[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m not dodging anything.  Miller’s deal is irrelevant to Petey.  Just like it will be irrelevant to Hughes.  Miller is close to 31 years old.  He took his bag off a 99 point season at 29 years old. The Canucks literally admitted they are using Pastrnak as a comp, so why are you even bringing up Miller?

same reason you bring up McDavid. 

You haven't really provided any rationale why Petey should make 12.5, other than "because Pasternak". 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I disagree Bob.  The souring process around here is gaining legs.

well, thats kind of what happens tho. At the end of the day, all the money for this comes from us, the fans. So when we all shell out for games, etc. yeah we have a stake in it and want to see a winning team. 

When the fanbase thinks all a guy is in it for is the money its going to get ugly. 

Edited by Bob Long

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Is he though?  Certainly this season, but last season belonged to EP.

Miller's contract was a 'sunset contract' that just started at 30yrs old.  He's playing much better

than $8m, but not expected to do that for the entire 7yrs.  Pete just turned 25yrs, so the

expectancy of his production rate is longer. 

I don't know what EP gets, but I think it will be around $11.5m

I think if he gets 11.5 million of our CAP he will be traded pretty quick, looking at what Alvin has managed to do.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

same reason you bring up McDavid. 

You haven't really provided any rationale why Petey should make 12.5, other than "because Pasternak". 

I never said Petey should get $12.5 million.  I think they will close the deal at $11.875 million which I already quoted in another post.  Also, you are the one who brought up McDavid not me, I only replied to your comment…

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

You need to take the emotions out of it. Rutherford said recently that he believes Petey can be a top 5 player in the league. That's a wonderful ceiling.

But that means there's 4 or 5 generational or superstar guys above him. 

Objectively that tracks.

Why should he get McDavid money?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is a 70 point #1 defenceman on a non playoff team.  He certainly is not worth $11 million.  He got it based on future potential and his buffer was built into that in order to sign an 8 year deal…

No they needed to start a core. They dont have a goalie... they have like 38 million in cap space at trade deadline or something. So you keep him build around a Dman, get a decent goalie, maybe a Petterson at trade deadline.

12 minutes ago, Tusk said:

EP40 for Bedard and unconditional 1st (which should be Macklin Celebrini) At least Chicago can afford to pay more than 9mil. Canucks cannot. If Petey thinks he is the whole team, he should try out Chicago

lol EP is not the whole team but when he struggles the team struggles.. that much is pretty obvious.. and EP for bedard and a 1st? EP + Hughes and even that's a maybe.. since Bedard is guaranteed for 6 more seasons

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

No they needed to start a core. They dont have a goalie... they have like 38 million in cap space at trade deadline or something. So you keep him build around a Dman, get a decent goalie, maybe a Petterson at trade deadline.

Well, Petey is also a part of our core.  Petey, Hughes and Demko.  That’s our core.  Miller is almost 31 so he’s an aging veteran.  So, according to your logic we need to overpay to keep Petey because he is a core player just like Dahlin…

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said Petey should get $12.5 million.  I think they will close the deal at $11.875 million which I already quoted in another post.  Also, you are the one who brought up McDavid not me, I only replied to your comment…

Ok let's try to objectively deal with 11.875 then. When did Petey score 60 goals?

at this point they might as well trade EP because the fanbase thinks he should only get 9-9.5 sub 10mil otherwise he's overpaid and probably rip into him everytime he's in a slump etc etc.. there's almost no chance in hell he's signing for sub 11.. he just needs to point to marner tavares and huberdeau..  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Ok let's try to objectively deal with 11.875 then. When did Petey score 60 goals?

When did Panarin score 60 goals?  How about Marner?  Does every player who gets $11 million+ need to be a 60 goal scorer?

And for the 1000th time so you are really paying attention, I said if they want Petey to sign an 8 year deal then just like Dahlin they are going to need to pay for future success as well as future cap increases that has to be factored into the deal…

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

we are comparing winger snipers to centers playmaker now?? so when did pastrnak have more than 60 assist? or have more takeaways than giveaways? or take faceoffs?

