[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

9 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I just don’t like the quantity for our quality kind of trade.  
If we are trading Petey, I’d want a Center prospect that’s been in the league and showing #1 potential. 
Like a Stutzle or Fantilli type player.  
We have Miller who can be top line guy and allow a you g kid to grow into a star. 

Poitras from Boston 

You're not getting a fantilli or stutzle, imo

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya I agree I think Pettersson signs at 11-11.5 million with the team. However if it does come down to a trade, I would look to Buffalo. 

Cozens, Benson, +

Stamkos/Reinhart free agency.

Benson - Cozens - Stamkos/Reinhart

Garland - Miller - Boeser

All Canadian 1st line.

All American 2nd line.

Almost everything would have to go right in this case, I hope Pettersson just signs an 11 million dollar extension.

The article stated that, that's what was being offered and he refused. He is looking in the 12.5 million range.

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The article stated that, that's what was being offered and he refused. He is looking in the 12.5 million range.

Yikes.  If that's the case, we seriously should be listening to offers.  To win a cup, you need guys to be playing at or above their value.  It'd be extremely difficult for Petey to play at a 12.5m value.  That would likely require him to play at his absolute ceiling.  I have doubts about his consistency, so I have doubts he will hit that ceiling.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yikes.  If that's the case, we seriously should be listening to offers.  To win a cup, you need guys to be playing at or above their value.  It'd be extremely difficult for Petey to play at a 12.5m value.  That would likely require him to play at his absolute ceiling.  I have doubts about his consistency, so I have doubts he will hit that ceiling.

Also good luck resigning Hronek, Joshua, Demko(when he’s up) and keeping this core together. Especially in the seasons where we’re paying 4+ for OEL’s buyout. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

You mean our best defensman who is making less then 8 mil per year? Who is one of the top 2 defensemen in the league? Who signed for 6 years? Who won't have a chance to sign said contract until after the 2026-27 season? That guy. 

The one who leads our team and doesn't take a night off, who cares about the team and winning more then himself? That guy? Our Captain?

He will be paid his worth by a competent GM who knows what he is doing, when the time comes.

Yes, that guy.  The guy that skipped training camp to hold out for more money.  Just like Petey.  They have the same agent, so we will be in the same position with Hughes as we will with Petey.  And Petey was more than willing to sign a longer term contract two years ago but our incompetent GM at the time ran out of time and ran out of money to pay him.

LMAO at people who think Hughes is somehow going to be more loyal to this team than Petey.  I can see the crying already when Pat Brisson tells Allvin that Hughes wants $14 million on his next contract.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

28 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

He’s a 25 year old 100 point center with defensive prowess.  
He is what you hope those players can eventually become. 

Petey types dont come around very often.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that guy.  The guy that skipped training camp to hold out for more money.  Just like Petey.  They have the same agent, so we will be in the same position with Hughes as we will with Petey.  And Petey was more than willing to sign a longer term contract two years ago but our incompetent GM at the time ran out of time and ran out of money to pay him.

LMAO at people who think Hughes is somehow going to be more loyal to this team than Petey.  I can see the crying already when Pat Brisson tells Allvin that Hughes wants $14 million on his next contract.

He may have the same agent but at some point, Hughes agreed to the terms of the contract and signed. Petey did not and refused to talk any further. Like I said, I am confident Hughes will work out a reasonable contract when its time. Thats far to ahead in the future though to be a part of this discussion. :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, NMHockey said:

This is Rutherfords team. He has the say over Aquilini. Aquilini knows not to try anything with a man as experienced and as respected as Rutherford. He took the job under one condition, full autonomy. 

Also I wouldn't say players like Miller,

Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Blueger, Joshua, are softies. Nor are Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Hronek, Boeser, Mikheyev, Laffery, misfits.

Francesco was the one who pushed the rebuild through free agency plan and hired inexperienced people in Linden, Benning and Desjardins who would be willing to do what the owner told them to do.

In 2018 Linden went to the owners and asked permission to switch from the build through free agency plan to a Toronto model of scorched earth rebuild.

Francesco removed Linden and elevated Benning because he was willing to remain to be his yes-man.

It took Smyl stepping up in order to get the owners to wake up and force Francesco to give up control and allow Rutherford to do a major rebuild.

Because Brackett had drafted well in 2017 and 2018 we ended up with Pettersson and Hughes and them along with Demko meant we could do a major core rebuild over a scorched earth one in order to turn this ship around.

The question to ask is this though...

Will Francesco allow Rutherford the time to complete his rebuild, or will he push for him top speed it up which will mean we will fail to become a contender

Cant trust this ownership group ever

I loved the Rutherford hiring, however, I don't trust the Aquilini;'s to not step in and somehow screw this up, so think about that for a while and try not to be so gullible.

Petie on a rate for 90ish points. Only 13g so far.

(Not really good leverage contract wise.)

