[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

3 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

He'll be a Canuck for a long time. 

Maybe it's just preparing to be rejected by a star player. This franchise hasn't had too much to celebrate (in terms of championships), so it would suck if one of our franchise players doesn't stay here long term. 

What gives you the impression that he'll be a Canuck for a long time? 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but Hughes is breaking all kinds of records, he's also invested by being captain of the team (though, that probably doesn't mean much given Bo was captain, and he left). For me, Hughes is worth every penny. By the end of his career, if he's a Canuck through and through, he's going to be breaking all kinds of Canuck defenseman records. He's already on his way to doing that now. 

So, just so we’re clear, you’re okay to pay Hughes $14 million on his next contract? 

2 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

If he turned down 11.25 million, then that is why 10 million is in the discussion. Probably should have taken that.

The team reportedly offered 11.25? 

Petey wants 12.5? 

I think the number if I had to guess, will be either 11.75 or 12M on the dot. There's your middle ground, no? 

37 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Look at Auston Matthews.  Forget how well he's scoring right now.  He had a down year statistically (but not analytically) last season and he still got the bag.  If McDavid continued to struggle this season, do you think that would've affected his future salary?  Why do you think somone like Elias Pettersson is not one of the top players in the league?

By all means, go ahead and try to lowball Petey just because he's had an uneven season.  I'm sure that'll really help the negotiation process.  😒

I don't agree with the hard lowball tactic as is just tends to piss of the player and makes them less likely to sign a discount (just look at Horvat's negotiations as an example). However players like Matthews and McDavid have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a down year. Matthews is a 2-time Hart finalist (1-time winner), Ted Lindsay winner, and 2-time Richard winner. Than kind of (recent) hardware earns the benefit of the doubt. 

So far Pettersson has had one great, but not trophy winning, season and the question was whether he could follow it up. It looks like he might actually be able to match his production but has been very inconsistent in his play so far this season and without a Hart type season shouldn't be demanding money to match Matthews or McDavid anyway. I still think he's probably worth $10.5-$11M but if he's actually demanding $12.5M+ then we have to take a hard look at trading him.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, just so we’re clear, you’re okay to pay Hughes $14 million on his next contract? 

Well, there is something called negotiations, but if the cap weren't an issue, he'd be worth whatever he gets and more. 

But since there is a cap, then no, I don't think he'll get 14M. but he's certainly getting more than what he's currently being paid that's for damn sure. 

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I don't agree with the hard lowball tactic as is just tends to piss of the player and makes them less likely to sign a discount (just look at Horvat's negotiations as an example). However players like Matthews and McDavid have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a down year. Matthews is a 2-time Hart finalist (1-time winner), Ted Lindsay winner, and 2-time Richard winner. Than kind of (recent) hardware earns the benefit of the doubt. 

So far Pettersson has had one great, but not trophy winning, season and the question was whether he could follow it up. It looks like he might actually be able to match his production but has been very inconsistent in his play so far this season and without a Hart type season shouldn't be demanding money to match Matthews or McDavid anyway. I still think he's probably worth $10.5-$11M but if he's actually demanding $12.5M+ then we have to take a hard look at trading him.

Maybe Petey is demanding that, cause he knows the Canucks won't actually give it to him. 

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think it's arguable when they're all at their best. The problem is getting to the point where he is at his best more often than not. Past 2 years he's been trending well but now more spotlight on him being a contract year. 

Even playing off Petey still leads us in GWGs this year and has led our team in that category since his arrival.

I expect he'll get hot again and it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. 

The problem with this fanbase is a lot of them are short term thinkers.  Two years ago many people wanted to send Petey to the AHL.  This year they want him traded.  Last year some posters were trying to run Miller out of town.  Now he’s everyone’s favourite.  Two years ago, Hughes was a one dimensional Dman who could never be an all around Dman and win a Norris trophy.  Now he’s the second coming of Bobby Orr.

I could go on, you get the point.  On top of that we have the worst media in the NHL other than maybe Toronto.  

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that pretty much every GM in the NHL would love to have Petey on their team and they would all open up their chequebooks to sign him.  Some of the posts in this thread make me laugh so hard I’m crying.  It’s pretty sad really…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

what 3-5 key core players are you referring to? 

