[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

On 12/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, EdgarM said:

The article stated that, that's what was being offered and he refused. He is looking in the 12.5 million range.

I believe that management stops at 11.5 million.

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Pettersson signs at 10.5-11 million, or Pettersson gets traded.

You never know what’s going to happen in the league these days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

I believe that management stops at 11.5 million.

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Pettersson signs at 10.5-11 million, or Pettersson gets traded.

You never know what’s going to happen in the league these days.

Pettersson isn't getting traded, unless it's for Bedard, but I personally think 11 Million for 8 years is the magic number, 88 million deal.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Pettersson isn't getting traded, unless it's for Bedard, but I personally think 11 Million for 8 years is the magic number, 88 million deal.

40x40x40x40x4= $10.240,000...😁

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Petey signs before the trade deadline. Gives management an idea of how much they can spend entering into it. 

I think the team probably needs one more top four defenseman and a top six forward. One of those is going to probably get filled at the deadline, the other, in the off-season. Allvin has a lot of work ahead of him this off-season. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Dizzle said:

The downside of Leafs nation overhyping their stars. 

No way Willie is worth that in another market. 

but we all know that there is a crazy GM out there that will offer him that deal. If Toronto isn't going to pay it, someone else will. 

Nylander is on the verge of signing for 8 years at $11.25 million.  That puts Petey right around $12 million.  I say he will sign at $11.875 million for 8 years and he will sign prior to the all-star break.  That's $95 million in total money...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Just because Treliving is willing to make another terrible deal it doesn't mean we need to follow him.

Nylander isn't worth that price. 

No, he's not, he's worth a lot less than that. But you know, Toronto fans would go crazy if they lost Nylander. None of their big four are going to win, because they don't have room for anything else on the roster. Their defense is horrible, and that's the one thing a team needs to progress through the playoffs, and win championships. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nylander is on the verge of signing for 8 years at $11.25 million.  That puts Petey right around $12 million.  I say he will sign at $11.875 million for 8 years and he will sign prior to the all-star break.  That's $95 million in total money...

I hope so. no gaurantee he'll sign before the all-star break even. he hasn't signed up to this point, not sure why he would sign at the break.

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No, he's not, he's worth a lot less than that. But you know, Toronto fans would go crazy if they lost Nylander. None of their big four are going to win, because they don't have room for anything else on the roster. Their defense is horrible, and that's the one thing a team needs to progress through the playoffs, and win championships. 

It's funny because they hated his last deal.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is what Petey’s agent will propose, but Nylander is entering UFA this summer, so he has the Leafs more by the balls. Those Leafs are single-handedly inflating NHL salaries simply through their brutal bending to their fancy four. Shame on them. 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This is what Petey’s agent will propose, but Nylander is entering UFA this summer, so he has the Leafs more by the balls. Those Leafs are single-handedly inflating NHL salaries simply through their brutal bending to their fancy four. Shame on them. 

You'd think with all these good old Ontario boys (Tavares?) wanting to play for them, you'd think they'd get a few more UFAs at a reasonable price.   Instead they have to wait until they are past their due date (Thornton/Spezza...who used to be their enemy) and sign these guys to really expensive deals.    Can't be easy for the GMs that's for sure.    Dubas and Chakya were the supposed advanced stat big brains, both of them screwed up, with all their big math problems.    I highly doubt Nylander is getting that deal somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You'd think with all these good old Ontario boys (Tavares?) wanting to play for them, you'd think they'd get a few more UFAs at a reasonable price. 

Tavares stuck it to them when he came home. When he signed he became the 2nd highest paid player in the league (1.5 less than mcdavid). No hometown discount for them.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Tavares stuck it to them when he came home. When he signed he became the 2nd highest paid player in the league (1.5 less than mcdavid). No hometown discount for them.

He sure did.   These guys don't take discounts.   They look at the bottom line or net pay.   Not very often anyways.   NYI is also a high tax team.  Crazy as it seems,  Stamkos signed almost the exact same overall money deal, as was offered by SJ and TO.   Which was reported at even more money - over 12.   But the take home, with the extra year, was virtually identical, did he really take a discount then?   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He sure did.   These guys don't take discounts.   They look at the bottom line or net pay.   Not very often anyways.   NYI is also a high tax team.  Crazy as it seems,  Stamkos signed almost the exact same overall money deal, as was offered by SJ and TO.   Which was reported at even more money - over 12.   But the take home, with the extra year, was virtually identical.   

IMHAO money isn’t the biggest reason why some players prefer the US markets. It’s more to do with the anonymity they have down there. They can live their lives away from the rink and just be a regular Joe. Up here that’s not the case. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Just because Treliving is willing to make another terrible deal it doesn't mean we need to follow him.

Nylander isn't worth that price. 

It doesn't matter.  He will be the most recent comp.  And Allvin has already offered Petey the exact same contract and it was rejected.  Paying Petey $11.875 million to lock him up for 8 years is not a terrible deal.  Just wait until Hughes signs for $14 million, I can see all the wet blankets out there screaming...

• Cheers 4

59 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Also set their ridiculous salary structure up.  That signing was possibly the worst move Dubas made, and he made a lot of stupid decisions.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It doesn't matter.  He will be the most recent comp.  And Allvin has already offered Petey the exact same contract and it was rejected.  Paying Petey $11.875 million to lock him up for 8 years is not a terrible deal.  Just wait until Hughes signs for $14 million, I can see all the wet blankets out there screaming...

Yea, no one is 'screaming' . It's ok to have a discussion on cap issues, it doesn't make someone a wet blanket or bad fan. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The "wet blankets" might scream if Petey gets those terms, for Huggy Bear not so much.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we get Petey at that number for 8 years that’s great! But IMHAO he will sign a short term at 9.5 per. 

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nice! You're exactly right on the most recent comp. And you're right again in that it isn't a terrible idea as compared to the comp. And ... spot on about the wet blankets. Trifecta achieved! 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When did this happen?