[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Dhaliwal also said it seems like Petey’s agent is “stalling.” Maybe Petey has told him they’re waiting till after the season or something.  

Or until his play returns to early season form 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Dhaliwal also said it seems like Petey’s agent is “stalling.” Maybe Petey has told him they’re waiting till after the season or something.  

I'm thinking they're waiting on the Nylander deal to get done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm sure they want to get some comparable contracts booked based on the projected cap increase.  There's more risk to pettersson to wait than the canucks and with the progress the team has made he would be hard pressed to find a better fit and potential to win in his prime years.  Makes too much sense for a deal to get done and it will get done.

33 minutes ago, The Duke said:

So how can a deal be rejected when they supposedly haven't started negotiations yet? 

Rick is talking out of his rear. He did the same thing with Boeser. 

Dhaliwal has gone done hill, ever since Dan Russell went off the air.

He was a fine replacement, for Scott Woodgate, as producer for Sportstalk; but should have styed off the air, and in the shadows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Waiting for Nylander to set the market is my guess. They know Toronto is gonna fuck things up for everyone else with their overpayments. Watch Nylander get 11-12mil or something stupid. Petey can use that as an excuse to potentially get north of 12mil himself.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So how can a deal be rejected when they supposedly haven't started negotiations yet? 

Rick is talking out of his rear. He did the same thing with Boeser. 

IIRC he said that Petey didn’t accept the one offer and that the Canucks are pushing to get something done.  

Stalling could mean he’s not giving a lot of options back beyond not accepting.

Not saying Dhaliwal is correct at all, but it makes sense that one side is in a hurry to get things done and Petey isn’t.

Just now, The Duke said:

IIRC he said that Petey didn’t accept the one offer and that the Canucks are pushing to get something done.  

Stalling could mean he’s not giving a lot of options back beyond not accepting.

Not saying Dhaliwal is correct at all, but it makes sense that one side is in a hurry to get things done and Petey isn’t.

It's what guys like Rick do. It's the old "I'm hearing...." Thing with no proof. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rick Dhaliwal reported it...

Petey rejected 11.875M over 8 years? Maybe if they bump it up to 12M even over 8 years. 

This is going to get ugly isn't it....

31 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Waiting for Nylander to set the market is my guess. They know Toronto is gonna fuck things up for everyone else with their overpayments. Watch Nylander get 11-12mil or something stupid. Petey can use that as an excuse to potentially get north of 12mil himself.

I mean, it's smart on the player to get as much money as they can, so I don't blame them for doing that. If I were a professional NHL player, I'd want to do the same. 

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

waiting to the off-season would be the worse case scenario in my opinion. There's so much to do in a short time frame, and what if contract negotations don't get done until the season starts? Then it's a ticking time bomb, almost feels like if negotations get to that point, then it's inenvitable that he'll either be traded, or he walks as a UFA (which is unlikely, he'll be traded, even if it's at a loss for the Canucks). Allvin's worse case scenario in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, it's smart on the player to get as much money as they can, so I don't blame them for doing that. If I were a professional NHL player, I'd want to do the same. 

And as a guy who wants his team to win. I'd rather just trade Petey and get assets we can use to get more cost effective players on better deals. If he wants 12mil. Let him get it somewhere else where they can not win anything. I get the idea of getting what you're worth but at the end of the day we live in a cap world. What has all those 11+mil players accomplished in Toronto. The first player In know of to make 10+mil and win the cup is Eichel. Depth wins you chips. Not 12mil dollar players. Even 10-11mil players don't win you cups currently. So yeah, let him get the bag somewhere else. We can buy 2 really good players for the price of one great player.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

And as a guy who wants his team to win. I'd rather just trade Petey and get assets we can use to get more cost effective players on better deals. If he wants 12mil. Let him get it somewhere else where they can not win anything. I get the idea of getting what you're worth but at the end of the day we live in a cap world. What has all those 11+mil players accomplished in Toronto. The first player In know of to make 10+mil and win the cup is Eichel. Depth wins you chips. Not 12mil dollar players. Even 10-11mil players don't win you cups currently. So yeah, let him get the bag somewhere else. We can buy 2 really good players for the price of one great player.

Assets? what assets? Picks and prospects, and then wait longer to hopefully go for it? 

We can afford Petey and QH (when he comes around) being paid top dollars. Especially with JT at $8M... We can't afford to over pay for supplementary players...

