[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Doubtful a team trades an up and coming young stud center for EP. Easy to imagine, but try to come up with that scenario? An actual player that has EP's upside. Teams don't trade stud centers, rarely. 

It is very possible a team who is entering just about to enter their window of success could consider it. But it is very doubtful. A team like Chicago may entertain their 1st this year plus a prospect or two. It would set us back but could be an option if it came up. 

But I am really hoping for a deal and we keep him. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I've said this a few times before, but I'll never understand why a player wouldn't sign an $8M contract instead of a $10M contract when it could mean the difference between having one or two more solid players on your team and winning a Stanley Cup, or just being on a good team that doesn't quite have what it takes. When the dollar figures are that high, I'd way rather have success than more money.

Not everyone is cut from the same cloth as Burrows!

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I've said this a few times before, but I'll never understand why a player wouldn't sign an $8M contract instead of a $10M contract when it could mean the difference between having one or two more solid players on your team and winning a Stanley Cup, or just being on a good team that doesn't quite have what it takes. When the dollar figures are that high, I'd way rather have success than more money.

You should post that Luongo video here, the " I have a bad contract"

1 minute ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

It is very possible a team who is entering just about to enter their window of success could consider it. But it is very doubtful. A team like Chicago may entertain their 1st this year plus a prospect or two. It would set us back but could be an option if it came up. 

This is it, it would take the perfect scenario. It would be a rare deal.

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is true. 

But there is also a limit somewhere. I think Rutherford will do what he needs to, to make sure we have that role filled. I hope it's Petey.

Gotta stretch the budget. I wouldn’t trade EP for AM straight across, I wouldn't. And AM makes 13.5 so in my mind EP is worth 12 on a long term deal.

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Easy to say, does it work though? Define nunber two C? Not what I want, keep the devil you know. 

To VAN

Joel Eriksson Ek

Jonas Brodin

To MIN

Elias Pettersson

One of our higher end prospects

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

Petey still has another year after this one on his current contract. And then he’s still an RFA. He will sign a new four year deal @ 9.5 per. 
The empties have spoke. All bow. 

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To VAN

Joel Eriksson Ek

Jonas Brodin

To MIN

Elias Pettersson

Again, easy to propose. Why would Minny do it? It guts their depth for EP, who may not sign there or extend there. If he thinks we aren't good enough to extend with, sure as heck Minny is worse without those two you proposed. 

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Again, easy to propose. Why would Minny do it? It guts their depth for EP, who may not sign there or extend there. If he thinks we aren't good enough to extend with, sure as heck Minny is worse without those two you proposed. 

Because they're likely to be rebuilding soon.  Brodin will age out and they need a bona-fide 1C.  Makes more sense for Minny to pay Petey the $12 or $13m or whatever it is that Petey would want.

17 hours ago, Tusk said:

Another thing to consider folks. Is Elias Pettersson as good as he is on any other team than the Canucks? What is going on with Bo Horvat at 8.5MIL on another team.

Horvat is doing just fine on the island 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is reminding me of the angst when the Sedins didn't sign, and could have possibly walked as UFA's.

July 1st rolled around and everyone was panicking. Then the Twins signed the same day.

I remember that.  I don't know if anybody actually thought they'd both sign with another team though.  I could see Petey jumping ship as a UFA.

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Because they're likely to be rebuilding soon.  Brodin will age out and they need a bona-fide 1C.  Makes more sense for Minny to pay Petey the $12 or $13m or whatever it is that Petey would want.

Why would Petey sign with a rebuilding team? He's literally said he wants to be on a competitive team?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

To VAN

Joel Eriksson Ek

Jonas Brodin

To MIN

Elias Pettersson

We have in EP a player on pace to be the best center in franchise history, with Selke votes to boot. Upside is there. Sign him, even if it's a little extra. Literally the best center in this Cup less franchises history. No way I lose him over a few million. Get it done. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Why would Petey sign with a rebuilding team? He's literally said he wants to be on a competitive team?

Money talks.  If a team offers him $12.5M AAV, rebuilding or not, he'd probably take it.

I am totally open to taking bets on whether or not Petey stays. Might as well capitalize on the unwarranted worry.

I bet he stays and signs a long-term deal. Anyone wanting to bet against that, hit me with a PM. I'm open for any wager, but we can settle for a signature shout out. "DeltaSwede (or your Alias) is the best most handsomest poster" in your sig for the 2024/25 season. 

The proposals in here are a real wow. I'm in awe at how bad those takes are. Horrific. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

We have in EP a player on pace to be the best center in franchise history, with Selke votes to boot. Upside is there. Sign him, even if it's a little extra. Literally the best center in this Cup less franchises history. No way I lose him over a few million. Get it done. 

EP has a long way to go before he's best centre in franchise history.  Upside is certainly there, but signing him for a "few million" more than he's worth is a surefire way of building a team that will never win a Cup.  Ask Toronto and Edmonton how they feel about throwing money at their #1 centre then having no depth to work with.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

And the Canucks match a second later. 

I'm not convinced of that.  Put it this way, if Petey was making $12.5M right now putting in the performance he has since early November, how do you think he'd be received right now by fans and media alike?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1