[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

47 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

What's the logic behind that? Matthews just signed a 13.25 for 5 years. Shorter term doesn't mean less money for established top scorers lol. 

Matthews is proven to be selfish. He’s all about his being the top paid guy. Petey is a great player who wants to win the Cup. A shorter term absolutely will bring down the yearly cap allocation.
Petey will sign 3-4 years at 9.5.

Accept the empties and bow to their residual odour. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

The team is a winning team now, but Petey is sucking right now too... no deal because he wants both -- winning team and the big bucks.  Big bucks comes from big performance which he isn't doing right now.

Imagine if he was performing better,like he was before. We would probably not only be leading the league but have a points gap to boot.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Joe King said:

Imagine if he was performing better,like he was before. We would probably not only be leading the league but have a points gap to boot.

Yup.  If Petey and Miller are firing on all cylinders with the emergence of our top tier 3rd line, we'd be a serious cup contender.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

The team is a winning team now, but Petey is sucking right now too... no deal because he wants both -- winning team and the big bucks.  Big bucks comes from big performance which he isn't doing right now.

Imagine if Petey does sign for 11+ million and then doesn't perform in the playoffs, or slumps multiple times and doesn't live up to the dollar amount. Skillwise he's elite, but mentally so far in his career he's still very immature. He's also seen what can happen to guys who don't perform in this pressurized market, so maybe he's deciding if he does want out. Whatever it is, I just hope he decides sooner rather than later, because right now it seems like he's waiting it out so he can bend Allvin over the table.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Imagine if Petey does sign for 11+ million and then doesn't perform in the playoffs, or slumps multiple times and doesn't live up to the dollar amount. Skillwise he's elite, but mentally so far in his career he's still very immature. He's also seen what can happen to guys who don't perform in this pressurized market, so maybe he's deciding if he does want out. Whatever it is, I just hope he decides sooner rather than later, because right now it seems like he's waiting it out so he can bend Allvin over the table.

I think you make a good point..  people on these boards or fans in general feel who wouldn't want to be a star hockey player in a Canadian market?  The fact is not as many as you would think.  I think petey probably wants to play in a market where off the ice he is more normal with less attention..  if he really wanted to stay in vancouver i am sure negotiations would have already been ongoing.  Its sad for the people around here but i feel that is why he only signed a three year deal so he had more control over his ability to leave.   Just my 2 cents

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

What's the logic behind that? Matthews just signed a 13.25 for 5 years. Shorter term doesn't mean less money for established top scorers lol. 

But Matthews is an established top scorer in the league. Petey is not. In AM's 7 seasons he has over 30 goals every year, over 40 five years, including one 60 goal year. Petey is over 30 twice in his five seasons. This season so far, AM has exactly 3X as many goals as Petey.

That's some hungover math right there. Apparently 13 X 3 does not = 29. So, AM only has 2.25 X as many goals as EP this season.

Edited by Got the Babych
IQ deficiency.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I actually thought his contract would be done during this break. There were no game distractions and the 

Very disappointing. 

His side is demanding 12.5 if it’s for 8 years. Canucks are offering the same as Pastranak got (11.25). Neither side is budging. 
 I think Petey ultimately Re-signs here for 2-3 more years at 11.5. But if not, I think we see something crazy this off-season like he gets qualified then traded. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

His side is demanding 12.5 if it’s for 8 years. Canucks are offering the same as Pastranak got (11.25). Neither side is budging. 
 I think Petey ultimately Re-signs here for 2-3 more years at 11.5. But if not, I think we see something crazy this off-season like he gets qualified then traded. 

I was about to go off on 12.5 being too high but it really is only about 1M of a difference with his comparables. He is supposed to be our core and top 3 player on the team so I think the Canucks should bite the bullet and sign him, even though he isn’t playing at that standard at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

But Matthews is an established top scorer in the league. Petey is not. In AM's 7 seasons he has over 30 goals every year, over 40 five years, including one 60 goal year. Petey is over 30 twice in his five seasons. This season so far, AM has exactly 3X as many goals as Petey.

Yup, I can't stand Matthews, but you can't deny he is on another level compared to Petey.  

27 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Pastrnak money is MORE than fair.  I don't know how Petey could garner more than Pasta.  Can't even argue that Pasta plays with top line talent either.  He's doing it this year with Zacha and Morgan Geekie.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

I actually thought his contract would be done during this break. There were no game distractions.

Very disappointing. 

I'm not surprised. Petey played like ass this month. His stock is at a low point coming into the break. 

Next time frame is all stars. He definitely ain't gonna be picked and if he steps up Jan than it probably gets done by then. 

5 hours ago, Cocanuck said:

I think you make a good point..  people on these boards or fans in general feel who wouldn't want to be a star hockey player in a Canadian market?  The fact is not as many as you would think.  I think petey probably wants to play in a market where off the ice he is more normal with less attention..  if he really wanted to stay in vancouver i am sure negotiations would have already been ongoing.  Its sad for the people around here but i feel that is why he only signed a three year deal so he had more control over his ability to leave.   Just my 2 cents

I found this odd at the time too. Then he does this with this round of contract talks and it gets even fishier.

That is why I am thinking they should nip this in the bud right away and not let it carry on where we are forced to do something right before his contract runs out. 

