[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tocchet doesn't want Kuzmenko anywhere near trying to forecheck the other team's best line.  So how can Petey be out there if he is with Kuzmenko?  Mikheyev didn't even have a training camp or preseason, so he was in no way able to handle any defensive duties.  So, Miller's line was the shutdown line on opening night.  They have obviously done a great job as a threesome so Tocchet has kept that line as the shutdown line.

Miller has played well defensively, but at the end of the day Petey is the superior defensive player.  That's all I am trying to say.  You keep saying "Miller" is the guy going head to head against the other teams top line.  It's "Miller's line" that is going head to head.  This is where the confusion lies. 

At the end of the day, Petey and Kuzmenko may not be a fit.  Kuzy is driving down Petey's defensive abilities.  That is a big problem.  He really needs to pick it up or else he may be the guy that gets traded and we re-sign Boeser...

I get what you're trying to say, but this all goes back to what my original comment was and why you replied to me in the first place:

"Given the contracts, I'd easily take Jack Hughes over Petey.  Petey isn't even the guy we use in a matchup role.  That job is Miller's line.  Petey is supposed to just create a ton of offence, defensive ability is a bonus."

So as I reiterated, Petey's line has been tasked to generate offence.  Nothing against Petey himself, but if I could have Jack Hughes (especially at his cap hit), I'd take him over Petey every single day of the week.  Miller's line does the shut down.  Petey's line (or Hughes' line) needs to generate offence, and I think there's a very strong argument that Jack Hughes does it better than Petey.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I get what you're trying to say, but this all goes back to what my original comment was and why you replied to me in the first place:

"Given the contracts, I'd easily take Jack Hughes over Petey.  Petey isn't even the guy we use in a matchup role.  That job is Miller's line.  Petey is supposed to just create a ton of offence, defensive ability is a bonus."

So as I reiterated, Petey's line has been tasked to generate offence.  Nothing against Petey himself, but if I could have Jack Hughes (especially at his cap hit), I'd take him over Petey every single day of the week.  Miller's line does the shut down.  Petey's line (or Hughes' line) needs to generate offence, and I think there's a very strong argument that Jack Hughes does it better than Petey.

If you switch up Petey and Miller and play Petey with Boeser and Di Giuseppe then Petey automatically becomes the shutdown centre.  Tocchet doesn't want to do this however because he doesn't want to screw up the chemistry between Miller and Boeser.

As for jack Hughes, if Miller really is your shutdown guy and Hughes is making $8 million per year, then yeah it could make sense to trade Petey for Jack.  I wouldn't argue about that.  My concern is that Miller isn't really the shutdown centre, and at some point in the future Petey will have to take on that role.  We will see I guess.  The Petey for Jack trade isn't happeninjg though, so it's moot point...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you switch up Petey and Miller and play Petey with Boeser and Di Giuseppe then Petey automatically becomes the shutdown centre.  Tocchet doesn't want to do this however because he doesn't want to screw up the chemistry between Miller and Boeser.

As for jack Hughes, if Miller really is your shutdown guy and Hughes is making $8 million per year, then yeah it could make sense to trade Petey for Jack.  I wouldn't argue about that.  My concern is that Miller isn't really the shutdown centre, and at some point in the future Petey will have to take on that role.  We will see I guess.  The Petey for Jack trade isn't happeninjg though, so it's moot point...

"Automatically becomes the shutdown centre" is a pretty bold statement.  This is Petey's 6th year in the NHL and it has never happened, so until it does, I think Miller is still the guy.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Miller garners Selke votes this year too.

A Miller/Hughes duo would likely be a bigger threat than a Miller/Petey duo... simply because like I said, Miller is the guy for matchups.  All Petey/Hughes needs to do is generate offence.  Hughes is better at that than Petey.

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

Last year is last year,  this year is this year.  Miller is the matchup centre this year. 

Mikheyev is known to be an excellent 2-way player, much better than Boeser or PDG.  So in theory, Petey+Mik should be a much better duo to matchup against other team's than Miller+Boeser or Miller+PDG.  However, that's not the case.  Miller is the guy that goes head to head against the other team's top offensive threats.

I'm not sure what else I can say if you choose to simply ignore advanced stats and facts and simply state that your own eyes is what makes Petey the better defensive centre this year 🤨

Miller took over Horvats role as the shut down unit but with an offense edge.

Have you factored in that the other team wants more defensive shut down guys on Petey and therefor let Miller get the more offence minded players? 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I cannot believe that NJ got Jack to sign for 8M for 8 years. How the hell did that happen? 

34 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

but he's betting on himself! 

I think that is the problem the guy can't handle that pressure. I bet he improves the moment he signs his deal rather than worrying about stats all game. 

Same thing in the all Canadian division year where he was putting extra pressure on himself trying to justify his current contract. 

I hope Petey signs something decent.

Like how can he look at Miller (8m) or Hughes (7.85) in good conscience while he makes 10m+? Until he is an undisputed top player in the league let alone his own team, he should follow the team's cap structure. 

I get that Hughes signed his deal before he broke out but that's why Petey is getting a little more on the next deal

Peteys qualifying offer is 8.8 mill are people really suggesting he's not worth more than an extra million on top of that? Dudes got 34 points in 26 games while not being 100% imo he's earned a significant raise for what he's done/doing rn/will do in the future 

Just now, N7_Gyoza said:

Peteys qualifying offer is 8.8 mill are people really suggesting he's not worth more than an extra million on top of that? Dudes got 34 points in 26 games while not being 100% imo he's earned a significant raise for what he's done/doing rn/will do in the future 

10 mil short term is fair for both sides.

