[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

2 minutes ago, old guy said:

It just seems to me that EP doesn't want to be here. I think that is what's holding everything up contract-wise.

jmho.

its easy to infer that for sure. He really could just be unsure of term length, and thats fair.

Just makes me appreciate Miller and his willingness to be here long term. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, after their 5th Grouse Grind of the day 😁

There actually used to be a Swedish bakery in Kits they would frequent somewhat regularly. It was probably frequented on the way back from a Grouse Grind session...

• Vintage 1

On 12/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, old guy said:

It just seems to me that EP doesn't want to be here. I think that is what's holding everything up contract-wise.

jmho.

That’s fine, so which cup contending team can pay him $13M a year? Does he wanna go to rebuilding team with uncertain future? Guys put off marriage for a few years then resign to the fact that they have to marry their common law partner. Pettersson is going through this delay period this last period of freedom before his long term commitment.

Edited by Maddogy

27 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

That’s fine, so which cup contending team can pay him $13M a year? Does he wanna go to rebuilding team with uncertain future? Guys put off marriage for a few years then resign to the fact that they have to marry their common law partner. Pettersson is going through this delay period this last period of freedom before his long term commitment.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, old guy said:

jmho.

He's just Swedish.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's just Swedish.

Thats about it, the player has said he likes being in Vancouver, wants to win in Vancouver and is enjoying early season success in Vancouver. There is no rush on either side here. I have concerns about his health for a 10 or so game stretch which he appears to be getting out of now, but that doesn't affect the next contract he will be signing. Zero concern about a new deal getting done or that the player is unhappy here.

• Cheers 1

On 12/9/2023 at 11:01 AM, higgyfan said:

I think this is a growing theme among a lot of fans.  There's no way of pinning all of this on EP, as it

is completely derived from fan assumptions.  I have never read anything or seen him declare something

that indicates he is egotistical, wants $11m, or thinks he belongs in the upper echelon of players.

His biggest mistake was stating to an oversensitive fan base, that he wants to be a part of a SC

contending team.  Astonishing!  It would worry me more if he didn't care about winning a SC.

In reality, Pete is probably very frustrated with his game, despite all the work he did during the offseason

to improve his complete game. 

I think the real problem is that the Canucks are utilizing their best offensive dmen mostly on the Miller

line; leaving the dregs for Pete's line.  This slows down the speed and timing of the offensive game,

as well as, the lack of skills/IQ to produce points.

Imo, the Canucks need an offensive RD as we have more than enough defensive guys.  I would love to

see Pete's line moving their feet and making quick, clean passes.  Might even help out Kuzy's game.

i've said that many times.. but people thinks EP should be like mcdavid and do everything by himself.. they put whatever's leftover on his line 5v5 vs other teams top shutdown line and expect him to dominate every game. . while Miller gets the benefit of 2 ppg offensive defenceman on his line 99% of the time.. 1 QH is prolly better than all 4 other players on the ice with EP.. and Hronek is prolly better than 3 of them.. tbh if Miller is the top shutdown line.. then he should have the more defensive defenceman on his line.. QH/Hronek play 5v5 have fallen off a cliff advance stat wise... QH now have a higher expected goals against than he does expected goals for.. the good teams are figuring out how to exploit the 2 offense first defenceman.. it only make sense if your supposively scoring line is playing with the best offensive players?? and your supposively top shutdown line is playing with your best defensive players?? hughes/hronek>>cole/myers/soucy/zadaorov offensively.. defensively prolly the other way around with couple of them about or equal.. QH have more goals against than goals scored 5v5 against teams that are currently occupying a playoff spot since the start of november.. perhaps it's time to take him off the "shutdown" line and put him on the "scoring" line and balance the defence out.

19 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Petey 9.99m per year max. And that still makes me uncomfortable because he shouldn't be making that much more than Millsey, and definitely shouldn't make that much more than me. 

Neither Miller nor Hughes are contract comparable players for Pettersson. Miller was 5 years older at the start of his contract than Petey will be this summer with most thinking his 99 point season was a career year and Hughes signed three years ago in a flat cap world and following a sophomore season in which he looked quite bad defensively despite still having good offensive production. If Hughes continues playing the way he is this year for the next couple years he's probably in line for a 13M/year contract. Hughes will also be directly tied to Makar for his next contract as they are both expiring the same year which could make negotiations very interesting.

36 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Petey 9.99m per year max. And that still makes me uncomfortable because he shouldn't be making that much more than Millsey, and definitely shouldn't make that much more than me. 

You're Quinn Hughes? Wow. Solid season so far, buds. 

Can I borrow $500,000? 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Maddogy said:

sounds like commitment issues to me. lol 

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

12 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thats about it, the player has said he likes being in Vancouver, wants to win in Vancouver and is enjoying early season success in Vancouver. There is no rush on either side here. I have concerns about his health for a 10 or so game stretch which he appears to be getting out of now, but that doesn't affect the next contract he will be signing. Zero concern about a new deal getting done or that the player is unhappy here.

I think the team makes an announcement around Christmas Day. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Captain Hughes said:

Honestly I think it should be 8m max. Anymore than that is just being selfish and going to hamstring the team. He’s healthy, and people need to stop making excuses for him when he’s not at the top of his game. At this point I don’t see how he deserves significantly more than Hughes and Miller. If he really wants to really hold out then trade him for a big return.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If management can convince Petey to sign below 10M that would be fantastic. The trickle down effect of Petey signing for 9.5M-10M rather than 10.5M-11.5M could be the difference of having Suter/Blueger centering the 3rd line versus Sheldon Dries centering the 3rd line.

I really dont get why everyone thinks Petey is worth more than JT. I mean, Brock was a crazy rookie who did everything too and it took how many years to mature?

Jeez if we pay him over 8.5 it will be an albratar around his neck with the pressure to earn that shit.

29 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

If management can convince Petey to sign below 10M that would be fantastic. The trickle down effect of Petey signing for 9.5M-10M rather than 10.5M-11.5M could be the difference of having Suter/Blueger centering the 3rd line versus Sheldon Dries centering the 3rd line.

Cant have pie and eat it

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

I really dont get why everyone thinks Petey is worth more than JT. I mean, Brock was a crazy rookie who did everything too and it took how many years to mature?

Jeez if we pay him over 8.5 it will be an albratar around his neck with the pressure to earn that shit.

JT's contract takes in to consideration that age related decline will likely take place the last few years. We'll be signing Petey through his entire prime and basically no RFA or declining years to offset that.

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

JT's contract takes in to consideration that age related decline will likely take place the last few years. We'll be signing Petey through his entire prime and basically no RFA or declining years to offset that.

Yup. Which is why Petey signs for 9.5 x 4.