[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is on pace for 98 points, even with his “slump”.  The Canucks are already offering him $11.25 million, so not sure why $10 million is even in the discussion.  

If he turned down 11.25 million, then that is why 10 million is in the discussion. Probably should have taken that.

Petey keeps his cards pretty close to his chest. I do sometimes wonder if he sees Vancouver in his long term plans. I mean, he says some of the right things. But some things are adding up that don’t look favourable. His switching to a cut throat agent last year set a tone. He reluctance to negotiate very much this season despite the Canucks winning so much is also a concern. Plus, although this may neither be here nor there, but it’s odd how I’ve never really even heard him speak positively about having the Sedins with the organization. You’d think having fellow Swedes as coaching staff would be a huge plus, but I don’t know if I’ve ever heard him speak one positive word about those hall of famers… like ever. When we brought in Zadorov, literally one of the first things he did was comment on our Russian coaching staff.

And if you were Petey, would it bother you if the team you played on had drafted another player with the exact same name as you, who will be up in the NHL as early as next year?

I don’t know. I’d love to see him sign. He’s one of the best players we’ve had, and still has more potential. But those cards so close to his chest are hard to read, for sure.

12 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Petey keeps his cards pretty close to his chest. I do sometimes wonder if he sees Vancouver in his long term plans. I mean, he says some of the right things. But some things are adding up that don’t look favourable. His switching to a cut throat agent last year set a tone. He reluctance to negotiate very much this season despite the Canucks winning so much is also a concern. Plus, although this may neither be here nor there, but it’s odd how I’ve never really even heard him speak positively about having the Sedins with the organization. You’d think having fellow Swedes as coaching staff would be a huge plus, but I don’t know if I’ve ever heard him speak one positive word about those hall of famers… like ever. When we brought in Zadorov, literally one of the first things he did was comment on our Russian coaching staff.

And if you were Petey, would it bother you if the team you played on had drafted another player with the exact same name as you, who will be up in the NHL as early as next year?

I don’t know. I’d love to see him sign. He’s one of the best players we’ve had, and still has more potential. But those cards so close to his chest are hard to read, for sure.

That's the thing about negotiations we have no idea what they are like. I understand he wants to keep it out of the public eye until he's signed. It's we'd like to know if

there's progress, if it's stalled. Has it even gotten very far? Maybe they can ask Naslund to speak with him. Nazzy was captain so he knows what the pressure is like.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, if you have already been offered over $11 million, why would you then only take $10 million? 

Ummm, because if he turned it down, insisting that he should be paid amongst the very top players in the league, but isn't a top player in the league, negotiations start over. It was a gamble, didn't work out.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that’s why his next contract will be $14 million.  Will you be happy with that or will you be one of the posters running him out of town as well?

After 7 years on a bargain contract as one of the best players in the history of the NHL with a couple of Norris trophies? Yeah, I think I'll be Ok with that. How is that relevant to the Elias Pettersson contract thread?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not when he’s as inconsistent as he’s been.

He’s n his prime now, so he should play like it. If he wants more than $10M, he’ll need to be one of the leaders on the team. 

His consistency and overall play has gotten better in comparison to prior years. Even this month with him playing off is him still being a ppg player. 13 points in 12 games in December. 2 years ago this wouldn't be the case. 

Obviously it can be better. When he is on top of his game he is arguably our best and most clutch player and one of the best forwards in the league. He needs to get to a point where that's Petey is who we see for majority of a season. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

His consistency and overall play has gotten better in comparison to prior years. Even this month with him playing off is him still being a ppg player. 13 points in 12 games in December. 2 years ago this wouldn't be the case. 

Obviously it can be better. When he is on top of his game he is arguably our best and most clutch player and one of the best forwards in the league. He needs to get to a point where that's Petey is who we see for majority of a season. 

I think Miller and Hughes are just as clutch and vital to the team’s success. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, The Duke said:

I’m just having fun playing devil’s advocate.  

If people are lowballing at 9, that’s what I’d be replying with if i were his agent. 

If you’re trading him, when?  Blow up the season at the trade deadline or wait until summer?

What if the agent leaks that he’ll only re-sign if traded to a contender, lowering his value and potential trade partners?  I think we’d still get a good haul but the C replacement would be older or younger.. and not as good.  With Miller’s age it’ll be very tough to replace what Petey should be able to do for the next 8 years.

IMO 10 mil you can probably get him for 1, 2, maaaybe 3 years? - but I don’t know why he’d sign for 2 or 3 when he can just threaten to take his 1 year of RFA and it’s straight to UFA bank at that point. 