• Cheers 2

On 11/2/2023 at 1:31 AM, stawns said:

Top 20?  He's top 5, at least

Agreed on all counts 

How's Pettersson at least a top 5? There's McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon which no one will argue about. And then Makar, Kucherov probably rounds up the top 5. Then there's Matthews, Hedman, Pastrnak, Rantanen, Panarin. 

11 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

How's Pettersson at least a top 5? There's McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon which no one will argue about. And then Makar, Kucherov probably rounds up the top 5. Then there's Matthews, Hedman, Pastrnak, Rantanen, Panarin. 

Petey is #6 league wide ATM, ahead of McDavid,Draisaitl,Matthews,Rantanen,Hedman,McKinnon 

My point is Petey will be compared to what other teams top players are making not what other canucks are making JT being at 8 

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Petey is #6 league wide ATM, ahead of McDavid,Draisaitl,Matthews,Rantanen,Hedman,McKinnon 

My point is Petey will be compared to what other teams top players are making not what other canucks are making JT being at 8 

I'd put Kucherov on top of Pettersson, that dude is on fire. Consistently including in the playoffs. Actually Quinn Hughes is probably playing better than Pettersson this season. 

Edited by Drakrami

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yup. Last year i might have argued with you... but Petey showing the disappearing act for a 3rd time in his career is enough for me to agree with everything you're saying.

55 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Good thing it's not your opinion that drafts the contracts. 

You cant just cherry pick one stat line and apply it as fact. Everyone can see by the eye test that the stat line isn't representative of his actual on ice performance

He also has only 10 points in his last 13 games (4 coming in the last 2) 64 pt pace.

So a stretch of 10 games where he had 6 points, and 2 of those assists were faceoff wins. (50pt pace barely)

So which Petey are you paying? If you're the one paying the bills youre going to take the low number. Obviously the team is taking their time evaluating him.

His poor play is actually playing him off the team. Canucks wont offer him what he thinks he is worth, and he wont stick around for that.

39 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

I would take any one of those players in a straight up trade for Petey. Except maybe Hedman unless he was 3 years younger.

11 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I would take any one of those players in a straight up trade for Petey. Except maybe Hedman unless he was 3 years younger.

This is my list...

Value Above Pettersson (taking into account contract value)

Makar

MacKinnon

McDavid

Matthews

Pastrnak

Kucherov

J Hughes

Q Hughes

Miller

Draisaitl

Panarin

Bedard

As of this moment, 1-for-1, I'd take any of these guys over Petey. 

Relatively On Par in Value (again taking into account contract value)

Rantanen

Point

Marner

Nylander

Connor

Eichel

Reinhart

Hedman

Stutzle

Larkin

Barzal

Robertson

... several others

As of this moment, 1-for-1, we likely wouldn't be any worse off if we had one of these guys instead of Petey.  Notice that almost all of them make less than $10M AAV.  Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Elias was kidding himself if he thinks he’s worth anything more than $9M a season. 

Yup. In his sheer arrogance he bet on himself, and when things turned sideways after his hot start this year, his lack of mental toughness took over, and now he's once again battling against himself.

Nothing new here, this is our Petey....and as @24K said, I too believe the pressure gets to him, and when it does he folds the tent....and I also believe this year was "Petey's Year" where he was gonna pull a BoHo and maybe thought he could pad the stats to get the big payday 

I hope EP refuse to sign any long term contract take his QO and leave this sh!thole city and their fan base. I’m sure plenty of teams would gladly take him. If EPs job is to create offence while millers job is shutdown.. then why is your 2 most offensive defenceman is playing with miller and the more defensive defenceman cole is playing with EP?

The moment you go in a slump may or may not be injury related the bandwagoner will come out with their pitch fork and trash you every opportunity they get. Too bad ep doesn’t read the forums. He should see quick the fan turns on their player. QH prolly would follow suit and play out his contract once EP leaves and we go on a full blown rebuild lol unless he thinks by the time miller is 34-35 he’s still carrying the team. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

This is my list...

Value Above Pettersson (taking into account contract value)

Makar

MacKinnon

McDavid

Matthews

Pastrnak

Kucherov

J Hughes

Q Hughes

Miller

Draisaitl

Panarin

Bedard

As of this moment, 1-for-1, I'd take any of these guys over Petey. 

Relatively On Par in Value (again taking into account contract value)

Rantanen

Point

Marner

Nylander

Connor

Eichel

Reinhart

Hedman

Stutzle

Larkin

Barzal

Robertson

... several others

As of this moment, 1-for-1, we likely wouldn't be any worse off if we had one of these guys instead of Petey.  Notice that almost all of them make less than $10M AAV.  Just saying.

Thats a really well thought out list. Cant find anything to disagree with there!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I hope EP refuse to sign any long term contract take his QO and leave this sh!thole city and their fan base. I’m sure plenty of teams would gladly take him. If EPs job is to create offence while millers job is shutdown.. then why is your 2 most offensive defenceman is playing with miller and the more defensive defenceman cole is playing with EP?

The moment you go in a slump may or may not be injury related the bandwagoner will come out with their pitch fork and trash you every opportunity they get. Too bad ep doesn’t read the forums. He should see quick the fan turns on their player. QH prolly would follow suit and play out his contract once EP leaves and we go on a full blown rebuild lol unless he thinks by the time miller is 34-35 he’s still carrying the team. 

Lol, you do realize the hypocrisy in your post right?

You being angry at the fanbase for turning on Petey is the same as you turning on all of cdc because you don't like what they're posting.

You think edmonton fans werent freaking out at the start of the year when McDavid was playing like shit?

You think Calgary fans haven't been giving it to Huberdeau and Kadri since they got there?

If you don't want fans to say anything negative and just be yes people youre dreaming.

Petey deserves a lot of the tough love he is getting right now. 

• Like 1