[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

Calgary was in the same position as we are with Petterson and signed him at 10.5x8 . Huberdeau had 115 points 2 years ago. while getting 5.6 Million.

Now he is getting nothing done to control or contribute to the team.

Huberdeau hadn’t played a minute with the club and is 30 not 25.   All contracts carry risk but it’s way more when joining a new team (and age) gets factored in.  Calgary is a pretty big offensive black hole - and fwiw it looks like Huberdeau isn’t a driver and we know Petey IS a driver of offence.  It’s not a good comparison.

There is a conversation around how much the club can commit to Petey while building a contending roster - but assuming Pettersson’s play is going to fall off is not the issue.  I think it’s fair to assume he’ll be a PPG perhaps PPG+ player the next 5-6 years with good two way stats.  But he’ll battle some injuries with his A-frame and have some lacklustre stretches.  All in all, he’s a franchise 1C entering his prime.  I don’t think he should get paid the most in the league, but he’s going to be just a notch or two down from there. Whether with us or someone else.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

I think people's frustration is mostly to do with these continued comparisons to MCd and AM and suggesting EP should be paid similarly. These 2 players, whom I don't even like, have already consistently proven they are SuperStar/ Generational players. Both with multiple 40 goal seasons, each with a 60+ goal season, and the trophies.

In AM's down year you referenced, he scored 40 goals.

Nobody is saying he gets as much Matthews but take him and knock about 1.5 mil off with a little more term and you have Petey - who has consistently been a PPG player and averaged 34 goals over 82 games in his career so far. 

He’s a top 10 C in the league entering his prime.  Signing him (or someone like him) is just the cost of doing business if you want to contend.

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Nobody is saying he gets as much Matthews but take him and knock about 1.5 mil off with a little more term and you have Petey - who has consistently been a PPG player and averaged 34 goals over 82 games in his career so far. 

He’s a top 10 C in the league entering his prime.  Signing him (or someone like him) is just the cost of doing business if you want to contend.

did Matthews or McD get a cup??? you spend all your money on one player you aint going to be deep enough.

Look at Vegas Cap when they won. Look at Tampa. No mcdavids or matthews or even Crosby numbers

I've been nothing  but impressed with Petey during his time here and hope he works things out with Allvin, but something feels off about him in the last 6-8 weeks.  It wouldn't be surprising if his ego is getting sucked into all of this and that it's affecting his play.  If he wants to be paid like a top C in the league that would create some internal pressure.  In my view he isn't a 12.5 million player and I'd expect Allvin to have a drop-dead number somewhere in the 11 million range.  If it comes to a trade I'd be looking for something like Aho plus a pick, done sooner than later in Rutherford style. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

With rumours of EP wanting to play with Nylander, maybe tell him to come down a bit (say $10-10.5M) so Canucks can sign Nylander in the offseason. 😁

Where are those rumours?

Do you have a source?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kuzmenko, Woo and a 1st for Nylander. No way we'd be able to afford it next year.

Yep. That would be trading everyone away in the summer if we didnt actually win the Cup. But we can do it as is so why fuck around? We could do it a couple years in a row. Even if we win this year and Petey gets his huge offer from another team we could still be contenders with the cap space and picks we could get.

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-huberdeau

Do a little investigation first man, his numbers never dropped off until he got this albatros of a contract. The fans complain, the media complains, everyone else worth anything wants off the team because there is no money left for them to resign.

I am just saying this example should be a warning to everyone. If petterson takes some huge bite of the Cap the other RFAs and UFAs will all be looking elsewhere.

investigation? he's literally a 85-90 point career guy on a strong panther team right up till the year he was traded when his team was scoring more than normal hence his high assist.. he averages about 30 assist per year his career on even strength and all of a sudden shot up to 50 when barkov and duclair was all shooting well above their career high in shooting %.. everyone that's not looking at pure stats knows his number is an outlier.. 

