[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

9 minutes ago, CanuckInOntario said:

Ok, this won't be a popular post, but I have to say it. I'm quickly going towards trading Petey. The guy looks like Bambi on ice lately. He falls down almost every shift, makes poor decisions with the puck, rarely shoots on the power play, is even worse on face-offs from last season. At this moment, he has become more of a liability. Sure, he makes a few defensive plays, tries to take the body, which looks more like he's going to hurt himself. 

If he's looking for anything more than $7.5 m, then trade him. The way he's played over the past few weeks, he's not worth more than that. I would rather see him traded for a player with a lower cap hit with term. I don't know why his skating has gone to shit, but he's becoming Mason Raymond 2.0. If this play continues, I hope that the team really evaluates what is really necessary to get done. Kuz looks like he is at least giving an effort on most of his shifts. Trade Petey now before he either gets himself hurt with the awkward hits or declines more than he is already trending towards. 

I agree, he is playing so poorly that he is actually bringing down Mikheyev with him. He does not make the players around him better. 

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 100 point two way centre who’s trending for a second 100 point season is not a #1 centre?  If so, what exactly is a #1 centre?  

Bo Horvat makes $8.5 million. Are you saying Petey isn’t even worth more than Horvat? 

Petey has 10 points in his last 14 games.  That's a 58 point pace.

The Canucks have played 27 games, so we're at a point now where we can factually state that more than half of this season, Petey has been a 58 point player.  The worrisome part is that it's the most recent stretch too.  Perhaps he is injured, but this trend has been happening every season he has played as a Canuck.  I think that's the part that worries most of us.  This isn't a one-off situation.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Canucks have played 27 games, so we're at a point now where we can factually state that more than half of this season, Petey has been a 58 point player.  The worrisome part is that it's the most recent stretch too.  Perhaps he is injured, but this trend has been happening every season he has played as a Canuck.  I think that's the part that worries most of us.  This isn't a one-off situation.

Exactly. Regardless of whether you think he is a 100pt player or a 60pt player, both sides have to agree that he is trending in the wrong direction.  He is also showing no signs that this is going to turn around or that he's just been unlucky.

Of those 10pts you mentioned,  2 of them were face off win 2nd assists. So the stats look even worse if you consider true offensive contribution.

You're also correct, this is the 3rd time Petey has had a major slump. 

I think Petey at anything below $9m is great on a short term deal. $8.9m for 3 years. 

If he wants more you've got to consider moving him. You just have to.

No way I'd commit to Petey long-term for big dollars right now. His play is amazing for stretches, but then he has lengthy periods where he looks unmotivated or injured. To me, right now, he mostly just looks unhappy. I wish I knew why.

Because he's shown he can be a dominant top-5 player in the league at times, he's still going to get a decent payday. I'd probably do 3x10 max, to minimize the risk if he spends half his contract playing mediocre hockey.

Edited by Strawbone

52 minutes ago, CanuckInOntario said:

Ok, this won't be a popular post, but I have to say it. I'm quickly going towards trading Petey. The guy looks like Bambi on ice lately. He falls down almost every shift, makes poor decisions with the puck, rarely shoots on the power play, is even worse on face-offs from last season. At this moment, he has become more of a liability. Sure, he makes a few defensive plays, tries to take the body, which looks more like he's going to hurt himself. 

If he's looking for anything more than $7.5 m, then trade him. The way he's played over the past few weeks, he's not worth more than that. I would rather see him traded for a player with a lower cap hit with term. I don't know why his skating has gone to shit, but he's becoming Mason Raymond 2.0. If this play continues, I hope that the team really evaluates what is really necessary to get done. Kuz looks like he is at least giving an effort on most of his shifts. Trade Petey now before he either gets himself hurt with the awkward hits or declines more than he is already trending towards. 

IMG_0288.gif

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I’m sorry but you can’t cherry pick one point in a season and say this player or that player is only as good as that one point. According to your logic, Horvat is a 147 point player based on his last few games. 

Just like Conor McDavid can turn it on so can Petey. We’ve seen this before and we will see it again.  

• Upvote 1

Petey's not any better than Miller who's making $8, but he likely has more upside. 

$9.5 x 4

NTC in years 1-3

M-NTC in his final year

If Petey gets into the playoffs and does some damage, then he gets extended.

