[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Neither are young...I'm not sure what that has to do with anything... Tanev is both a far better defenseman and a far better fit for what we actually need on the roster. And he should cost less than what Myers is currently costing us in cap hit. That's a net savings from this year. I don't really give a hoot what Myers gets on his next deal.

Petey is going to get over $8m. Feel free to throw a useless tantrum I guess?

No argument that Tanev is a superior D man, but in the last two seasons, he's starting to look injury prone again.

I have a suspicion that he could be spending more time in the infirmary , than on the ice . Calgary got very lucky with his health.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True. After 6 seasons, Henrik played 482 games and had 301 points. So his PPG was 0.62. Petey so far has 360 points in 354 games. So his PPG is 1.01. 

So Petey is miles ahead of Henrik in terms of production at age 25. 

We rest our case?! Only thing missing is the Marissa Tomei closer. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well that's what we have to consider with developing players. Pettersson's 25. He's still likely to improve give the prime time of a player is late 20's. If at the end of the season, we're having the conversation of him improving on his 102 points last season, we might have to take that risk in paying him what we think he's going to achieve in his prime or else have a shorter contract again.

Would it suck if he doesn't play up to the $12mil contract if that's what he gets? Sure. However, how often do we get the chance of even having a player like Pettersson? We've been going through years of being a poor team and arguably have only Pettersson and Hughes as superstars drafted out of that.

So let me ask you think, would you rather:

1) Pay $12mil for Pettersson who performs at $10mil (still better than everyone else on the team), or

2) Wait 10 years for another Pettersson to show up?

3) Trade Pettersson for a solid 2C and top 4D package.

9 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

No argument that Tanev is a superior D man, but in the last two seasons, he's starting to look injury prone again.

I have a suspicion that he could be spending more time in the infirmary , than on the ice . Calgary got very lucky with his health.

I agree with Agent, but for the reasosn you mentioned, I'm not big on any major assets going to the Flames for this season. In fact, unless a team is desperate, IE Toronto, Tanevs injury history will hurt his trade value. That said, I would be all over Tanev as a Myers replacement next season. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

?

He played all 82 games in the 21-22 season.  Missed a good chunk of games last season.  Missed one game so far this season (probably two games as it looks like he'll miss Calgary's next game).

But yeah, he's getting up there in age.  Thx for the memories Tanev (and thanks the Jim Benning for letting him walk for absolutely nothing) but sometimes you can't go home again.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, Tusk said:

Yes, we have JT locked in and committed to VAN for a long time.

The only issue I have with the Quinn contract is when it expires we are in a really tight cap spot

That is fair, but that is always the case, when you have superstar players...

You then have 2 possibilities pay them to stay, or trade them, if you feel more is needed to win... 

Big changes will be made by the time QH next contract comes around... definitely as its going to cost big $$$

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Trade Pete talk is nutz. MTL went to the finals with a worse team. Let the future worry about itself later. If Pete wants out we will deal w that next year.

Exactly

No one's trading Pettersson this season. 

If he doesn't sign an extension anything is possible in the summer or next season. But it's too early to start talking about trading him. 

Play out this season. See how the team does in the playoffs and pick up the EP40 signing/trade talk in the off season. 

For this season I can see them making some moves to improve the Top 6 winger and RD positions. No stars will be traded away. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

3) Trade Pettersson for a solid 2C and top 4D package.

So basically you're saying to wait 10 years for the next Pettersson since your #3 is effectively what I said #2 was.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I'm strongly opposed to your idea in this case. Rather have OEL even than trade away Pettersson. That's how strongly I feel. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, the nice thing about Tanev (beyond his obvious skill set) is that he shouldn't require more than 2-3 years of term. That and his age, injury history (that he never wanted to leave) etc should keep the cap low'ish as well. He's a perfect interim guy while Willander develops. 

Speaking of, those injuries also likely let Willander maybe get some injury fill in looks there, where he doesn't have the pressure/expectations of playing that role full time.

By all mean's I'm open to alternatives like Larsson, Jensen etc (or even better another "Hronek" like trade for a +/- 25 year old). But Tanev's a solid option to replace Myers, either this spring, or in the summer.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, the nice thing about Tanev (beyond his obvious skill set) is that he shouldn't require more than 2-3 years of term. That and his age, injury history (that he never wanted to leave) etc should keep the cap low'ish as well. He's a perfect interim guy while Willander develops. 

Speaking of, those injuries also likely let Willander maybe get some injury fill in looks there, where he doesn't have the pressure/expectations of playing that role full time.

By all mean's I'm open to alternatives like Larsson, Jensen etc (or even better another "Hronek" like trade for a +/- 25 year old). But Tanev's a solid option to replace Myers, either this spring, or in the summer.

I wonder how Tanev would look here now that the current Canucks spend more time in the offensive zone than the poor teams he played on here. Less wear and tear on the old bones getting hemmed in his own zone shift after shift. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I wonder how Tanev would look here now that the current Canucks spend more time in the offensive zone than the poor teams he played on here. Less wear and tear on the old bones getting hemmed in his own zone shift after shift. 

Yup and behind Hughes, Hronek and probably playing with Zadorov...have to think maybe he's a bit less beat up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Tanev and Zadorov as a second pairing would be very good. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So basically you're saying to wait 10 years for the next Pettersson since your #3 is effectively what I said #2 was.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I'm strongly opposed to your idea in this case. Rather have OEL even than trade away Pettersson. That's how strongly I feel. lol

You mean OEL who's 2nd in ice time for Florida leading all their D in points. On pace for 20G, 2nd in shot blocks and 2nd in on ice goals against per 60. Phew good thing we bought him out. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hammertime said:

You mean OEL who's 2nd in ice time for Florida leading all their D in points. On pace for 20G, 2nd in shot blocks and 2nd in on ice goals against per 60. Phew good thing we bought him out. 

That's a whole different discussion. lol

However, I would argue that he likely needed a change of scenery and him staying here could have meant nothing would have changed for him.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

#3 and #2 are completely different.  Trading for 2 guys that are already established has nothing to do with waiting for another Elias Pettersson because we already have a JT Miller who is better than Elias Pettersson. 

But yeah, we won't agree on this.  Different perspectives for sure.  Neither right or wrong btw.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

#3 and #2 are completely different.  Trading for 2 guys that are already established has nothing to do with waiting for another Elias Pettersson because we already have a JT Miller who is better than Elias Pettersson. 

But yeah, we won't agree on this.  Different perspectives for sure.  Neither right or wrong btw.

Miller is great. But Petey will be (us close to already) a top five player in the league. 

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No they're not completely different. In both cases, we don't have Pettersson. That's the entire point.

But my perspective is that Pettersson's better than Miller so we clearly even disagree on that. lol

29 minutes ago, The Lock said:

No they're not completely different. In both cases, we don't have Pettersson. That's the entire point.

But my perspective is that Pettersson's better than Miller so we clearly even disagree on that. lol

They are completely different because in your #2, we're just randomly waiting for a replacement.  In my #3 we are replacing him with 2 guys that are established already, just not as elite individually.

But yeah, if you feel petey is better than Miller right now, I totally disagree lol