[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pete's contract shouldn't be compared to the Hughes or JT contracts  because...

Hughes signed a contract that represented his (20-21 season), which nowhere near indicated

that he would become the player he is now.

JT was a pt per game 2nd C on a mediocre team when he signed his contract.  Nobody thought

that Miller would improve his game to the level it is now; especially at 30yrs old.

Both these players were signed during the stifling 'no increase' cap era.  Now we know that the

cap will be going up next season and likely the following 2 after.

Pete has been struggling lately, but there's no reason to believe that it's anything more than

a temporary slump. At the moment, his stats indicate that he will put up slightly better stats than

last year, by the end of this season. 

Imo, he should be getting around $10m, (+/-) depending on how long he signs for.

He would have got 10 mill back in the days when Loui signed for 6…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

As McDavid that disappears playing against us… That guy is overpaid by a lot if millions.

Matthews.. Phew, Boeser is better as you can see with your own eyes. 

Lol boeser is better than Matthew's!?? That's a Homer statement if I ever saw one. 

Just because Boeser has 1 more goal than Matthew's so far this season doesn't in any universe mean that he is a better hockey player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Lol boeser is better than Matthew's!?? That's a Homer statement if I ever saw one. 

Just because Boeser has 1 more goal than Matthew's so far this season doesn't in any universe mean that he is a better hockey player. 

To be fair…. Apparently it exists in at least one 😮

49 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Didn’t you notice how Petey broke the Flames defence with his passing? 

You’re just foolish if you think Petey gets much less than his other foes in par example McDavid.

He might choose a short bridge wich might get his cap down but not if we want 8 years… That will be expensive.

No, the Canucks would be foolish if they are comparing Petey with McDavid. 

• ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

He would have got 10 mill back in the days when Loui signed for 6…

Pete didn't reach a pt per game in his 1st four seasons.  As I recall, he wasn't that great physically or

offensively.  His value from that timeframe is reflected in his current contract.

He's worked tremendously to reach the level that he is at now. He'll get a decent increase in $

for his efforts.  I just don't see him even close to the $12m club at all.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Pete's contract shouldn't be compared to the Hughes or JT contracts  because...

Hughes signed a contract that represented his (20-21 season), which nowhere near indicated

that he would become the player he is now.

JT was a pt per game 2nd C on a mediocre team when he signed his contract.  Nobody thought

that Miller would improve his game to the level it is now; especially at 30yrs old.

Both these players were signed during the stifling 'no increase' cap era.  Now we know that the

cap will be going up next season and likely the following 2 after.

Pete has been struggling lately, but there's no reason to believe that it's anything more than

a temporary slump. At the moment, his stats indicate that he will put up slightly better stats than

last year, by the end of this season. 

Imo, he should be getting around $10m, (+/-) depending on how long he signs for.

It is evident that these "slumps" are a regular occurrence. We need to stop calling these poor stretches "slumps" because they're part of his player profile.

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

Didn’t you notice how Petey broke the Flames defence with his passing? 

You’re just foolish if you think Petey gets much less than his other foes in par example McDavid.

He might choose a short bridge wich might get his cap down but not if we want 8 years… That will be expensive.

In no world should Pettersson ever be compared to Mcdavid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

It’s an exaggeration on the same level as Tusk and HKSR does here talking about Petey…

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pete didn't reach a pt per game in his 1st four seasons.  As I recall, he wasn't that great physically or

offensively.  His value from that timeframe is reflected in his current contract.

He's worked tremendously to reach the level that he is at now. He'll get a decent increase in $

Two first seasons playing with Loui, Goldobin etc and no Draisatl beside him.

132 points in 139 games is very close to PPG as a rookie and sophomore.
Splitting hairs aren’t we…

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

I said much less, get it?
You and Tusk seems to think he will get around 10 or less.

Do you want him traded? 

He's not even worth $11m+ unless you think he's comparable to Pastrnak.

I’m all for Petey getting a raise 11 to 11.5 mil but if he comes in at 12 or higher I’d be pissed and I’m a big supporter. If it’s north of 12 mil I’m thinking he should tack on 1 million to Millers contract because that dude is probably going to be a ppg or close to it for the next 4-5 years and tbh it’s a steal and half. Hopefully Petey leaves a tad on table so we can fill out the roster. Regardless Petey will be here another year anyways 🤪

Go Canucks 

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Anything over 10.25m is a mistake. I love him but he gets knocked off puck really easy. On the PP when he has the puck everyone knows to pressure him and he will turn it over. He's the second best player on this team. No one is close to Hughes now, and we should be worried about his next contract, if petey is 12m then Hughes on his next deal is 14m? I'd love to see petey think of the big picture and sign for 10m @8 years.

17 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

It is evident that these "slumps" are a regular occurrence. We need to stop calling these poor stretches "slumps" because they're part of his player profile.

7 points in his last 10 games isn't a slump.  Matthews also has 7 points in his last 10 games and gets paid almost $12 million.  When it comes to Petey's next contract, they will use Barkov as the comparable.  Barkov has 653 points in 685 games.  He's at 0.95 PPG and has never hit 100 points.  Petey is at 355 points in 350 games.  He's at 1.01 PPG and will most likely hit 100 points two years in a row.  Petey will probably get lots of Selke votes this year as well.

Barkov is at $10 million.  That was in a flat cap and he plays in Florida with no state tax.  So Petey's absolute starting price is $11 million.  He won't be getting any less than that.  And he is betting on himself, so he will wait until the summer before he signs an extension.  So, we need to wait to see what he does the rest of the year...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Two first seasons playing with Loui, Goldobin etc and no Draisatl beside him.