If he gets to the playoffs and disappears and gets physically dominated - G'bye 

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m sorry but you can’t cherry pick one point in a season and say this player or that player is only as good as that one point. According to your logic, Horvat is a 147 point player based on his last few games. 

Just like Conor McDavid can turn it on so can Petey. We’ve seen this before and we will see it again.  

This isn't the first time Petey has slumped in a season.  IF it was, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  When it happens year after year, that basically translates to Petey being a streaky player.  Not what I want in a 1C.

Please, please, please stop comparing Petey with Mcdavid.  They're nowhere near the same.  McDavid is a bonafide generational talent likely to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.  Period.  I've said it before, it wouldn't surprise anyone if McDavid burns past everybody and wins the Art Ross by season's end.

46 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This isn't the first time Petey has slumped in a season.  IF it was, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  When it happens year after year, that basically translates to Petey being a streaky player.  Not what I want in a 1C.

Please, please, please stop comparing Petey with Mcdavid.  They're nowhere near the same.  McDavid is a bonafide generational talent likely to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.  Period.  I've said it before, it wouldn't surprise anyone if McDavid burns past everybody and wins the Art Ross by season's end.

I didn’t compare Petey to McDavid. I said he was in a slump and now is burning the league. Petey has shown to do the same thing. You are trying to project a player based on 14 games. 

I really don’t care what he’s done the last 14 games. I’m not triggered like everyone else who thinks he’s a $7.5 million player now. We already went through this bullshit a couple of years ago when posters wanted to send Petey to the AHL. 

I don’t think this fanbase deserves Petey. Or even Hughes. There is a reason Vancouver has never won a cup. The fanbase in this city is horrific. Same with the parasites in the media. Which is probably why Petey may not want to stick around. And I don’t blame him. I can see Hughes getting out of this shitshow as well. As soon as his agent pulls the same thing as he is doing with Petey, the fans will also turn on Hughes. 

I remember the fanbase turning on Bure as well. And Linden. And Naslund. And Bertuzzi.  And Luongo. Same shit different year. Nothing ever changes in Vancouver. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn’t compare Petey to McDavid. I said he was in a slump and now is burning the league. Petey has shown to do the same thing. You are trying to project a player based on 14 games. 

I really don’t care what he’s done the last 14 games. I’m not triggered like everyone else who thinks he’s a $7.5 million player now. We already went through this bullshit a couple of years ago when posters wanted to send Petey to the AHL. 

I don’t think this fanbase deserves Petey. Or even Hughes. There is a reason Vancouver has never won a cup. The fanbase in this city is horrific. Same with the parasites in the media. Which is probably why Petey may not want to stick around. And I don’t blame him. I can see Hughes getting out of this shitshow as well. As soon as his agent pulls the same thing as he is doing with Petey, the fans will also turn on Hughes. 

I remember the fanbase turning on Bure as well. And Linden. And Naslund. And Bertuzzi.  And Luongo. Same shit different year. Nothing ever changes in Vancouver. 

You literally compared him to McDavid:  "Just like Conor McDavid...."    Anyways, doesn't matter.  I think we can both agree, McDavid is McDavid.  No player in the league compares.

I'm not projecting off 14 games.  I'm projecting off the most recent 14 games (more than half of this season), and the pattern that has emerged over several seasons.  Petey gets on a hot streak, then fades/slumps, then another streak, then fades.  He's a streaky player.  Not a consistent one.

I never said he's worth $7.5M.  I think he's still in the $10M range because his hot streaks are elite.  It's why he's still among the top scorers in the league.  I just don't like the idea of locking into a streaky player and having him be the top paid player on the team.

For the record, I never turned on Bure (he was my favourite player of all time), or Linden, or Nazzy, or Bertuzzi, or even Luongo.  Nobody will turn on Hughes if he continues playing like he has been since he arrived in this league.  The issue that fans here are having is Petey's play on the ice.  There's no sugar coating it.  The past month, he has sucked.  If Petey continued his play from the 1st 13 games of this season for these past 14 games, NOBODY would be complaining.  In fact, if you go back and read people's comments, most were saying we need to just give him a blank cheque and get er done.  It's Petey's play that is driving all this.  Nothing else.