if huderdeau is still putting in 100+ points a season.. the fans media wouldn't complain.. the calgary players are complaining coz their team is trash.. not because there's no money left for them the re-sign.. what rfa of siginficance do we have that is looking for a pay day and is looking to sign elsewhere because of money? podkolzin? hoglander? or are we talking about 5-6 years down the road the lekkerimaki willander? we have how much of our cap allocated to players not producing anywhere close to what they are paid?? prolly 10+ mil? and how much more in buy out penalty?? i worry about those before worry about 1 of your top player being paid 1-2mil more than what YOU think they are worth

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

investigation? he's literally a 85-90 point career guy on a strong panther team right up till the year he was traded when his team was scoring more than normal hence his high assist.. he averages about 30 assist per year his career on even strength and all of a sudden shot up to 50 when barkov and duclair was all shooting well above their career high in shooting %.. everyone that's not looking at pure stats knows his number is an outlier.. 

if huderdeau is still putting in 100+ points a season.. the fans media wouldn't complain.. the calgary players are complaining coz their team is trash.. not because there's no money left for them the re-sign.. what rfa of siginficance do we have that is looking for a pay day and is looking to sign elsewhere because of money? podkolzin? hoglander? or are we talking about 5-6 years down the road the lekkerimaki willander? we have how much of our cap allocated to players not producing anywhere close to what they are paid?? prolly 10+ mil? and how much more in buy out penalty?? i worry about those before worry about 1 of your top player being paid 1-2mil more than what YOU think they are worth

I live in Saint John, New Brunswick. Theres been a few Memorial cups won here. On the Sea Dogs Huberdeau was a playmaker and with someone to pass to, he is amazing. Of course, that was QMJHL so like 8 years ago, but I have watched him be the best player on the ice consistently, and followed him over the years (not stalking like DLC with JTM)

I think he is just not a fit in Calgary and could be a great fit in Van, and with all the talks about buying out his contract I bet they would trade and retain %50 cap hit/salary..... So I dont know how bad Petey wants a 10 million cap hit with the pressure.

Huberdeau has alot of upside if you get him at half his contract. And if Calgary does an OEL buyout they get hit worse, at least we could give them something back like a Kuzmenko or Garlund.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Just look it up. You'll find that not only did he say it, anyone looking at the deal did too.

Lol all you want but he did what the Sedins did and took less to go for a cup.

MacKinnon took less to go for the cup?  When he signed his second deal they weren’t even a playoff team and Makar wasn’t even drafted yet. How exactly did he know they were going to be a Stanley cup contender?  They were literally the worst team in the entire NHL a year after he signed his deal. 

As for taking less, MacKinnon was coming off 38 and 53 point seasons, so how is signing for $6.3 million taking a discount with those numbers? 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

50 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Where are those rumours?

Do you have a source?

It was on some podcast about Nylander and EP going to CHI next year.  Something stupid like that.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Petey thread, with MacKinnon and Huberdeau making appearances. Too funny.

Petey shouldn't be anywhere near MacKinnon dollars ($12.6), Mac is at a whole different level.

For the past 7 consecutive years MacK has been at over 100 point pace, while producing huge numbers every playoffs, and he brought a SC to his team

EP40 has no where near the same body of work. Somewhere in between Aho and Tkapuke should be the comps for salary, but I prefer to fill other needs here that can be acquired in trading him. 

We're finally building a winner here, and the Alien isn't above the team.

Petey is on the same pace in his career as MacKinnon. MacKinnon had 97 points in his 5th season. Petey had 102 points last year in his 5th season. Petey is on pace for 99 points this year. MacKinnon also had 99 points in his 6th season. 

MacKinnon never hit 100 points until his 10th year in the NHL. Petey has already accomplished that after only 5 seasons. So, up until their same ages their body of work is very similar.  

Sorry, but the numbers don’t align with your post. 

• Haha 1

so if it is 12.5 million a year he is looking for that works out to about $125,000 per point. Better hope he averages 100 points per season at that rate.

Miller only needs to average about 65 points at that rate.

Dakota Joshua is already at $1,875,000 at that rate.

This could get really expensive.

Just trying to be fair to everyone on the team.

It is a team sport.

Edited by Joe King

5 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

EP can't up and go as a free agent to Chicago next year. 

No but he can certainly force a trade like Tkachuk.