But a few stars we can.  

Letting go of Petey for assets is going to be a massive gamble... There is no guarantee, we get players even close to Petey for smaller $...

Brock and Kuz are not line drivers and they are paid $5-7M with a raise soon. Lets say around $8M for non line drivers... Peteys agent knows this, line drivers cost money and they will all be getting increases as their deal matures. 

$11-12M may be a big hit now, but in 3-4 years, it may look decent or like a steal, if the cap is now going to continue going up... If it goes up 5% each year over the next 8 years (if there is any reason it won't, please let me know as I'm none too sure), that is a 40% increase in cap. divided by 2 for average increase in 20%.

Suddenly a $11-12M contract isn't wild salary... But of course its a lot of money and a lot of maybes...

Real question is, will this core, Petey, Miller, Hughes and Demko be able to lead us to success (continued participation in the play offs, as nobody can be sure of a cup).

If so, then the contract will easily be worth it.

I still hope for no more than between $11-11.5M but haven't got a clue... 🙂

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Assets? what assets? Picks and prospects, and then wait longer to hopefully go for it? 

We can afford Petey and QH (when he comes around) being paid top dollars. Especially with JT at $8M... We can't afford to over pay for supplementary players...

But a few stars we can.  

Letting go of Petey for assets is going to be a massive gamble... There is no guarantee, we get players even close to Petey for smaller $...

Brock and Kuz are not line drivers and they are paid $5-7M with a raise soon. Lets say around $8M for non line drivers... Peteys agent knows this, line drivers cost money and they will all be getting increases as their deal matures. 

$11-12M may be a big hit now, but in 3-4 years, it may look decent or like a steal, if the cap is now going to continue going up... If it goes up 5% each year over the next 8 years (if there is any reason it won't, please let me know as I'm none too sure), that is a 40% increase in cap. divided by 2 for average increase in 20%.

Suddenly a $11-12M contract isn't wild salary... But of course its a lot of money and a lot of maybes...

Real question is, will this core, Petey, Miller, Hughes and Demko be able to lead us to success (continued participation in the play offs, as nobody can be sure of a cup).

If so, then the contract will easily be worth it.

I still hope for no more than between $11-11.5M but haven't got a clue... 🙂

Those picks and prospects can be flipped pretty quickly. We traded the 1st rounder from the Horvat trade barely 2 or 3 months after we acquired it. Besides we can't even really afford to properly pay supplementary players. Which is why we also can't afford to pay Bambi 12+mil when nobody else with a better cap structure can win with 11-12mil dollar players. Chicago never won a cup again after signing their big 2 to their mega deals, they won a cup in 14/15 then their extensions kicked in the next season and never even returned to the conference finals. Cap rises though, those deals always age really well they say. Until it doesn't and you're stuck with teams with no depth. Like Toronto and Chicago.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Those picks and prospects can be flipped pretty quickly. We traded the 1st rounder from the Horvat trade barely 2 or 3 months after we acquired it. Besides we can't even really afford to properly pay supplementary players. Which is why we also can't afford to pay Bambi 12+mil when nobody else with a better cap structure can win with 11-12mil dollar players. Chicago never won a cup again after signing their big 2 to their mega deals, they won a cup in 14/15 then their extensions kicked in the next season and never even returned to the conference finals. Cap rises though, those deals always age really well they say. Until it doesn't and you're stuck with teams with no depth. Like Toronto and Chicago.

Yeah well there is a difference in team building. Its not just about the mega wages being paid. 
If toronto spent the big wages handed out to Nylander and Tavares on a proper top pairing D which should be possible wiith $24M, they may actually be able to a lot better than they are now. 
Same with Oilers. 

Its all very well to say we just flip the picks for other players, but those players need to be available. 
We syruck gold with Hronek, but he is going to get a new contract, and how high are you willing to go with him?

Is he partly a product of QH or is he a legit 1st pairing D? Are we going to just flip him again for picks if we think he is too expensive? Point being, while there is a limit for any player, you'll get nowhere if you keep flipping the players everytime they get good. At some stage you got to run with your horses. 
Blackhawks two main players Kane and Toews were close to generational players and definitely elite players. You don't just flip some picks and prosoects and acquire players like them. You draft them or get them like Florida got Tkachuk cause they don't want to play for a franchise. But those players wants paid just like Petey. 
So if you hope to draft them, you may as well start all over, cause you rarely find that level of talent outside top 3... 

