[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This fanbase doesn’t deserve a Stanley Cup.  And God already knows this.  That’s why we have never won the cup and probably never will.  Probably the same reason why a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup since 1993.  I have never seen a fanbase rip into their own players more than the fanbases in Canada…

Says the guy bitching about Boeser's one bad game and ripping Tocchet for not benching him. 🤔 Why do you high and mighty folks like to pretend we're the only fanbase that rips players. Our fanbase is massive, not everyone is gonna agree on every player. So it's not the entire fanbase victimizing poor Petey, I'd say it isn't even close to half. You never seen a group rip their own players as much probably cause you only ever interacted with us. Lol. So yeah, that list is probably pretty short. But every fanbase rips it's players. And some of y'all get a bit too sensitive about criticisms of players.

Canadian fanbases have stronger more vocal opinions. But that's the case for any major team. LA Lakers fans rip their players all the time. Even Lebron James they never fully embraced, even after winning them a title. The Dallas Cowboys, the Yankees. When you are the face, you're gonna catch a lot of heat. Somehow Canada is bad because we love the team and are vocal about it, but that's the case for other major teams in other major sports. I'd even argue Lakers fans are worse than the worst Canadian hockey fans. But I guess "God" hates us. That victim mentality you have is really shining through.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nope MacKinnon did take less. 

lol mackinnon did not take less.. he signed his deal coming off 53 points.. he was signed to at the time 8.7% of the salary cap.. and he had worse numbers than EP did in his first 3 seasons every season.. he signed a deal similar to jack hughes.. the player gambled and lost.. mackinnon first 3 season was ok.. he actually struggled in his second season and was ok in his 3rd.. then he regressed again the 1st year signing the contract.. out performing your contract again doesn't = he took a discount.. he was top 50 in cap.. but he was no where in the top 50 players at the time.

just because the cap went up another 10mil since he signed his contract doesn't = he took a discount

Edited by wai_lai416
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol mackinnon did not take less.. he signed his deal coming off 53 points.. he was signed to at the time 8.7% of the salary cap.. and he had worse numbers than EP did in his first 3 seasons every season.. he signed a deal similar to jack hughes.. the player gambled and lost.. mackinnon first 3 season was ok.. he actually struggled in his second season and was ok in his 3rd.. then he regressed again the 1st year signing the contract.. out performing your contract again doesn't = he took a discount.. he was top 50 in cap.. but he was no where in the top 50 players at the time.

just because the cap went up another 10mil since he signed his contract doesn't = he took a discount

Lol yes he did. Go back and read the press on his deal and what he said about it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Lol yes he did. Go back and read the press on his deal and what he said about it.

because the player said so = he took a discount?? so did he look into his crystal ball and guaranteed he was going to be the player he is today?? you can only take a discount on ur contract if he took less than what he have actual accomplished.. so what have he done in the first 3 seasons to get 8.7% of the cap and say that's a discount? his first 4 seasons in the league he was no where near a top 50 player.. by the same logic i guess QH took a discount too then when he signed his contract based on his 2nd season because he knows he was guaranteed to be a ppg player..

40 minutes ago, The Duke said:

😂  I know this is either a joke or a classic Tusk post but this is why I’m glad ice in the veins Allvin / JR are at the helm and not CDC.  

We’d already be shopping him for peanuts and driving him to the airport for not taking a 10x8 a firm handshake and a steak dinner.

Calgary was in the same position as we are with Petterson and signed him at 10.5x8 . Huberdeau had 115 points 2 years ago. while getting 5.6 Million.

Now he is getting nothing done to control or contribute to the team.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Petey thread, with MacKinnon and Huberdeau making appearances. Too funny.

Petey shouldn't be anywhere near MacKinnon dollars ($12.6), Mac is at a whole different level.

For the past 7 consecutive years MacK has been at over 100 point pace, while producing huge numbers every playoffs, and he brought a SC to his team

EP40 has no where near the same body of work. Somewhere in between Aho and Tkapuke should be the comps for salary, but I prefer to fill other needs here that can be acquired in trading him. 

We're finally building a winner here, and the Alien isn't above the team.

sry being at a 100 point pace doesn't = 100 points as pointed out billions of time by poster on the boeser thread just because he's on pace for 30+ goals 70+ points over 82 games doesn't make him a 30 goal scorer. he's still a sub 30 goal sub 70 point player. EP only playoff appearance is still better than Mackinnon's first 2.. and we'll never know about future coz the canucks never made the playoff. should he get 12.6? no.. closer to 11-11.5.. not even sure how aho is even a comparable.. he's significantly lower in ppg currently and previous seasons.. and MT is struggling hard to produce in florida.. canucks already missed their chance to get EP cheap when they had no cap space during his last contract.. that's not his problem.

like i said go ahead and trade him. good luck building a "winner" with whatever you get in return and make use of whats remaining of Miller's prime.. you need a center that can carry the 2 wingers and the 2 defenceman he's playing with. i don't care what they spend with the cap.. they ain't getting a ppg player back hence we might as well go full rebuild especially with OEL buyout kicking in.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Tusk said:

Calgary was in the same position as we are with Petterson and signed him at 10.5x8 . Huberdeau had 115 points 2 years ago. while getting 5.6 Million.