I consider Miller, Petey, Hughes, Demko, Brock as core pieces. What additional 3-5 pieces are you referring to?

Only thing I think we really need is another top 6 FWD that brings solid elements we lack and top 4 D that can eat minutes like Hughes/Hronek.

For that we gotta wait till the off-season to try to bring in. Maybe moving Kuz helps us get one but more than likely a thing we wait.

One top 4 D to help ease minutes for the top pairing, for injury insurance in case one of Hughes/Hronek go down and to have a youngster like Willander/Brzustewicz to mentor. 

One solid veteran forward to help round out the top 6. You usually see solid duos with good top 6lines If Miller has Boeser get Petey a solid forward if Kuz doesn't work with Tocchet. 

We got prospects in Lekker, Pod, Hog that can help. Maybe one eventually becomes solid top 6 FWD so maybe only one veteran added. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with this fanbase is a lot of them are short term thinkers.  Two years ago many people wanted to send Petey to the AHL.  This year they want him traded.  Last year some posters were trying to run Miller out of town.  Now he’s everyone’s favourite.  Two years ago, Hughes was a one dimensional Dman who could never be an all around Dman and win a Norris trophy.  Now he’s the second coming of Bobby Orr.

I could go on, you get the point.  On top of that we have the worst media in the NHL other than maybe Toronto.  

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that pretty much every GM in the NHL would love to have Petey on their team and they would all open up their chequebooks to sign him.  Some of the posts in this thread make me laugh so hard I’m crying.  It’s pretty sad really…

Usually what we've seen all-the-time is when our star players go on a tear after a lull then people's temperament changes quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For that we gotta wait till the off-season to try to bring in

the problem with saying this, is that if we wait by the off-season, then we're pretty much going to lose our bottom six players that have been so good this season. Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty even may not come back and they've been solid additions to the depth of this team. So on top of trying to add another top six forward, and a top 4 defenseman, the team will need to look at trying to either resign those guys, or adding guys that will be of similar ilk either from the farm or free agency. 

it's going to be a tough off-season, especially if Petey has signed by that point. I'm not sure we have a repeat of a good season if the Pettersson extension doesn't occur before then. 

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If over the next 3 years he continues to develop, wins a Conn Smythe, a Norris, and/or puts up 100 point seasons? I would whole heartedly give him 14 per. Mind you the cap will probably be pushing 100 million by the time his extension kicked in putting him at 14% of the cap... that would be 11.6 million in today's cap space. Hardly an overpayment for such feats.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe Petey is demanding that, cause he knows the Canucks won't actually give it to him. 

You mean essentially trying to force a trade without actually requesting one? It's always a possibility.

Honestly at this point I'm still not sure how much weight I give that last rumor and am willing to wait a little longer still before I try to ship out Petey or crucify PA/JR. I am open to the idea of trading Pettersson though if talks don't heat up because there would be a very significant return.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

the problem with saying this, is that if we wait by the off-season, then we're pretty much going to lose our bottom six players that have been so good this season. Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty even may not come back and they've been solid additions to the depth of this team. So on top of trying to add another top six forward, and a top 4 defenseman, the team will need to look at trying to either resign those guys, or adding guys that will be of similar ilk either from the farm or free agency. 

it's going to be a tough off-season, especially if Petey has signed by that point. I'm not sure we have a repeat of a good season if the Pettersson extension doesn't occur before then. 

If the cap goes up say 4M next off-season we have almost 31M in cap next year, a little more than 36M if we trade Kuzy away(assuming we take an expiring contract or no cap back). All of these guys are UFAs save for Petey and Hronek who could take up the majority of the cap space we have, even without Kuz's cap hit it would still probably be a bit more than half. 

Might have enough to add one top 6 FWD or top 4 D if we move Kuzmenko and save cap(potentially trading for expiring contracts and/or cheaper players) after re-signing our bottom 6 and etc. 

After that I would probably look at moving Garland between next off-season and the following off-season. IMO a youngster perhaps stepping up would help facilitate that since we'd want to replace Garland with someone who is capable and cheaper. 

We have a lot of guys on the cusp and the team would welcome cheaper capable players. 

