[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pastrnak is paid to score goals, that's why he's getting $11.25 million.  He has only hit 60 goals once, and is currently on pace for 47 goals this year.  A 47-goal scorer is not worth $11.25 million.  So, Pastrnak seems to be overpaid at this point. 

No, Petey isn't comparable to Pastrnak because Petey is a two-way 100-point centre, and Pastrnak is a one dimensional winger.  The two aren't comparable at all actually.  You are correct.  Two-way 100-point centres are much more valuable than one dimensional wingers...

No he's not.  He's paid to produce offence.  Goals and assists.  Does he score goals well?  Yup, but he's also shown that he's an incredible playmaker too.  In fact he has more assists than goals in his career. 

I know it's hard to take off homer glasses and clearly "Elias Pettersson" is your name, but honestly, until Petey strings together 6 to 8 years of production like Pastrnak, you really can't compare the 2 when it comes to impact on the game.  You even tried to call out Pastrnak for 6 goals in 16 games as a slump and yet that would STILL be on pace for 31 goals lmao. 

Please don't get me wrong, I love Petey, but I also can see that he's not at Pastrnak's level right now.  Hence he should NOT be asking for $11M+.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No he's not.  He's paid to produce offence.  Goals and assists.  Does he score goals well?  Yup, but he's also shown that he's an incredible playmaker too.  In fact he has more assists than goals in his career. 

I know it's hard to take off homer glasses and clearly "Elias Pettersson" is your name, but honestly, until Petey strings together 6 to 8 years of production like Pastrnak, you really can't compare the 2 when it comes to impact on the game.  You even tried to call out Pastrnak for 6 goals in 16 games as a slump and yet that would STILL be on pace for 31 goals lmao. 

Please don't get me wrong, I love Petey, but I also can see that he's not at Pastrnak's level right now.  Hence he should NOT be asking for $11M+.

Pastrnak is a better player offensively than Pettersson. But, Pastrnak is much worse defensively and also has one of the most offensively biased zone starts in the league. Pettersson's defensive metrics this season have actually been really impressive. @-AJ- recently had Petey at #6 in his Selke analysis this season. Maybe that's not number 1, but it's still elite.

Also, centers are worth more than wingers. Maybe they shouldn't be, and that can be a different discussion, but in the NHL equivalent centers are paid more than wingers.

I've already said that I think Pettersson's best comparable is Sebastian Aho but Petey is slightly better defensively and last season and this season is slightly better offensively too. Aho just got signed to $9.75M. So, if Pettersson is slightly better than him then he should be worth at least $10.5M and $11M wouldn't be a stretch.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Pastrnak is a better player offensively than Pettersson. But, Pastrnak is much worse defensively and also has one of the most offensively biased zone starts in the league. Pettersson's defensive metrics this season have actually been really impressive. @-AJ- recently had Petey at #6 in his Selke analysis this season. Maybe that's not number 1, but it's still elite.

Also, centers are worth more than wingers. Maybe they shouldn't be, and that can be a different discussion, but in the NHL equivalent centers are paid more than wingers.

I've already said that I think Pettersson's best comparable is Sebastian Aho but Petey is slightly better defensively and last season and this season is slightly better offensively too. Aho just got signed to $9.75M. So, if Pettersson is slightly better than him then he should be worth at least $10.5M and $11M wouldn't be a stretch.

I don't disagree with many of your points.  Even with the salary demands.  At $10.5M, I think it would be fine.  I just don't see Petey in the $11.25M+ range given the lack of consistency in his game so far.  Anything in the $10.xx range makes sense, as I believe Petey will grow and improve.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Yeah, and the relevant argument here is what..."I'll take it on blind faith that Pettersson is an elite number one center, and therefore he must have more value than any winger and is worth 11+"...well I guess you must be right 🤣

You're calling him an elite 90-100 PT center when he's averaged 1 ppg over his career? Like...what?

He's hit 100 pts exactly once, and that was with a winger who was shooting 27%.

Just because I don't put him in the same category as "Gretzky, Lemieux, Trottier, Messier, Sakic, Yzerman, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Kopitar, Toews, Eichel, Crosby" doesn't mean I'm trashing him.

Three weeks ago I didn't have an account. Our PDO was sitting at 109. We were the highest scoring team in the league. We'd scored 18 combined goals in two of our games. Everyone's stats were bloated; even Hughes was on pace for 130pts. 