Now he is getting nothing done to control or contribute to the team.

lol calgary are not in the same position as vancouver.. everyone in the league knows huberdeau production was a product of his team.. and wasn't wow huberdeau is one of the best player in the league.. and is 30 years old when his contract kicks in.. 26 year old vs 30 year old is a hughe difference..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, T. Demko said:

I know it's random but I think NJ would have swapped EP40 for Jack Hughes before this year... man would have been nice.

I don't feel safe to lock EP40 for a long term 12 mill contract.  Give him something shorter at less... he definitely is not at the McDavid, Mackinnon, Matthews level yet and should not be paid as such.

Luke and Jack for Thatcher and Elias?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol calgary are not in the same position as vancouver.. everyone in the league knows huberdeau production was a product of his team.. and wasn't wow huberdeau is one of the best player in the league.. and is 30 years old when his contract kicks in.. 26 year old vs 30 year old is a hughe difference..

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-huberdeau

Do a little investigation first man, his numbers never dropped off until he got this albatros of a contract. The fans complain, the media complains, everyone else worth anything wants off the team because there is no money left for them to resign.

I am just saying this example should be a warning to everyone. If petterson takes some huge bite of the Cap the other RFAs and UFAs will all be looking elsewhere.

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The team reportedly offered 11.25? 

Petey wants 12.5? 

I think the number if I had to guess, will be either 11.75 or 12M on the dot. There's your middle ground, no? 

I could live with that if that's how it plays out. Don't think he's earned that yet, but hopefully would be value in a few years. Honestly don't think mgmt is willing to go that high, but it's all based on conjecture of course.

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because the player said so = he took a discount?? so did he look into his crystal ball and guaranteed he was going to be the player he is today?? you can only take a discount on ur contract if he took less than what he have actual accomplished.. so what have he done in the first 3 seasons to get 8.7% of the cap and say that's a discount? his first 4 seasons in the league he was no where near a top 50 player.. by the same logic i guess QH took a discount too then when he signed his contract based on his 2nd season because he knows he was guaranteed to be a ppg player..

Just look it up. You'll find that not only did he say it, anyone looking at the deal did too.

Lol all you want but he did what the Sedins did and took less to go for a cup.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yes. And is on pace for 90+ again. 
He has immense value.  
Thanks for confirming what I had just stated 

Well, it's not what you said, but if you need the confirmation, sure. When you say someone is a 100 point player, it means that they are in fact, a 100 player. EP is not currently, though he did get over 100 points once in his career.

Obviously these numbers are guesstimates, but...

4x10.5 for 42 mill takes him to 30yo

then

7x13 for 91 million takes him to 37yo

Total 133 million

OR

8x12.5 for 100 million takes him to 34yo

Then 

3x8.5 for 25.5 million to finish his career

Total 125.5 million

Not only is a shorter term deal likely better for us to see how he does over the next four years rather than being locked in for 8 years, but it's also likely better for Petey if he's as good as he thinks he is.

• Vintage 1

Personally looking at Brock Boeser I think he

Has way more potential. I dont know why petterson

and all of you think he is worth so much.

Petterson's rookie season.           2018-19

Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks

NHL

|

Boeser's rookie season.              2017-18 Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   62 29 26 55 -5 16 |

14 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Look at Auston Matthews.  Forget how well he's scoring right now.  He had a down year statistically (but not analytically) last season and he still got the bag.  If McDavid continued to struggle this season, do you think that would've affected his future salary?  Why do you think somone like Elias Pettersson is not one of the top players in the league?

By all means, go ahead and try to lowball Petey just because he's had an uneven season.  I'm sure that'll really help the negotiation process.  😒

I think people's frustration is mostly to do with these continued comparisons to MCd and AM and suggesting EP should be paid similarly. These 2 players, whom I don't even like, have already consistently proven they are SuperStar/ Generational players. Both with multiple 40 goal seasons, each with a 60+ goal season, and the trophies.

In AM's down year you referenced, he scored 40 goals.

55 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Well, it's not what you said, but if you need the confirmation, sure. When you say someone is a 100 point player, it means that they are in fact, a 100 player. EP is not currently, though he did get over 100 points once in his career.

Well ok. Sure.  You are right.  He is not a 100 point player.  
He is IN FACT a 102 point player.  
You can wiggle your words around to try to make a point all you want, but at the end of the day, he is a 102 point player who is on pace to come damn close to it again this year. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

With rumours of EP wanting to play with Nylander, maybe tell him to come down a bit (say $10-10.5M) so Canucks can sign Nylander in the offseason. 😁

Would be a dream come true if that were to happen. There's our other top six player.