[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I've said this before but when we got Toch I feared that Kuz and EP would struggle sooner or later under him.

I dont want to be right.

Yeah I don't see how Kuz gets out of this while Tocchet is around.  EP might find a way since he's defensively aware anyways.  Kuz would be best off moved, but his value is so low now.

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah I don't see how Kuz gets out of this while Tocchet is around.  EP might find a way since he's defensively aware anyways.  Kuz would be best off moved, but his value is so low now.

Thats pretty much my feeling.

I would think EP should be ok, but will he wnat to stay? will we offer what he could get elsewhere.... 

There are a few bumps in the road forming ahead.

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is the Canuck way tho...Kuz was NEVER going to replicate last years shooting %, the team should have known that and really should have either offered a 1 yr deal to him to say prove it again at a lower cap hit or traded him last TDL where we could have probably got a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect for him. Now Kuz has negative value with an additional year on his deal.

Maybe we get an okay return if we retain slightly or take a bad deal back...what would Washington add to Mantha!?!? They like their Russians and just scratched the problematic Kuznetsov

On 12/4/2023 at 8:04 PM, Alflives said:

Actually Quinn Hughes is the best of the bunch. Then Petey. Then Jack. Luke is a dough head. 

Change of mind yet Alf? Jack is much better he’s just a bandaid and I see a Marian gaborik Martin havlat type career for him in that regard, off to scoring lead starts the plagued with injury 20-40 games into the season 

2 hours ago, Viking said:

This is the Canuck way tho...Kuz was NEVER going to replicate last years shooting %, the team should have known that and really should have either offered a 1 yr deal to him to say prove it again at a lower cap hit or traded him last TDL where we could have probably got a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect for him. Now Kuz has negative value with an additional year on his deal.

Maybe we get an okay return if we retain slightly or take a bad deal back...what would Washington add to Mantha!?!? They like their Russians and just scratched the problematic Kuznetsov

The problem with giving up on/trading Kuzmenko is that it puts a lot of pressure on management to then add another top 6 winger. A return for Kuzmenko is likely to be another underperforming player or futures. Unless St Louis is willing to entertain something like Kuzmenko + a 2nd for Buchnevich, I think getting another top 6 winger in return is very unlikely without Kuzmenko starting to pot some goals. As good as Petey can be he's still not a one-man line like Crosby was in his prime where you could just stick whoever with him.

Also I don't think free agency is the way to go to find a top 6 winger this summer. Nylander and Guentzel will both cost too much if they make it and would make it so we can't bring in another top 4 defenseman. Then after those two the options are either getting old (like Eberle or Duchene) or are just borderline 2nd line players (like Mantha). Of course you can always try your luck with a potential locker room cancer in Tyler Bertuzzi or try running it back with Tyler Toffoli. The best potential free agent option might be Jake DeBrusk even though his scoring is down a bit this year.

Edited by Diamonds

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The problem with giving up on/trading Kuzmenko is that it puts a lot of pressure on management to then add another top 6 winger. A return for Kuzmenko is likely to be another underperforming player or futures. Unless St Louis is willing to entertain something like Kuzmenko + a 2nd for Buchnevich, I think getting another top 6 winger in return is very unlikely without Kuzmenko starting to pot some goals. As good as Petey can be he's still not a one-man line like Crosby was in his prime where you could just stick whoever with him.

Also I don't think free agency is the way to go to find a top 6 winger this summer. Nylander and Guentzel will both cost too much if they make it and would make it so we can't bring in another top 4 defenseman. Then after those two the options are either getting old (like Eberle or Duchene) or are just borderline 2nd line players (like Mantha). Of course you can always try your luck with a potential locker room cancer in Tyler Bertuzzi or try running it back with Tyler Toffoli. The best potential free agent option might be Jake DeBrusk even though his scoring is down a bit this year.

I mean, the pressure to add a top 6 player is there regardless if we trade Kuzy or not. He's not playing at a top 6 level or even being played as a top 6 guy right now. Even got removed from the 1st unit powerplay. I'd even argue Mikheyev is also kinda not playing that great. Removing Kuzy at least gives us the cap flexibility to add someone that actually fits the style of coaching that Tocchet uses. He doesn't play hard enough and is a non existent forechecker. Hell, even Boeser added forechecking. And this fanbase claims he can't skate for shit. Boeser has 18 goals, that entire 1st line has 22. Something has to change. And if we're not gonna cut ties with Petey and I think management likes Mik's size and speed. Kuzy is the odd man out. Cause right now he lost his spot to Lafferty. Guy we picked up for a 5th round pick.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I mean, the pressure to add a top 6 player is there regardless if we trade Kuzy or not. He's not playing at a top 6 level or even being played as a top 6 guy right now. Even got removed from the 1st unit powerplay. I'd even argue Mikheyev is also kinda not playing that great. Removing Kuzy at least gives us the cap flexibility to add someone that actually fits the style of coaching that Tocchet uses. He doesn't play hard enough and is a non existent forechecker. Hell, even Boeser added forechecking. And this fanbase claims he can't skate for shit. Boeser has 18 goals, that entire 1st line has 22. Something has to change. And if we're not gonna cut ties with Petey and I think management likes Mik's size and speed. Kuzy is the odd man out. Cause right now he lost his spot to Lafferty. Guy we picked up for a 5th round pick.

