[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, they've yet to re-sign a bona-fide star of Pettersson's caliber

In retrospect the Miller signing looks really good, but Miller supposedly took a bit less and likely opted for security over looking to bet on himself the way Pettersson has

Few probably expected Miller to fall off sooner than later, but I do think his contract does factor in a degree of decline in regards to overall cost

Management is savvy, but they can't control the prices other GM's set around the league more than any other management group, if Nylander hits a home run financially there absolutely could be implications for Pettersson's next deal

How they handle Pettersson now, Boeser sooner than later, and Demko and Hughes down the road will be interesting 

How Toronto has to eat contracts next summer will be more interesting. How many retention trades allowed? only 3 HA HA HA leafs are leaving the building next year.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

Petterson is worth more than Nylander all day everyday. The question is whether Nylander is worth 11.5. Either way, I have a hard time seeing Petey coming in under 12 after this (if the reports on Nylander are correct). 

Well points as is Nylander has more. According to most on here then he should right now get more money.

We have not had a real taste of EP in the playoffs, Nylander has been good for the Leafs and that's really when it matters.

Way I see it if EP wants 12 plus he needs to get 110 points this year and be a stand out in the playoffs helping us win at least a round.

Other wise he is a 10 to 11 mill guy at best.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Well points as is Nylander has more. According to most on here then he should right now get more money.

We have not had a real taste of EP in the playoffs, Nylander has been good for the Leafs and that's really when it matters.

Way I see it if EP wants 12 plus he needs to get 110 points this year and be a stand out in the playoffs helping us win at least a round.

Other wise he is a 10 to 11 mill guy at best.

I agree, I would actually take Willy over the other high paid leafs as he showed up come playoff time. I agree with the numbers for Petey. I would like to see what he can do for us is the playoffs when the real season begins.

P.S. The bubble playoffs don't count, I would like to see him when there is real pressure to perform. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I would say the signing this morning with Toronto, sets an expectation on Pettersson. Is we can do the same, 11.5 million x 8 years, I would just lock it in.

Agreed but I assume EP wants more. I expect current expectation is plus $12M. Hopefully they can get a deal done in the high $11M range so Mgmt can begin locking in other key pieces. The longer EP takes the less time Mgmt has to implement their subsequent plans.

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I would say the signing this morning with Toronto, sets an expectation on Pettersson. Is we can do the same, 11.5 million x 8 years, I would just lock it in.

I believe he already turned down that much, he was reported as looking for the 12.5 range instead.

34 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

12x8 for Petey. Get it done. 

54 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I believe he already turned down that much, he was reported as looking for the 12.5 range instead.

Yeah, Petey's camp is probably looking for $12.5.  Canucks and Allvin are probably wanting $11.25 or $11.5M. 

If it gets done, $12M x 8 will probably be the magic number.

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Agreed but I assume EP wants more. I expect current expectation is plus $12M. Hopefully they can get a deal done in the high $11M range so Mgmt can begin locking in other key pieces. The longer EP takes the less time Mgmt has to implement their subsequent plans.

Personally, I think that 11.5 gets it done, but we shall see.... 😉

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

We don't know what has been offered or what has been turned down or if they are getting into hard numbers. Everything out there is complete speculation by sites that really want everyone to believe that they have insider information that they really do NOT have!

If there is one thing I've noticed about this Canucks management group, they are exceptional about playing cards close. They do not release information about salary negotiations or even potential trades, until they are done.

They do not negotiate in public, no matter how much sites like Canucks Army and Canucks Daily want everyone to believe so that they can get more clicks on their highly speculative and really inaccurate click bait headlines.

Remember what they were bouncing around as potential return to Calgary to acquire Zadorov? Was about 3 - 4 times higher than what we gave up.

18 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Horvat’s 8.5 looking pretty nice right now.  Maybe we traded the wrong C.

Agreed, imagine Bo playing behind Miller and then saving 4 + Million to improve in other areas of the team? Yikes!

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, The Duke said:

So you'd rather have traded JT Miller?  The JT Miller with 53 points in 39 games and 53.9% on FOs? 

To keep Bo Horvat?  The Bo Horvat with 39 points in 38 games and 48.9% on FOs?

26 minutes ago, The Duke said:

nah, Bo still isn't worth 8.5. 

Dunno, I think if Petey really wanted to be here long term it would have been done by now. I get the hesitation, its been a shit show under Benning. 

Interesting days ahead. 

• Cheers 2

Petey wants to be on a winning team, he said so himself. If he thinks Van is or can be a cup contender, he going to have to take a slight discount.

You can't tie up majority of the cap on a select few players (like Toronto has done), this leaves no room for the role players and complimentary pieces necessary for playoff and long term success.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

So you'd rather have traded JT Miller?  The JT Miller with 53 points in 39 games and 53.9% on FOs? 

To keep Bo Horvat?  The Bo Horvat with 39 points in 38 games and 48.9% on FOs?

I was making a joke about Petey, actually.  As Edgar said, Bo and Miller in the 8s - both at PPG or more - and we’d be laughing.

Not that I’m upset or anything, hindsight and all, plus I do believe Petey will be better over the long stretch than either.  Just something I noticed.  

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 4