The currently 7th leading scorer in the NHL is not worth $11 million+ per year because he has shown no evidence he can sustain elite production over multiple seasons. Instead, he has shown a pattern of high level play interspersed with prolonged slumps. And again, his stats are padded from that stretch with historically high team PDO. That's why.

Straws burner account??????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Especially considering the tax differences. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Petey’s stats are padded because of team play. Last year was a fluke. He only got 102 points because Kuzmenko was shooting at 27%. 

Petey is currently on pace for 105 points. Kuzmenko is shooting at 12%. So how is it possible that Petey is on pace for more points this year than last year?  Strange isn’t it. 

Maybe it’s because Petey is actually an elite 100 point centre. Could that be the reason?  

Aren’t two seasons considered “multiple” seasons?  Or do you have a different definition of multiple?  Do players need to sustain production over a 4-5 year period in order to get paid based on that production?  Is that how it works?  

I agree with you EP40 is a 100 point player. To be fair he is probably injured or dealing with something based on his play of late.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

No. 

He has 6 points in his last 5 games.

15 points in his last 10 games.

🤨

I do think Pasta is honestly a dynamo player. He's got garbage feeding him the puck. Guys a gamer. I'd kill to have an add like that. 

Would I trade EP40... prob not. But I'd hand out a first, a good roster player ie: Mik, and add a high end prospect in Lekkerimaki or D Petey. 

Pasta got game for sure. No denying it.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Petey’s stats are padded because of team play. Last year was a fluke. He only got 102 points because Kuzmenko was shooting at 27%. 

Petey is currently on pace for 105 points. Kuzmenko is shooting at 12%. So how is it possible that Petey is on pace for more points this year than last year?  Strange isn’t it. 

Maybe it’s because Petey is actually an elite 100 point centre. Could that be the reason?  

Aren’t two seasons considered “multiple” seasons?  Or do you have a different definition of multiple?  Do players need to sustain production over a 4-5 year period in order to get paid based on that production?  Is that how it works?  

Wait, what??? Okay let's try this again.

You claim: "Pettersson is in a group of elite 90-100 pt centers"

(1) how many times has he hit 90 pts?

(2) what is his career ppg average?

The answer to (1) is incidentally not 2, as you appear to believe.

In the first 13 games of this season, Pettersson scored 24 pts, including 7 combined points in the blowout wins vs Edmonton and SJ. As I told you, the team was on a PDO heater in the first few weeks. All stats were bloated.

In the last 12 games, he has 8 pts. I don't suppose you were pencilling him in for 150 pts after game 13?

So is he a 150 pt center or a 55 pt center? Or somewhere in between? Okay, so once we've agreed he's in between, we need to determine where that in-between is. And now we're back again at (2): what is his career ppg average?

Edited by 43isprime

Isn't Pastrnak paid to score goals, or has he now turned into a setup man?  Is Marchand the goal scorer on that line now?

Pastrnak is paid to score goals, that's why he's getting $11.25 million.  He has only hit 60 goals once, and is currently on pace for 47 goals this year.  A 47-goal scorer is not worth $11.25 million.  So, Pastrnak seems to be overpaid at this point. 

No, Petey isn't comparable to Pastrnak because Petey is a two-way 100-point centre, and Pastrnak is a one dimensional winger.  The two aren't comparable at all actually.  You are correct.  Two-way 100-point centres are much more valuable than one dimensional wingers...

No he's not, Pasta's play this season is a huge part of why Boston hasn't regressed as much as a lot of folks though they would without Bergeron and Krejci. Pasts is still on pace for 50+ goals despite having altered his game to contribute to Boston's overall offense. He's distributing the puck more, he's the straw that stirs the drink in Boston's top six as demonstrated by his having 36 points in 24 games, with 22 of them being assists. For reference, the next highest Bruin is Marchand with 23 points. 

Pasta has more assists than most of his teammates have points. He's also one of four Bruins with more than eight goals, leading the way with 14. 

Pasta is getting 11.25M because he's the Bruin's most important player, he drives the Bruins forward. I was pretty sure the Bruins would falter, Pasta is the biggest reason why they haven't, he's exceeded everyone's expectations and proven he's more than a one trick pony. Bruins are much more dangerous up front precisely because Pasta's a bigger threat when he's willing to pass. 

