[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

11 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I find it odd that the majority tries to read into things from a really negative perspective. Is it a coping mechanism kicking in? Preparing for the worst possible outcome and then not falling apart if it were to happen? 

I am nowhere near being concerned. He'll be a Canuck for a long time. 

It's total nonsense the way some fans are turning on Petey.  The fall from grace has been

spectacular.  Trade rumours and speculations about ridiculously high contracts and that

he doesn't want to play in Vancouver, have soured people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why does Dahlin deserve a $5 million raise?  Petey was a 66 point player when he signed his current contract.  Now he’s a 102 point player. That’s why…

Because thats a good deal for a #1 defenseman. Ofcourse Hughes will get that too. Also, Buffalo has the cap space to do it, and are not on the verge of a CUP

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Contracts are based on comps around the league. That’s how agents negotiate.  Dahlin got a $5 million raise. For what?  Petey is certainly getting as similar raise, give or take…

I’m just curious what you think is the max the Canucks should give Petey.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Contracts are based on comps around the league. That’s how agents negotiate.  Dahlin got a $5 million raise. For what?  Petey is certainly getting as similar raise, give or take…

OK. Miller is a better producer at 8 mil. Why should Petey make 4.5 mil more than Miller?

• Upvote 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

Because thats a good deal for a #1 defenseman. Ofcourse Hughes will get that too. Also, Buffalo has the cap space to do it, and are not on the verge of a CUP

Dahlin is a 70 point #1 defenceman on a non playoff team.  He certainly is not worth $11 million.  He got it based on future potential and his buffer was built into that in order to sign an 8 year deal…

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

It's total nonsense the way some fans are turning on Petey.  The fall from grace has been

spectacular.  Trade rumours and speculations about ridiculously high contracts and that

he doesn't want to play in Vancouver, have soured people.

lol that’s typical Vancouver and Canadian markets in general.. they turn on players the moment they go on a slump and will throw out numbers from years ago to justify whatever they want to spew out. Agents are the one that do the negotiating.. they probably tell the player this is your market value and we go from there. Players don’t go to their agents I don’t care if I’m worth 11mil I’ll take a pay cut and take 9mil

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I’m just curious what you think is the max the Canucks should give Petey.

His value today is the same as Pastrnak.  Obviously Pat Brisson wants more to account for future potential on an 8 year deal for a two way 100 point centre which is more valuable than a winger.  That’s why they are supposedly $130k apart.

I am sure the parties will come to an agreement somewhere in the middle.  I can see a $95 million total deal happening.  8 years at $11,875,000 per.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Pat Brisson isn’t using Miller as a comp.  If Miller signed for only $8 million, good for him.  He’s almost 31 years old, so he’s already played through his prime years.

Its not just up to Petey's agent. And you're dodging the question. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I know you can’t re-negotiate the contract. I was being sarcastic. 

If the Canucks want Petey to sign an 8 year deal, Petey is certainly going to include a buffer in that deal for future success.  

He could always request a trade if the team tanks. As long term contract is far from a death sentence.

In fact I'm sure he would be the one pushing for the extra term. A 5 year deal would be ideal for the club. Takes him right up to the plateau of his career and then they can decide if he is still worth investing in at that point. Much less risk.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

He could always request a trade if the team tanks. As long term contract is far from a death sentence.

In fact I'm sure he would be the one pushing for the extra term. A 5 year deal would be ideal for the club. Takes him right up to the plateau of his career and then they can decide if he is still worth investing in at that point. Much less risk.

I think a 4 year deal is on the table.  I think it will either be 4 years or 8 years…

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Its not just up to Petey's agent. And you're dodging the question. 

I’m not dodging anything.  Miller’s deal is irrelevant to Petey.  Just like it will be irrelevant to Hughes.  Miller is close to 31 years old.  He took his bag off a 99 point season at 29 years old. The Canucks literally admitted they are using Pastrnak as a comp, so why are you even bringing up Miller?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK. Miller is a better producer at 8 mil. Why should Petey make 4.5 mil more than Miller?

Is he though?  Certainly this season, but last season belonged to EP.

Miller's contract was a 'sunset contract' that just started at 30yrs old.  He's playing much better

than $8m, but not expected to do that for the entire 7yrs.  Pete just turned 25yrs, so the

expectancy of his production rate is longer. 

I don't know what EP gets, but I think it will be around $11.5m

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m not dodging anything.  Miller’s deal is irrelevant to Petey.  Just like it will be irrelevant to Hughes.  Miller is close to 31 years old.  He took his bag off a 99 point season at 29 years old. The Canucks literally admitted they are using Pastrnak as a comp, so why are you even bringing up Miller?

I do agree they are both different players and different age points 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

no one is turning on him. But you have to look at what other successful teams stars have done to win. They all took a bit less to win the cup. Now look at the Edmontons and TO's where the guys took as much of the bag as possible. 

I disagree Bob.  The souring process around here is gaining legs.

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It just comes down to cap realities. Petey is awesome and I hope he stays, but not at any price. Doesn't mean I've "turned" on him. 

I wasn't thinking of you in this instance.  Nobody wants to see EP signed at any cost.  The

management team will not do that. 

• Vintage 1

We absolutely cannot become top heavy in cap like Edmonton or especially Toronto. 

For example Toronto lost Zach Hyman and Sammy Lafferty.  2 guys that could have helped them build towards a stronger team.

(Hyman has 20g in 32 games.)

If we have a cap heavy first line that gets shut down in the playoffs. We are going to need our Bluegers and Lafferty's.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I know it's random but I think NJ would have swapped EP40 for Jack Hughes before this year... man would have been nice.

I don't feel safe to lock EP40 for a long term 12 mill contract.  Give him something shorter at less... he definitely is not at the McDavid, Mackinnon, Matthews level yet and should not be paid as such.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1