FWIW I don’t think he gets 13, probably more 11.5 - 12 range - and I think he puts down roots here and goes 8 years.  I’d take that, easily. But who knows?  He’s a tough guy to read and publicly he’s been fairly guarded about his future.

This is what I don’t understand and the only piece of info that makes me wonder if he actually does want to play somewhere else. 

If he wanted to be a Canuck long term, wouldn’t he just come out and say it—Like most players do when they’re heading into negotiations with the team that drafted them?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:33 PM, Slegr said:

If Petey truly cared about winning, he’d get a deal signed quickly so that he becomes less of a distraction for this club. We’ve had enough distractions in recent years. The Canucks have proven they can win now, and they’re committed to signing him. He needs to step up and get something figured out.

Fully agree. It’s a leadership move

37 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Ummm, because if he turned it down, insisting that he should be paid amongst the very top players in the league, but isn't a top player in the league, negotiations start over. It was a gamble, didn't work out.

Look at Auston Matthews.  Forget how well he's scoring right now.  He had a down year statistically (but not analytically) last season and he still got the bag.  If McDavid continued to struggle this season, do you think that would've affected his future salary?  Why do you think somone like Elias Pettersson is not one of the top players in the league?

By all means, go ahead and try to lowball Petey just because he's had an uneven season.  I'm sure that'll really help the negotiation process.  😒

16 hours ago, Joe King said:

Imagine if he was performing better,like he was before. We would probably not only be leading the league but have a points gap to boot.

probably would've signed by now if that was the case. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Miller and Hughes are just as clutch and vital to the team’s success. 

I think it's arguable when they're all at their best. The problem is getting to the point where he is at his best more often than not. Past 2 years he's been trending well but now more spotlight on him being a contract year. 

Even playing off Petey still leads us in GWGs this year and has led our team in that category since his arrival.

I expect he'll get hot again and it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Petey is a great player but I think he thinks he is more then what he really is. 

this is usually a sign of ego being pretty big - like larger than life kind of big. that kind of player who thinks himself as more than he is, usually want the largest stage. whether Petey is that player, is yet to be seen. He hasn't been able to perform on a regular basis shift by shift where he's a game breaker. He's a very good player, I'm not sure if I would classify him as a Crosby, heck, even Bedard, in my opinion is going to be a better player than Petey by the time he's the same age. The kid is on pace to score 30 goals this season as an 18 year old kid

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

LMAO at all the posters who thought Petey was going to sign under $10 million.  🤣

he's worth at least that. I think management knows this obviously. I think it might be term, not money that's holding up negotiations. 

reports say that he's thinking 3-4 years and then reassess the money and market situation right? I think management wants to lock him up to the max term if it's possible. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Quinn Hughes has the same agent. He also held out with Petey 2 years ago. 

Are you going to be saying the same thing about Hughes when his contract is up and he’s wanting $13-14 million? 

Because we all know that is exactly what’s going to happen. 

Yeah, but Hughes is breaking all kinds of records, he's also invested by being captain of the team (though, that probably doesn't mean much given Bo was captain, and he left). For me, Hughes is worth every penny. By the end of his career, if he's a Canuck through and through, he's going to be breaking all kinds of Canuck defenseman records. He's already on his way to doing that now. 

3 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

This team is still missing 3-5 key core players and if we don't do all we can to find them and do what we can to bring them into the fold, this team will end up being good, however, not good enough to become a legit contender. Minor surgery time is over. Rutherford is correct. We still need to do major surgery, so stop worrying about the costs

Hughes are the only ones we need to focus on keeping and obviously Miller as no one will want his contract

Hope Rutherford to be free to build a legit contender

what 3-5 key core players are you referring to? 

I consider Miller, Petey, Hughes, Demko, Brock as core pieces. What additional 3-5 pieces are you referring to?

I find it odd that the majority tries to read into things from a really negative perspective. Is it a coping mechanism kicking in? Preparing for the worst possible outcome and then not falling apart if it were to happen? 

I am nowhere near being concerned. He'll be a Canuck for a long time. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

I wouldn’t go a dime over 11 million if we’re serious about being a contender. Thought I read some article where Petey said he wants to win and losing isn’t fun. Well in order to do that he has to leave some dollars on the table for other pieces. I guess we’ll find out soon how serious he is in creating a winner here in Vancouver.

Petey's a hard guy to get a read on. I'd like to believe that he does eventually sign with the team.