7 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

EP can't up and go as a free agent to Chicago next year. 

Chicago can make a qualifying offer. Dont worry we would get tons back, 4 first round picks I think at least

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Also, EP can just accept the QO from Canucks (to retain his rights) and then be a UFA the season after.  He can go anywhere to the highest bidder.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Also, EP can just accept the QO from Canucks (to retain his rights) and then be a UFA the season after.  He can go anywhere to the highest bidder.

Salary Calculation

Maximum AAV Multiplier
PREVIOUS AAV:$7,350,000
120% OF AAV MAX:$8,820,000
Final Year Salary Multiplier
PREVIOUS SALARY:$10,250,000
SIGNING BONUS:$0
BASE SALARY:$10,250,000
MULTIPLICATION FACTOR:100%
Result
QO DETERMINED FROM:120% of AAV Maximum
QUALIFYING OFFER:$8,820,000

Type Determination

GP REQUIRED LAST SEASON:60
TOTAL GP LAST SEASON:36
GP REQUIRED PREVIOUS 3 SEASONS:180
TOTAL GP PREVIOUS 3 SEASONS:196
CLEARED WAIVERS LAST SEASON:No

QUALIFYING OFFER TYPE:Two-Way

Id pay Petey at max 11×8 or 10.25×4/5 he's not Kucherov or Mackinnon... we get biased as fans but these are reality.

We need to watch our Cap especially with the OEL buyout increasing. We should pay for value now not future possible value and Petey’s not worth anymore than 10.25.... on a 8 yr deal maybe add a million. #FACTS 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

Chicago can make a qualifying offer. Dont worry we would get tons back, 4 first round picks I think at least

4 high end 1sts at that... And if that's the case pull the trigger. I doubt it comes to that EP40 is a good player and seems to like it here. He's gone on record stating he wants to win in no scenario do I see him wanting to be in Chicago.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

10,750,000+ is 4 1sts.  
TBH, I take the picks.  
At least 2 of those picks will be top 5 at least. 
We would have huge amounts of caps space and a ton of 1st round picks.  
Make a trade for a new top 6 center, and continue to build on the prospect pool.  

Id much rather not trade/lose Petey, but IMO, if he wants anything less than a 6 year deal, we should make him available.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tusk said:

did Matthews or McD get a cup??? you spend all your money on one player you aint going to be deep enough.

Look at Vegas Cap when they won. Look at Tampa. No mcdavids or matthews or even Crosby numbers

What is to look at in Vegas? 10mil eichel? 9.5 stone? 8.8 pietrangelo? Literally all 3 is higher than all of the Canucks currently. Vegas won coz they have value up and down their lineup exceeding their salary. Thompson and hill replaced the ir Lehner they ain’t paying a myers 6 mil or a garland 5mil to play hard or are they burden with a bunch of buyouts. 

they literally proof u can win with players on big contract and they have 3 of them. Even ep at 11 or 12 mil still not as much as their top 3 combine

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

10,750,000+ is 4 1sts.  
TBH, I take the picks.  
At least 2 of those picks will be top 5 at least. 
We would have huge amounts of caps space and a ton of 1st round picks.  
Make a trade for a new top 6 center, and continue to build on the prospect pool.  

Id much rather not trade/lose Petey, but IMO, if he wants anything less than a 6 year deal, we should make him available.  

If they dont come to an agreement in july, Vancouver does the QUALIFYING OFFER:$8,820,000

If Petey accepts as a RFA to keep his rights we get him another affordable year and then he is UFA and we can talk again. If another team offers more than the QUALIFYING OFFER:$8,820,000 we could still match it, or let him go if its too much and take all the picks.

I honestly don’t care what ep gets at the end but I just find the fanbase hilarious and only throw out numbers that benefits them. Every player on the team should take pay cuts. When using comparable we will only use the absolute lowest of comparable for every player. With Horvat it was rnh with miller it was landeskog iirc and ep it’s aho and Barzal even though it’s not really comparable. So what about panarin? The guy that makes 11.6 on the cap. Haven’t had a 100 point season nor 40 goal campaign?