and Schiefele will be 31 in March. Doubt Pettersson has any interest in Winnipeg though.

Pettersson and Barkov would also be a nice 1-2 punch, he'd likely cost him less due to taxes. Hard to say what Florida does, them keeping all of their current crew seems like a stretch, they're a wildcard. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

Seattle has Beniers, Wennburg is a pending UFA. Walking away from both Eberle and Wennburg would pay for most of Pettersson. We'd be asking for Beneirs or Wright+, but maybe they'd go for it to get a 1C. 

Maybe Dallas? Someone to go with Hintz? Benn's deal will be up after next season, Pavelski won't play forever. Duchene is having a great year but he's 33 and isn't a long-term option up front. Maybe something around Robertson? Harley and Johnston are appealing pieces. 

Boston has Coyle and Zacha as their top two centers, and while they've both performed admirably Pettersson would be an upgrade. We'd probably have to take one of them back in any deal, they have trade clauses and Coyle has a NMC, but who knows. Boston has limited trade assets though, probably not an ideal trade partner. 

Strome has played well for Washington but they need a top six center something fierce. They have the Backstrom LTIR, and his deal is up entirely after next season. Hard to say what we'd want from them though. 

If Minnesota didn't have another season of 14M+ in dead cap space ahead of them I'd list them, but they do. 

Tampa could opt to let Stamkos walk and try to trade for Pettersson but it seems extremely unlikely given he's a franchise icon. Cernak and Hagel are interesting pieces. 

Vegas has Eichel, but never count them out. 

I just wonder how many of these ar destinations Petey would want? 

12 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Well this is interesting.  First the top ten points leaders. Next the top ten highest salaries.  Since a lot of people simply sight points productions this would put petey around the Mitch marner value of 9.8 which is exactly where I feel he should be.  Though points is not my personal driving factor to value. For my "best player"  I like a guy who has character, can change a game, can play with an edge and is team first... hmmm Screenshot_20240227_165120_Facebook.thumb.jpg.b9526e14ffc800977397c14f29657969.jpgScreenshot_20240227_165052_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f683b03cb81b745294493a68691d9311.jpg

Pettersson is actually 14th in points per game.

6 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

It’s a first round pick and a grade a prospect short of being something that you don’t hang up the phone on… 

So you think a Big, offensive Physical 20 year old center (3rd overall) and potentially Cellebrini plus 12 mil in cap room isn’t enough?

really? That’s a haul in my books given the age and quality, and Anaheim would be probably tough to convince. 

3 minutes ago, Bardown said:

So you think a Big, offensive Physical 20 year old center (3rd overall) and potentially Cellebrini plus 12 mil in cap room isn’t enough?

really? That’s a haul in my books given the age and quality, and Anaheim would be probably tough to convince. 

Especially because Petey wouldn't sign with them and they know it. 

20 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Well this is interesting.  First the top ten points leaders. Next the top ten highest salaries.  Since a lot of people simply sight points productions this would put petey around the Mitch marner value of 9.8 which is exactly where I feel he should be.  Though points is not my personal driving factor to value. For my "best player"  I like a guy who has character, can change a game, can play with an edge and is team first... hmmm Screenshot_20240227_165120_Facebook.thumb.jpg.b9526e14ffc800977397c14f29657969.jpgScreenshot_20240227_165052_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f683b03cb81b745294493a68691d9311.jpg

This makes the 12m valuation of Pettersson just that much more comical. Sure...if 32 teams bid for him, at least one GM will massively overpay, but that doesn't mean he'll provide value at 12m.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just wonder how many of these ar destinations Petey would want? 

Dallas, Seattle, Florida, and Carolina jump out to me

Maybe Boston or Washington, but I don't like their pieces as much

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

This makes the 12m valuation of Pettersson just that much more comical. Sure...if 32 teams bid for him, at least one GM will massively overpay, but that doesn't mean he'll provide value at 12m.

12 mil has to be a franchise player 

a player who changes the game

on the Canucks that’s Hughes, Miller and Demko 

Petey is a heck of a point producer, not a guy you can lean on to change the game. 

this is what Halford and Brough said this morning and I agree

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bhoodlum said:

Does Pettersson have a limited NTC because if not then he has to go wherever he's traded.

his 1 year rfa pretty much is the biggest NTC u can get as a rfa.. he literally have to say i'll only sign with xxx city and no where else.. then ya no team would put a package for him unless they are planning on a 1 year rental

6 minutes ago, Bardown said:

12 mil has to be a franchise player 

a player who changes the game

on the Canucks that’s Hughes, Miller and Demko 

Petey is a heck of a point producer, not a guy you can lean on to change the game. 

this is what Halford and Brough said this morning and I agree

Agree. He's great at capitalizing on opportunities presented to him, but has a hard time generating opportunities on a consistent basis. I suspect this is why his play appears so inconsistent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Agree. He's great at capitalizing on opportunities presented to him, but has a hard time generating opportunities on a consistent basis. I suspect this is why his play appears so inconsistent.

Best way of saying it. It would be interesting to see how he performs without a Quinn Hughes and Miller on the PP

Yeah, I’m not liking this Petey situation. It reflects badly on his character. 

If he’s upset about a history of poor line-mates, that’s fine…but management has done enough imo to work toward correcting that. He didn’t like all the losing. Okay, but pretty hard to argue against first in the league at the 3/4 mark.

Just sign your 12 by 8 and stop pissing around.

Management has so many decisions to make in the near future, and he’s getting in the way of that. They need to know if they can keep Lindholm or keep the third line intact. Do they keep Zadorov or Cole? Can they chase Tanav at some point. Can they get Mik’s cap off the books, etc etc.

If he’s going to be one of those zoomer loser athletes, I’d try to make a trade with Comubus: Fantilli and Jiricek…or Fantilli and Werenski.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhoodlum said:

Does Pettersson have a limited NTC because if not then he has to go wherever he's traded.

For 1 yr (only) while under contract EP has to go where  traded,

But doubtful a team trading for him for only 1 yr of service. (without knowing he will re-sign with them) will  give up equal value trading talent the Canucks will get multiple years from

Were not trading EP because we don't like him, we are doing it because either he won't re-sign in Van or his price/term is not in line for keeping a strong depth team for years to come

what would people be saying Miller is getting if was re-signing this year?

He is the leader and gets more points at centre, where as EP got quite a bit being a w on his line and pp

Miller wanted to stay and glad he signed and is the #1 centre right now

Ep already held out, Not sure why with so many Swedes we have resigning troubles

Didn't Gillis have to fly to Sweden in 2009 to convince the Sedin's to re-sign?

Now they live here

12 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Selling dollar for pennies.

I don’t think so actually. 

McTavish is 4 years younger

Also a left Handed Center 

bigger, more physical and 3rd overall 

year one 43pts in 82 games

This year 39 pts in 50 games 

plays a hard heavy hame - he’s a great replacement 

the pick will be top 3. We’re getting Celebrini or a top 3 pick regardless 

Edited by Bardown

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

The Rangers would definitely include Mika if it meant they were getting Pettersson back. The additional guys would be interesting Lafreniere, Chytil, Schneider, Miller, etc. Who would it be?

This is why I’m not really concerned. If he stays we are good. If he wants to leave, then there is nothing we can really do about it. Also we would get a really good trade back. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. 

Sounds so familiar.  Hopefully it will turn out the same way as the JT Miller trade proposals.🤣