[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

What is to look at in Vegas? 10mil eichel? 9.5 stone? 8.8 pietrangelo? Literally all 3 is higher than all of the Canucks currently. Vegas won coz they have value up and down their lineup exceeding their salary. Thompson and hill replaced the ir Lehner they ain’t paying a myers 6 mil or a garland 5mil to play hard or are they burden with a bunch of buyouts. 

they literally proof u can win with players on big contract and they have 3 of them. Even ep at 11 or 12 mil still not as much as their top 3 combine

Right.... and this is the last year because they have a bunch of UFA's they will be losing due to cap.

Do you want to sign Petey too high and then lose Demko? Boeser? Heronik? I mean depending on the petey number we might lose Heronic this summer too.

13 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

10,750,000+ is 4 1sts.  
TBH, I take the picks.  
At least 2 of those picks will be top 5 at least. 
We would have huge amounts of caps space and a ton of 1st round picks.  
Make a trade for a new top 6 center, and continue to build on the prospect pool.  

Id much rather not trade/lose Petey, but IMO, if he wants anything less than a 6 year deal, we should make him available.  

Again if Chicago is going to make a play for ep they will offer 1 year 8.5.. it’ll take ep to ufa if Vancouver match and they won’t be allowed to trade him. Chicago and offer 11-12 the following year and give Canucks nothing lol no one is dumb to make a 10.7+ and give up 4 1st when they can offer less and wait 1 year 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tusk said:

If they dont come to an agreement in july, Vancouver does the QUALIFYING OFFER:$8,820,000

If Petey accepts as a RFA to keep his rights we get him another affordable year and then he is UFA and we can talk again. If another team offers more than the QUALIFYING OFFER:$8,820,000 we could still match it, or let him go if its too much and take all the picks.

Yeah I know how it works. 
No one is sending an offer sheet for less than 10.75mill as the Canucks would easily match it fast as can be.  
If it’s 4 picks, I think Canucks consider it. 
Hell, that means Petey signed it and clearly wants to be elsewhere.  
IMO Of it got to that point, I take the picks

• Cheers 1

Just now, Tusk said:

Right.... and this is the last year because they have a bunch of UFA's they will be losing due to cap.

Do you want to sign Petey too high and then lose Demko? Boeser? Heronik? I mean depending on the petey number we might lose Heronic this summer too.

Ep contract have nothing to do with anyone else. They have Myers coming off the book. Ep getting 3 mil more Myers replacement getting 3mil less it just off sets. The Canucks screwed themselves with all the overpaid contracts they have plus buy outs 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Again if Chicago is going to make a play for ep they will offer 1 year 8.5.. it’ll take ep to ufa if Vancouver match and they won’t be allowed to trade him. Chicago and offer 11-12 the following year and give Canucks nothing lol no one is dumb to make a 10.7+ and give up 4 1st when they can offer less and wait 1 year 

Fair enough.  
Good thing Chicago isn’t run by a bunch of crooks and assholes……..

Do you think they’d try it knowing we would obviously be sending offers to Bedard at first chance?

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I honestly don’t care what ep gets at the end but I just find the fanbase hilarious and only throw out numbers that benefits them. Every player on the team should take pay cuts. When using comparable we will only use the absolute lowest of comparable for every player. With Horvat it was rnh with miller it was landeskog iirc and ep it’s aho and Barzal even though it’s not really comparable. So what about panarin? The guy that makes 11.6 on the cap. Haven’t had a 100 point season nor 40 goal campaign? 

32 years old and just getting to his prime like JTM. Not some young bambi. and he has been over a point per game consistently on a team that actually had cap space.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kuzmenko, Woo and a 1st for Nylander. No way we'd be able to afford it next year.

Yeah, that's an all in deal for sure. I probably wouldn't do that. The team's very good, but I'm not convinced that they're contender good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Fair enough.  
Good thing Chicago isn’t run by a bunch of crooks and assholes……..

Do you think they’d try it knowing we would obviously be sending offers to Bedard at first chance?

I don’t think they are dumb enough to let bedard reach rfa they will get a contract done prior to him even reaching rfa. I mean if there are teams interested the 8.4 offer that forces Canucks to match but walks ep to ufa is the way to go from any team. They prolly pre negotiated with ep about signing him the following season as ufa. I don’t think that is tempering as teams are allowed to negotiate with rfa I think 

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t think they are dumb enough to let bedard reach rfa they will get a contract done prior to him even reaching rfa. I mean if there are teams interested the 8.4 offer that forces Canucks to match but walks ep to ufa is the way to go from any team. They prolly pre negotiated with ep about signing him the following season as ufa. I don’t think that is tempering as teams are allowed to negotiate with rfa I think 

what if Alvin and Chicago already hatched a deal for Bedard and their next first (unprotected)

5 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

I could live with that if that's how it plays out. Don't think he's earned that yet, but hopefully would be value in a few years. Honestly don't think mgmt is willing to go that high, but it's all based on conjecture of course.

I mean, I'd give it to him. He is the franchise (along with Hughes). Can't afford to lose him, and prove to Hughes that we're serious about contention. Petey would be a very difficult piece to replace. Some posters on here have shared that he's not the kind of player that comes along very often, so if we lose him, we're not replacing the player for sure. I think it also takes a hit with us winning. I'm not convinced that Miller can be the man moving forward. Petey is still 25 yo, unlike Miller, who's entering into the other side of his 30's. Petey and Hughes are going to be the guys. So we need to lock them up. For me, whatever it takes, until it doesn't make sense in terms of roster construction. If there's no money going to the rest of the roster, they're not going to be winning much games. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Tusk said:

what if Alvin and Chicago already hatched a deal for Bedard and their next first (unprotected)

I doubt it. It would be an incredible deal to bring Bedard home. i'd be getting his jersey right away. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I doubt it. It would be an incredible deal to bring Bedard home. i'd be getting his jersey right away. 