But last year was great, 102 with 39 g. I don't think he'll crack 30g this year.

I'd say another bridge?

3 x 10M

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As far as team needs go though, do we really need a 13 Million dollar center playing behind Miller? 

Who does Vegas have playing behind Eichel? Karlsson and Chandler Stevenson? 

We still need bigger forwards in the top 6 so I don't really know what our priority should be if we are gearing towards building a good playoff team and not just a good regular season team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They don't, but putting together a deal for a player like that is almost impossible in the cap era.  Any deal that would be made around Petey would have to factor in cap space as one of the advantages........ they'd never get the return on his true value, imo.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

As far as team needs go though, do we really need a 13 Million dollar center playing behind Miller? 

Who does Vegas have playing behind Eichel? Karlsson and Chandler Stevenson? 

We still need bigger forwards in the top 6 so I don't really know what our priority should be if we are gearing towards building a good playoff team and not just a good regular season team.

We need whatever gets us the cup.

Dunno if that includes Petey but if we lose him and dont get a cup during this core then we will have a lot of what if's...

i know he's just one player but he is pretty special. 

I just want one cup. We can suck for a decade after and I would still have a smile.

• Cheers 1

Is Petey worth 5 million dollars more than right now? I think even a 3 million raise is fair. He isn't close to Mckinnon level or Mcdavid level or Drais or Matthews. He's simply a level below. He's still too light, too inconsistent, he is border line elite. Only during his hot streaks is he in even mentioned in the league of extraordinary gentlemen. I'd love if he came out and did what he did the SECOND half of last year but he simply isn't. Can't pay a guy elite money for half a season a year. short term deal at 11 max or trade him for a piece ready now and a 1st, 2nd. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agreed. 
So if he actually doesn’t want to sign here and we have to trade him, I’d much rather see us go for quality over quantity. 
Id be so pissed if we went and got some older guys to try to continue a short lived window.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This team is still missing 3-5 key core players and if we don't do all we can to find them and do what we can to bring them into the fold, this team will end up being good, however, not good enough to become a legit contender. Minor surgery time is over. Rutherford is correct. We still need to do major surgery, so stop worrying about the costs

Hughes are the only ones we need to focus on keeping and obviously Miller as no one will want his contract

Hope Rutherford to be free to build a legit contender

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We need whatever gets us the cup.

Dunno if that includes Petey but if we lose him and dont get a cup during this core then we will have a lot of what if's...

i know he's just one player but he is pretty special. 

I just want one cup. We can suck for a decade after and I would still have a smile.

Judging from what this management has been able to do with limited assets and Cap room, I am confident that if they needed to move on from Petey , they will get us what we need and then some. Might even be able to find us the pieces to make us an instant contender, who knows.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Petie on a rate for 90ish points. Only 13g so far.

(Not really good leverage contract wise.)

But last year was great, 102 with 39 g. I don't think he'll crack 30g this year.

I'd say another bridge?

3 x 10M

Petey is on pace for 98 points, even with his “slump”.  The Canucks are already offering him $11.25 million, so not sure why $10 million is even in the discussion.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

This team is still missing 3-5 key core players and if we don't do all we can to find them and do what we can to bring them into the fold, this team will end up being good, however, not good enough to become a legit contender. Minor surgery time is over. Rutherford is correct. We still need to do major surgery, so stop worrying about the costs

Hughes are the only ones we need to focus on keeping and obviously Miller as no one will want his contract

Hope Rutherford to be free to build a legit contender

I think Demko, Hughes and Hronek are quite valuable. Miller when he’s on is pretty damn valuable too. I still have hope for both Räty & Podz and I like the draft work in selecting Brzustewicz and Tom Willander. 
 If we have to trade Pettersson because he just doesn’t want to be here then I could see us retooling on the fly and getting some promising young pieces. It would also be nice to have Kuzmenko gain favour of this coaching staff and re-find his game. I think if we have to change direction with moving Petey, we should also be looking at selling high on Boeser. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

QH is at worst top 3 in his position in the NHL. And has more points than Petey. And close enough in goals, as a defenseman.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is on pace for 98 points, even with his “slump”.  The Canucks are already offering him $11.25 million, so not sure why $10 million is even in the discussion.  

I wouldn’t go a dime over 11 million if we’re serious about being a contender. Thought I read some article where Petey said he wants to win and losing isn’t fun. Well in order to do that he has to leave some dollars on the table for other pieces. I guess we’ll find out soon how serious he is in creating a winner here in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

QH is at worst top 3 in his position in the NHL. And has more points than Petey. And close enough in goals, as a defenseman.

If we had to pick 1 player in each position to save it would be Miller, Hughes, & Demko. Miller has more points than Petey and he plays the harder game and matches up against other players top lines. To be honest I see Petey get the points but I don’t think he has that big of an impact on the game as Miller/Hughes/Demko. He’s definitely #4 for me in the list of important players on the team.

• Cheers 1