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/bruins/david-pastrnak-taking-game-to-level-montgomery-didnt-expect

Given all the turnover around him, including the retirements of David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron – the two centers he’s had the most success with in his career – some sort of decline in production would have been completely understandable.

Even his coach expected it.

“I thought that he would have a harder time producing without Bergy and obviously Krejci to work with,” Jim Montgomery acknowledged Wednesday.

“In my year-end meeting with him, I said, ‘There’s gonna be a lot more put on you next year.’ We figured they [Bergeron and Krejci] were moving on,” Montgomery said. “He just looked and said, ‘Yeah, I’m expecting it. Don’t worry about it.’ That’s what he said to me. And now I don’t worry about it.”

• ThereItIs 1

They're different players, but Pasta is arguably more dynamic and has a longer track record of elite production. I'm a big Pettersson fan but it's hard to not be impressed by what Pastrnak has developed into, he's been roughly point per game or better since 16-17. 

Pettersson is absolutely capable of being the same caliber of player, but I'd argue Pasta's been more valuable to his team thus far. 

Despite being known as a goal scorer Pasta has quietly put up 338 assists to go with his 315 goals over the course of his NHL career. 653 points in 616 games.

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They're different players, but Pasta is arguably more dynamic and has a longer track record of elite production. I'm a big Pettersson fan but it's hard to not be impressed by what Pastrnak has developed into, he's been roughly point per game or better since 16-17. 

Pettersson is absolutely capable of being the same caliber of player, but I'd argue Pasta's been more valuable to his team thus far. 

Despite being known as a goal scorer Pasta has quietly put up 338 assists to go with his 315 goals over the course of his NHL career. 653 points in 616 games.

And the drafting guru (NOT) had two picks to select Pasta. Benning. 🤢

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And the drafting guru (NOT) had two picks to select Pasta. Benning. 🤢

He's also money come playoff time, 79 points in 77 games. 25OA pick. 

It'd likely have been a butterfly effect sort of thing though, have Pasta blowing up on the Canucks back then and who we draft going forward likely looks completely different. 

Fun to think about what could have been. 

Unpopular opinion. If this dude gets more than 10mil he's overpaid. Refuses to bulk up and gets bullied in every scrum and board battle, has largely been a ghost this season when he's not blowing up San Jose or Edmonton, enter whatever excuse you want. I said last year his defensive profile is overrated. He wants 4-5 years, take 10 mil. Otherwise I seriously entertain the idea of trading him. Bring in Reino in the offseason. 

41 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

In the first 13 games of this season, Pettersson scored 24 pts, including 7 combined points in the blowout wins vs Edmonton and SJ. As I told you, the team was on a PDO heater in the first few weeks. All stats were bloated.

In the last 12 games, he has 8 pts. I don't suppose you were pencilling him in for 150 pts after game 13?

So is he a 150 pt center or a 55 pt center? Or somewhere in between? Okay, so once we've agreed he's in between, we need to determine where that in-between is. And now we're back again at (2): what is his career ppg average?

And this is addressing only the rather interesting "90-100 pt" part of your claim. The "elite" part of the claim is an entirely different can of worms.

I find that word gets thrown around way too liberally. I'm not sure getting to 90-100 pts automatically qualifies a player as "elite".

To me, an elite player has to consistently produce and drive play at 5 on 5 and sustain that level over multiple seasons. That label is reserved for a very exclusive group. I don't think Pettersson has the track record to claim membership in that group.

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's also money come playoff time, 79 points in 77 games. 25OA pick. 

It'd likely have been a butterfly effect sort of thing though, have Pasta blowing up on the Canucks back then and who we draft going forward likely looks completely different. 

Fun to think about what could have been. 

I'd argue it's not so fun 🤣

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Why do you keep changing the goal posts every time I call you out?  You said Petey got 100 points last year because Kuzmenko was shooting at 27%. Now that I point out that Petey is still on pace this year for 105 points even though Kuzmenko is now shooting at only 12%, you change the goal posts and state that he’s only getting points against the crappy opposition. 

You can’t just cherry pick 12 games in a season and say that Petey is now a 55+ point player. That’s pretty stupid. 