Its about the only way to make all Vancouver happy with letting Petey go.

11 minutes ago, Tusk said:

lol the Chicago fan base would riot. Bedard is worth way more than EP even right now and u want them to throw in a first on top lol the only chance we have at bedard is prolly either ufa or the last year of his rfa like Matthew tkachuk

Edited by wai_lai416

9 minutes ago, Joe King said:

If indeed it is true about holding out for a maximum payout. I will have a new nickname for him. Instead of Alien how about Greedy Petey.

more like when the cap crunch comes from OEL it will be LONG-TERM INJURED RESERVE Petey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the Chicago fan base would riot. Bedard is worth way more than EP even right now and u want them to throw in a first on top lol the only chance we have at bedard is prolly either ufa or the last year of his rfa like Matthew tkachuk

you just explained why Petey is not worth more than JTM

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Francesco was the one who pushed the rebuild through free agency plan and hired inexperienced people in Linden, Benning and Desjardins who would be willing to do what the owner told them to do.

In 2018 Linden went to the owners and asked permission to switch from the build through free agency plan to a Toronto model of scorched earth rebuild.

Francesco removed Linden and elevated Benning because he was willing to remain to be his yes-man.

It took Smyl stepping up in order to get the owners to wake up and force Francesco to give up control and allow Rutherford to do a major rebuild.

Because Brackett had drafted well in 2017 and 2018 we ended up with Pettersson and Hughes and them along with Demko meant we could do a major core rebuild over a scorched earth one in order to turn this ship around.

The question to ask is this though...

Will Francesco allow Rutherford the time to complete his rebuild, or will he push for him top speed it up which will mean we will fail to become a contender

Cant trust this ownership group ever

I loved the Rutherford hiring, however, I don't trust the Aquilini;'s to not step in and somehow screw this up, so think about that for a while and try not to be so gullible.

I am fully aware of what happened with our last management group and with Trevor Linden. I know people who have worked with every management group we've had and also people connected to the Aquilinis through their farming business. So believe me, I've heard it all and also have been concerned about the Aquilinis for a long time. But that was before and this is now. The team was in shambles after Linden left and Benning then traded for

Ekman-Larsson|Garland. Once that happened the Aquilinis really started to realize that they need to make some behaviour changes. It was becoming a situation where even their needs and wants would not be met (making money!).

So Aquilini swallowed his pride and flew to see Rutherford and then accepted to fully hand over control to Rutherford and company. Judging by the fact that we now have more top prospects than ever and also five players all in the top 25 scorers in the league; on top of being in the top five teams in the league. I'd say my point stands.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Mcdavid makes 12.5 mil a year. Compared to him Petey should not get more than 11 mil a year. 

JT Miller makes 8 million a year (9.5mil salary, going down over the term) Compared to him, Petey should not get more than 8 Million a year.

6 minutes ago, Tusk said:

JT Miller makes 8 million a year (9.5mil salary, going down over the term) Compared to him, Petey should not get more than 8 Million a year.

Miller’s contract has the risk of being an anchor at the end due to his age.  Petey is signing for his prime.  

All you’re doing is explaining why going for a higher AAV now, for longer leads to bargains down the road for prime aged players.  Older guys sign for longer to be a bargain today and a risk down the line. 

If management wants to go a little cheaper today for shorter I can see the logic there, but you’re going to have the exact same concerns 3-4 years from now.  Then there’s the fact he can just walk himself to UFA in a year and get paid whatever he wants.

This isn’t the situation to play hardball.

If you want to trade him this offseason, then fine but you’re throwing away the benefit of having Miller signed for a bargain unless you can maintain/improve on Petey ASAP.  

That’s the conundrum.  

We have Miller, Hughes and Demko signed for great value RIGHT NOW.  

Getting rid of the 4th member of the core and wasting that advantage is a pretty sizable risk.

Edited by The Duke

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

I guess I am just thinking if we give petey 11 million its his last year so at least we get the cup this year. Maybe just give him 15mil. Everyone will want to come play in Vancouver with the big bucks

30 minutes ago, Tusk said:

you just explained why Petey is not worth more than JTM

lol? coz age is not a factor right? what part of JTM is comparable to aho barzal or whoever else? just the age factor alone he's not even in the same conversation.. barzal aho EP and whoever else is more than likely to get their peak performance for the full 7 or 8 years.. JTM? we'll be lucky if he can keep this for more than 3 years.

10 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Miller’s contract has the risk of being an anchor at the end due to his age.  Petey is signing for his prime.  

All you’re doing is explaining why going for a higher AAV now, for longer leads to bargains down the road for prime aged players.  Older guys sign for longer to be a bargain today and a risk down the line. 

If management wants to go a little cheaper today for shorter I can see the logic there, but you’re going to have the exact same concerns 3-4 years from now.  Then there’s the fact he can just walk himself to UFA in a year and get paid whatever he wants.

This isn’t the situation to play hardball.

If you want to trade him this offseason, then fine but you’re throwing away the benefit of having Miller signed for a bargain unless you can maintain/improve on Petey ASAP.  

That’s the conundrum.  

We have Miller, Hughes and Demko signed for great value RIGHT NOW.  

Getting rid of the 4th member of the core and wasting that advantage is a pretty sizable risk.

it's ok we can use the 10mil we save from EP and sign 2 more garland like players at 5mil each so they can play hard and grind every night

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1