• Upvote 1

Even in his rookie year, Pettersson was good for a month and a half and hung on for the rest of the season to eke out a Calder win. same this season they got two good weeks out of him so far. Pettersson is on pace to take a pay CUT if he keeps on the way he has the past month, Petey's fanboys are too funny, they want to pay Petey, so badly,12-14m. a session. That kind of foolish thinking will get this team into the kind of lopsided and unproductive salary structure that sunk Edmonton and Toronto's chances to win a cup in the next five years and it's unacceptable, but Francesco loves you, his family got rich off guys like those fanboys. Think about that for a while and try not to be so gullible.

I think its important to remember that his struggles usually coincide with injuries or in the case a couple years back without a training camp..  i would say he is most likely playing through some type of injury that makes it hard for him to have his quickness or stability ( who knows ). He has proven to be a fantastic player with outstanding upside!  I cant believe people want to trade him or offer him less money, feeling he should sign,  because of a 15 game stretch! 

it doesnt mean overpay him however!  

Edited by Cocanuck

21 hours ago, LaBamba said:

He is not a top tier 1C. He does not deserve more than Quinn Hughes. If he demands more, trade his ass. 

I'm sure they are looking at all options, they have to.

I doubt Allvin really wants to take this beyond the next draft.

I'd like to see him get off the pot and make a decision. Not sure what he's waiting for. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Strawbone said:

To me, right now, he mostly just looks unhappy.

If the team wasn't doing well, I can see how he would be unhappy. But the team is 17-9-1. They're better than most of the teams in the league at this moment of the season. The only reason I can see him being unhappy is personal, or it's contractual. 

He's got to prove his worth. If Pettersson is too egocentric, and it's all about him, then I agree that we may have to move him. Paying a player 11M, when they don't deserve that amount of money is just setting this team for disaster. I'm not saying that Elias isn't a good player, he most definitely is. But what worries me is that his ego seems to think he belongs in the upper echelon of players, when he's not there yet

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure what he's waiting for. 

Seems to me like he's just indecisive. There's an organization that's willing to give you a ton shit of money, and you're waiting for what exactly?

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If the team wasn't doing well, I can see how he would be unhappy. But the team is 17-9-1. They're better than most of the teams in the league at this moment of the season. The only reason I can see him being unhappy is personal, or it's contractual. 

He's got to prove his worth. If Pettersson is too egocentric, and it's all about him, then I agree that we may have to move him. Paying a player 11M, when they don't deserve that amount of money is just setting this team for disaster. I'm not saying that Elias isn't a good player, he most definitely is. But what worries me is that his ego seems to think he belongs in the upper echelon of players, when he's not there yet

I think that is the one thing that bothers me the most about Petey, the team is doing well but he looks unhappy still.

17 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

I think that is the one thing that bothers me the most about Petey, the team is doing well but he looks unhappy still.

This is just idle speculation, but he looks like he could be suffering from depression. It’s pretty common especially with these dark winter days. I’ve been there and your life can be going objectively pretty great  but you still don’t feel any satisfaction. Certainly something that can be worked through. I could be way off base of course!

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

He's got to prove his worth. If Pettersson is too egocentric, and it's all about him, then I agree that we may have to move him. Paying a player 11M, when they don't deserve that amount of money is just setting this team for disaster. I'm not saying that Elias isn't a good player, he most definitely is. But what worries me is that his ego seems to think he belongs in the upper echelon of players, when he's not there yet. 

I think this is a growing theme among a lot of fans.  There's no way of pinning all of this on EP, as it

is completely derived from fan assumptions.  I have never read anything or seen him declare something

that indicates he is egotistical, wants $11m, or thinks he belongs in the upper echelon of players.

His biggest mistake was stating to an oversensitive fan base, that he wants to be a part of a SC

contending team.  Astonishing!  It would worry me more if he didn't care about winning a SC.

In reality, Pete is probably very frustrated with his game, despite all the work he did during the offseason

to improve his complete game. 

I think the real problem is that the Canucks are utilizing their best offensive dmen mostly on the Miller

line; leaving the dregs for Pete's line.  This slows down the speed and timing of the offensive game,

as well as, the lack of skills/IQ to produce points.

Imo, the Canucks need an offensive RD as we have more than enough defensive guys.  I would love to

see Pete's line moving their feet and making quick, clean passes.  Might even help out Kuzy's game.