Petey, is around the same points total as JT

but 5 years younger and just about to enter his prime. 
You get Lekkerimaki and Willander to come in on cheap elcs or 2nd contracts to support (provided they continue their progress) and suddenly the money is available to pay Petey. 
Regardless, JR and Allvin have been through the same with superstars in Pittsburgh, so they know exactly, what can and can't be achieved. If they feel Petey isn't worth the money he wants, he'll be gone zero doubt about it, but up to $11-12M isn't far tetched if the cap is expected to continue to rise. 

12M x8 years. If the cap goes up 5% each year after 4 years it represents 12% of the cap. At the end of his contract it represents 10.2% 

$11M after 4 years 11% and at the end of his contract 9.5%...

Is that wild? 

And how about QH?

Edited by spook007

Sure glad this Management group has some common sense, some of these numbers being thrown around here are completely ridiculous. 

Thank God we are nothing like the idiots in Toronto. :classic_laugh:

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

650 and Dhaliwal brought up Jake Geuntzel and Thomas Novak as potential trade targets 

they acknowledged a lot of speculation no substance 

Kuzy + Hogs for Geuntzel and 3rd ?

JG would be a great fit with Petey 

• Cheers 3

On 1/2/2024 at 4:25 PM, Dizzle said:

The downside of Leafs nation overhyping their stars. 

No way Willie is worth that in another market. 

why wouldn't he be worth that number in another market if he continues his production? what have panarin done to be worth 11.6? what have tavares done to be worth 11? marner have that 97 point season and got himself a 11mil contract.. nylander is trending 110+ points right now.. he's been doing it without the marners and matthews.. he's literally been carrying tavares the past couple years.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

JT Miller is a comparable player to EP cept for age.

JT at this time is the better of the two, so if EP wants over 11 mill he is dreaming.

JT is a better player than EP at age 26?? JT have the superior linemates vs EP the current and last 2 seasons.. playing with QH and boeser exclusively 5v5 helps while EP playing exclusively with a guy who's career high is 32 points in his career. 

JT at 31 is at best = to EP at 26 so a guy's peak prime is = to another players start of prime therefore they should be paid the same because no way EP can improve? JT contract is only at 8.5 because his last 2-3 years maybe more is guaranteed to be an anchor unless a miracle happens and he's another Pavelski.. if he was 26 27 at the time? you think he's signing for 8.5mil? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yeah well there is a difference in team building. Its not just about the mega wages being paid. 
If toronto spent the big wages handed out to Nylander and Tavares on a proper top pairing D which should be possible wiith $24M, they may actually be able to a lot better than they are now. 
Same with Oilers. 

Its all very well to say we just flip the picks for other players, but those players need to be available. 
We syruck gold with Hronek, but he is going to get a new contract, and how high are you willing to go with him?

Is he partly a product of QH or is he a legit 1st pairing D? Are we going to just flip him again for picks if we think he is too expensive? Point being, while there is a limit for any player, you'll get nowhere if you keep flipping the players everytime they get good. At some stage you got to run with your horses. 
Blackhawks two main players Kane and Toews were close to generational players and definitely elite players. You don't just flip some picks and prosoects and acquire players like them. You draft them or get them like Florida got Tkachuk cause they don't want to play for a franchise. But those players wants paid just like Petey. 
So if you hope to draft them, you may as well start all over, cause you rarely find that level of talent outside top 3... 

Petey, is around the same points total as JT

but 5 years younger and just about to enter his prime. 
You get Lekkerimaki and Willander to come in on cheap elcs or 2nd contracts to support (provided they continue their progress) and suddenly the money is available to pay Petey. 
Regardless, JR and Allvin have been through the same with superstars in Pittsburgh, so they know exactly, what can and can't be achieved. If they feel Petey isn't worth the money he wants, he'll be gone zero doubt about it, but up to $11-12M isn't far tetched if the cap is expected to continue to rise. 

12M x8 years. If the cap goes up 5% each year after 4 years it represents 12% of the cap. At the end of his contract it represents 10.2% 

$11M after 4 years 11% and at the end of his contract 9.5%...

Is that wild? 

And how about QH?

I'm with you. Sign Petey! 

Some people are crazy to want to trade Petey. This guy's the franchise, you trade him, might as well start all over. Pretty sure most fans don't want that, given how good it feels to be winning again, after a decade of futility. 

• Cheers 1