[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

12 hours ago, Tusk said:

I think Petey is just stressed thinking he would have a breakout year like we all thought. Instead, Miller and Brock showing what a 7 or 8 million dollar contract looks like.

There have been so many people saying give Petey 10, 11 or whatever for 8 years.... How would he ever live up to that? that would be an OEL anchor around Petey

Well, he did decide to bet on himself. So, if he doesn't have the year he thought he was going to have, that's on him, no? And plus, that means or should mean, that his aav should be down, since he wouldn't be worth a 11-12 million dollar player. If he wants that kind of dough, he needs to perform. And the last several weeks, he's been anything but that kind of player. What kind of player are we seeing? why does this seem to be a trend with him going back two years now? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, he did decide to bet on himself. So, if he doesn't have the year he thought he was going to have, that's on him, no? And plus, that means or should mean, that his aav should be down, since he wouldn't be worth a 11-12 million dollar player. If he wants that kind of dough, he needs to perform. And the last several weeks, he's been anything but that kind of player. What kind of player are we seeing? why does this seem to be a trend with him going back two years now? 

Yep. If he wants the Canucks to win and have a team beside him he should do 8x8. maybe his performance is to allow people to understand why he is not asking 11 mills per year

22 hours ago, Rekker said:

I imagine the schedule evens out and we will have some bigger gaps between games as well. EP looks off, not really into excuses, he needs to be better and has shown he can do more. I'm a huge EP fan and he has the skills to be dominant. 

16 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

You last posters suck so hard haha!

It’s been publicly reported he is dealing with a groin injury (don’t ask me for a link just google it you idiot). 

Anyone who has dealt with a groin injury and played hockey will understand why he’s losing his feet from under him. 

I know it would be a blow to our lineup but I’d sit him a couple if that’s something that could help. But I’m not a doctor and a doctor has chosen the course, so I’ll trust their decades of sports medicine over everyone here. 

There might be an injury but Petterson isnt a Austin Matthews or a Conner Mcdavid, or even a Conner Bedard or a Dave Matthews. Zip up a 8.5 mil deal and get back to playing to win the cup for Vancouver.,

45 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Yep. If he wants the Canucks to win and have a team beside him he should do 8x8. maybe his performance is to allow people to understand why he is not asking 11 mills per year

39 minutes ago, Tusk said:

There might be an injury but Petterson isnt an Austin Matthews or a Conner Mcdavid, or even a Conner Bedard or a Dave Matthews. Zip up a 8.5 mil deal and get back to playing to win the cup for Vancouver.,

You’re living in a dream world. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

You’re living in a dream world. 

Maybe, but I don't question it at all at the moment that EP40 is not worth as much as Pastrnak.  If Pasta only got $11.25m with his consistency and production, then Petey is absolutely worth less than that with his inconsistencies every season so far and lower production.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Let's be clear - a 11+ contract is given only to players that sustain an elite level of play over multiple seasons. Pettersson, unfortunately, is NOWHERE close to that. If he wants to play where he can win, as he claims he does, he better not ask for that kind of contract. He's not that player. The sooner everyone, including him, accepts that, the better off he and whichever team signs him will be.

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

Let's be clear - a 11+ contract is given only to players that sustain an elite level of play over multiple seasons. Pettersson, unfortunately, is NOWHERE close to that. If he wants to play where he can win, as he claims he does, he better not ask for that kind of contract. He's not that player. The sooner everyone, including him, accepts that, the better off he and whichever team signs him will be.

Petey is a PPG over his career and got selke attention last year.  

Hes elite and he’s getting paid.

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Petey is a PPG over his career and got selke attention last year.  

Hes elite and he’s getting paid.

I'm not saying he won't get paid. I'm saying he shouldn't, and if he does get 11+, the team is going to regret it big time.

He's not elite. He's can play at a very high level for some stretches, but is flat out ordinary for other stretches. It's a pattern that has repeated throughout his career. 

• ThereItIs 1

Most pundits expect him to be $11M/yr.  Right now I'm hoping for $10M/yr, although I'd say he's currently worth $8-9M/yr.  I agree though.....if he wants to play on a contender, he'll need to step up at the contract signing and give the team a break.  It's really the only way for most cup winners.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, 43isprime said:

To me, I think Petey signs a 4 year deal worth 9-10M. If he wants 12M, I think management is willing to give him that 4 year window to prove to them that he's that kind of player. I'm personally not convinced that he's that guy, because these "slumps" he's been in, they're becoming more regular. He says it's not injury, and if it's not mental, then is he saying (without saying it) that he's not the upper echelon type of players in the league? Cause the players that make that kind of dough, don't have these prolonged kind of slumps that he's becoming known for. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Most pundits expect him to be $11M/yr.  Right now I'm hoping for $10M/yr, although I'd say he's currently worth $8-9M/yr.  I agree though.....if he wants to play on a contender, he'll need to step up at the contract signing and give the team a break.  It's really the only way for most cup winners.

Guess we'll see if he really wants to win here. If he does, there will be some help financially to the team. Allvin and Rutherford has done amazing, given what Benning left them cap wise. I wonder what they could do once they're completely out and under Benning's blunders. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The question is why so many pundits seem to expect him to sign in the 11m range. I find it to be a bizarre overvaluation that clearly doesn't account for his lack of consistency.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

The question is why so many pundits seem to expect him to sign in the 11m range. I find it to be a bizarre overvaluation that clearly doesn't account for his lack of consistency.

