[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

15 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

No. .

It would mean Dhali got bullshitted.

It doesn't mean that either. It could mean those things, or it could mean that management was getting frustrated and Petey said eff this, let's get a deal done and be over this distraction, which someone reported this morning he has, in fact, told his agent. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if JR/PA leaked all this to create the distraction to nudge Petey to the table, after being frustrated. They're savvy af.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

It doesn't mean that either. It could mean those things, or it could mean that management was getting frustrated and Petey said eff this, let's get a deal done and be over this distraction, which someone reported this morning he has, in fact, told his agent. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if JR/PA leaked all this to create the distraction to nudge Petey to the table, after being frustrated. They're savvy af.

It was the JT Miller chants.

• Haha 2

I think we just have to realize we are all powerless. He gets what he gets. The AAV will be telling where his priorities are though. He's spent a lot of time talking about the importance of winning. That goes out the window if he is asking for 12.5 imo, but I don't see that happening. If he signs for 11.5 I think that is fair for all involved. If he signs for less, he will set a precedent for leaving some on the table to prioritize winning. A 12+M AAV contract becomes pretty heavy if he goes through a dry spell (as he is currently), particularly in the playoffs. Think of the players making that... Mackinnon, Matthews, Mcdavid.

My guess is 94/8 years (11.75 AAV).

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It was the JT Miller chants.

Could've helped, yup. Who wouldn't want their name chanted after playing lights out? Petey hearing that, and being uber competitive, could've thought, "Okay, I need to get a deal done to have it over with so I can get back to form and have a chant of my own." Checks out.

On 2/28/2024 at 7:11 AM, 43isprime said:

Does Pettersson possess an exceptional attribute? He's not particularly fast or quick, he's not overly strong, and while he has a tremendous shot when he has time and space, he isn't able to get it off nearly often enough.

I think he processes the game well, is very smart, and stick handles really well in tight spaces. It makes him a very good player, no doubt, but he's not among the league's elite. I think that's okay to acknowledge.

Imagine a player making over 100 points in consecutive seasons (expect him to repeat it this year)... we used to be impressed by that...

Edited by spook007
  • MillerTime 1

On 2/28/2024 at 9:59 AM, Provost said:

It is fine to be the 10th or 15th best forward in the league, those don't grow on trees and that is pretty elite.

If he wants to get paid as a top 3-5 guy, then that is where cap considerations come in.  He isn't McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews level... he is really below a guy like Pastrnak who just signed for $11.25 million on a max term deal.

We couldn't replace Petterson on the market, but it needs to keep getting noted that he is the 3rd best player on our team right now... not 3rd best player in the whole league.

Its totally fine being the 10th or 15th best player in the league... He may actually improve on that.

Petey is 25 going into him prime... most likely having his second 100 point season in a row... And while he is the 3rd best player on the team right now, the likely hood of him still being a 100point producer in 4-5 seasons are far higher than Miller being able to continue at this level another 4-5 years... hence he will be paid more than Miller.

And QH will be the highest paid player, once his contract needs renewed. So Petey is gonna get paid... and deservedly so...

On a side note, he is not going to get anything JR/PA don't think, he is worth... they showed that with Horvat. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its totally fine being the 10th or 15th best player in the league... He may actually improve on that.

Petey is 25 going into him prime... most likely having his second 100 point season in a row... And while he is the 3rd best player on the team right now, the likely hood of him still being a 100point producer in 4-5 seasons are far higher than Miller being able to continue at this level another 4-5 years... hence he will be paid more than Miller.

And QH will be the highest paid player, once his contract needs renewed. So Petey is gonna get paid... and deservedly so...

On a side note, he is not going to get anything JR/PA don't think, he is worth... they showed that with Horvat. 

Yes, I am assuming the number will start with an 11 for a max term deal as fair to both sides and leaving some possibility for upside for the team.  I was anti-Miller deal because I just didn't believe the team could fix its cap issues and be competitive enough in the first half of his contract when you can expect him to play at a high level... and the worry about the later end of it being overpaid when we had a chance to have a competitive window.