Sometimes its just a matter of not having the right fit(player/team) and that fine, but at the end of the day, he is an asset to the team and they have to do what is best for the team. 

Elias Pettersson reportedly demands a fortune to stay in Vancouver

Will the Canucks sign him to such a contract?

HockeyFeed
HockeyFeed
Published 1 day ago

Ever since the 2023-24 season got underway, there has been lot of special about star forward Elias Pettersson and his next contract with the Vancouver Canucks. There are many questions about Pettersson’s desire to stay in Vancouver and what it would cost the Canucks to keep the pending restricted free agent. 

The Canucks have publicly stated more than once that they will do everything in their power to keep Pettersson in Vancouver, but it sounds like they will have to reach deep into their pockets to do so.

According to team insider Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic, Canucks’ management is looking at Boston Bruins’ David Pastrnak’s deal as a comparable in negotiations. You may recall that Pastrnak inked an eight-year contract back in March worth a total of $90 million, an average of $11.25 million per season. 

The issue is that Pettersson is believed to be asking for more.

His specific demands aren’t known and for the moment remain under the radar, but it is believed that Pettersson is hoping to be closer to what was offered to Colorado Avalanche’s Nathan MacKinnon, who became the highest paid player in the entire league with an average salary cap of $12.6 million! 

Earlier this month, it was confirmed that by commissioner Gary Bettman that the NHL is projecting the salary cap to rise to $87.7 million for next season. The cap, which is expected to rise $4.2 million, has not increased more than $4 million season-over-season since it went up $4.5 million from $75 million in 2017-18 to $79.5 million in 2018-19.

This means the Canucks will have more to play with, and therefore, could have no other choice than to satisfy the demands of his best forward to keep him in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

HockeyFeed
HockeyFeed
Published 1 day ago

Ever since the 2023-24 season got underway, there has been lot of special about star forward Elias Pettersson and his next contract with the Vancouver Canucks. There are many questions about Pettersson’s desire to stay in Vancouver and what it would cost the Canucks to keep the pending restricted free agent. 

The Canucks have publicly stated more than once that they will do everything in their power to keep Pettersson in Vancouver, but it sounds like they will have to reach deep into their pockets to do so.

According to team insider Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic, Canucks’ management is looking at Boston Bruins’ David Pastrnak’s deal as a comparable in negotiations. You may recall that Pastrnak inked an eight-year contract back in March worth a total of $90 million, an average of $11.25 million per season. 

His specific demands aren’t known and for the moment remain under the radar, but it is believed that Pettersson is hoping to be closer to what was offered to Colorado Avalanche’s Nathan MacKinnon, who became the highest paid player in the entire league with an average salary cap of $12.6 million! 

Earlier this month, it was confirmed that by commissioner Gary Bettman that the NHL is projecting the salary cap to rise to $87.7 million for next season. The cap, which is expected to rise $4.2 million, has not increased more than $4 million season-over-season since it went up $4.5 million from $75 million in 2017-18 to $79.5 million in 2018-19.

This means the Canucks will have more to play with, and therefore, could have no other choice than to satisfy the demands of his best forward to keep him in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

Like I predicted, he is trying to go by way of his buddy Bo, he followed the same pattern with contract talks.

Wants to Win? :classic_laugh:

Mackinnon? Get real! 

I knew he was "pouting" lately and not "injured". :classic_biggrin:

He was hitting like a pissed off little kid, but not much else. 

• ThereItIs 2

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Like I predicted, he is trying to go by way of his buddy Bo, he followed the same pattern with contract talks.

Wants to Win? :classic_laugh:

Mackinnon? Get real! 

I knew he was "pouting" lately and not "injured". :classic_biggrin:

He was hitting like a pissed off little kid, but not much else. 

34 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

HockeyFeed
HockeyFeed
Published 1 day ago

18 minutes ago, Mac said:

Trade petey if he gets greedy.

We will get a buttload of assets for him. And knowing our new front office, they will get someone that is a bit of a downgrade on petey while getting other important assets.

I don't really care if he gets traded any longer. Unlike Miller, if he isn't putting up points he is not doing much other than falling down lol.

It will be an interesting couple of months if petey gets too greedy.

If the Nux have been willing to shell out a similar deal as Pasta Man's, and to be at this junction in time with ZERO progress....then "stalling" (greedy) Petey can flack off! Enough of this bullshit already.

I'll take the assets and savings from a trade, TYVM!

We are a good enough team to carry on without him, just like when we punted BoHo (when many thought we'd be doomed for years haha)....we'll probably be even better off, depending on bodies/assets returned 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

If the Nux have been willing to shell out a similar deal as Pasta Man's, and to be at this junction in time with ZERO progress....then "stalling" (greedy) Petey can flack off! Enough of this bullshit already.

I'll take the assets and savings from a trade, TYVM!

We are a good enough team to carry on without him, just like when we punted BoHo (when many thought we'd be doomed for years haha)....we'll probably be even better off, depending on bodies/assets returned 

I was thinking this too, we have been doing pretty good , even during this time he has been pouting. 

This group has a good track record of accumulating what we need with minimal assets, imagine what they can do with multiple firsts etc ? 

I knew when they said they were continuing contract talks , with nothing to come of it, and then he started his down slide, something was up.