It'll be a tough and big off-season.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that’s why his next contract will be $14 million.  Will you be happy with that or will you be one of the posters running him out of town as well?

He's probably not going to  break 30g this year. 12M-14M for a 20+ goal scorer?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe it's just preparing to be rejected by a star player. This franchise hasn't had too much to celebrate (in terms of championships), so it would suck if one of our franchise players doesn't stay here long term. 

What gives you the impression that he'll be a Canuck for a long time? 

Because there is nothing saying he wouldn't want to stay. He wants to play for a competitive team, great. No idea why Canucks media and half the fan base then think that means they have to bow down and kiss his feet for him to be happy here. He didn't want to go through a tear down rebuild because that would be his career done for.  

Where else is he signing? Why is that a better spot than Vancouver? Why is it that we consistently see stars re-sign with their teams rather than go to UFA? 

99% says he signs long-term. Not sure why people are stuck in the 1% panicking and breathing into a brown paper bag. 

With this long stretch where the other teams are catching up in games played, we are getting a better sense of how much Peteys production has slowed down.  He's now 14th in league scoring and that's with Aho and Makar having played several less games but only 1 or 2 points behind him.  So Petey is somewhere between 14th and 16th in league scoring this season (so far).  Not sure how he feels 12.5M is a good AAV for him.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Look at Auston Matthews.  Forget how well he's scoring right now.  He had a down year statistically (but not analytically) last season and he still got the bag.  If McDavid continued to struggle this season, do you think that would've affected his future salary?  Why do you think somone like Elias Pettersson is not one of the top players in the league?

By all means, go ahead and try to lowball Petey just because he's had an uneven season.  I'm sure that'll really help the negotiation process.  😒

You need to take the emotions out of it. Rutherford said recently that he believes Petey can be a top 5 player in the league. That's a wonderful ceiling.

But that means there's 4 or 5 generational or superstar guys above him. 

Objectively that tracks.

Why should he get McDavid money?

8 hours ago, van_can_fan said:

This is what I don’t understand and the only piece of info that makes me wonder if he actually does want to play somewhere else. 

If he wanted to be a Canuck long term, wouldn’t he just come out and say it—Like most players do when they’re heading into negotiations with the team that drafted them?

Thank You, it just doesn't add up for me. I would like to think he does and he wants to contribute to a winning team but I am just not seeing that. 

Its all looking like he is looking for max salary at any cost. 

Just like Bo, we will just have to wait to see how the cards roll out I guess.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Because there is nothing saying he wouldn't want to stay. He wants to play for a competitive team, great. No idea why Canucks media and half the fan base then think that means they have to bow down and kiss his feet for him to be happy here. He didn't want to go through a tear down rebuild because that would be his career done for.  

Where else is he signing? Why is that a better spot than Vancouver? Why is it that we consistently see stars re-sign with their teams rather than go to UFA? 

99% says he signs long-term. Not sure why people are stuck in the 1% panicking and breathing into a brown paper bag. 

I mean, there is the alternative and the option of signing an offersheet with another team. 

56 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thank You, it just doesn't add up for me. I would like to think he does and he wants to contribute to a winning team but I am just not seeing that. 

Its all looking like he is looking for max salary at any cost. 

Just like Bo, we will just have to wait to see how the cards roll out I guess.

Bo is a 60 point, defensively deficient centre who does not drive a line. Petey is a far superior player. It’s not even close. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is a 60 point, defensively deficient centre who does not drive a line. Petey is a far superior player. It’s not even close. 

I am not talking about them as players I am talking about their similar ways in contract negotiations Alf. Their very similar "I am going to stop negotiations and just play hockey" schtick. In other words, I am going to pout until I get what I want attitude.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am not talking about them as players I am talking about their similar ways in contract negotiations Alf. Their very similar "I am going to stop negotiations and just play hockey" schtick. In other words, I am going to pout until I get what I want attitude.

Bo was a coming UFA. Petey is a coming RFA. Plus Petey is a super duper star and Bo plays 2/3 C. Just not comparable. 
Petey will sign with us for 9.5 x 3-4 years. 
These soon to be empties know. 
51F736A4-9973-4879-936A-B28B796A0AD5.jpeg.3abc25d903f5e14cb5a1589a012ee456.jpeg

• Upvote 1