I hope I am wrong, I was wrong on how fast the brass could turn the team around.  Hopefully they can hold it together at a similar level when the big OEL dead money hits.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Imagine a player making over 100 points in consecutive seasons (expect him to repeat it this year)... we used to be impressed by that...

It must be more impressive since he isn’t fast, quick, strong or able to get it up…

An NHL unicorne 

• Cheers 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:11 PM, 43isprime said:

Does Pettersson possess an exceptional attribute? He's not particularly fast or quick, he's not overly strong, and while he has a tremendous shot when he has time and space, he isn't able to get it off nearly often enough.

I think he processes the game well, is very smart, and stick handles really well in tight spaces. It makes him a very good player, no doubt, but he's not among the league's elite. I think that's okay to acknowledge.

I think it's more about the overall package he brings. The fact that he's generally top 10 in the league means he's on point with the players who do have an exceptional attribute. In fact, he's better than a lot of players who have an exceptional attribute.

In fact, if you look at the players that do have an exceptional attribute, there are players in that category who can't even keep a spot in the NHL. Therefore, it's probably reasonable to think that, while having an exceptional attribute helps, it's not the defining factor that separates the good from the elite.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yes, I am assuming the number will start with an 11 for a max term deal as fair to both sides and leaving some possibility for upside for the team.  I was anti-Miller deal because I just didn't believe the team could fix its cap issues and be competitive enough in the first half of his contract when you can expect him to play at a high level... and the worry about the later end of it being overpaid when we had a chance to have a competitive window.

I hope I am wrong, I was wrong on how fast the brass could turn the team around.  Hopefully they can hold it together at a similar level when the big OEL dead money hits.

Yep. Expecting the number starting with 11 as well... and yes that is the big question... can they keep it going... So far they management did, what they said they'd do... very impressive.

I still think we are in the first of 2 windows... the second starting 3 years time once the 5M cap penalty is reduced again, and Wallander and Lekkerimaki have started to play in the NHL / contributing... 

But yes hopefully they find a way to keep it going throughout...

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yep. Expecting the number starting with 11 as well... and yes that is the big question... can they keep it going... So far they management did, what they said they'd do... very impressive.

I still think we are in the first of 2 windows... the second starting 3 years time once the 5M cap penalty is reduced again, and Wallander and Lekkerimaki have started to play in the NHL / contributing... 

But yes hopefully they find a way to keep it going throughout...

methinks if it’s an 8 year deal it’s in the 11-11.5 range per with bonuses. 
if it’s anything less than max term, he’s probably coming in at 12-12.5.

acceptable either way imho 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

methinks if it’s an 8 year deal it’s in the 11-11.5 range per with bonuses. 
if it’s anything less than max term, he’s probably coming in at 12-12.5.

acceptable either way imho 

With all the speculation, I thought he was going for a 3-4 year deal, and then hoping to make a killing on his last deal...

But these reports make me very happy... lock him up for 8 years... in 3-4 years it'll likely look like a great deal...

Wonder if Petey himself maybe was starting to see him playing himself out of a monster contract... who knows. Just gonna be pleased, once its done and dusted.

We've got just about 35.5M to re-sign all our players. Let's take a stab at it:

Petey - 12M

Hronek - 7.5M

Blueger - 3.5M

Joshua - 3.5M

Zadorov - 4M

Lindholm - 6M

That's 36.5M

Let Cole and Myers walk

Somehow flip Mikheyev's 5M and sign a defenceman (Tanev 4M)

Get kids (eg. Silovs) to fill the gaps

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Lindholm

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Bains - Raty - Aman

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

That defence is a bit thin but we're pretty deep up front. Personally I'd rather we throw that Lindholm money at a solid defenceman (Skeij/Pesce?) but I doubt we get a big fish there.

22 hours ago, BPA said:

Why are there 2 threads on Pettersson contract?

Because signing this numb nut is that important. He’s holding up all of the other contract negotiations. It all starts with him because then the club knows which direction to go in. We have like 10 or more UFA/RFA’s to sign. The domino’s fall with him. Guy has got to stop being selfish and sign already. We have enough distractions as it is. Right now we have no idea what the future holds for this team. Was this year a 1 and done scenario or are we going to be able to bring back the likes of Joshua,Bluegar,Zadorav,Hronek, etc etc