[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Just now, Bob Long said:

That's it really. For that price you need to be a threat every shift. 

I like Petey but objectively he isn't in their tier.

For sure. You should have the ability to take over a game. Drag your team into the fight. Not seeing that from Elias.

I’ve seen it from Miller and Hughes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. You should have the ability to take over a game. Drag your team into the fight. Not seeing that from Elias.

I’ve seen it from Miller and Hughes.

I guess we'll find out soon. Hopefully it's just Dhaliwal talking out of his ass and something reasonable is in the works.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe.

But I was right, homie.

if you say so. this hardly registers as a distraction in my book. players aren't being asked about it. it's not dominating the talk around the team. nobody seems distracted by it. when you talk about things being distractions, you're talking about taking the players' focus away from the task at hand (think jt's or bo's trade/contract situations), and that sure doesn't appear to be the case to me.

• Like 1

Despite struggling/not being as dominant this past month he is still quietly putting up numbers. 13 points in the last 12 games. He's also been on goals he didn't get points on. Petey is our leader in GWGs with almost half as many goals as Boeser.

Eventually he's gonna get hot again. How dominant I wonder.

He still needs to put on more weight. People are never gonna take him for granted and he needs to be able battle. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

if you say so. this hardly registers as a distraction in my book. players aren't being asked about it. it's not dominating the talk around the team. nobody seems distracted by it. when you talk about things being distractions, you're talking about taking the players' focus away from the task at hand (think jt's or bo's trade/contract situations), and that sure doesn't appear to be the case to me.

Yeah your probably right, 90+ Million is hardly anything to talk about. I am sure Miller and Hughes are right behind Petey and are cheering for him to stick it them and their measly offer.:classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, tas said:

Thats a cool take.

I'm like that too. Dont really get too wound up about these type of things.

But, this story is growing. I said it would. That's really my only point.  I'll leave you to quantifying qualifications for distractions.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah your probably right, 90+ Million is hardly anything to talk about. I am sure Miller and Hughes are right behind Petey and are cheering for him to stick it them and their measly offer.:classic_biggrin:

what on earth are you talking about?

Seriously though, its all fine to discuss contracts but when talks break off and no one is going to back down, thats a concern and a distraction. I know Bo said he didn't want it to be a distraction, but it was. Its funny his talks broke off too and look what happened. It is a distraction. 

We are still a top six and a number 3D to really compete, so let this start help teams over-evaluate what we have, I would like to see ep40 sold to the highest bidder but again, is this going to happen? Aqulini is holding a gun to the head of Rutherford and GM Allvin to pretend that this bunch of softies and misfits actually has a shot at the Stanley Cup. it's sad

2 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

We are still a top six and a number 3D to really compete, so let this start help teams over-evaluate what we have, I would like to see ep40 sold to the highest bidder but again, is this going to happen? Aqulini is holding a gun to the head of Rutherford and GM Allvin to pretend that this bunch of softies and misfits actually has a shot at the Stanley Cup. it's sad

This is Rutherfords team. He has the say over Aquilini. Aquilini knows not to try anything with a man as experienced and as respected as Rutherford. He took the job under one condition, full autonomy. 

Also I wouldn't say players like Miller,

Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Blueger, Joshua, are softies. Nor are Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Hronek, Boeser, Mikheyev, Laffery, misfits.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Not nearly as sad as this rambling. 

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Seriously though, its all fine to discuss contracts but when talks break off and no one is going to back down, thats a concern and a distraction. I know Bo said he didn't want it to be a distraction, but it was. Its funny his talks broke off too and look what happened. It is a distraction. 

Especially in a city where there’s a hyper focus on the team in the media. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

This is Rutherfords team. He has the say over Aquilini. Aquilini knows not to try anything with a man as experienced and as respected as Rutherford. He took the job under one condition, full autonomy. 

Also I wouldn't say players like Miller,

Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Blueger, Joshua, are softies. Nor are Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Hronek, Boeser, Mikheyev, Laffery, misfits.

you must had good memories of those paddlings they took against Winni, Detroit and Seattle. That 4-1 BEATDOWN they took against the Flyers a couple of days ago, the 5-2 BEATDOWN from the Avalanche, and the 4-1 BEATDOWN from the Golden Helmets earlier this season were a good time as well? Stanley Cup? Get real, it's not happening for you any time soon.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey is my favourite Canuck, but I hope they don't take on a crippling long term contract, out of line with the rest of the team.  If so, move him for a huge haul

Exactly, we are trying to build a TEAM here and are doing pretty good so far. If we sign him to a ridiculous amount, its going to throw off the balance and culture of this team. I would rather just move him too and keep on rolling with what they have built so far.

Edited by EdgarM

3 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Call playoffs 2023/24 a win and move on, whatever they do, just DONT fall into the trap of trading assets to support an ep40 window that is a mirage because he does not have the size and substance to lead a team to the Stanley Cup.

I agree and I think Miller is the actual person to lead us right now. 

I had a lot of faith in Bo being that guy and recently I had a lot of faith in Petey being that guy. I think its a lot of wishful thinking though. Make no mistake, Petey is a great player but I think he thinks he is more then what he really is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Exactly, we are trying to build a TEAM here and are doing pretty good so far. If we sign him to a ridiculous amount, its going to throw off the balance and culture of this team. I would rather just move him too and keep on rolling with what they have built so far.

I don't think it'd have an effect in the dressing room, players stand behind all other players to get the highest dollar amount they can get.  But, I'd hope they have some kind of internal individual cap limit within the roster so they can spread the $ around more.  Petey would bring back a helluva good return

• Upvote 1