[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

JT's contract takes in to consideration that age related decline will likely take place the last few years. We'll be signing Petey through his entire prime and basically no RFA or declining years to offset that.

Well maybe Petey needs another "bridge deal" while we win a cup. Or several cups. Then we can call him a superstar or whatever. I mean, the team is close to perfect right now. We need to re-sign a bunch of guys, all the way down to the minors.

You all talk about Cap coming off the expiring contracts but shouldnt we be re-signing them as well? even with a pay cut? 

We have OEL penalty coming and we need to keep the current team for a few more years.

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Well maybe Petey needs another "bridge deal" while we win a cup. Or several cups. Then we can call him a superstar or whatever. I mean, the team is close to perfect right now. We need to re-sign a bunch of guys, all the way down to the minors.

You all talk about Cap coming off the expiring contracts but shouldnt we be re-signing them as well? even with a pay cut? 

We have OEL penalty coming and we need to keep the current team for a few more years.

Maybe? But instead of say 8 X ~$11-something it might be 4 years at ~$10 and another 4+ years at $12-$14. Other than the last few years of flat, pandemic cap, you're always better off long term, signing your stars to...long terms.

The cap is also reportedly going up ~$4m. And no, we don't need to re-sign a bunch of those guys. Zadorov basically replaces Cole next year and we need someone probably closer to $4-$5 (Tanev?, trade?) to replace Myers, which actually saves us cap.

Beyond that, we could probably flip Garland + for some more top 9 beef and fill out the rest with graduating prospects on ELC's/cheap bridges and/or veterans on value deals. 

Just now, aGENT said:

Maybe? But instead of say 8 X ~$11-something it might be 4 years at ~$10 and another 4+ years at $12-$14. Other than the last few years of flat, pandemic cap, you're always better off long term, signing your stars to...long terms.

The cap is also reportedly going up ~$4m. And no, we don't need to re-sign a bunch of those guys. Zadorov basically replaces Cole next year and we need someone probably closer to $4-$5 (Tanev?, trade?) to replace Myers, which actually saves us cap.

Beyond that, we could probably flip Garland + for some more top 9 beef and fill out the rest with graduating prospects on ELC's/cheap bridges and/or veterans on value deals. 

You are an Agent!

What a bunch of crap. Myers is actually younger than Tanev.

Do you think we can get Tanev for LESS than Myers new contract? I mean, Myers has most his teeth.

I would let Petey go rather than do over $8.  And also thats a favor to Petey. Because if he takes more, the WHOLE WRATH OF THE CANUCKS FANS will speak when he has a bad spell, like Brock just had for a few years.

How is Petey worth more than the Boeser from lets say, 4 years ago?

If New Jersey thinks Petterson is worth more than Luke Hughes and Jack Hughes combined for the next 4 or 5 years, we should just do that trade.

On 12/12/2023 at 4:47 PM, Diamonds said:

Neither Miller nor Hughes are contract comparable players for Pettersson. Miller was 5 years older at the start of his contract than Petey will be this summer with most thinking his 99 point season was a career year and Hughes signed three years ago in a flat cap world and following a sophomore season in which he looked quite bad defensively despite still having good offensive production. If Hughes continues playing the way he is this year for the next couple years he's probably in line for a 13M/year contract. Hughes will also be directly tied to Makar for his next contract as they are both expiring the same year which could make negotiations very interesting.

So by your logic, we will not have a "core" anymore. Right now, the only reasonable contracts are Demmers, JT and Brock. And all you guys thought Boeser was overpaid and trade material 6 months ago

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Neither are young...I'm not sure what that has to do with anything... Tanev is both a far better defenseman and a far better fit for what we actually need on the roster. And he should cost less than what Myers is currently costing us in cap hit. That's a net savings from this year. I don't really give a hoot what Myers gets on his next deal.

Petey is going to get over $8m. Feel free to through a useless tantrum I guess?

I have wanted Tanev back for years. Also Toffoli can you imagine if they had actually put him on same line as Pearson. 

Zads & Myers is a better combo than Hughes & Heronik defensively. Dont count points, count blocked shots and big ass hits.

However I think Myers with a cheaper contract is the better deal, and Myers is better than every fan thinks. I wish Demko, DeSmith and Slivos were actually on the post.

3 hours ago, Tusk said:

So by your logic, we will not have a "core" anymore. Right now, the only reasonable contracts are Demmers, JT and Brock. And all you guys thought Boeser was overpaid and trade material 6 months ago

What does what I said have anything to do with having a core or not?

5 hours ago, Tusk said:

I would let Petey go rather than do over $8.

