[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

I'm not in favor of giving up any assets to get a top 6 for a team that has won precisely ONE game against a top team Dallas and 2 others against a poser team with peewee D OEL and Forsling the Panthers in the first 36 games of the season and has lost to every other top team they have played Vegas, Avalanche, NYR, Dallas in round 2, twice to Flyers, NJ, and Loafs. Let this Stanley Cup pretender die of natural causes and make changes in the summer, this team will not win the SC with a ridiculous contract sign with flopping 40, it will get this team into the kind of lopsided and unproductive salary structure that hands out Edmonton and Toronto's chances to win a cup in the next five years and it's unacceptable, we have no choice to trade him

12 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

I'm not in favor of giving up any assets to get a top 6 for a team that has won precisely ONE game against a top team Dallas and 2 others against a poser team with peewee D OEL and Forsling the Panthers in the first 36 games of the season and has lost to every other top team they have played Vegas, Avalanche, NYR, Dallas in round 2, twice to Flyers, NJ, and Loafs. Let this Stanley Cup pretender die of natural causes and make changes in the summer, this team will not win the SC with a ridiculous contract sign with flopping 40, it will get this team into the kind of lopsided and unproductive salary structure that hands out Edmonton and Toronto's chances to win a cup in the next five years and it's unacceptable, we have no choice to trade him

Thats the thing, this team is not complete. Yes we are learning to win more games lately but we still need to weed out players that don't fit and accumulate players who will help us win. 

I am very skepticle of a player who has never brought us a Cup or has done anything other then to recently learn how to take face offs. 

We talk about a lot of excuses,such as an injury, not playing with the right players, fatigue or WHY but he wants to be paid like we should be bowing at his feet? Yeah OK. 

I am from the era of that "respect" needs to be "earned" and that the "potential" is fine, just don't expect to be paid for that.

Edited by EdgarM
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Exactly, we are trying to build a TEAM here and are doing pretty good so far. If we sign him to a ridiculous amount, its going to throw off the balance and culture of this team. I would rather just move him too and keep on rolling with what they have built so far.

Quinn Hughes has the same agent. He also held out with Petey 2 years ago. 

Are you going to be saying the same thing about Hughes when his contract is up and he’s wanting $13-14 million? 

Because we all know that is exactly what’s going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you going to be saying the same thing about Hughes when his contract is up and he’s wanting $13-14 million? 

You mean our best defensman who is making less then 8 mil per year? Who is one of the top 2 defensemen in the league? Who signed for 6 years? Who won't have a chance to sign said contract until after the 2026-27 season? That guy. 

The one who leads our team and doesn't take a night off, who cares about the team and winning more then himself? That guy? Our Captain?

He will be paid his worth by a competent GM who knows what he is doing, when the time comes.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not a chance in hell. 

you get a legit, cost controlled top 4 rhd, a 19-20 year old C who is already producing in the NHL, a 1st rounder to use as an asset and cap space.  A Boston fan friend proposed that and it did make me think.  There might be better deals out there, but it'd be a hard deal to make.  You can then use Kuz and the 2024 1st to hopefully add a 2C

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You mean our best defensman who is making less then 8 mil per year? Who is one of the top 2 defensemen in the league? Who signed for 6 years? Who won't have a chance to sign said contract until after the 2026-27 season? That guy. 

The one who leads our team and doesn't take a night off, who cares about the team and winning more then himself? That guy? Our Captain?

He will be paid his worth by a competent GM who knows what he is doing, when the time comes.

Exactly, JR is a fan of QH I can tell from his interview, Quinn Hughes racked up 91 points over the last year. He scored 16 goals and added 75 assists. Of his 91 points, 35 came on the power play. he led the entire National Hockey League in +/- over the past 12 months at a whopping +40. And even if you’re not a fan of the +/- statistic, when a player leads the league in a particular category, it paints a pretty accurate picture of the way he plays and his value to his hockey club, his goal differential in all situations was an absurd 162-83 and at 5-on-5 was 88-54. The captain was on the ice for 28 more goals for than any other Canucks teammate in 2023, he led the Canucks in ice time over the past 12 months. Perhaps the surprise comes with the fact he leads all skaters in the NHL in 2023 logging 2082:21. With an average of 25:24 per game, Hughes was third in the league behind only Drew Doughty and Miro Heiskanen. Over the past 12 months, Hughes logged 26 games over 27 minutes, he had three games of more than 30 minutes punctuated by his February 23rd effort in St. Louis when he logged 30:48 of ice time, So lucky that QH fell to the Canucks in his draft year. Even Jim Benning couldn't screw that selection up.lol

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you trying to overwhelm us. We don't even know for sure this Petey thing is real. Ah Jeez now I won't be able to sleep. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Van - Petey, McDonough

Bos - Carlo, DeBrusk (cap dump), Poitras, 2025 1st

would you do it?

