[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

If over the next 3 years he continues to develop, wins a Conn Smythe, a Norris, and/or puts up 100 point seasons? I would whole heartedly give him 14 per. Mind you the cap will probably be pushing 100 million by the time his extension kicked in putting him at 14% of the cap... that would be 11.6 million in today's cap space. Hardly an overpayment for such feats.

Thumbs up on this

Pretty sure players and agents approach all negotiations with a % of cap. 

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Is Tavares a good comparison. A secondary star on a good team. 11M

But Tavares is good on faceoffs. 

Tavares has to be the biggest overpayment of a contract in recent memory when you compare it to the percentage of the cap that he has taken up over the last years.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Is Tavares a good comparison. A secondary star on a good team. 11M

But Tavares is good on faceoffs. 

When Tavares signed his contract it was the second highest contract in the league behind only McDavid. Tavares was always overpaid and is a major reason for the broken cap structure Toronto has had since.

Just now, Diamonds said:

When Tavares signed his contract it was the second highest contract in the league behind only McDavid. Tavares was always overpaid and is a major reason for the broken cap structure Toronto has had since.

Yes I think we all remember the drama. But since then the actual cost of the player. And where Petie is in comparison.  Excluding the TO toxicity. 

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

You need to take the emotions out of it. Rutherford said recently that he believes Petey can be a top 5 player in the league. That's a wonderful ceiling.

But that means there's 4 or 5 generational or superstar guys above him. 

Objectively that tracks.

Why should he get McDavid money?

McDavid signed his contract 5 years ago. That contract isn’t even relevant anymore. By the time McDavid signs his new contract he will be at $16-17 million. 

If Petey signs at $12 million next summer he will still be $4-5 million below McDavid in 3 years. Which is exactly where he is now. 

Not sure why this is so hard to understand. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

If over the next 3 years he continues to develop, wins a Conn Smythe, a Norris, and/or puts up 100 point seasons? I would whole heartedly give him 14 per. Mind you the cap will probably be pushing 100 million by the time his extension kicked in putting him at 14% of the cap... that would be 11.6 million in today's cap space. Hardly an overpayment for such feats.

A lot of what ifs in your scenario. Also, what if Petey is the one who wins the Conn Smythe and not Hughes?  Will the Canucks renegotiate his contract at that time?

If you want a 25 year old star centre to commit to the team for 8 years and basically sign his retirement contract at age 26 then that player is going to want a buffer built into that contract to account for future success. Pretty simple. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A lot of what ifs in your scenario. Also, what if Petey is the one who wins the Conn Smythe and not Hughes?  Will the Canucks renegotiate his contract at that time?

If you want a 25 year old star centre to commit to the team for 8 years and basically sign his retirement contract at age 26 then that player is going to want a buffer built into that contract to account for future success. Pretty simple. 

I don't think you can sign a huge deal based on 'what ifs'.

Not a shot at Petie. 

(Loves Petie)

But if he has a great showing in the playoffs. And if he's going to win that that hardware, which is a huge task in itself, these asks are so far away from where we are right now. As a team. And his role in it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I gave 4 scenarios, one of them simply being "he continues to develop" that is almost surely a given.

As for renegotiating Petey's contract? That is not part of the CBA. I'm kind of shocked you didn't know that.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:04 PM, N4ZZY said:

Quinn definitely deserves a lot more than what he's making right now. That's a value contract right now. 

I love Petey, but I'm not sure that he deserves to be making McDavid kind of money. I wonder what the hold up is. He was concerned about playing for a winner, and Allvin and Rutherford to this point, has proven that they're committed to at the very least, building a winner. So it has to be the dollars, doesn't it? 

That's my concern too.  Of course we all want to keep him on the team, but not at the cost of losing 3-4 other guys because we're overpaying on 2-3 players.  If EP gets $11-12M/yr, then what does Hronek get? It sets the bar for the rest of the team and that doesn't work in a cap era.  So unfortunately they have to look at moving him if they don't lock him up for the right price.  

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think the management team will do what's best for the Canucks.  Rest assured, that

whatever happens, the team will continue to grow into a contender.

Yup.

They weren’t afraid of trading Bo last year.  So they have a number in mind and if they can’t come to a compromise, EP will be traded.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I find it odd that the majority tries to read into things from a really negative perspective. Is it a coping mechanism kicking in? Preparing for the worst possible outcome and then not falling apart if it were to happen? 

I am nowhere near being concerned. He'll be a Canuck for a long time. 

History is a good indicator of the future. They didn’t let Bo’s situation carry to the end of the year. They dealt him as soon as they realized the numbers did not make sense. Don’t be surprised if that happens with Petey.

Our management has balls. More than we’ve seen in guys like JB, Gillis and no nuts Nonis. I would rank them around Burkies level or maybe even higher 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

History is a good indicator of the future. They didn’t let Bo’s situation carry to the end of the year. They dealt him as soon as they realized the numbers did not make sense. Don’t be surprised if that happens with Petey.

Yup.  IMO, 12.5 is too much money.  I can't see how Petey is worth more than Pastrnak.  Don't care if Pasta is a winger.  His body of work far exceeds Petey.  In other words, he has earned the 11.25M AAV.  Not sure what Petey has accomplished to earn 1.25M more than Pastrnak.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I gave 4 scenarios, one of them simply being "he continues to develop" that is almost surely a given.

As for renegotiating Petey's contract? That is not part of the CBA. I'm kind of shocked you didn't know that.

Yes, I know you can’t re-negotiate the contract. I was being sarcastic. 

If the Canucks want Petey to sign an 8 year deal, Petey is certainly going to include a buffer in that deal for future success.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDavid signed his contract 5 years ago. That contract isn’t even relevant anymore. By the time McDavid signs his new contract he will be at $16-17 million. 

If Petey signs at $12 million next summer he will still be $4-5 million below McDavid in 3 years. Which is exactly where he is now. 

Not sure why this is so hard to understand. 

Are we basing our team makeup in quantities of McDavids?

Show me why he deserves a 5 mil raise based on his performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure there's an injury of some sort that is affecting his play and consequently, his negotiations. 

What if it takes a long time to regain his shot? Like what happened to Boeser. 

The timing of all this isn't great. But he will get paid. But how much is the PA question.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Our management has balls. More than we’ve seen in guys like JB, Gillis and no nuts Nonis. I would rank them around Burkies level or maybe even higher 

Not only do they have the balls, they also have a keen sense for making very good trades and

fair player contracts.  They also have a top-notch scouting department.  I'm betting they will

secure a fair contract with Petey; if not, they will get a very good return on a trade.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 3

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup.  IMO, 12.5 is too much money.  I can't see how Petey is worth more than Pastrnak.  Don't care if Pasta is a winger.  His body of work far exceeds Petey.  In other words, he has earned the 11.25M AAV.  Not sure what Petey has accomplished to earn 1.25M more than Pastrnak.

Canucks management:

IMG_6063.png

• Like 1