One of Pettersson's closest comparables is Sebastian Aho. Aho just signed this past summer to what was immediately called a discount at $9.75M/year. Pettersson is a slightly better player both offensively and defensively. Also, factor in that North Carolina is a low income tax state (about a 10% difference in income tax between NC and BC). Put that all together and Pettersson is worth a little over $1M more than Aho which equals $11M/year.

Even with his slump, Pettersson is still pacing for his third consecutive 30+ goal season and second consecutive 100+ point season. He's also over 50% in the face-off dot for the first time in his career while averaging close to 2 minutes/game on the PK and has more takeaways than giveaways. Yes, he is not a multi-time Hart finalist like MacKinnon or a Hart winner and multi-time Richard winner like Matthews. But, those two are making $12.5M+ and if Pettersson was able to find consistency at that top level then he could be compared to them.

6 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Correct.  $11m is pushing close to Pastrnak territory.  The consistency isn't there to be paying him that kinda money.  I think the Canucks and Petey will settle in the $10m to $10.5m range.  Taking off the homer glasses, he is more Barkov than Pastrnak IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Correct.  $11m is pushing close to Pastrnak territory.  The consistency isn't there to be paying him that kinda money.  I think the Canucks and Petey will settle in the $10m to $10.5m range.  Taking off the homer glasses, he is more Barkov than Pastrnak IMO.

10-10.5M is good for me. I'd be fine with that. for how many years, though? 8 years? I'm down, that'd be a bargain in a few years. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Petey hasn't shown this year that he is more than a $10m player IMO. Right now I'd put him in the Miller deal range.

I disagree. I think he's earned himself to be slight more and better than Miller. 

9 hours ago, 43isprime said:

It's not really what he's worth, it's what others are willing to pay.  Will be interesting to see what happens with the cap and how many teams have significant cap space after this year.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I disagree. I think he's earned himself to be slight more and better than Miller. 

EP is flashier, but Miller has been keeping up in points and is better in the FO.  Oddly, Miller has the better +/- stat and he's more physical.  

The eye test tells us that EP is worth more, but the stats suggest he is not.  The only thing I can think of is age.....EP is entering his prime and that deserves a higher dollar amount.

I think EP gets more than Miller and hopefully it's around $8.5-9M/yr but my guess is that we're looking at $10M/yr unless EP buys into the idea that he leaves money on the table for others.  It gets interesting with OEL's salary hit and with some other guys playing more than their salary (e.g. Lafferty is playing like he deserves a spot next year and likely with a small raise).

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Guess we'll see if he really wants to win here. If he does, there will be some help financially to the team. Allvin and Rutherford has done amazing, given what Benning left them cap wise. I wonder what they could do once they're completely out and under Benning's blunders. 

Agree.  Given the great work of management and the coaches in place, it is pretty clear that if EP doesn't sign long-term with Vancouver, he likely always wanted to play elsewhere.  

14 hours ago, 43isprime said:

I'm not saying he won't get paid. I'm saying he shouldn't, and if he does get 11+, the team is going to regret it big time.

He's not elite. He's can play at a very high level for some stretches, but is flat out ordinary for other stretches. It's a pattern that has repeated throughout his career. 

As McDavid that disappears playing against us… That guy is overpaid by a lot if millions.

Matthews.. Phew, Boeser is better as you can see with your own eyes. 

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

As McDavid that disappears playing against us… That guy is overpaid by a lot if millions.

Matthews.. Phew, Boeser is better as you can see with your own eyes. 

As much as I detest matthews, he has a track record of scoring goals, and a lot of them.  FIVE 40+ goal seasons and SEVEN straight seasons of 30+ goals.  Petey has 2 30+ goal seasons in his entire career.

Don't even try with McDavid.  He's probably still gonna win the art Ross this year.  He's heating up now.

• Cheers 1

Pete's contract shouldn't be compared to the Hughes or JT contracts  because...

Hughes signed a contract that represented his (20-21 season), which nowhere near indicated

that he would become the player he is now.

JT was a pt per game 2nd C on a mediocre team when he signed his contract.  Nobody thought

that Miller would improve his game to the level it is now; especially at 30yrs old.

Both these players were signed during the stifling 'no increase' cap era.  Now we know that the

cap will be going up next season and likely the following 2 after.

Pete has been struggling lately, but there's no reason to believe that it's anything more than

a temporary slump. At the moment, his stats indicate that he will put up slightly better stats than

last year, by the end of this season. 

Imo, he should be getting around $10m, (+/-) depending on how long he signs for.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

As much as I detest matthews, he has a track record of scoring goals, and a lot of them.  FIVE 40+ goal seasons and SEVEN straight seasons of 30+ goals.  Petey has 2 30+ goal seasons in his entire career.

Don't even try with McDavid.  He's probably still gonna win the art Ross this year.  He's heating up now.

Didn’t you notice how Petey broke the Flames defence with his passing? 

You’re just foolish if you think Petey gets much less than his other foes in par example McDavid.

He might choose a short bridge wich might get his cap down but not if we want 8 years… That will be expensive.

• Upvote 1