“Multiple” seasons. What is the definition of multiple?  2 or more right?  Petey is a 102 point player from last year and is on a pace for 105 points this year which includes his slump due to injury. Thats multiple seasons. I don’t really care what he did 3 years ago. It’s irrelevant and will be irrelevant in contract talks. 

I can guarantee you unless Petey slumps to 80 points this year, he is getting $11 million minimum. If you want you can save this post. 

An elite 100 point two way centre is easily an $11 million player. There are literally 3 players just on Toronto getting $11 million while a 4th one is going to get that next summer. 

Sebastian Aho who is an inferior player and never has gotten more than 81 points signed for $9.75 million. 

So, how do you figure a 100 point centre will sign for less than $11 million when an 81 point centre is getting almost $10 million? 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why do you keep changing the goal posts every time I call you out?  You said Petey got 100 points last year because Kuzmenko was shooting at 27%. Now that I point out that Petey is still on pace this year for 105 points even though Kuzmenko is now shooting at only 12%, you change the goal posts and state that he’s only getting points against the crappy opposition. 

You can’t just cherry pick 12 games in a season and say that Petey is now a 55+ point player. That’s pretty stupid. 

“Multiple” seasons. What is the definition of multiple?  2 or more right?  Petey is a 102 point player from last year and is on a pace for 105 points this year which includes his slump due to injury. Thats multiple seasons. I don’t really care what he did 3 years ago. It’s irrelevant and will be irrelevant in contract talks. 

I can guarantee you unless Petey slumps to 80 points this year, he is getting $11 million minimum. If you want you can save this post. 

An elite 100 point two way centre is easily an $11 million player. There are literally 3 players just on Toronto getting $11 million while a 4th one is going to get that next summer. 

Sebastian Aho who is an inferior player and never has gotten more than 81 points signed for $9.75 million. 

So, how do you figure a 100 point centre will sign for less than $11 million when an 81 point centre is getting almost $10 million? 

There is also his worth to the team as a number one center. Take out our number one center, gross. Take out our number one D, gross. Take out our number one goalie, gross. There is no plan B and number one centers are near impossible to aquire. Drafting them one is pretty much the only way. EP is still a player developing before our eyes and if we overpay a litte now, I'm sure it will pay off later. I'm fine with anything between 11 and 12.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

And this is addressing only the rather interesting "90-100 pt" part of your claim. The "elite" part of the claim is an entirely different can of worms.

I find that word gets thrown around way too liberally. I'm not sure getting to 90-100 pts automatically qualifies a player as "elite".

To me, an elite player has to consistently produce and drive play at 5 on 5 and sustain that level over multiple seasons. That label is reserved for a very exclusive group. I don't think Pettersson has the track record to claim membership in that group.

5 on 5 points in 2022-2023:

Nathan MacKinnon - 77

Connor McDavid - 75

Elias Pettersson - 68

Jack Hughes - 68

Sidney Crosby - 66

Brayden Point - 65

Leon Draisaitl - 64

Sebastian Aho - 48

Petey was #3 in 5 on 5 scoring for centres last year. Even ahead of Leon Draisaitl. According to your own words, an elite player has to be able to drive play 5 on 5. Is Petey not elite if he is the #3 scoring centre in the NHL at 5 on 5?

Sebastian Aho signed a $9.75 million contract this summer. He had 48 points at 5 on 5 last year. Petey had 68. According to your own metric, Petey is an elite centre who should be getting paid $11 million. 68 points is much much more than 48 right?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Pasta is a great player. Nobody is denying that. But he is a one dimensional winger who doesn’t kill penalties. That type of player is not worth more than a 100 point two way centre who plays in all situations. 

Also, Pasta is 27. Petey is 25. Petey hit 102 points at age 24. At age 24 and even at age 25 Pasta was basically a PPG player.  The fact that Petey is 2 years younger than Pasta makes him an even more valuable player. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pasta is a great player. Nobody is denying that. But he is a one dimensional winger who doesn’t kill penalties. That type of player is not worth more than a 100 point two way centre who plays in all situations. 

Also, Pasta is 27. Petey is 25. Petey hit 102 points at age 24. At age 24 and even at age 25 Pasta was basically a PPG player.  The fact that Petey is 2 years younger than Pasta makes him an even more valuable player. 