132 points in 139 games is very close to PPG as a rookie and sophomore.
Splitting hairs aren’t we…

His 2nd season was his best in the first 4.  That was when they played the lotto line:  Pete - JT- Brock.

This was also Quinn's rookie year, which had a dynamic effect on the team's offensive game.

Unfortunately, he was injured the next season and the following year there's a wee bit of regression.

He 'hit it out of the park' last season and needs to continue with that kind of performance if he

wants to get into the +$11m group.

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

7 points in his last 10 games isn't a slump.  Matthews also has 7 points in his last 10 games and gets paid almost $12 million.  When it comes to Petey's next contract, they will use Barkov as the comparable.  Barkov has 653 points in 685 games.  He's at 0.95 PPG and has never hit 100 points.  Petey is at 355 points in 350 games.  He's at 1.01 PPG and will most likely hit 100 points two years in a row.  Petey will probably get lots of Selke votes this year as well.

Barkov is at $10 million.  That was in a flat cap and he plays in Florida with no state tax.  So Petey's absolute starting price is $11 million.  He won't be getting any less than that.  And he is betting on himself, so he will wait until the summer before he signs an extension.  So, we need to wait to see what he does the rest of the year...

Until yesterday's game, Petey had 5 points in the previous 10 games. 2 goals and 3 assists.

Barkov has won the selke.  Until Petey does that, he's not quite as accomplished defensively as Barkov.

You also need to look at recent performance when Barkov signed his deal.  He was coming off a season where he was pacing for 47 goals and 107 points.

I still think Petey us between $10 and $11m.  Over $11m is a bad deal for the Canucks.  Pastrnak is at $11.25m and he's definitely the better and more consistent player.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Uh I think Matthews gets the benefit of the doubt, being, you know, probably one of the best goal scorers of his generation. 

Matthews, over his career, averages 50 goals per 82 and has crested 40 goals 5 times, including the Canadian division season. Pettersson averages 34, having never gotten to 40. 

We should all stop bringing up the McDavid's, Matthews', and MacKinnon's when discussing Pettersson. Pettersson is not in the same league.

I suspect Pettersson will get what he wants. I'm just saying he's not worth it and and we'll regret the contract big time.

1 minute ago, 43isprime said:

Uh I think Matthews gets the benefit of the doubt, being, you know, probably one of the best goal scorers of his generation. 

Matthews, over his career, averages 50 goals per 82 and has crested 40 goals 5 times, including the Canadian division season. Pettersson averages 34, having never gotten to 40. 

We should all stop bringing up the McDavid's, Matthews', and MacKinnon's when discussing Pettersson. Pettersson is not in the same league.

I suspect Pettersson will get what he wants. I'm just saying he's not worth it and and we'll regret the contract big time.

Matthews is a fabulous player. Big, elite skill, and a top scorer. But any player’s stats need to be about the full season. So what does the pkayer do in a year. No adjustments for just gams played. That means the player is injured and not actually out there helping his club. Petey plays through his hurts. That’s important. If he sat out these last five games because of a n injury then his prorated stats get skewed.

Stats only matter for the entire season. Prorated is poo poo head. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Didn’t you notice that McDavid was almost invisible against the Canucks? 
Petey dominated against the Flames…

At least two goals were due to his passing skills giving his compadres more time with the puck that leads to a goal.

Sometimes he loose the puck but when it keads to a goal another time it’s wort the gamble.

Petey is in their league. 
You think like you do because you want Petey to bebigger before you accept comparision.

If Petey would be heavier he would be the No.1 player in NHL.

It’s just his size that means he is in the same league as the ones you mentioned.

Watch him in the playoffs later and eat crow.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Until yesterday's game, Petey had 5 points in the previous 10 games. 2 goals and 3 assists.

Barkov has won the selke.  Until Petey does that, he's not quite as accomplished defensively as Barkov.

You also need to look at recent performance when Barkov signed his deal.  He was coming off a season where he was pacing for 47 goals and 107 points.

I still think Petey us between $10 and $11m.  Over $11m is a bad deal for the Canucks.  Pastrnak is at $11.25m and he's definitely the better and more consistent player.

Pastrnak is a winger, Petey is a centre.  I'm sorry but you can't compare a winger to a centre, especially a winger who only scores goals and doesn't do much defending.  At the end of the day, a #1 two way centre who can score 100 points, play a 200' game, kill penalties and get Selke votes is worth more than a one dimensional 60 goal winger...

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Didn’t you notice that McDavid was almost invisible against the Canucks? 
Petey dominated against the Flames…

At least two goals were due to his passing skills giving his compadres more time with the puck that leads to a goal.

Sometimes he loose the puck but when it keads to a goal another time it’s wort the gamble.

Petey is in their league. 
You think like you do because you want Petey to bebigger before you accept comparision.

If Petey would be heavier he would be the No.1 player in NHL.

It’s just his size that means he is in the same league as the ones you mentioned.

Watch him in the playoffs later and eat crow.

Yeah sorry I don't think you're making very much sense.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pastrnak is a winger, Petey is a centre.  I'm sorry but you can't compare a winger to a centre, especially a winger who only scores goals and doesn't do much defending.  At the end of the day, a #1 two way centre who can score 100 points, play a 200' game, kill penalties and get Selke votes is worth more than a one dimensional 60 goal winger...

Lol, you keep telling yourself that.  Petey is a very good player, but a 60 goal scorer is on another level.  Especially one as consistent as Pastrnak (30+ goals 7 years in a row... soon to be 8 years).