The tape on Kuz's season last year will get some serious offers. His 200' game might not work for RT but other teams with different makeups will look at 39 goals and dolly up. Kuz on the half wall during PP is fun to watch. He handles and distributes the puck well. He has a lethal shot but lacks the confidence to use it right now. PA is likely listening to offers. Trading Kuz will free up CAP and open a spot for some games by Abby players to see how they do. At some point I would like to see Bains get some games. Move Hogs into the top 6 and bring Bains up for a look. 

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I hope EP refuse to sign any long term contract take his QO and leave this sh!thole city and their fan base. I’m sure plenty of teams would gladly take him. If EPs job is to create offence while millers job is shutdown.. then why is your 2 most offensive defenceman is playing with miller and the more defensive defenceman cole is playing with EP?

The moment you go in a slump may or may not be injury related the bandwagoner will come out with their pitch fork and trash you every opportunity they get. Too bad ep doesn’t read the forums. He should see quick the fan turns on their player. QH prolly would follow suit and play out his contract once EP leaves and we go on a full blown rebuild lol unless he thinks by the time miller is 34-35 he’s still carrying the team. 

Lol?

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The tape on Kuz's season last year will get some serious offers. His 200' game might not work for RT but other teams with different makeups will look at 39 goals and dolly up. Kuz on the half wall during PP is fun to watch. He handles and distributes the puck well. He has a lethal shot but lacks the confidence to use it right now. PA is likely listening to offers. Trading Kuz will free up CAP and open a spot for some games by Abby players to see how they do. At some point I would like to see Bains get some games. Move Hogs into the top 6 and bring Bains up for a look. 

This kind of thing happens every time a team has a major coaching change. So this time it looks like Kuzy might not be able to adjust, it is what it is. I don't think it's personal.

It would make room for Petey to sign a long term deal, and get so e futures back.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I hope EP refuse to sign any long term contract take his QO and leave this sh!thole city and their fan base. I’m sure plenty of teams would gladly take him. If EPs job is to create offence while millers job is shutdown.. then why is your 2 most offensive defenceman is playing with miller and the more defensive defenceman cole is playing with EP?

The moment you go in a slump may or may not be injury related the bandwagoner will come out with their pitch fork and trash you every opportunity they get. Too bad ep doesn’t read the forums. He should see quick the fan turns on their player. QH prolly would follow suit and play out his contract once EP leaves and we go on a full blown rebuild lol unless he thinks by the time miller is 34-35 he’s still carrying the team. 

you mad GIF

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think it's a mistake to judge the entire Canucks fan base by what you read on this board.  The fans

here tend to be far more fanatical about the team than the average Canuck fan on the streets.

People on this forum, as well as the folks that call up the sports talk shows, are not the norm.  They

tend to be far more passionate (emotionally charged), which can ramp up when the team starts

to backslide.  It's all or nothing for some people.  I don't think this is unique to Vancouver though.

I do agree with your statement regarding the top d pairing  (especially Hughes) are playing most

of their minutes with the Miller line.  I actually think this has a big part in the drop in Pete and

Kuzy's offensive numbers.  The team still has a few holes that need to be taken care of; especially

a top 4 RD, a gritty top 6 FW for Pete's line.

I'm sure that part of the training for prospects and rookies is adjusting to a passionate fan base

and step one in to never read fan forums or listen to sports shows. Self-preservation is the main

focus.  It's just part of the game and I don't see Vancouver being exclusive to this either.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Lol?