Bold statement!  That seems like a low threshold for trading him but I do agree that as you get much higher than that you introduce challenges in paying others enough to make a competitive team.  The 2011 team was built the way it was because guys like Kesler, Burrows, Sedins and company (Luongo even) signed contracts to lower average salaries than they could have.  So I agree.....EP does so much for the team that I want him to sign long-term, but if it's McDavid money, we'll have a McDavid team.

EP is younger and therefore the bigger asset compared to Miller.  But is EP's contribution greater than Miller's?  I'd argue no.  Not right now.  So $8M/yr is the base and I'm hoping $9.5-10M/yr is the ceiling.

Very touchy scenario. However, 8 to 10 short or long term seems to average out. EP40 needs to elevate on a constant basis .

Measuring what Miller is getting is wrong. Two very different players. When Miller signed they knew what they signed,yet, he has elevated to another level.

Should EP40 not sign and go elsewhere, who replaces him? Not much out there that can replace him at the money we assume he is worth. The ones out there are already signed long term.

Here's hoping Alvin is doing his best to solve this. So far the moves that he's made ,have benefited the team.

I hope history does not repeat itself. 

15 hours ago, Tusk said:

What? Am I misunderstanding you here, as I think Hughes is on a real good contract just now.

As for Brock, everyone is happy to see him scoring now, but even Brock wanted out 6 months ago, so don't think you can slam the fans.

In the end its about value for dollars, and team building... something has got to give...

35 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Should EP40 not sign and go elsewhere, who replaces him? Not much out there that can replace him at the money we assume he is worth. The ones out there are already signed long term.

This, number one centers are next to impossible to aquire. If you have to pay extra to keep one, you just do it. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This, number one centers are next to impossible to aquire. If you have to pay extra to keep one, you just do it. 

This is true. 

But there is also a limit somewhere. I think Rutherford will do what he needs to, to make sure we have that role filled. I hope it's Petey.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Good thing we already have a 1C.  Possibly the best centre in the league this year.

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Good thing we already have a 1C.  Possibly the best centre in the league this year.

If the team has cup inspirations though, will take more than JT as the number one center. He's a stud, but not enough. Very seldom does a team lose a player of EP's talent and come out equal once all the dust settles. 

Just now, Rekker said:

If the team has cup inspirations though, will take more than JT as the number one center. He's a stud, but not enough. Very seldom does a team lose a player of EP's talent and come out equal once all the dust settles. 

Yeah, but if we ended up trading Petey I'd expect a 2C in return plus more.

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is true. 

But there is also a limit somewhere. I think Rutherford will do what he needs to, to make sure we have that role filled. I hope it's Petey.

I suspect a shorter term deal will get done, one that aligns with Hughes contract. If the cap hit is lower, I'm ol with it. Hughes on the cheap contract is the window really. No gaurantee he re-signs. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

50 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What? Am I misunderstanding you here, as I think Hughes is on a real good contract just now.

As for Brock, everyone is happy to see him scoring now, but even Brock wanted out 6 months ago, so don't think you can slam the fans.

In the end its about value for dollars, and team building... something has got to give...

Yes, we have JT locked in and committed to VAN for a long time.

The only issue I have with the Quinn contract is when it expires we are in a really tight cap spot

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, but if we ended up trading Petey I'd expect a 2C in return plus more.

Doubtful a team trades an up and coming young stud center for EP. Easy to imagine, but try to come up with that scenario? An actual player that has EP's upside. Teams don't trade stud centers, rarely. 

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Yes, we have JT locked in and committed to VAN for a long time.

The only issue I have with the Quinn contract is when it expires we are in a really tight cap spot

I think it's the window. Now, till Hughes expired contract. Anything can happen with that. 

Edited by Rekker

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I think it's the window. Now, till Hughes expired contract. Anything can happen with that. 

If Petey waits till we win the cup this season I think we pay what ever he wants.

If we dont get this year then a bridge deal to when the OEL hit is over (2031??? ) and then we can give him a billions of dollars for all I care

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Doubtful a team trades an up and coming young stud center for EP. Easy to imagine, but try to come up with that scenario? An actual player that has EP's upside. Teams don't trade stud centers, rarely. 

You don't get a stud centre back.  You get a 2c level centre plus maybe a top 4RHD.

I've said this a few times before, but I'll never understand why a player wouldn't sign an $8M contract instead of a $10M contract when it could mean the difference between having one or two more solid players on your team and winning a Stanley Cup, or just being on a good team that doesn't quite have what it takes. When the dollar figures are that high, I'd way rather have success than more money.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1