I don’t think the value is far off, but the team will need to find a top 6 C.  

Management have shown zero interest in taking any steps backwards. 

Sad to say but I think Petey is probably getting whatever he wants.

If it’s really Pastrnak vs MacKinnon money that’s only about 1.5 mil off.  An important amount for the current competitive cycle but it’s going to get done.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

you get a legit, cost controlled top 4 rhd, a 19-20 year old C who is already producing in the NHL, a 1st rounder to use as an asset and cap space.  A Boston fan friend proposed that and it did make me think.  There might be better deals out there, but it'd be a hard deal to make.  You can then use Kuz and the 2024 1st to hopefully add a 2C

The only proven asset in that trade is Carlo and he's already reached his ceiling. Pettersson isn't going anywhere so let's just stop any proposals involving him. 

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I don’t think the value is far off, but the team will need to find a top 6 C.  

Management have shown zero interest in taking any steps backwards. 

Sad to say but I think Petey is probably getting whatever he wants.

If it’s really Pastrnak vs MacKinnon money that’s only about 1.5 mil off.  An important amount for the current competitive cycle but it’s going to get done.

They'd have a 1st and Kuz to use to find a 2C.  Poitras is also already producing in the NHL

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

The only proven asset in that trade is Carlo and he's already reached his ceiling. Pettersson isn't going anywhere so let's just stop any proposals involving him. 

so don't comment on posts that have possible trades.  Easy peasy

For discussions sake, maybe Petey to the Ducks for Mason McTavish and a 1st.  Will be a nice 1st and Ducks leverage their depth at C to snag an upgrade.  

Kind of like how Kings dealt Villardi to land DuBois.. although maybe that’s a cautionary tale for the Ducks in this scenario.

Edited by The Duke

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

For discussions sake, maybe Petey to the Ducks for Mason MacTavish and a 1st.  Will be a nice 1st and Ducks leverage their depth at C to snag an upgrade.  

Kind of like how Kings dealt Villardi to land DuBois.. although maybe that’s a cautionary tale for the Ducks in this scenario.

If we were making a trade, I would probably go Pettersson + Kuzmenko and see what we can get.

A trade like the one you suggested can allow us to go after free agents like Reinhart or Stamkos, maybe even both. That is if they go to free agency.

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Van - Petey, McDonough

Bos - Carlo, DeBrusk (cap dump), Poitras, 2025 1st

would you do it?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hpw about

Petey

Phi - Farabee, C Gauthier, 2024 1st

I just don’t like the quantity for our quality kind of trade.  
If we are trading Petey, I’d want a Center prospect that’s been in the league and showing #1 potential. 
Like a Stutzle or Fantilli type player.  
We have Miller who can be top line guy and allow a you g kid to grow into a star. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

If we were making a trade, I would probably go Pettersson + Kuzmenko and see what we can get.

A trade like the one you suggested can allow us to go after free agents like Reinhart or Stamkos, maybe even both. That is if they go to free agency.

For sure.. for the most straightforward approach I think the best targets would be teams that have been rebuilding for awhile, (like Buffalo or Anaheim) and have some decent young NHL level talent but want to “trade up.”  

But as always getting the most value any which way would be great if there’s another move or two down the line. 

(FWIW like I’ve already said, I think Petey stays but it’s always fun to guess.)

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

For sure.. for the most straightforward approach I think the best targets would be teams that have been rebuilding for awhile, (like Buffalo or Anaheim) and have some decent young NHL level talent but want to “trade up.”  

But as always getting the most value any which way would be great if there’s another move or two down the line. 

(FWIW like I’ve already said, I think Petey stays but it’s always fun to guess.)

Ya I agree I think Pettersson signs at 11-11.5 million with the team. However if it does come down to a trade, I would look to Buffalo. 

Cozens, Benson, +

Stamkos/Reinhart free agency.

Benson - Cozens - Stamkos/Reinhart

Garland - Miller - Boeser

All Canadian 1st line.

All American 2nd line.

Almost everything would have to go right in this case, I hope Pettersson just signs an 11 million dollar extension.

• Cheers 1