lol? is it not true? the amount of EP flaming in the last couple of weeks, the amount of EP flaming the 1st half 2 seasons ago including the summer when he and hughes held out till almost the start of the season.. name me one star player in this league the past 2 seasons that have played fewer mins with the other top players on his team than EP 5v5? EP is the only player in the league that i can think of where he doesn't play with the best players on their team majority of the time 5v5 whether it's forward or defence. best players on the canucks? miller hronek or hughes.. Miller same position so can't do anything about that.. Hughes/Hronek? nah we'll stack them together so you can play with cole soucy myers and whomever. EP struggles in the recent weeks is predictable because we are playing much better teams now compared to the beginning of the season. Millers line is against other teams "top line".. EP's line is against other teams "top" shutdown line/defenceman.. is it that hard to predict EP will struggle given kuzmenko been struggling since the beginning of the season because Tochette wants to turn him into a defensive forward where to the point where he's tentative of trying anything in the offensive zone worrying he'll turn the puck over and get benched. is it that hard to notice.. the only time EP have any offensive opportunity is when Hughes and Hronek is on the ice with him the limited amount of times per game? again prove me wrong. EP entered the season as the top player on the team yet he's the only top player in the league that doesn't have priority playing with the best player on his team ie hughes.. people just expect him to be able to do everything by himself.. do you think players like Mackinnon would be as good if they take away rantanen makar from him 5v5? you think Kucherov will still be top of the league if he's not playing with point and stamkos and hedman 5v5 and just rely on the PP?

• ThereItIs 1

Hey Petey I'm sure you won't read this but maybe if I put it out there somehow you will hear about it.

So here goes.

Get a deal done.  Stop dragging it out and sign something.  It's not a good look for you to be a prima donna right now. Sign a reasonable deal short or long and get back to playing hockey and not focusing on money.

Period.

• Like 1

So if you're the Canucks management and Allvin, and you believe in Petey as a player, then surely you've gotta be looking at locking in Petey now as his value has dipped due to his slump.

If you're Petey, you probably don't want to do that now for the same reasons mentioned above.

So what does that lead to?  Remember that Petey is an RFA.  His qualifying offer is $8.82M.  If Petey continues to stumble for a large chunk of this season, I could see a very realistic scenario where Petey's camp wants too much, Allvin's camp wants too little, and so Petey takes the qualifying offer or goes to arbitration to take a 1 year deal.  What happens then is that Petey will have the edge in negotiations next year as he will be a pending UFA.  Ugly scenario, but very plausible.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

He is not a top tier 1C. He does not deserve more than Quinn Hughes. If he demands more, trade his ass. 

A 100 point two way centre who’s trending for a second 100 point season is not a #1 centre?  If so, what exactly is a #1 centre?  

Bo Horvat makes $8.5 million. Are you saying Petey isn’t even worth more than Horvat? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So if you're the Canucks management and Allvin, and you believe in Petey as a player, then surely you've gotta be looking at locking in Petey now as his value has dipped due to his slump.

If you're Petey, you probably don't want to do that now for the same reasons mentioned above.

So what does that lead to?  Remember that Petey is an RFA.  His qualifying offer is $8.82M.  If Petey continues to stumble for a large chunk of this season, I could see a very realistic scenario where Petey's camp wants too much, Allvin's camp wants too little, and so Petey takes the qualifying offer or goes to arbitration to take a 1 year deal.  What happens then is that Petey will have the edge in negotiations next year as he will be a pending UFA.  Ugly scenario, but very plausible.

You could say the same thing about Filip Hronek.  Is he also going to sign his qualifying offer and walk to free agency? 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 100 point two way centre who’s trending for a second 100 point season is not a #1 centre?  If so, what exactly is a #1 centre?  

Bo Horvat makes $8.5 million. Are you saying Petey isn’t even worth more than Horvat? 

He is a whiny little bitch who can’t carry a line, never mind the team. He looks butthurt about something 24/7. There is a reason he wasn’t named captain and a reason he isn’t being given a blank cheque. He will be utterly dominated in a playoff series against a hard checking team.
He is a good player, there is no doubt about that but he doesn’t take a game over like the truly elite 1C in the league. 

• Confused 1

Ok, this won't be a popular post, but I have to say it. I'm quickly going towards trading Petey. The guy looks like Bambi on ice lately. He falls down almost every shift, makes poor decisions with the puck, rarely shoots on the power play, is even worse on face-offs from last season. At this moment, he has become more of a liability. Sure, he makes a few defensive plays, tries to take the body, which looks more like he's going to hurt himself. 

If he's looking for anything more than $7.5 m, then trade him. The way he's played over the past few weeks, he's not worth more than that. I would rather see him traded for a player with a lower cap hit with term. I don't know why his skating has gone to shit, but he's becoming Mason Raymond 2.0. If this play continues, I hope that the team really evaluates what is really necessary to get done. Kuz looks like he is at least giving an effort on most of his shifts. Trade Petey now before he either gets himself hurt with the awkward hits or declines more than he is already trending towards. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You could say the same thing about Filip Hronek.  Is he also going to sign his qualifying offer and walk to free agency? 

I'd say Hronek has been a much more consistent player this season than Petey.  To be honest, Hronek is probably more important to this club right now than Petey.  Top pairing RHD... the most difficult position to fill in the entire NHL... yes, even more so than a 1C.