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well, Petey is also a part of our core.  Petey, Hughes and Demko.  That’s our core.  Miller is almost 31 so he’s an aging veteran.  So, according to your logic we need to overpay to keep Petey because he is a core player just like Dahlin…

JTM is just starting to get to peak. Boeser and Demko will need new contracts. Losing Petterson wont be as harmful as if we over pay him

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

at this point they might as well trade EP because the fanbase thinks he should only get 9-9.5 sub 10mil otherwise he's overpaid and probably rip into him everytime he's in a slump etc etc.. there's almost no chance in hell he's signing for sub 11.. he just needs to point to marner tavares and huberdeau..  

This fanbase doesn’t deserve a Stanley Cup.  And God already knows this.  That’s why we have never won the cup and probably never will.  Probably the same reason why a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup since 1993.  I have never seen a fanbase rip into their own players more than the fanbases in Canada…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

When did Panarin score 60 goals?  How about Marner?  Does every player who gets $11 million+ need to be a 60 goal scorer?

And for the 1000th time so you are really paying attention, I said if they want Petey to sign an 8 year deal then just like Dahlin they are going to need to pay for future success as well as future cap increases that has to be factored into the deal…

No I get it. Paying for 'future success ' has got a lot of teams into trouble. If Petey really wants to be on a winner he needs to come down off the numbers you are suggesting. He can do a shorter deal for less, win a cup, then cash in.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

mackinnon never scored more than 42 goals and only played 3 or maybe 4 full season once.. so why is no one talking about mackinnon never scoring 60 goals.. or play a full season more than 3-4 times?

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Maybe Calgary would retain %50 on Huberdeau on a trade for Petey. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This fanbase doesn’t deserve a Stanley Cup.  And God already knows this.  That’s why we have never won the cup and probably never will.  Probably the same reason why a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup since 1993.  I have never seen a fanbase rip into their own players more than the fanbases in Canada…

God?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No I get it. Paying for 'future success ' has got a lot of teams into trouble. If Petey really wants to be on a winner he needs to come down off the numbers you are suggesting. He can do a shorter deal for less, win a cup, then cash in.

so why is it only EP needs to take a shorter deal for less while everyone else is taking max and still win their cup? the onus shouldn't be on the players to take less.. it should be on the management to take advantage of players when they are still RFA which the canucks have failed to do. Colorado and tampa didn't win the cup because their player took less.. they won the cup coz they were able to capitalize when their star players were still on their rfa contracts

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like that number as well but I hope it’s for 7-8 years and not 4-5. 

Theres 101 things that could be holding up this negotiation starting with “every penny counts.”  Petey could have also told Brisson to wait until the summer.  Or Brisson could have told Petey to hold off as he does his usual ball breaker holdout routine. Management could want a longer deal, while Petey is hoping to sign a bump in 3-4 years like Matthews, even if it isn’t at Matthews AAV right now.  

And since Petey is an RFA in the middle of a playoff push - there’s 0% chance he gets moved at this deadline.  There’s no rush at all beyond fan anxiety.   Tocchet and the team can tune this out.  It’s a summer thing. 

With that said, Allvin *did* trade Horvat, so I don’t think anyone is safe and I hope they’re exploring all avenues.  Management is good at keeping stuff like that out of the media. Would be super interesting to see their contingency plans.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

so why is it only EP needs to take a shorter deal for less while everyone else is taking max and still win their cup? the onus shouldn't be on the players to take less.. it should be on the management to take advantage of players when they are still RFA which the canucks have failed to do. Colorado and tampa didn't win the cup because their player took less.. they won the cup coz they were able to capitalize when their star players were still on their rfa contracts

Nope MacKinnon did take less. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's total nonsense the way some fans are turning on Petey.  The fall from grace has been

spectacular.  Trade rumours and speculations about ridiculously high contracts and that

he doesn't want to play in Vancouver, have soured people.

Petey can end it all with the swipe of a pen. 

He’s the one who’s deciding not to commit to the team as of yet. This is what happens in a Canadian market and everyone knows it 

EP40 is in full control 

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Maybe Calgary would retain %50 on Huberdeau on a trade for Petey. 

😂  I know this is either a joke or a classic Tusk post but this is why I’m glad ice in the veins Allvin / JR are at the helm and not CDC.  

We’d already be shopping him for peanuts and driving him to the airport for not taking a 10x8 a firm handshake and a steak dinner.

• Thanks 1