I agree. The entire debate comparing Pasta and EP is moot. You touched the center-winger comparison and this is not a fleeting fact. It's everything. One cannot compare winger and center contracts, its apples and oranges. Both fruits but completely different. I've had the same discussion on this board about EP and it pains me when people compare winger salaries to EP. EP for some of his faults is a number one, two way center. Top ten in this leugue. No way he signs under 11.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You really don't seem to get it. Let me copy and paste what I said:

"In the first 13 games of this season, Pettersson scored 24 pts, including 7 combined points in the blowout wins vs Edmonton and SJ. As I told you, the team was on a PDO heater in the first few weeks. All stats were bloated.

In the last 12 games, he has 8 pts. I don't suppose you were pencilling him in for 150 pts after game 13?

So is he a 150 pt center or a 55 pt center? Or somewhere in between? Okay, so once we've agreed he's in between, we need to determine where that in-between is. And now we're back again at (2): what is his career ppg average?"

Where did I call him a 55pt center? The really "stupid" thing to say is to call him an elite 100 pt center when he has reached 100 points exactly once, and to double down on that stupidity by claiming multiple (lmao) times that Pettersson has "multiple (lmao) 100 pt seasons". Like...what?

You really have trouble with this word "multiple", don't you? 

And let me parse the other part for you - I'm saying the team was on a heater and his 24 pts in 13 games was part of an unsustainable hot streak the team was running. Do you deny that?

I'm not cherry picking 12 games. I'm pointing out his inconsistency, which is exactly what people who value him at over 11m don't seem to want to acknowledge. The real cherry picking is saying you "really don't care" what he's done in the previous 3 seasons prior to last (uh what?), and that only his anomalous 102 pt season counts in his valuation (again, what?). In fact, I think that's the definition of cherry picking.

You've watched enough of Sebastian Aho and done all the number crunching to state for certain that he's an inferior player?

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

5 on 5 points in 2022-2023:

Nathan MacKinnon - 77

Connor McDavid - 75

Elias Pettersson - 68

Jack Hughes - 68

Sidney Crosby - 66

Brayden Point - 65

Leon Draisaitl - 64

Sebastian Aho - 48

Petey was #3 in 5 on 5 scoring for centres last year. Even ahead of Leon Draisaitl. According to your own words, an elite player has to be able to drive play 5 on 5. Is Petey not elite if he is the #3 scoring centre in the NHL at 5 on 5?

Sebastian Aho signed a $9.75 million contract this summer. He had 48 points at 5 on 5 last year. Petey had 68. According to your own metric, Petey is an elite centre who should be getting paid $11 million. 68 points is much much more than 48 right?  

Again, I'm not sure what you think "multiple" means. Why do you keep focusing on the 2022-23 season when it's clearly the outlier?

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've never thought Petey is in the Pastrnak, McKinnon, McDavid, mathews conversation.  He's good for sure but no to double figures. Those other guys are game chamgers that drive a line or a team.  Petey seems to be the benefactor of some highly skilled playmaker.  Hence his high assists totals.  Beware of this.  I'm the camp of trading him if his number will handicap the team.  I mean would you trade petey for Jack Hughes straight up?  I probably would.  Or go the route of top prospects and picks.  Chicago did this very well under scotty bowman.  Trading Ladd, and others before they cashed in to crippling contracts.

• Cheers 2

Just wanted to say I'll be leaving this forum. I had a nice time, but I've realized it's not for me.

Thank you to everyone for letting me be part of the discussion.

I will, of course, be cheering for the team and for Pettersson. I like the player - I just don't think he's worth 11+. If he does get the 11+, I truly hope he proves me wrong and lives up to and exceeds that contract.

After all, I'd give almost anything to see us win a Cup with this core.

Cheers all!!

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Just wanted to say I'll be leaving this forum. I had a nice time, but I've realized it's not for me.

Thank you to everyone for letting me be part of the discussion.

I will, of course, be cheering for the team and for Pettersson. I like the player - I just don't think he's worth 11+. If he does get the 11+, I truly hope he proves me wrong and lives up to and exceeds that contract.

After all, I'd give almost anything to see us win a Cup with this core.

Cheers all!!

7552BB80-A47B-4C88-834A-70A43B363E40.gif.0c864765214372ac293b9a4f2c3299b6.gif

• Haha 4